• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 13-19 | Throwing coins

Yeah pool 10 is the hardest to call for sure. Next after that is 16. Also I probably should've bolded Dieminion.

EDIT: Injustice does 424k in April. I expected a lot more TBH, at least double this, wow. Explains the $35 dollar sale anyways. Also take into account this is the first 2 weeks of release.
As I've been saying. This generation is done for anything that isn't a literal videogame titan. Current gen Darkstalkers was never even an option on the table.

Can't wait for next gen. Sony and MS have been dragging this out for long enough.
That is not an actual sales figure, that's just an analyst estimate.
NPD data doesn't come out until Thursday.
You're right, gotta wait until Thursday to be sure.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As I've been saying. This generation is done for anything that isn't a literal videogame titan. Current gen Darkstalkers was never even an option on the table.

Can't wait for next gen. Sony and MS have been dragging this out for long enough.
Amen. Maybe the AA game can actually thrive if flexible digital pricing which we're already seeing on PSN and with the PS4 will result in retailers having a range of different MSRPs at launch too, I'm sure some of these relatively smaller games would make for easier purchases at $40 or $50. If publishers are open minded enough.

No, it's not a minimum either.
Actual results can differ.
Well then, NPDs INVADE FGC-GAF SOON.

onionfrog

You're right, gotta wait until Thursday to be sure.

I bet that the fact that the name ""Injustice: Gods Among Us" isn't recognizable to the general public as a DC Heroes game isn't helping them at all either.

Infinite

Can't wait for next gen. Sony and MS have been dragging this out for long enough..

I can't be this optimistic. Don't know if new expensive consoles, new expensive games, and higher dev costs is gonna solve this magically

The Light

I bet that the fact that the name ""Injustice: Gods Among Us" is not instantly recognizable to the general public as a DC Heroes game isn't helping them at all either.

I agree with the title not really saying its a game about DC heroes, but the tv ads and game cover should solve that problem. Have to agree with Solar that most people are saving their money for next consoles and will only pick up a select few big titles now.

I bet that the fact that the name ""Injustice: Gods Among Us" isn't recognizable to the general public as a DC Heroes game isn't helping them at all either.

I don't think that type of thing really matters much any more, nor commercials or marketing in general.

If you are buying Injustice, who isn't looking it up or reading about it on the internet first?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't be this optimistic. Don't know if new expensive consoles, new expensive games, and higher dev costs is gonna solve this magically
Next gen often means the opportunity for a clean slate. With making indie games for consoles being easier than ever, there being many more small studio start ups out of the ashes of big devs, both Sony and MS fully embracing F2P next gen according to Mark Rein, I think we'll see a broader range of games with a broader range of content and value.

Even a lot of bigger publishers are focusing on pushing out, smaller, cheaper concentrated experiences. Just look at all these statements from Capcom and Squeenix and such trying to find other avenues when their AAA business is faltering. Or Ubisoft/RedLynx who put out Trials Evolution, a $20 game that's featureset that puts most AA games to shame, and it sold gangbusters.

Though I am the optimistic type :x

Amen. Maybe the AA game can actually thrive if flexible digital pricing which we're already seeing on PSN and with the PS4 will result in retailers having a range of different MSRPs at launch too, I'm sure some of these relatively smaller games would make for easier purchases at $40 or $50. If publishers are open minded enough.
Let us hope...
Not sure if someone is making a thread or just following it but Dustloop has posted the entire stream/schedule for ArcFes

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/content.php?519-ArcFes-Schedule-and-Stream-Info
Fuck yeah

Thanks for the link.
Eh, people see Netherrealm, Batman/Superman on the cover and the rest should click real fast.

It's not like we're talking Wii U levels of name disaster here.
It's not really a matter of optimism. There is nowhere to go but down after seven years. A new generation needs to happen even if it has a terrible start.

Infinite

Next gen often means the opportunity for a clean slate. With making indie games for consoles being easier than ever, there being many more small studio start ups out of the ashes of big devs, both Sony and MS fully embracing F2P next gen according to Mark Rein, I think we'll see a broader range of games with a broader range of content and value.

Even a lot of bigger publishers are focusing on pushing out, smaller, cheaper concentrated experiences. Just look at all these statements from Capcom and Squeenix and such trying to find other avenues when their AAA business is faltering. Or Ubisoft/RedLynx who put out Trials Evolution, a $20 game that's featureset that puts most AA games to shame, and it sold gangbusters.

Though I am the optimistic type :x

I'm mainly looking at Nintendos next gen woes and I expect the other 2 to suffer the same growing pains.

Embracing indies is a step in the right direction but Sony and Nintendo are the only ones I personally see making strides towards embracing them on their platforms

What Nintendo goes through is completely different from what Sony and MS experience. The former's experience is more like beating their heads against a concrete wall.. and the latter is two steps forward and one step back. Looks like Sony might be taking the two full steps forward this go around.

