• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 6-12 | One Frame, Two Frame, Just Frame, Plus Frame

I don't like Kirby's new hammer being like D3's. Thankfully custom moves can (probably) help with this!

And speaking of which, are they allowed in tournaments? I don't see why they wouldn't be, since setup doesn't take long. Equipment I would understand, though. This ain't Dissidia, no matter how much Sakurai seems to want it to be.

kirblar

Ricky has a real job, so Justin being the one to travel makes sense.

Custom moves are awesome and should be allowed- the problem of course is going to be tournament stations having them unlocked, lol.

Did he say why?

Just my theory, but I think this was a strategic plan instead of Jwong just not wanting to go to TFC. Basically he doesn't want to cock block Kbrad's chances of getting in the Capcom Cup. Jwong hasn't won a automatic spot, but he's so high up in points that his spot is basically guaranteed at this point. Kbrad on the other hand is tied for 8th with Snake Eyez who I hear is also attending. He needs every point he can get and having Jwong possibly get in his way of placing higher wouldn't be good for him. Ricky is sitting more comfortably but she doesn't have that big of a lead that she can just sit still because their is still a possibility of her losing her spot if she doesn't gain more points.

I'm finding it pretty fun to keep up with the standings now. It's like week 13 of the NFL season and everybody who is still alive is fighting hard for those final wild card spots.

Didn't she already qualify?

Nope, but she's 3rd in points among the top 6 who aren't automatically qualified. Right behind her is Kbrad, Snake Eyez, Gamerbee, Xian, Fuudo, and Chu Chu(Brazilian player). So yeah, their is a chance she can fallout of the top 6.

pixelish

I'm finding it pretty fun to keep up with the standings now. It's like week 13 of the NFL season and everybody who is still alive is fighting hard for those final wild card spots.
phew, i thought i was the only one who has been following the cpt standings closely lately. like what rice-eater said, it is an exciting period for stream monsters as most of the top players who have a decent shot in qualifying for the capcom cup are travelling everywhere just to get points. for example, xian, gamerbee and humanbomb have been travelling all over asia in the past month or so in order to compete for those points considering that they (well the first two names mentioned) are virtually neck and neck in the standings.

Azure J

I don't like Kirby's new hammer being like D3's. Thankfully custom moves can (probably) help with this!

And speaking of which, are they allowed in tournaments? I don't see why they wouldn't be, since setup doesn't take long. Equipment I would understand, though. This ain't Dissidia, no matter how much Sakurai seems to want it to be.

Customs are still good. Equipment is getting a hot ban though.

I killed someone with Raptor Boost. Fuck is this game

Real talk, there's a bunch of stuff in this game that will pretty much force you to unlearn 14 yeears worth of ingrown Smash things instantly. I still haven't fully gotten used to the idea of Fox/Falco having air actions after doing a side special. Also everything Shiek does ever.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
so whens this capcom tournament suppose to happen? im really hoping for an announcement of sorts but we all know we're just getting more DLC costumes...

Malice215

The prereg pools for TFC are here.

http://thefallclassic.challonge.com/

TFC and RFD are this weekend and there hasn't been much talk about either tournament or about the majority of the other tournaments that have taken place, so it's not a specific TO issue or whatever. It's just in general there's not much to talk about on here before a tournament unless there's a big special event or money match taking place. What can you really talk about when the pools aren't final?

But I'm excited for both events. There's going to be lots of tough competition as people try to qualify for Capcom Cup. Plus Twitch is flying Snake Eyez out there.

As for Justin, who wouldn't want to go to Amsterdam over Raleigh if they had the opportunity? You can puff grass and eat a$$ all day over there.

Sayah

You aren't getting the 3DS version? :(

I'm not much of a handheld person. I played the game on a friend's 3DS but I'm hoping to buy the Wii U version when that released. I want to face to you online. :p Haven't played Smash for so long I probably suck right now, haha.

