• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 6-12 | One Frame, Two Frame, Just Frame, Plus Frame

Astarte

Smash bros. soundtrack is kickass.

Yeah it is! I really wish that there was an option to force the first song (seeing as how you can force the second song to play) so that I can dropkick people as jigglypuff to Wario ware inc

As I said in my tweets, H2H -can- cause lag, depending on equipment used, which is always an issue. Even if there isn't lag, someone isn't going to want to play on it during pools, let alone on stage. Also setup time is going to just delay things, and there might not be room on the tables. Too many unknown factors. We tried very hard to make a universal system with monitor models to ensure that play was as lag-free as possible. Splitters and a H2H kinda throws a wrench in that, and isn't fair to the other 15 people in your pool.

Also, I'm pretty hype for TFC and I'm not even running it anymore. The Raleigh crowd is having sessions all week in preparation. It's gonna be a great time. Definitely come down if you can!

Rhapsody

Banned
I don't recall if CP had this (I don't believe it did), but it'd be a neat addition if one could just spectate a match in lobby mode by going up to a cabinet.

It would be nice, although I can kinda see why it might not let you. In BBCP's case at least, the netcode was weird where the game has more input delay when there are more people in the lobby. It's trying to make everyone sync with the match giving it issues sometimes. I haven't tried big player lobbies in P4AU, but it might be the same.

Azure J

I heard Zuntata did a song for Smash 4

I wish it was Daddy Mulk

Who is Zuntata? My first experience with them is hearing this funky Mysterious Murasame Castle medley in Smash Run and honestly I'm sad every time I hear it because it sounds like something that'd play in a Takamaru reveal trailer.

Who is Zuntata? My first experience with them is hearing this funky Mysterious Murasame Castle medley in Smash Run and honestly I'm sad every time I hear it because it sounds like something that'd play in a Takamaru reveal trailer.

Zuntata is Taito's in-house band. They made music for games like Ninja Warriors, Gallactic Attack/Layer Section, and Darius.

Here's footage of them playing Daddy Mulk live in 1990:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NteidGHXV7U

Aquashark

Banned
here's a potential controversial opinion, trying to tone down my unjustified hype for MKX:

NRS games:
* no poking normals or footsies allowed. at best, neutral game consists of pressuring with safe target combos/strings.
* no projectile clashing, zoning results into random trades.
* too much emphasis on juggles in combos.

any takers?

Kumubou

Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax got more rotten.
BOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dokuro-chan was one of the only characters I would have played as. :< DBFC confirmed for worst fighting game -- the only good thing about it is that it means French Bread is still getting rent checks.

I know a lot of people here have gone over this, but I would tell him to sit down and shut up. It'll take too long to set up, may introduce other issues and some events just don't have the space. If it's really that much of a concern (and I can see how it would be an issue), buy some silent switches for your buttons/stick and bring something to block your opponent's view.

I'm curious, with trades in MK9 always going to P1, is that a bug/unintended, or not? If it was intended, what's the reasoning behind it? It seems like a pretty big oversight.
This is intentional, although a bit different from how older MKs handled it. I know in UMK3 hit trade advantage was randomly assigned, and the player that didn't have it could instead do some combos that the player with the advantage could not do. Don't ask me WHY that happens; UMK3 is a super messed up game.

Compbros

I'm curious, with trades in MK9 always going to P1, is that a bug/unintended, or not? If it was intended, what's the reasoning behind it? It seems like a pretty big oversight.

Unintentional more than likely, there were a lot of bugs in MK9 that clearly wasn't meant to be in the game and that's probably just one more of them.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
here's a potential controversial opinion, trying to tone down my unjustified hype for MKX:

NRS games:
* no poking normals or footsies allowed. at best, neutral game consists of pressuring with safe target combos/strings.

any takers?

What do you want people to say here?

Keep playing Street Fighter?

NRS games:

any takers?
I don't understand harping on "juggles" in combos. Does it matter how the combo system works aesthetically?

Bloody hell those last pages of the previous FGW. WTF, people!?

Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax got more rotten.

Is that good or bad?

I don't see how this is a problem. I understand it's cheaper to be side by side but I'd argue that the arcades back in the day were both too so...dunno.

Divekick comes out on PS4 this week.

So yeah, that is a thing.

Getting that for Xbox One :)

Compbros

NRS games:

any takers?

I'll bite.

This is incorrect, at least as far as MK9 but Injustice it's very true minus, say, Aquaman and Superman and a few others.. Pokes/counter pokes are a huge part of the MK9 meta. MK9 is footsie heavy, it's just a different style from SF footsies.

No there's not clashing but zoning isn't random trades, it's still what has the faster startup/recovery/travel speed. It's truly just knowing the frame data from afar, no different from knowing it up close, not random at all.

That's just how NRS games are, if you don't like juggle combos then you're probably not gonna enjoy NRS games. I personally never understood this gripe but to each their own. Regardless, some characters in MK9 aren't "juggle combo" heavy and rely more on pokes/pressure like a Johnny Cage instead of keeping the opponent in the air like a Kitana.

This video speaks to your first and third gripes, though there's juggle combos it's more about spacing and pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSU-ZSerb2s

Edit:

Do we know if MKX have a combo breaker?

Yes, still two bars but now also requires full stamina.

1 bar, Enhanced/Meter Burned moves.

