• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 20-26 | MRN died so Guilty Gear could live!

alstein

only played the game for about 5 mins doing the tutorial so i shouldn't have a valid opinion, but vf's throw game seems weird to me. why can you hold guard+punch to escape throws? when the tutorial told me that you can defend against mid/high attacks + throws simultaneously using this technique, i was confused. isn't the point of blocking is that it's supposed to make you vulnerable to being thrown? as a grappler at heart, it really didn't leave a good first impression on me.

They were describing fuzzy guard, which is temporary, and something common in 2d fighters. It's also easily bustable.

Guard+punch is because throws are also guard+punch. A few throws (most catch throws) are unbreakable

They were describing fuzzy guard, which is temporary, and something common in 2d fighters. It's also easily bustable.

Guard+punch is because throws are also guard+punch. A few throws (most catch throws) are unbreakable

Yeah, fuzzy guard is only applicable in very specific situations, and so's the sidestep option select guard that they had in the tutorial.

The fuzzy in VF takes advantage of the startup difference between a throw and a mid, so if you're at -5 frame disadvantage or less (if I remember correctly) you can time it so that you crouch dash under the throw but stand up in time to block a 6P. It assumes that the opponent will do it at the earliest possible frame (very likely given the input buffer). A fuzzy will lose to a delayed throw, however if the opponent decides to delay stuff in case you fuzzy guard you basically negated their frame advantage.

It's very clever but I never found much use for it since I'm not familiar with a lot of the frame data in the game nor do I have enough of a read on opponents to know that they'll throw from frame advantage. If I do know they're going to throw I'll just press a button because attacks can't lose to throws in VF and just YOLO it up.

Zellidon

Neo Member
Don't worry Keits, people have known Fanatiq is a piece of shit for a long time. I think you were the only one who has been fooled for this long. Forget that trash LoL player.

GAF's favorite coming up to play on Art's stream now.

And lol @ Art saying "Can't spell staged without AGE"

That's one of the best FGC memes.

Edit: Wait damn, Jaxel's panel writer source code lost? Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn =\

I agree with Arturo's point on how a run like Justin's 4 year Marvel 2 run will never happen again. He backtracked when he said it's not 100% because the internet but I disagree. It was a product of the times. Because of the internet and the growth of the FGC players can improve much faster and learn all the tech they want to. YouTube and twitch make it difficult to hide tech and it provides so much knowledge and tutorials online to help people improve.

Online warriors can become top tourney placers because they internet connections are good enough and they can translate it into local play. The competition is too tight for that ever to happen and no one will ever have a skill gap like that again. That streak was a one time thing and only happened because of the time they were in. If Marvel 2 came out post 2009 Justin would not be able to achieve a streak like that. Not even close.

Online warriors can become top tourney placers because they internet connections are good enough and they can translate it into local play. The competition is too tight for that ever to happen and no one will ever have a skill gap like that again. That streak was a one time thing and only happened because of the time they were in. If Marvel 2 came out post 2009 Justin would not be able to achieve a streak like that. Not even close.

Also you would expect any decent game with longevity to receive balance patches and new characters these days, which would make it increasingly hard to maintain a winning run.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Injustice maintaining those stream numbers for the most part a month+ in is pretty impressive. Glad the game is being received so well because the FGC needed some new shit IMO.

This is some great Marvel commentary right now lol.

"Just pot split right now"-Arturo "I need to get another drink" Sanchez

This is so godlike. Everyone popping off because Chris G just lost to another Zero. EMP Flux incoming, has best anchor dante, beat chris 5 straight games, Chris G loses his rent money and his downward spiral has started, Zero's pretty good, Sabin voted for Ron Paul, Triforce called it, GOOD NIGHT.

I have to admit I agree with triforce on this one. I just don't see the hype when it seems like such a guess to block all that and losing a character each time you guess wrong, and even when you do guess right you still are in a disadvantage where you have to guess more. I know people bring up Marvel 2 and how 1 touch can change the game but as ECT showed the best thing about that game was the amazing neutral that seemed to build a lot of tension. Even after getting hit, a reset was also usually needed and many times people get out and go back to playing the neutral, where most of the pressure is. I just feel that if offense is too good, it's just looks like basically all the hard parts of landing the first hit is over.

kirblar

I have to admit I agree with triforce on this one. I just don't see the hype when it seems like such a guess to block all that and losing a character each time you guess wrong, and even you do guess right you still are in a disadvantage where you have to guess more. I know people bring up Marvel 2 and how 1 touch can change the game but as ECT showed the best thing about that game was the amazing neutral that seemed to build a lot of tension. Even after getting hit, a reset was also usually needed and many times people game which were able to get out and go back to playing the neutral, where most of the pressure is. I just feel that if offense is too good, it's just looks like basically all the hard parts of landing the first hit is over.
Triforce actually has a great mind for design/balance.

Dahbomb

Fucking hell I missed ChrisG being defeated by a Zero player after losing to Flocker.

It only took one and a half fucking year.... The best character in the game.

smurfx

get some go again
hurray only S tiers can beat morridoom. -_- wonder how different competitive marvel would be if doom missiles were nerfed and TAC's as well.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
hurray only S tiers can beat morridoom. -_- wonder how different competitive marvel would be if doom missiles were nerfed and TAC's as well.
Very different.

Also, believe in EMP's secret Thor tech. S-Kill sold EMP a bridge... To the future of the metagame!

Dahbomb

EMPs secret tech also uses Missiles... lol!

If there are no Missiles/TACs then Zero with Jam Session is end game along with Vergil/Strider duos. Morrigan with Doom was Zero's biggest weakness and as shown in the past two tourneys a properly played Zero backed up by proper anti air assists can tackle Morrigan. Zero only needs one hit to steal the game from you.

End game is Zero point, Vergil somewhere down the order and a top assist (Missiles, Jam Session, Vajra). Morrigan, Magneto, Dorm give him some trouble but almost everyone else gets smoked by Zero. Zero eliminates the need to rely on TAC infinites so no need to put Doom on the squad.

Too bad this end game won't happen soon. Zero players will still drop combos or get zoned out or once their Zero dies they will collapse like they normally do. They will lose to Wolverines even though on paper Zero trounces him. They will get Foot Dived. They will get chipped by Soul Fists. They will get KEEP CALMED by Vergil. There aren't enough god tier players playing Zero at the moment so his tournament wins will still be scarce.

OceanBlue

http://twitch.tv/yubiken/
Yubiken is having a small AE tournament. A couple of good players there like Nishikin Blanka, Yossan Juri, KichikoujiKEN, and other players I don't recognize.

Edit: lol omg. Shinochan vs Nishikin was the most hilarious thing ever. Also there are way too many good players on this stream.

onionfrog

Riposte

This thread moves too fast. I was going to quote someone from, like, 400 posts ago.

Whatever. Put me on team number notation sucks.

I believe that is Rachel "Seltzer" Quirico, well known video game presenterer/reporterer/thingy.

Doing what game presenters/reporters do.

KirbyKid

Since BaraBariBall, the indie game I'm working on, will be a tournament event at UFGT and on the stream, I thought I'd share some of the cool new features that will be on display.

We've updated the "how to play" section of our website with information on our CLASH system. Read it here.

If you don't want to read about it just check these images out.

clashing_1.gif

clashvantage.gif

Good luck to everyone. I'm flying out to Chicago tomorrow to be a tournament host. Hope you guys find some time to peak at the stream of BaraBariBall in between hype matches of the MvC3 finals.

Top Bottom