• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 13-19 | Throwing coins

onionfrog

CEO needs hair vs hair matches for top 8. Losers get shaved. That's one way to stop potsplits.
This would be hilarious, and Fchamp would be unaffected since he keeps his hair super short.

I hope someone beats Chris G, my hype is gone from watching people get decimated by his team over and over again.

Can someone recap the FGTV marvel balance changes for me tonight, I doubt I'll be home or able to stay up late enough to watch the stream? (Probably Dahbomb)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Enzo:

Cafeid 5 vs 5 Tekken Tournament
5/17/13
3 am EST
This tournament series has been bringing in the best players in the world, including Knee, JDCR, Saint, etc.
www. Facebook.com/idtourney
Will add to OP soon, thanks!

Guys Goku is gonna be in the next Super Smash Brothers game and I am hippity hoppity HYYYYYYYPPPPPPPEEEEEED

CLOUD STRIFE 4 BRAWL
This is so ridiculous, I'm tempted to believe.

Get ready Dahbomb!

I'll try to watch it this time, since I don't have to wake up super early tomorrow
This is weird. Get new sponsor > put a weekly show on hiatus?

You know what wasn't disappointing about brawl, the roster and the ost.
Best OST ever IMO. If just for the sheer number of songs in the damn thing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Eh. I can't think of anything they added in Brawl that I really cared about. Wolf wasn't bad. All of my characters ended up being low tier anyway. Nearly all of the new levels sucked or were uninteresting.

I'm more hype about the roster this time around because we're bound to get Palutena. <3

Does this mean you have a green hair fetish?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Step on the bus and hear a bunch of people singing "started from the bottom now we here". This is ridiculous, how am I not supposed to laugh? These people should be singing Nelly.

BiggNife

Huh.

Injustice got 120 pre-registers at ECT. MK9 got 20 and is now a side tournament due to low entry numbers.

Curious to see how many people show up to MK9 at EVO with numbers like that for a major.

Dahbomb

Get ready Dahbomb!

ilbq8vgrdzuqznhest.gif

Fuck yes.

kirblar

Huh.

Injustice got 120 pre-registers at ECT. MK9 got 20 and is now a side tournament due to low entry numbers.

Curious to see how many people show up to MK9 at EVO with numbers like that for a major.
MK9 almost certainly got moneyhatted- it had the lowest turnout last EVO of any game. It coming back was actually shocking.

I'm sorry

That joke was just too mean.
I bought it for the online play.

:-(
You poor bastard. Thank God I didn't follow that Smash dojo thing. I would have been crushed with disappointment.
Huh.

Injustice is the new hotness. Looks more likely that SG will beat MK9's numbers now that the number of people playing the patched edition has doubled.

*braces for a beefy pun*
MK9 almost certainly got moneyhatted- it had the lowest turnout last EVO of any game. It coming back was actually shocking.
I didn't want to believe that SCV would get dropped while MK9 would make the cut, but those are the breaks.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The actual way the dude hints at a super saiyan is weird. He treats all the members as little children and its more like "have hope little ____!" But then he says remember this post!

Just odd in general. I went and summarized that thread on my own and it really sounds like some wet dream for Nintendo interspersed with info that logistically doesn't make much sense and some denials to try and make it sound half real. Don't know what to make of it.

You are a wise man. Olimar is the shit

Pikmin is by far one of my favorite Nintendo games, so having him included in Brawl was one of the best things. Despite how poor that game may be in fighting aspects, Olimar is still a blast to play as, in my opinion.

The actual way the dude hints at a super saiyan is weird. He treats all the members as little children and its more like "have hope little ____!" But then he says remember this post!

Just odd in general. I went and summarized that thread on my own and it really sounds like some wet dream for Nintendo interspersed with info that logistically doesn't make much sense and some denials to try and make it sound half real. Don't know what to make of it.

So clearly... the rumors about the Mario game and Retro's game is false, and Goku really IS in the next Smash!

Frantic

Get ready Dahbomb!

I'll try to watch it this time, since I don't have to wake up super early tomorrow
Dante changes? I anticipate ShadyK wanting Dante to be vanilla Dante. Without the double motions. And the few buffs they gave Ultimate Dante. And some more buffs on top of that.

i'll go ahead and say my unpopular opinion:

Snake should have never been in Brawl.