2 bar, breaker.

3 bar, X-ray.

Essay

NRS games:

Just to ensure we're clear, the issue here is that you don't like how target combos come out on wiff, right? So footsie is no longer dancing around buffering specials behind a normal that could safely wiff, but rather dancing around to get someone to walk into or get wiff-punished by your target combo? I'd argue both are still footsies, it's just that, in MK, the neutral game is quicker to end because every button someone is hitting is committing them to more than someone would in Street Fighter.

Shouta

No internet at home is rough but good thing for RPGs.

Still practicing P4U2 combos like mad though.

Also agreed in response to Rog's tweet. I wouldn't allow it for pools but there's no reason why main stage matches aren't head to head. If we had the space and the equipment, maybe we can do it for pools but no exceptions for H2H if we're doing side by side normally.

Yeah you can't spectate in CP either.

For me the only thing missing is some type of spectator mode on ASW lobby system. Make it limited with 3 slots or whatever per cabinet or just some type of '' main screen '' on the lobby when you can see random matchs.

I'm really curious to see how the Xrd lobby works though

IIRC Xrd will not have the lobbies that P4U2 and BBCP has.

BOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dokuro-chan was one of the only characters I would have played as. :<

Dokuro-chan would have a suicide super where you do it, the intro starts playing and you end up in hospital IRL because you subjected your opponent to that piece of earmurder.

Compbros

Now that's interesting. How fast is stamina recovery because you recover it mid combo I've heard.

From the videos I've seen, not doing any dashing it recovers from empty to full in a few seconds and recovers much slower during strings.

Edit: No clue if it recovers while being hit.

Anth0ny

m2kgodlikesidebv7i26.gif

WHAT A MANEUVER.

Grinding for moves in Sm4sh actually makes me miss doing the same in Dissidia, and it was already a cakewalk in Dissidia. What in the fuck was Nintendo thinking, holy shit.

Aquashark

Banned
Just to ensure we're clear, the issue here is that you don't like how target combos come out on wiff, right? So footsie is no longer dancing around buffering specials behind a normal that could safely wiff, but rather dancing around to get someone to walk into or get wiff-punished by your target combo? I'd argue both are still footsies, it's just that, in MK, the neutral game is quicker to end because every button someone is hitting is committing them to more than someone would in Street Fighter.
hmm, well put. i agree with this, even if i still don't enjoy the style of it. guess it's a matter of habit and taste.

CPS2

If it's really that much of a concern (and I can see how it would be an issue), buy some silent switches for your buttons/stick and bring something to block your opponent's view.
Is that why he wants a 2nd monitor? I would've thought its just because sharing a 24" monitor sucks.

Anne

Is that why he wants a 2nd monitor? I would've thought its just because sharing a 24" monitor sucks.

A lot of it has to do with hearing buttons and being that close to your opponent. Silent buttons and empty buttons exist for a reason. Also remember what Mago said about Sanford at Evo? That's the kind of stuff that happens with side by side.

I prefer head to head but there are some people who prefer side to side because of presence and mind games.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Grinding for moves in Sm4sh actually makes me miss doing the same in Dissidia, and it was already a cakewalk in Dissidia. What in the fuck was Nintendo thinking, holy shit.
But unlocking things is fun and has a sense of progression dooooooood

The casual people I know are complaining that Kirby got "nerfed"

Sanford sat close to the monitor and hit empty buttons and used exaggerated movements etc to try and throw him off.

Things like this kinda urk me when playing in person even when I do the same things. I would prefer playing head2head but it'll take too many TV's and time.

Anne

Things like this kinda urk me when playing in person even when I do the same things. I would prefer playing head2head but it'll take too many TV's and time.

Time isn't the issue, it's budget and space. Being on the back end of a big tournament, I can tell you that space is worth more than gold.

CurlyW

Isn't that in Alabama? Alabama's not the midwest (Google search showed a tourney in Dothan, AL, which is really small town)

The Alabama tournament by the same name is a coincidence, I suppose. Rick (aka TheHadou) announced that Combo Breaker would be the spiritual successor to UFGT (i.e. the Chicago major) during Keits' goodbye speech at UFGTX. (It's somewhere in the LevelUp archives. I'll link it if I get a chance to look for it later because you also get a rare glimpse of me.)

Anyway, we're already underway with the planning process for Combo Breaker 2015 (in Chicago) and should have the website up soon.

A lot of it has to do with hearing buttons and being that close to your opponent. Silent buttons and empty buttons exist for a reason. Also remember what Mago said about Sanford at Evo? That's the kind of stuff that happens with side by side.

I prefer head to head but there are some people who prefer side to side because of presence and mind games.

Can you hear this stuff with headphones one?

At EVO, I couldn't hear the other guys buttons with the headphones on, plus it's loud. Maybe I am not wanting to pay attention, i don't know.

I want head to head because you get more room and don't have to share a small screen. It would be nice if space and budget allowed.

All stage stuff should be head to head I would think, top 16 or 8 or whatever.

But that's not even true. Pokes are a huge part of the neutral game. You use them as keep out and to get in just like Street Fighter. Since you can cancel a dash into a low poke and they give good advantage on hit they're super strong.

Busaiku

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax's OST is really good too.
I like the OP a lot more in particular.
Though I only ever play Junes.

Top Bottom