• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 6-12 | One Frame, Two Frame, Just Frame, Plus Frame

Astarte

Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax got more rotten.

All the great characters get sidelined into assists. At least they remembered Dokuro-chan...and not Baccano at all...

Margaret is so fun in P4U2. The game felt refreshing when I used her since she's pretty unique.

Gah, only 2 more days for NA players...actually I own both copies I have no idea why I haven't bought her yet

Busaiku

I hope ArcSys refines the lobby system to a degree where we can see SD versions of the characters, or maybe their avatars, reflecting what's going on in the cabinets.
That would be the greatest thing in fighting games ever.

setting up/bringing your own display is definitely too much. Obviously you assume everybody is gonna be fair, but who's to say someone doesn't adjust the timing on one side of the splitter compared to the other. Gotta make additional rules to that, and as far as I can tell going to tournies, shit there isn't enough space to add more monitors

The one case where I can see it being justified if it's finals/semis day of a large tournament and you don't need as many setups, so you can have the matches be on head to head. It still seems like those monitors would be better put to use for casual stations, though.

Letting you set up a head to head if you bring your own monitor isn't going to happen, though, because it's a logistical nightmare if a substantial number of players do it. Nobody is going to say that head to head is bad, but if you had the extra space/time/monitors to do it, I'm gonna guess that there would've been better ways to spend those resources.

smurfx

get some go again
i don't see why they just don't do H2H on the main stage. they don't need to do it for every setup. big tournaments can definitely afford this. of course you have to say no to rog and other players trying to bring their own setups to pools and delaying events by having them hook things up.

i don't see why they just don't do H2H on the main stage. they don't need to do it for every setup. big tournaments can definitely afford this. of course you have to say no to rog and other players trying to bring their own setups to pools and delaying events by having them hook things up.

Probably don't want top players begging for main stage.

I would personally just do for top 16 only (that mean main stage during pools is still side to side). Basically you have to earn to play H2H.

reminds me of wolfkrone bringing his own speakers to a setup and delaying the tournament.

alstein

Seems like it isn't buzzing as much. I wonder if the Big E controversies had anything to do with that.

No one has been talking about it in any of these threads.

Well, Big E has been kinda treating the NC community as an afterthought based on their facebook advertising, where they were frequently inaccurate with their costs, delayed the hotel posting for weeks for no reason, and 90% of their posts were pushing other Big E events. It just felt like the whole point of TFC was a sideshow to help promote NEC/Summer Jam.

Also, nearly all of my friends expect bracket shenanigans from Big E due to his history.

Combine that with what they did to Osu and having more fun at any other major I've went to than Big E events, I'm just not bothering with TFC this year, and most likely never again.

Given the amount of hassle it is for me to get time off of my job, if I'm going to travel to an event, it's going to be for one that's actually good. (I just wish UFGT wasn't the same weekend as Animazement, that's #1 on my list of events I'd want to attend, CEO is #2)

If Big E hadn't done all those things, I probably would have gone- I had plans to force the issue through the union, but not going to bother the way things are now.

FluxWaveZ

I hope ArcSys refines the lobby system to a degree where we can see SD versions of the characters, or maybe their avatars, reflecting what's going on in the cabinets.
That would be the greatest thing in fighting games ever.

I don't recall if CP had this (I don't believe it did), but it'd be a neat addition if one could just spectate a match in lobby mode by going up to a cabinet.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
been running 3 days a week for about 2 months and I stopped drinking soda 2 weeks ago and I'm 99% sure it has unlocked dormant super powers

Hag

I don't recall if CP had this (I don't believe it did), but it'd be a neat addition if one could just spectate a match in lobby mode by going up to a cabinet.

Yeah you can't spectate in CP either.

For me the only thing missing is some type of spectator mode on ASW lobby system. Make it limited with 3 slots or whatever per cabinet or just some type of '' main screen '' on the lobby when you can see random matchs.

I'm really curious to see how the Xrd lobby works though

Kimosabae

Banned
been running 3 days a week for about 2 months and I stopped drinking soda 2 weeks ago and I'm 99% sure it has unlocked dormant super powers

Great job. Try getting into a strength training routine. It will benefit you more in the long term than cardio-focused routines.

.la1n

I really need to cut soda out again I don't even know how I got started drinking it regularly again.

Kimosabae

Banned
The difficulty of a fighting game is proportional to the size and dedication of the community that plays it.

Fighting games are easy.

Emergent tactics and techniques make them hard.

nod-of-approval.gif

Mr. X

Congrats. I'm always happy to hear people making strides to a healthy lifestyle.

Hopefully you mean drinking mainly water now after dropping the soda. Don't replace it with another sugary drink like Gatorage or something. Drinking water is an easy way to shed some weight and cut excess calories out your diet.

Also, jumping rope is a lot of fun for cardio if anyone wants to do cardio and doesn't like running or biking.

oneida

Hopefully you mean drinking mainly water now after dropping the soda. Don't replace it with another sugary drink like Gatorage or something. Drinking water is an easy way to shed some weight and cut excess calories out your diet.

