• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 16-22 | Mo Money, Momochi

Rhapsody

Banned
Just got around to watching YMST vs Waka. Very entertaining set of matches, but YMST is still a beast.

Why can Mitsuru 2B launch now? : /

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How long is the Xrd story mode movie thing? Wondering if I should just power through it tonight.

Finally finished Arcade with every character except the DLC one.

Tripon

They turned out for Evo and CEO last year, but those were pretty much the only ones. (For CEO, it helped that Jebailey struck a promotional agreement with Smashboards. And for Evo, it helped that they're Evo.) I think NWM had pretty good Melee numbers too, but I'm less certain of that.

I think a big part of it is that at most Smash tournaments, Melee comes first before 1-2 other games, whereas at FGC tournaments, there's 7-15 games and we try to treat them all equally (though admittedly we don't always succeed). Also FGC tournaments don't want to do round robin pools for one game when everything else is double elim. I could be wrong though.

Round robins are such a chore to watch, especially when the level of play is low.

Watching bad Melee play is the worst.

Tripon

eh, watching bad players in any game is pretty cringe-inducing

only thing is I don't think there's many non-Smash games that run round robin pools

I'd argue that the long timer, and players not knowing the basics that requires the level of execution to perform decently at a Melee match will lead to a special kind of hell that other scrubby matches in other fighting games just don't get.

CurlyW

It's possible for a Round Robin pool to finish in a reasonable amount of time, but it requires a minimum 4 setups per pool. Not a lot of FGC tournaments have that kind of space available, since there's usually 10 other games that need tournament setups too.

hitsugi

I haven't seen any 1.1 logs yet. It's always a toss up if we even get one.

Also Ain is just doing shit and People don't know how to fight it or what's going on lol it's day one.

Still.. better combos and better execution than most.. which probably just goes with the territory. I want to see what longevity 1.1 Leo will have.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Might have missed it, sorry if so, you streaming at FR at all this weekend?
KOF Friday at 4PM, UNIEL Saturday at 6PM (I think; would need to double-check the start time).

An anime game side tournament top 8 or two might find their way to my station late Friday or early Saturday. I asked about doing Tekken pools on early Saturday but that would require moving my setup into a different ballroom and right now that doesn't look likely.

KOF Friday at 4PM, UNIEL Saturday at 6PM (I think; would need to double-check the start time).

An anime game side tournament top 8 or two might find their way to my station late Friday or early Saturday. I asked about doing Tekken pools on early Saturday but that would require moving my setup into a different ballroom and right now that doesn't look likely.

No Marvel?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
No Marvel?
Pretty sure that's all on Spooky.

I will be helping out with twitch.tv/gbdojo for Marvel after hours stuff, which should include SBK vs Fchamp and maybe an impromptu 2v2 tournament. They're actually going to be streaming a local SF/Marvel tournament tomorrow night that some out of towners should be present for.

Tizoc

Tizoc, a man after my heart. The funny thing is, in NGBC she has all these tools... And she's mid-tier at best, because of just how silly the top characters are.

I will also MM anyone in AoDK for ANY AMOUNT!!!*
of any reasonable amount of money, which is likely zero because AoDK is buns.

Dude...Aggressors of Dark Kombat...was made by ADK
Get it?

Far as NGBC goes I like Shishioh, Chonrei and WH Hanzo. Robert was cool but getting used to his charge mechanics were tricky lol.

Also screw the naysayers: GIMME OLD RYO AND OLD LOWBEAR IN STREET FIGHTER V!

Pretty sure that's all on Spooky.

I will be helping out with twitch.tv/gbdojo for Marvel after hours stuff, which should include SBK vs Fchamp and maybe an impromptu 2v2 tournament. They're actually going to be streaming a local SF/Marvel tournament tomorrow night that some out of towners should be present for.

Thanks, I didn't know about that channel.

vulva

Went 3-2 at our weekly. I lost to two really strong players so I can't complain. Both matches were super close too. One of the guys I lost to was Tactix, who some of you might have seen on Excellent Adventures with KBrad. He's a really strong Gouken player.

Then I lost to Shane Walker, who's our local Dhalsim. I'm finally getting comfortable in that matchup. Each round pretty much came down to pixels. I'm getting more comfortable playing in person after a bit of a hiatus because of school. I need to keep at it though if I want to do well at EVO, which I'm kinda doubtful of this year.

vulva

Smug can't even beat Sanford's Ken, how the hell is he going to beat Momochi's?

Honestly feel like Smug and Snakeyez have taken a step back since last years EVO season.

I think Smug's gotten better while Snake Eyez has become complacent.

Went 3-2 at our weekly. I lost to two really strong players so I can't complain. Both matches were super close too. One of the guys I lost to was Tactix, who some of you might have seen on Excellent Adventures with KBrad. He's a really strong Gouken player.

Then I lost to Shane Walker, who's our local Dhalsim. I'm finally getting comfortable in that matchup. Each round pretty much came down to pixels. I'm getting more comfortable playing in person after a bit of a hiatus because of school. I need to keep at it though if I want to do well at EVO, which I'm kinda doubtful of this year.

Man I wish I could make the weekly's.

Tactix is very good, he bodied me every time lol. Shane is great as well.

Which players did you beat?

vulva

Man I wish I could make the weekly's.

Tactix is very good, he bodied me every time lol. Shane is great as well.

Which players did you beat?

I beat James (Dudley/Yun player) who's pretty good.
Mashyuken who's a Ken player that's still learning so the win was kinda expected but it was nice to see him keep at it.
Swagat who's kinda a soso Sagat player who has really weird opinions. Like once he told me Elena and Chun are the exact same character. I don't really get him.

Imm0rt4l

If Smug can lose to Sanford's Ken, how the hell is he going to beat Momochi's?

Honestly feel like Smug and Snakeyez have taken a step back since last years EVO season.

Because momochi doesn't have dudley smugs experience. Smug beat momochi's ken some months ago and so he switched to juri and very narrowly won. It should be noted that Juri is a tough matchup for dudley.

That being said, I think Momochi is more than capable of taking smug out with ken. If it's best 2/3 then it could be anyones game honestly.

I beat James (Dudley/Yun player) who's pretty good.
Mashyuken who's a Ken player that's still learning so the win was kinda expected but it was nice to see him keep at it.
Swagat who's kinda a soso Sagat player who has really weird opinions. Like once he told me Elena and Chun are the exact same character. I don't really get him.

I think I've played James before. I haven't lost to any Dudley's in Toronto so far tho.

Not sure who the Ken player is or Swagat.

What you doing Saturday? I'm going to a tournament at Sheridan. Roll thru?

Because momochi doesn't have dudley smugs experience. Smug beat momochi's ken some months ago and so he switched to juri and very narrowly won. It should be noted that Juri is a tough matchup for dudley.

That being said, I think Momochi is more than capable of taking smug out with ken. If it's best 2/3 then it could be anyones game honestly.

avatar bet Momochi gets up in the crease and bops smug?

Top Bottom