Infinite

What Nintendo goes through is completely different from what Sony and MS experience. The former's experience is more like beating their heads against a concrete wall.. and the other is two steps forward and one step back. Looks like Sony might be taking the two full steps forward this go around.

Please elaborate with out the convoluted metaphors.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm mainly looking at Nintendos next gen woes and I expect the other 2 to suffer the same growing pains.

Embracing indies is a step in the right direction but Sony and Nintendo are the only ones I personally see making strides towards embracing them on their platforms
Don't see why MS wouldn't when they pioneered that stuff on consoles with XBLIG, created XNA, and are rumoured to be unifying the Windows Store and providing an SDK to make it easier for devs in the mobile/desktop/game markets to all make games and apps for multiple platforms. They've done more for indie than anyone else, and have been handing out publishing to indie developers all gen long as well. MS desperately needs developers for WP8 and W8 considering how awful those stores are, and I think this is one way to wrangle them in and promote their platform at large.

Will they do it better than Sony? Well, I don't even know they could unless they hand out free money to devs. Everything about the PS4 is an indie devs dream. At least they should aim for parity.

Nintendo seems to be taking a different approach with their conversion software as a way to attract smaller devs to their platform, but that seems like it could be a finnicky solution, a lot of question marks for Nintendo still. I think they're taking a lot of good steps though, but Sony/MS are definitely in better positions, and are far ahead of a lot of the stuff Nintendo is still wrapping their head around with the Wii U. I expect to see less of a software slump than with the Wii U, that's for sure.

Infinite

Nintendo is hardheaded. Indies are important, but they won't carry gaming machines that continue to become more and more expensive with each passing generation.

I think Nintendo biggest problem right now is a lack of software available for the console. I agree indies are important but they probably wont sell consoles. That isn't the reason I think they are important however.

Infinite

Don't see why MS wouldn't when they pioneered that stuff on consoles with XBLIG, created XNA, and are rumoured to be unifying the Windows Store and providing an SDK to make it easier for devs in the mobile/desktop/game markets to all make games and apps for multiple platforms. They've done more for indie than anyone else, and have been handing out publishing to indie developers all gen long as well. MS desperately needs developers for WP8 and W8 considering how awful those stores are, and I think this is one way to wrangle them in and promote their platform at large.

Will they do it better than Sony? Well, I don't even know they could unless they hand out free money to devs. Everything about the PS4 is an indie devs dream. At least they should aim for parity.

Nintendo seems to be taking a different approach with their conversion software as a way to attract smaller devs to their platform, but that seems like it could be a finnicky solution, a lot of question marks for Nintendo still. I think they're taking a lot of good steps though, but Sony/MS are definitely in better positions, and are far ahead of a lot of the stuff Nintendo is still wrapping their head around with the Wii U. I expect to see less of a software slump than with the Wii U, that's for sure.

Haven't their recent policies alienated indies?

You're right though, Sony and Microsoft won't be in a huge software slump because they will actually have third party support

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MARKMAN IN DIVEKICK

PURCHASE CONFIRMED

Haven't their recent policies alienated indies?

You're right though, Sony and Microsoft won't be in a huge software slump because they will actually have third party support
I think MS set a lot of stuff they stuck with too hard at the start of the gen, like their shitty patching policies, and Sony has been quicker to adapt later in the gen. I wouldn't say they've alienated indies per ce, but MS' idea of strict quality control is a lot different from Sony who just wants everyone and everything on their system.

Someone also mentioned in a recent thread that they're killing XNA support and it's rumoured that there's no replacement, but I think that's probably because the cross-platform SDK is probably being developed outside of the old team.

Beckx

Markman free to Jefailey, confirmed.

ahahaha, that black hole. "It's not that I don't think they're genius, I think they're fucking broken."

Beckx

Yeah I'm not quite sure what the tradeoff is here. If anything, he should have startup on his kicks.

I think the trade is no forward hitbox on his lighting kick. He's free if you've got an angle to kick him anywhere on the way in. Seems very matchup dependent.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MarkMan win quote "Maybe I should sponsor myself."

damn

Do we know how many characters these guys are aiming for before release?

CurlyW

You can hit him while he's traveling because his kick seems to have no hitbox.

There was a point where he was cornered and fucked

Correct, his kick doesn't have a hitbox, just the lightning.

In addition, the lightning can't cause headshots (though the mighty swing can).

lol stream trolls going in

gaf_enzo: I'm not an xbox fan boy, but the xbox is the greatest console of all time and supports developers to get games like divekick better

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
lol stream trolls going in

gaf_enzo: I'm not an xbox fan boy, but the xbox is the greatest console of all time and supports developers to get games like divekick better
:lol :lol :lol

I have TWO Twitch imposters, get on my level Dahbomb!

EDIT: This guy is going in in the chat

Top Bottom