• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 28 - Aug 3 | The thirst is UNiEL

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You're probably not gonna see any movies with X-23, She-Hulk, Shuma Gorath, M.O.D.O.K., or Taskmater either.
There're more than just movies though.
Speaking of Taskmaster, would have been awesome if Marvel kept getting DLC costume support, and we got this Taskmaster who made a quick appearance in the comics recently.

3974384-tm1.jpg

That's because he's on Agents of Shield, imo.
I still believe in PsychWard.

also you owe me a spotlight, don't forget >:eek:

Dahbomb

Fuck no, I mean payoff as in interacting with people and helping them. I actually don't give a shit about salary, as long as it gets me through life I'm fine. I'm joining my uncle in a trek to Africa in a few years (provided I make it through med school without dying), so I'm pretty damn hype for that!
Please don't say that when you are interviewing for residency!

Because that is one of the first questions they ask you. If you say "I like to interact with people and help them" then they will say "then why are you becoming a doctor? Why not become a social worker instead?"

My personal reasons to becoming a doctor so people can see where I am coming from:

*Job security/stability. It's very difficult to get laid off or fired as a doctor. There is always demand for doctors and under the Affordable health care there is even more of a demand in the states.

*Transferability. If say my wife is an architect but she can only work in big cities... it is easier for me to relocate and transfer my job than it is for her to do the same for me. In fact I can transfer across countries as well and me being a multinational citizen is a big plus for me.

*Salary that is fair with the level of difficulty of the job. There are many difficult jobs out there that don't pay as well as they should... but you are well compensated for the work you do as a doctor. This is really more of a "doctors are fine, everyone else is just really behind".

*A talentless person can still be a decent doctor and provide for his/her family. What I mean by this is that in certain fields a certain level of innate talent is required to excel in the field otherwise you just can't survive. Sports are one example of this as are fields that require artistic talent. You don't need innate talent to be a doctor, you need average IQ, decent social skills and (most importantly) the capacity to do hard work. Many people can become a doctor if they put in the work.

There are other reasons too but these were the main reasons for me.

Astarte

Please don't say that when you are interviewing for residency!

Because that is one of the first questions they ask you. If you say "I like to interact with people and help them" then they will say "then why are you becoming a doctor? Why not become a social worker instead?"

My personal reasons to becoming a doctor so people can see where I am coming from:

*Job security/stability. It's very difficult to get laid off or fired as a doctor. There is always demand for doctors and under the Affordable health care there is even more of a demand in the states.

*Transferability. If say my wife is an architect but she can only work in big cities... it is easier for me to relocate and transfer my job than it is for her to do the same for me. In fact I can transfer across countries as well and me being a multinational citizen is a big plus for me.

*Salary that is fair with the level of difficulty of the job. There are many difficult jobs out there that don't pay as well as they should... but you are well compensated for the work you do as a doctor. This is really more of a "doctors are fine, everyone else is just really behind".

*A talentless person can still be a decent doctor and provide for his/her family. What I mean by this is that in certain fields a certain level of innate talent is required to excel in the field otherwise you just can't survive. Sports are one example of this as are fields that require artistic talent. You don't need innate talent to be a doctor, you need average IQ, decent social skills and (most importantly) the capacity to do hard work. Many people can become a doctor if they put in the work.

There are other reasons too but these were the main reasons for me.

I...I actually never thought about that. Those are actually pretty damn good reasons, I should sit down and really plan out my thoughts.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Wow Dahbomb, I thought I was the only one who was doing it because he was talentless.

Also, all the other points are really good reasons too, gotta think in the long run.

One of the reasons I'm doing it is because the power you have in your hands to effectively aid someone. Its almost ridiculous how much a doctor knows and can do with the knowledge he/she has acquired throughout the years to diagnose (with appropriate data) and alleviate symptoms in a patient. Not only that, people need you. You are practically the center of attention
sounds pretty narcissistic now that I think about it...
. Bunch of other more personal reasons too but everyone has their own story to share.

So being a Doctor is like playing anchor Vergil?

You have the power of an anchor Vergil with lvl 3 x-factor but needed the technical prowess of ChrisG's Morrigan at all times...

Dahbomb

So being a Doctor is like playing anchor Vergil?
It's like playing Magneto. There are no cheap short cuts to it. The cap is high but not the highest (businessman can earn far more than doctors can because there is no cap). It's an honest profession that rewards hard work and is overall very stable and adaptable to external factors.

Dahbomb

I...I actually never thought about that. Those are actually pretty damn good reasons, I should sit down and really plan out my thoughts.
I didn't mean to jump on you like that but I am just sharing some experiences so you don't make mistakes like I have (or others I know have). I told you this because this was an exact question asked to me but I was lucky enough where someone prepped me for the situation in advance.

Astarte

I didn't mean to jump on you like that but I am just sharing some experiences so you don't make mistakes like I have (or others I know have). I told you this because this was an exact question asked to me but I was lucky enough where someone prepped me for the situation in advance.

Nono, that was a pretty necessary jump. I don't think anyone would have prepped me for anything like that; I'd be too preoccupied with trying to come up with a response that isn't stammering. Okay, I'm really going to think about this one.

Seyavesh

Speaking of Taskmaster, would have been awesome if Marvel kept getting DLC costume support, and we got this Taskmaster who made a quick appearance in the comics recently.

no freaky skeleton face no buy

unless it's the udon costume

actually i like the one in ultimate spiderman too that's like a bit 'tactical modern armor' looking too

hmm i guess i just don't like the super high-tech/alien design

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
no freaky skeleton face no buy

unless it's the udon costume

actually i like the one in ultimate spiderman too that's like a bit 'tactical modern armor' looking too

hmm i guess i just don't like the super high-tech/alien design
It's nice to have variety. With Marvel, they have a near endless well of source material to pull from and Capcom they can always create new stuff because they own most of the IPs.