He is a good character and i enjoyed playing him, but given the context of the series he belongs to really really threw off my sense of disbelief with the game.

i know i know "BUT MESMERMAN WHAT R U STOOPID? ITS JUSTA VIDYA GAEM! ABOUT FIGHTAN! WITH POKEYMANS AND SHIT! AND SPACE DOGS!".

but i just couldn't get over the fact that "this man has killed people with his bare hands. he snapped their necks, he suffocated them slowly, and has seen some sick and twisted shit. what in the blue fuck is he doing next to pikachu?".

It's one of the reasons i couldn't take PSABR seriously. too many grim-dark characters in terms of the gameplay and presentation. oh god i'm officially old!

Azure J

You have a character with sword normals, get good. Kappa

Too much visual information to process with all those colors everywhere + tippers and spacing game getting nullified because one of those damn Pikmin would get in the way + Focus Attack-Smash Cancels with that armor he had on the Whistle (God help you if he has a Purple Pikmin and guessed right on the parry) = GGs.

Azure J

Dante changes? I anticipate ShadyK wanting Dante to be vanilla Dante. Without the double motions. And the few buffs they gave Ultimate Dante. And some more buffs on top of that.

He should do 900K meterless because "Of all the work you have to put in for his combos™!"

SmokeMaxX

He is a good character and i enjoyed playing him, but given the context of the series he belongs to really really threw off my sense of disbelief with the game.

i know i know "BUT MESMERMAN WHAT R U STOOPID? ITS JUSTA VIDYA GAEM! ABOUT FIGHTAN! WITH POKEYMANS AND SHIT! AND SPACE DOGS!".

but i just couldn't get over the fact that "this man has killed people with his bare hands. he snapped their necks, he suffocated them slowly, and has seen some sick and twisted shit. what in the blue fuck is he doing next to pikachu?".

It's one of the reasons i couldn't take PSABR seriously. too many grim-dark characters in terms of the gameplay and presentation. oh god i'm officially old!
Pikachu beat Onyx at like level 5. That Pikachu is a Pokegod.

I agree with you. I did not like Snake being in Brawl at all. I could understand Sonic and how people love the Mario vs Sonic rivalry, as well as Nintendo having lots of original Sonic games, but Snake? No way. I hope he doesn't make a return. He's just not Nintendo.

Dahbomb

Pretty sure Dante will get a Drive durability buff, maybe better air throw game and probably one of his normals extended a bit so he can anti air into his launcher easier based on previous conversations on the character at FGTV. They should remove the invincibility on his DT and the bold cancel block timing window decreased so he is not 100% safe all the time.

Although Dante is one of those characters who will always be good and competitive. Requires the least amount of changes and only needs somes of his lesser used moves tweaked a bit. Dante should've been the standard by which others characters were made around.

GooeyHeat

I noticed Brawl talk, which reminded me: What's the big deal about L-Canceling? If there's never a reason to not L-Cancel, then it just feels a little redundant to add a big extra execution barrier to the game. I saw a post where it was likened to mashing supers in UMvC3, where there's never any reason to not mash your brains out, making it extra execution for no reason.

Of course, I never played Smash 64 or Melee competitively, so this is just my thoughts, but I feel that this change to Brawl was, at worst, inconsequential, compared to some of the other bullshit that made it in.

Frantic

Pretty sure Dante will get a Drive durability buff, maybe better air throw game and probably one of his normals extended a bit so he can anti air into his launcher easier based on previous conversations on the character at FGTV. They should remove the invincibility on his DT and the bold cancel block timing window decreased so he is not 100% safe all the time.
Remove the ability to block after bold move, but enable him to Bold Cancel everything, including specials! Also let him cancel into moves after the jump instead of having 11 frames of recovery.
lol

Also, Drive is pretty durable as is. No real need to buff it. Unless they want to make it more like Mystic Sword.

Dahbomb

For a move that has so much start up and can only be used on the ground... being negated by a single standard fireball makes the move really weak. I think it should be 6 durability points minimum.

Anyway interested to see which characters they tackle today. They might not even get to Dante today.

Snake never killed anybody.

Azure J

Although Dante is one of those characters who will always be good and competitive. Requires the least amount of changes and only needs somes of his lesser used moves tweaked a bit. Dante should've been the standard by which others characters were made around.

The only legitimate buff Dante should get is his old hitstun on s.L. No reason why you shouldn't be able to catch someone anti-air and not get the combo from it while staying sharp. Anything else is decadence on top of decadence in the face of starving children like Hsien-Ko or whatever else have you.

