• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 30 - July 6 | Judge, Juri & EGsecutioner

Tekken used to have like an elimination mode where each round was a new character untill only one was left, kinda like KOF, CVS2. If Pokken ever ended up being real, I'd expect something like that.

smurfx

get some go again
chris g should be the fav this year since he doesn't have the same kind of pressure to win he had last year. chris had psyched himself out before the tournament even began last year.

Evo prediction for Marvel. These are the most likely people to win it, in descending order.

1. ChrisG
2. Justin
3. FChamp
4. Flocker
5. PR Rog
6. Apologyman
7. Nemo

Anyone else would be a pretty big upset.

Tekken used to have like an elimination mode where each round was a new character untill only one was left, kinda like KOF, CVS2. If Pokken ever ended up being real, I'd expect something like that.
That would be pretty weak, since a huge aspect of the Pokemon battles is mid-battle swapping.

Really though, given Nintendo, it will probably be something none of us have thought of.

Evo prediction for Marvel. These are the most likely people to win it, in descending order.

1. ChrisG
2. Justin
3. FChamp
4. Flocker
5. PR Rog
6. Apologyman
7. Nemo

The 5 gods + the two most formidable non-gods. Good list.

That would be pretty weak, since a huge aspect of the Pokemon battles is mid-battle swapping.

Really though, given Nintendo, it will probably be something none of us have thought of.

The 5 gods + the two most formidable non-gods. Good list.

Not a Pokemon guy but that would seem super lame & broken in a fighting game. You would constantly be counter picking the entire match. Every tournament or competitive match would have to be blind pick. It would be a mess.

Not a Pokemon guy but that would seem super lame & broken in a fighting game. You would constantly be counter picking the entire match. Every tournament or competitive match would have to be blind pick. It would be a mess.
That's actually how Pokemon matches play out. I'm not a huge fan of it either, but I think staying true to the spirit of the series is important.

Toxi

Banned
Pokken probably wouldn't resemble the switch-heavy Smogon singles metagame anyway. Think more doubles.
In Pokemon it's fun because you're trying to take advantage of each switch (With hazards, set-up, VoltTurn, etc.) while luring out the worst counters.
How much of competitive pokemon is decided by the RNG?
Tons, in every metagame.

Fuck Scald.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
There's percentages of things happening on every move ie. Is it going to freeze, will it do full damage

The varying amounts of damage is what I think is the dumbest

A huge part of the decision tree in competive Pokemon is mindgames, so ironically Pokemon has more yomi than fighting games

That's actually how Pokemon matches play out. I'm not a huge fan of it either, but I think staying true to the spirit of the series is important.

No it is not. If it makes a bad game, you don't do it. It's like saying items are part of the spirit of Smash therefor Items should never be able to be shut off.

Also counter picking barely yomi. What you mean is Meta & it's a super.shitty meta that makes a bad competitive game.

Chavelo

I guess they just finalized the EVO brackets.

Which is awesome, because Wizard and Co. added two friends from the same state and community into the same pool at the last minute, even though many feedback tickets were sent to them about one of them not appearing in any pool at all for most of the beta brackets period.

Good shit. :/

No it is not. If it makes a bad game, you don't do it. It's like saying items are part of the spirit of Smash therefor Items should never be able to be shut off.

Also counter picking barely yomi. What you mean is Meta & it's a super.shitty meta that makes a bad competitive game.
In practice, it wouldn't be any more dangerous than swapping team orders in Marvel during the loading screen. Hard counters rarely exist in fighting games to the degree they do in Pokemon.

Toxi

Banned

In-match switching isn't really counter-picking. A team is like a character.

Which is one of the reasons why the comparison is weird.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I think it's OK to play games with a big randomness element competitively or for money. It's just different from how other games work.
Nintendo's official tournaments use a swiss style phase (like round robin but with a limited number of matches). Generally, you can't get near the top without a decent level of consistency and skill. I believe the official world circuit had the same reigning champion for 3 consecutive years, which is just bonkers for the kind of game Pokemon is.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Vote for the most important thread title of the year below.

Just make sure it has to do with EVO and Q.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Mad Catz posted their EVO stream schedule
Br5Td2GIAAAXZhq.jpg

Let the Kanye hype begin.

Fighting Games Weekly | It's EVO, We are in Pool Q, & We've got Daigo 1st Round! Let's Go!

FGW | we put the Q, in DQ'd

I see people are actually trying this time around for titles.

1. ChrisG
2. Justin
3. FChamp
4. Flocker
5. PR Rog
6. Apologyman
7. Nemo

Nemo ain't going to EVO last time I heard. Also, I'm still saying we'll have new blood throughout the entire Top 8 for Marvel. Just for the hell of it of course for when it happens, Dahbomb gonna become my GAF servant for a day. Kappa

Top Bottom