Also, jumping rope is a lot of fun for cardio if anyone wants to do cardio and doesn't like running or biking.
Mostly juice, coffee and water prolly in that order tbh. I'm bad at keeping bottled water around and tap always tastes off. Around this time last year I got violently ill, with a splitting headache, just felt awful. Pretty sure I was just dehydrated.

jumping rope sounds dope. Might invest.

Beats

yeah, I bought a jump rope because I didn't enjoy running that much. It's pretty fun.

Super Smash Bros is too hard, why do people say it's easy.

I think it's just because the basic inputs to do moves and such are simple. It can be just as hard as any other fighting game though beyond the surface level.

anybody got any tips on smash 3ds? I picked it up and wanted to play rosalina or palutena. I don't think rosa is good at all outside 1v1 due to setup and I feel that her normals are okay. In 1v1 I feel that she can be solid due to screen control. Palutena I feel mixed about. Horizontal range is meh for me and not sure what to do to open up people due to her lack of range.

Hope somebody can shed some light on this. New to smash overall and probably have wrong opinions about this stuff

I don't know too much about Rosalina, but you might be able to glean some information about her from these matches from the tournament that was on Saturday:

Rosalina (Frozen) vs Peach (Peachyhime)
Rosalina (Frozen) vs Dedede (Vex)

Also, Rhapsody was right in the previous thread. Block stun is deceptively short, leading to big punishes off of moves I would have suspected I'd recover fast enough to defend against.

yeah, this is one of the things about the game that I'm not really fond of at the moment. It has been giving me a lot of opportunities to go in for a grab since people tend to shield a lot though.

are custom moves allowed in competitive play?

Some tournaments have had them already. I think they'll be allowed since there doesn't seem to be anything super broken. You can't really practice with them against randoms online though because they're banned for whatever reason.

alstein

Are there any easy fighting games? What would an easy fighting game even entail?
:(

Things that make me define a fighting game as hard

Advanced techniques that are difficult, yet necessary to compete at high level and not easily bustable (Tekken movement)

Hard execution for staple combos (1f links/most anime games)

VF has both of those things, but the reason I consider VF easy is that those applications are limited, and VF movement if predicted you can do a lot more than you can in Tekken (if you predict an EDC, you can delay, low or low throw, and the 1f stuff in VF is only a bit more damage usually)

oneida

VF has both of those things, but the reason I consider VF easy is that those applications are limited, and VF movement if predicted you can do a lot more than you can in Tekken (if you predict an EDC, you can delay, low or low throw, and the 1f stuff in VF is only a bit more damage usually)
Beating defensive OSs feels amazing. dear am2 pls give Lau a low throw

casperOne

As a TO, I'd never allow this to happen for a number of reasons, the predominant one being the quality of the splitter; if it's not powered, or the splitter has issues, you're going to affect the display of the other player.

There's also setup time, which is going to hold up the bracket, etc.

Now if he's pushing for it to become the standard, that's a different story. I'm all for that.

(I just wish UFGT wasn't the same weekend as Animazement, that's #1 on my list of events I'd want to attend, CEO is #2)

Combo Breaker has replaced UFGT as the premiere tournament in the midwest.

Rick revealed Combo Breaker at UFGT 10, which in my mind, indicates it's the spiritual successor to UFGT.

Fighting games adding a H2H mode where both players can pick P1 (or P2) side (with their own display adjusted accordingly).

Useful? You have to think there is always some advantage to start on a particular side.

Fighting games adding a H2H mode where both players can pick P1 (or P2) side (with their own display adjusted accordingly).

Useful? You have to think there is always some advantage to start on a particular side.

In games like MK9 the player side definitely matters in terms of trades, and in games like CvS2, corners have different properties, so starting side matters as well.

casperOne

In games like MK9 the player side definitely matters in terms of trades, and in games like CvS2, corners have different properties, so starting side matters as well.

I'm curious, with trades in MK9 always going to P1, is that a bug/unintended, or not? If it was intended, what's the reasoning behind it? It seems like a pretty big oversight.

Grakl

Mostly juice, coffee and water prolly in that order tbh. I'm bad at keeping bottled water around and tap always tastes off. Around this time last year I got violently ill, with a splitting headache, just felt awful. Pretty sure I was just dehydrated.

jumping rope sounds dope. Might invest.
What kind of juice? You probably shouldn't even drink that tbh.

alstein

As a TO, I'd never allow this to happen for a number of reasons, the predominant one being the quality of the splitter; if it's not powered, or the splitter has issues, you're going to affect the display of the other player.

There's also setup time, which is going to hold up the bracket, etc.

Now if he's pushing for it to become the standard, that's a different story. I'm all for that.

Combo Breaker has replaced UFGT as the premiere tournament in the midwest.

Rick revealed Combo Breaker at UFGT 10, which in my mind, indicates it's the spiritual successor to UFGT.

Isn't that in Alabama? Alabama's not the midwest (Google search showed a tourney in Dothan, AL, which is really small town)

Hmm it's like he forgot he and Justin helped development on this monitor here:
http://evilgeniuses.gg/Read/237,Justin-and-Eduardo-on-the-BenQ-RL2460HT/

My group has a couple of these BenQs and they have built in HDMI out for a braindead easy H2H set up. You can just daisy chain two of these together to stream as well.
The piggy backed monitor doesn't even get additional input lag.
I'm not a shill! D:

Top Bottom