Would be cool if they had different themed costume packs, maybe one with retro versions, another with future versions, MAYBE EVEN A SUMMER DLC PACK :O

It also helps with creating themed teams, which, as we all know, is integral to team-building in the MvC franchise.

Uraizen

Banned
AH3 Love Max!!! is coming out around the same time as P4U in the US. Same day according to retailers, but y'know... place holders and what not.

alstein

AH3 Love Max!!! is coming out around the same time as P4U in the US. Same day according to retailers, but y'know... place holders and what not.

Arcana Heart is cursed in the US. The original was competing with MK and the great PSN crash.

AH2 had the horrid port.

Love Max coming out same day as Persona- wouldn't be shocked

All we need now is the Arcana vs Skullgirls crossover game while Mike Z sacrifices a goat to ensure maximum cursing. (maybe get the VAs drunk for extra cursing power)

Anne

Under Night In Birth EXE Late is dead.
Time to get ready for Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.

Somebody here is going to take this seriously ;_;

Edit: I went to the arcade today and there were 3 UNiEL set ups all being used and only one SF4 set up lol My local scene seems to be latching on to it where they didn't even give other games a chance. I think the simplicity and the level-ish playing field are really helping.

Arcana Heart is cursed in the US. The original was competing with MK and the great PSN crash.

AH2 had the horrid port.

All we need now is the Arcana vs Skullgirls crossover game while Mike Z sacrifices a goat to ensure maximum cursing. (maybe get the VAs drunk for extra cursing power)

I find it funny you mention this because it reminded me that my arcade once got an AH2 cab but it started having crashing issues within less than a week so they had to remove it and we never saw the game here again.

I think the simplicity and the level-ish playing field are really helping.

Yeah I think that's a big thing, although here it's not that "level-ish" since we're kinda divided into "people who have the game" and "people who only play it at the reunions" groups :T

Anne

I find it funny you mention this because it reminded me that my arcade once got an AH2 cab but it started having crashing issues within less than a week so they had to remove it and we never saw the game here again.

Yeah I think that's a big thing, although here it's not that "level-ish" since we're kinda divided into "people who have the game" and "people who only play it at the reunions" groups :T

Yeah, we have a couple people like that but they're around. The only really noticeable gap is myself and a couple other players come from multi game backgrounds and researched/practiced well.

alstein

The cab AH2 is on is known to be very fickle/unreliable. THe local arcade here was Daimon Bride/AH2 on a machine and it's regularly out of commission (they decided to put Love Max on a console instead)

As for the level playing field, I'm convinced its an illusion. I think it was truly level, the game would have done better in Japan.
That said, I noticed it locally, whenever a brand new shiny game comes out that is different, everyone flocks to it until someone breaks it, then they quit fast. I've killed some poverty games in the past, and had others killed for me.

I wish Colorado had more of a GG scene. It's mostly KoF and P4A, neither of which really clicked with me.

Does King Lowtier still play? A friend of mine would rave about his May skills. 'Course, this was nearly 9 years ago. Does Colorado still do the Colorado Cutthroat?

What I mean by this is that in certain fields a certain level of innate talent is required to excel in the field otherwise you just can't survive. Sports are one example of this as are fields that require artistic talent. You don't need innate talent to be a doctor, you need average IQ, decent social skills and (most importantly) the capacity to do hard work. Many people can become a doctor if they put in the work.

You don't need talent to be most things. Certainly not anything artistic. With sports, it only matters as far as height and body size are limiters to competing, so things like gymnastics, horse jockeying, etc.

petghost

Banned
one thing i found kinda strange while watching uniel is that it seems like basically everybody's average damage without using resources is high 2k's to low 3k's...there didnt seem to be a lot of variation in how hard people hit. i dont own the game so maybe im completely off though.

also i think the phrase "dead game" is one that i never really wanna hear again. the whole deja vu-like process of "game comes out, people are excited, others immediately decide its gonna die, something slightly negative happens or it just loses its new game luster, community at large decides its dead, people who wanted to play it continue to play it" its just incredibly tiresome.

AH2 had the horrid port.

Some true final destination type stuff would have to happen to stop either of them from doing well on PC. I think SG hit it's stride with the PC port and the IGG campaign. I bet AH3 would do the same.

stealth requesting PC ports of all remaining fighters here, especially mainstream and niche anime stuff
also i think the phrase "dead game" is one that i never really wanna hear again. the whole deja vu-like process of "game comes out, people are excited, others immediately decide its gonna die, something slightly negative happens or it just loses its new game luster, community at large decides its dead, people who wanted to play it continue to play it" its just incredibly tiresome.
Same here

alstein

I think the entire AH community would cosplay an Arcana char at EVO if that is what it would take for Examu devs to guarantee a PC port for LM.

some of them wouldn't need the motivation

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
my game's been dead for two years and I still get to play it online/offline whenever i want so just ignore that shit and play the stuff you like.

You're probably not gonna see any movies with X-23, She-Hulk, Shuma Gorath, M.O.D.O.K., or Taskmater either.
There're more than just movies though.

I was talking about it yesterday, I would love to see Taskmaster show up in Cap 3 as his sort of "rival" or what have you. Not quite the main villain, but someone who gives Cap a run for his money along the way.

Also, if Doctor Strange becomes a big hit, we could always see Shuma in a movie in like... 2024, lol

Village

I still believe in PsychWard.

also you owe me a spotlight, don't forget >:eek:

that outfit is indeed sick.

Top Bottom