• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 30 - July 6 | Judge, Juri & EGsecutioner

remist

jI3EOb1aEawkp.png

jbug617

Banned
Courtesy of Justin. They must of put this up when they announced the pot bonus for KI. As soon as you launch the game it starts on this page.

Mteti2D.jpg

MrDaravon

According to Marn in the CM twitch chat he's not planning on going to Evo, he thinks the shit he has going on that he saw the doctor for was shingles, which actually does match up pretty well with his descriptions of it. Very unfortunate :(

MrDaravon

Shingles not that bad although it's surprising he got them this young.

Yeah, at his age unless his immune system is really fucked it shouldn't be super serious (in older/immune compromised folks it can kill) but at any age it can be extremely painful and causing scarring and other issues.

Also assuming it actually IS shingles it would be extremely irresponsible for him to go to Evo >_>

Kalamari

Marn spent a fair amount of time living in Vietnam recently, who knows what he might have picked up there. Best to put him in a bubble as a precaution.

BossRush

I'm trying to practice playing SF4 or KOF and I just can't pull off some links without having to mash them out, my right hand just doesn't move fast enough. Any suggestions?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'm trying to practice playing SF4 or KOF and I just can't pull off some links without having to mash them out, my right hand just doesn't move fast enough. Any suggestions?

I'm not too experienced in this area but there are two things you can do that helped me out a lot. One is practicing it until you get the timing right, which is quite a bit of dedication. Second is hearing the move being done and press the buttons in tune with the hits, or better said, pressing them rhythmically, sort of like a beat (as in playing on a piano) and sometimes that works wonders for some players.

Onemic

links dont require quickness, they require timing. Mashing stuff out actually makes it harder to hit links, not easier.

links dont require quickness, they require timing. Mashing stuff out actually makes it harder to hit links, not easier.

Yeah, mashing the inputs just means that some of them are wasted during the animations.
Another tip that might help you: try breaking down whatever you're trying to do into pieces, and then practice the timing for each part until you get it down pat. Then practice doing it all at once. That usually works for me.

Jazz-ism

Banned
yams actually gives good beginner advice here (smartest post he has made in months). create a rhythm or beat and practice it creating both muscle memory and a beat. a lot of it just comes from trial and error tho...it makes me question how much "practice" you have done...

Links 101:

1) Set dummy to auto-guard (1-hit guard in KOF)
2) attempt the link
3) if the 2nd move didn't come out, button was too early
4) if the 2nd move came out but didn't combo, button was too late

Dahbomb

In SF4 it's not about how fast you can press the button it's about timing them. You have to figure out the timing. Most of the time for links I have seen that you have to press the button a bit later than you are used to. So you have to wait for the previous moves' animation to play out before pressing the next button (but of course it's hard to judge that without experience).

My recommendation on how to learn to do links in SF (without the use of plink):

*Set training dummy to auto guard.
*Try to do Ryu's cr.LP linked into cr.MP
*Don't try to mash out the MP, just try to do a single press.
*If you press the button and the move doesn't come out, then you pressed it too early.
*If you press the button, the move comes out but the dummy blocks it you pressed it too late.
*Keep figuring out the timing and when you start getting the move to hit feel out the delay you have to make to make the move connect.
*After you figure out the timing... now it's time to incorporate plinking and/or double tapping into your game. I try to do double tap for link... basically I use the same timing as before but instead of pressing the button I double tap (just pressing it twice really fast). With this method you can afford to time the link slightly easier and still have the move come out for the link. I use this method because I can't do plink on a controller but I can double tap.

Edit: Beaten

I learned this pretty quickly after playing around with Slayer.

Except for his air Dust move. I can get it maybe 10% of the time and the timing seems to change every time I attempt it while mashing gets it out 90% of the time.

I guess for some moves you can mash while most will require timing.

In SF4 it's not about how fast you can press the button it's about timing them. You have to figure out the timing. Most of the time for links I have seen that you have to press the button a bit later than you are used to. So you have to wait for the previous moves' animation to play out before pressing the next button (but of course it's hard to judge that without experience).