As an above-average person, who can count frames, i think you're right Sayah

LOL

mentioned this in last week's thread but his greatest offense is his shitty attitude towards people who are trying to help him with basic concepts - especially hilarious given his apparent ability to count frames

6XJXt4T.png

LOL x2

Nyoro SF

Not even close, everyone wants their favorite character to be awesome.

That's what I was about to say. lol

I am always very sad in a casual sense if my favorite character is a weakling. Especially if I'm a spectator.

mentioned this in last week's thread but his greatest offense is his shitty attitude towards people who are trying to help him with basic concepts - especially hilarious given his apparent ability to count frames

6XJXt4T.png

Wow and here I was thinking it was pro trolling. But now I can't tell anymore.

Zissou

Well- got a ps4 and a stick for it on the way so I can play the Xrd demo.
dat financial decision making o_O

Essay

But that's not even true. Pokes are a huge part of the neutral game. You use them as keep out and to get in just like Street Fighter. Since you can cancel a dash into a low poke and they give good advantage on hit they're super strong.

Isn't it though? I'm not saying that pokes aren't a big part of the neutral game, but rather that the game has more instances of the neutral game being decided around actions that both recover slow enough and offer enough reward on block that, once stuck out, they allow the character who made the right read to either establish pressure or damage.

An example of this might be a metered Quan Chi fishing for something like his f+1 string. There is much incentive for him to commit to the first hits of the target combo so he can hit-confirm into his BnB, or block-confirm into rune-trap damage and pressure. Because he's sticking both hits out this ends the neutral game in his favour on both hit or on block as long as he confirms correctly. Conversely, he's almost sure to lose the advantage if it wiffs without any rare hard-wiff-punish-read-into-FADC-combo like you'd need to do something comparably rewarding in SF4.

I think all Aquashark was trying to get at is that this sort of tide-changing footsie scenario is more prominent in his experience of MK than it is in SF (going by his avatar), at whatever level he was taking in the game at.

Would you say that this happens less in modern competitive MK9 play, 16 Bit? I have no doubt some characters can get by poking safely and not forcing these scenarios, but many must still fall back on it, eh? (Honest question; I've been out of MK9 for a few years now.)

I'm not much of a handheld person. I played the game on a friend's 3DS but I'm hoping to buy the Wii U version when that released. I want to face to you online. :p Haven't played Smash for so long I probably suck right now, haha.
Especially when I get a two month head start! Still, I look forward to our eventual games.

Busaiku

Wait, so Brett streams California Burst now?
Didn't see Coopa doing it, so I thought it was this week or something.

1v1 online on Smash 3DS is gorgeous. Shame about otherwise, but to be honest I don't care about 4 player item madness when online, I'll save that for local Wii U sessions.

This might be the first fighting game where I'm actually confident in my abilities as a player. Or, rather, I'm confident in Pac-Man being annoying as fuck.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Now that I think about it, Raptor Boost killing is ok I guess. Especially since you're probably not getting many knees.

I just want to catch a roll with it and call myself a genius for doing so, even though that's probably what the move was always intended to do.

vulva

Nope, but she's 3rd in points among the top 6 who aren't automatically qualified. Right behind her is Kbrad, Snake Eyez, Gamerbee, Xian, Fuudo, and Chu Chu(Brazilian player). So yeah, their is a chance she can fallout of the top 6.

Just my theory, but I think this was a strategic plan instead of Jwong just not wanting to go to TFC. Basically he doesn't want to cock block Kbrad's chances of getting in the Capcom Cup. Jwong hasn't won a automatic spot, but he's so high up in points that his spot is basically guaranteed at this point. Kbrad on the other hand is tied for 8th with Snake Eyez who I hear is also attending. He needs every point he can get and having Jwong possibly get in his way of placing higher wouldn't be good for him. Ricky is sitting more comfortably but she doesn't have that big of a lead that she can just sit still because their is still a possibility of her losing her spot if she doesn't gain more points.

Dat their

Top Bottom