• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 16-22 | Mo Money, Momochi

I predict nobody stops momochi until EVO

juGm2Ic8nWGdy.jpg

Daigo on his A game

Shouta

haha shouta didnt know you played ffxi. server/jobs? BEST STUFF? during which "era(s)" did you play?

Fairy then Sylph. I played from US Beta to like just after Abyssea was done and they were doing the content after it. PLD was my main until ToAU then I became a PUP and then later a Monk because PLD tanks weren't popular and I didn't have the extra gear when they became more popular.

I didn't have anything fancy though. Never got a Mythic or Relic weapon because it took too long. My best gear probably would depend on what era of the game we're talking about.

Azure J

I just saw the thread Rhapsody was alluding to in that post earlier.

Jesus Christ man. Worst part was it did sound like dude who threw the kerosene tank on the lit match was actually genuinely thinking it was just a "Smash of all kinds" type of discussion.

Kumubou

kisa-phone.gif

Who wants more Kisarah Westfield in their life?
YOU DO!
Tizoc, a man after my heart. The funny thing is, in NGBC she has all these tools... And she's mid-tier at best, because of just how silly the top characters are.

I will also MM anyone in AoDK for ANY AMOUNT!!!*
of any reasonable amount of money, which is likely zero because AoDK is buns.

FourMyle

Christ, Elena is such a chore to fight. Like half the shit she throws out I can't tell if I am able to punish or not due to weird block stun.

Final Round still haven't released pools?

Hopefully later tonight :/ they released the schedule file pretty late into the night.

Malice215

Just saw on Twitter that Bonchan and EX Pugera are going to NCR and Mago and Tokido are going to Hypespotting 4, so that throws out any plans for someone looking for an easier event to go to.

Also made some updates; two gameplay demos for MK/KI happening tomorrow.

tinyurl.com/fgccalendar

wait, so why do Melee players not turn out for most FGC events? they just had a 220 person event last weekend in North Carolina

inb4 that event completely sapped Final Round attendance

Kumubou

wait, so why do Melee players not turn out for most FGC events? they just had a 220 person event last weekend in North Carolina

The SSBM community doesn't need Final Round, and Final Round doesn't need SSBM. They're under absolutely no obligation to support any events in the FGC -- but sometimes, it makes sense. I don't think FR really has any history with that community, which is probably a big part of it.

CurlyW

They turned out for Evo and CEO last year, but those were pretty much the only ones. (For CEO, it helped that Jebailey struck a promotional agreement with Smashboards. And for Evo, it helped that they're Evo.) I think NWM had pretty good Melee numbers too, but I'm less certain of that.

I think a big part of it is that at most Smash tournaments, Melee comes first before 1-2 other games, whereas at FGC tournaments, there's 7-15 games and we try to treat them all equally (though admittedly we don't always succeed). Also FGC tournaments don't want to do round robin pools for one game when everything else is double elim. I could be wrong though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The SSBM community doesn't need Final Round, and Final Round doesn't need SSBM. They're under absolutely no obligation to support any events in the FGC -- but sometimes, it makes sense. I don't think FR really has any history with that community, which is probably a big part of it.
It's just interesting because Smash 4 has triple the attendance at the same event.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Probably not indicative of anything unless it becomes a trend.
The FR doesn't have rules listed for Smash, is Smash 4 customs allowed in the tourney?
They're using Apex 2015 rules for Smash 4, so no customs. They said they'd have probably ran them had they known about EVO's decision a little earlier.

They turned out for Evo and CEO last year, but those were pretty much the only ones. (For CEO, it helped that Jebailey struck a promotional agreement with Smashboards. And for Evo, it helped that they're Evo.) I think NWM had pretty good Melee numbers too, but I'm less certain of that.

I think a big part of it is that at most Smash tournaments, Melee comes first before 1-2 other games, whereas at FGC tournaments, there's 7-15 games and we try to treat them all equally (though admittedly we don't always succeed). Also FGC tournaments don't want to do round robin pools for one game when everything else is double elim. I could be wrong though.

oh come on, that's as much of a lie as #oneunit and you know it :p

Rhapsody

Banned
I just saw the thread Rhapsody was alluding to in that post earlier.

Jesus Christ man. Worst part was it did sound like dude who threw the kerosene tank on the lit match was actually genuinely thinking it was just a "Smash of all kinds" type of discussion.

Even though that one guy didn't mean it in that way, it definitely was worded poorly lol

Either way, there's always going to be that one guy that'll bring up melee, and that one guy rallying a smash 4 defense force, and then things get messy.

Kumubou

It's just interesting because Smash 4 has triple the attendance at the same event.
I think that could be explained by a few things: SSB4 seems to have way more cross-over play than SSBM does at this point (with it being the newer game and things being far less entrenched), there's no history with SSB4 anywhere so adding it now would be completely normal, and the SSB4 and SSBM communities seem like rather separate (if related) communities -- much like how SF4/UMvC3 is, or how the anime FG communities are.

Top Bottom