My recommendation on how to learn to do links in SF (without the use of plink):

*Set training dummy to auto guard.
*Try to do Ryu's cr.LP linked into cr.MP
*Don't try to mash out the MP, just try to do a single press.
*If you press the button and the move doesn't come out, then you pressed it too early.
*If you press the button, the move comes out but the dummy blocks it you pressed it too late.
*Keep figuring out the timing and when you start getting the move to hit feel out the delay you have to make to make the move connect.
*After you figure out the timing... now it's time to incorporate plinking and/or double tapping into your game. I try to do double tap for link... basically I use the same timing as before but instead of pressing the button I double tap (just pressing it twice really fast). With this method you can afford to time the link slightly easier and still have the move come out for the link. I use this method because I can't do plink on a controller but I can double tap.

Edit: Beaten

How is this any different from button mashing (other than more button presses)? It seems to me that the second button press would just mess up your timing since if you did it right you wouldn't need to press the same button a second time.

In SF4 it's not about how fast you can press the button it's about timing them. You have to figure out the timing.

The opponent's life bar can help with this. When you hit them, two little bars will move across it from left to right. When they get to the right, this is when you should have pressed a button to link.

Dahbomb

How is this any different from button mashing (other than more button presses)? It seems to me that the second button press would just mess up your timing since if you did it right you wouldn't need to press the same button a second time.
If you do it right it doesn't mess up your timing. You have to first learn the timing then double tap it. Sometimes even if you time it you might not get the move to come out (because you pressed it a bit early). Double tap sort of helps you out if you are inclined to press buttons quicker than you need to.

Going to pose this question to everyone... what is your IDEAL EVO results? Try to keep responses to something that could semi-realistically happen.

Here's mine:

UMVC3: Justin "Marvelous" Wong
USF4: Anyone from USA winning it
KOFXIII: Tokido
KI: Justin "Killa" Wong
Injustice: 16 Bit (would be cool to see a GAFFer win EVO)
TTT2: Bronson or anyone from USA winning it
BBCP: Anyone from USA winning it

Of course I am EXTREMELY biased for Justin, Tokido and USA in general.

The opponent's life bar can help with this. When you hit them, two little bars will move across it from left to right. When they get to the right, this is when you should have pressed a button to link.
MIND IS BLOWN!

If you do it right it doesn't mess up your timing. You have to first learn the timing then double tap it. Sometimes even if you time it you might not get the move to come out (because you pressed it a bit early). Double tap sort of helps you out if you are inclined to press buttons quicker than you need to.

Going to pose this question to everyone... what is your IDEAL EVO results? Try to keep responses to something that could semi-realistically happen.

Here's mine:

UMVC3: Justin "Marvelous" Wong
USF4: Anyone from USA winning it
KOFXIII: Tokido
KI: Justin "Killa" Wong
Injustice: 16 Bit (would be cool to see a GAFFer win EVO)
TTT2: Bronson or anyone from USA winning it
BBCP: Anyone from USA winning it

Of course I am EXTREMELY biased for Justin, Tokido and USA in general.

MIND IS BLOWN!

Umvc3: smedwicks
Bbcp: Q
Sf4: shouts
Ttt2: ask
Igau: OSU
Kofxiii: the 2nd place guy from last year

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
wut

Is this only for target combos or what?

Hmm, I guess I'll try it out next time I play.

This is just my wishful thinking. If I would want someone to take EVO 2014 in USF4, it would be Mike Ross. For TTT2, Aris. Again, this is just my wishful thinking...

Dahbomb

Hmm, I guess I'll try it out next time I play.
This explains it better than I can:

http://beingascrub.com/2011/01/13/double-tapping-with-vesper-arcade/

Scroll down to the video at the bottom and watch it.

It should be noted that double tap is better for 2+ frame links. For 1 frame links it's not as good. IMO if you want to learn links you should first try do easier links than jumping straight into a 1 frame link. Then try to do these more advance executions for linking if you feel like it. They do make it easier to get the links off provided you execute these techniques properly.

smurfx

get some go again
why not wait for the next thread to make our predictions? enzo can then tell us who got the closest when he makes the post evo weekly thread.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
why not wait for the next thread to make our predictions? enzo can then tell us who got the closest when he makes the post evo weekly thread.
I mean, people are gonna throw down their predictions anyways when the next thread begins, so yeah, might as well wait.

Top Bottom