I'd still be cool with that 5% normal/10% special scaling buff though. :D

Edit: Frantic, I'd trade anything for the ability to literally Bold Move everything. That shit would really be Marvel's first step into Koryu mode.

Frantic

For a move that has so much start up and can only be used on the ground... being negated by a single standard fireball makes the move really weak. I think it should be 6 durability points minimum.
It's kinda the inverse of a normal fireball. 32 startup, 13 recovery frames whereas something like a Hadoken is 10 startup and 35 recovery. Plus, the sword strike itself protects against teleports since it hits a mile above and behind Dante, meaning you can't just teleport and punish. I'd say it's fine where it is.

Anyway interested to see which characters they tackle today. They might not even get to Dante today.
The tweet says Dante, so I'm assuming they'll do Dante. If they don't, they're LIARS.

Shimesaba

Of course, I never played Smash 64 or Melee competitively, so this is just my thoughts, but I feel that this change to Brawl was, at worst, inconsequential, compared to some of the other bullshit that made it in.

When they removed L-cancelling in Brawl they didn't make standard landing lag equal to Melee L-cancelled landing lag, I think Brawl landing lag is somewhere in between but closer to full (not cancelled) Melee landing lag.

So they didn't just remove the tech-barrier that having to L-cancel to get fast recovery gave players, they completely took away the ability to get that fast recovery. That combined with hitstun reductions/floatiness/removal of momentum killed the combo game that was possible in Melee and 64 (especially 64, hitstun and L-cancelling are crazy in that game).

Dahbomb

Dante should never get a damage buff... ever.

It's not that his damage is low or even mediocre... its that other characters do outrageous amounts of damage.

Only 3 characters in the game that actually can use a damage scaling buff are Nemesis, Firebrand (with his unblockable nerfed) and Strider. Everyone else does just the right amount of damage for their combos or simply do too much.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

I loved vanilla dante. For better of worse he was probably my favorite character in the game. I was not a fan of what they did to him in Ultimate.

Dahbomb

I loved vanilla dante. For better of worse he was probably my favorite character in the game. I was not a fan of what they did to him in Ultimate.
They didn't remove any of his tools... just toned down the dumb stuff. He is now a respectable character and I support all the changes made to the character.

GTFO with building 5 bars in a single Dante combo in Vanilla and getting meterless TODs off of fully invincible 360 degree hit box positive on block YOLO Hammer.

CEOJebailey

Neo Member
Hey Guys, just letting you know I'll be doing a CEO Q&A on my stream tonight(Tuesday) at 9pm EST on www.twitch.tv/ceogaming.

For CEO I manually update my Registration database and you can watch me and chat with me and others while I do so while I talk about how I put CEO together and other stuff. Join me if you'd like.

I want to become a part of the NEOGAF Family and with that, I welcome you all into the Mind of Jebailey.

MrDaravon

I see that ECT is this weekend, has anything of note happened in the last week or so?
Been in a Diablo vortex.

Completely unrelated, but RE6 is on sale at Gamefly today only for $9.99. We have two $5 coupons for Gamefly (that you get for being a member), and I just had a legitimate 5 minute conversation with my wife as to whether or not we wanted the game for free. That's actually kind of depressing.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
They didn't remove any of his tools... just toned down the dumb stuff. He is now a respectable character and I support all the changes made to the character.

GTFO with building 5 bars in a single Dante combo in Vanilla and getting meterless TODs off of fully invincible 360 degree hit box positive on block YOLO Hammer.

I thought he was fine. With the execution barrier he was kept in check. Making him slightly worse and considerably easier to use was a huge turn off for me.

Or the MKC earned it by supporting the game and having respectable turnouts for all of 2012.

I think MK will be fine for EVO. Players will start practicing again and try to balance Injustice and MK once the newness of Injustice wears off.

Azure J

Dante/Haggar/Phoenix is soooooooooooooo much worse than the worst of Ultimate's team configs. Going even deeper, Dante/Magneto/Phoenix would have been the best team in the game if Vanilla lasted long enough for TAC infinites to become a thing in that game.

Or the MKC earned it by supporting the game and having respectable turnouts for all of 2012.

I think MK will be fine for EVO. Players will start practicing again and try to balance Injustice and MK once the newness of Injustice wears off.

I agree but its kind of sad to see MK being a "side game" at ECT (if I heard correctly) ECT has a long history with the MK community.

Top Bottom