• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Tournament Weekend: Final Round XIX: Friends Among U.S.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I can't believe tournaments are still poorly run after so many years of experience. The complaints people have are generally the same ones from 2009. At some point you gotta think the TOs are either too cheap to get proper help/facilities or are flat out incompetent

Donos

Like EVO, as someone who doesn't play SF anymore, i really like to spectate this game. A lot of good and tense matches. Although FChamp is maybe not really likeable i really like his Dhalsim play. Only could watch to JWong elimation since it was already 00:30 am in germany and my little girl wakes us up at 5 am.
Going to rewatch TOP 8 today. Any special ones i should look out for?

Like EVO, as someone who doesn't play SF anymore, i really like to spectate this game. A lot of good and tense matches. Although FChamp is maybe not really likeable i really like his Dhalsim play. Only could watch to JWong elimation since it was already 00:30 am in germany and my little girl wakes us up at 5 am.
Going to rewatch TOP 8 today. Any special ones i should look out for?

Literally every set in the top8 was worth watching but
Tokido vs Haitani
was some intense shit.

Hutchie

Tbh i didnt really watch any vanilla sf4 tournaments but even in these early days of sfv the game is brilliant to watch. It was great to see some good kens too, i just wish momochi would play him

Syntsui

Tbh i didnt really watch any vanilla sf4 tournaments but even in these early days of sfv the game is brilliant to watch. It was great to see some good kens too, i just wish momochi would play him

He is in a character crysis. There is hope for him to use Ken.

Well, I also expected to see Ken, and was disappointed to see another Chun Li.

Bummer.
He's said that he's going through a bit of a character-crisis and I'm not surprised that he picked Chun-Li since she's a bit more of the style of character that he preferred in SF4. Maybe he'll switch back to Ken, who knows.

I know Fchamp did but J.Wong does too? You'd think that EG sponsorship would help.

Those sponsorships basically just pay for travel expenses. In Street Fighter, if you aren't winning several majors a year, you're poverty.

Tokido had the hypest matches at the tourney, especially that comeback with Haitani. Match of the tourney.

caught the tekken stream. pretty hype

ending was amazing

BoCaQuG.gif

I can't believe tournaments are still poorly run after so many years of experience. The complaints people have are generally the same ones from 2009. At some point you gotta think the TOs are either too cheap to get proper help/facilities or are flat out incompetent

Single tourneys didn't have 1024 entrants in 2009. Or even 2015.

Dear internet: when you think something is simple or easy, it usually isn't.

They could have posted the pools time tables before 2 or 3 in the morning, at the very least. And how hard is it to be able to update brackets? Don't excuse laziness or incompetence, or else it won't ever be remedied.

Skilletor

They could have posted the pools time tables before 2 or 3 in the morning, at the very least. And how hard is it to be able to update brackets? Don't excuse laziness or incompetence, or else it won't ever be remedied.

They were probably dead tired and trying to recuperate from the herculean task of getting a tourney this huge done on time. I don't think it's fair to accuse the organizers of this tournament as "lazy" or "incompetent."

It is possible to have constructive criticism without insulting everybody that put work into getting something as large as Final Round turned out to be finished.

Running tournaments is fucking hard, and I really can't imagine what it was like to have over double the number of people you had TOTAL last year for a single game this year.

Tripon

Evo had over 1000 entrants in 2009 for the first year of SFIV on consoles. It's not easy, but people are coming to your events and expect a certain level of professionalism and excellence.

That you cannot provide it is not an excuse, but a reason not attend next year.

Skilletor

Evo had over 1000 entrants in 2009 for the first year of SFIV on consoles. It's not easy, but people are coming to your events and expect a certain level of professionalism and excellence.

That you cannot provide it is not an excuse, but a reason not attend next year.

Yes, and previous EVOs had stupid shit like switching from double elim to single elim in pools AFTER the tourney had started, changing the number of rounds you play mid tourney and numerous other things. Those are the most egregious off the top of my head.

Luckily they learned and grew.

crash-14

I'm sorry but if they aren't capable to host a tournament this huge, they shouldn't host it. It's not an event they're doing for fun. They're charging people to compete on it. Since the moment money it's involve, production should be as professional as it should. The issues came due lack of forethought. Most of the people didn't sing up the same day the event started...

It wasn't APEX venue issue (Which makes a good example of how to react against adversity, beside having people helping).

If I was Capcom I'll totally relegate FR to a ranking event. At the end you gotta look for bussiness and leave friendships aside (And in the end it's the best thing for FR TO's

Shouta

There are a things that are difficult with unexpected growth then there are mistakes that shouldn't happen. Not having a schedule that clearly states when pools will happen for attendees to check and figure out is one of those things that can be done regardless of size.

Hex

Banned

The problem is, it is not like these were walk ups.
It was pre-reg and if you have to have a limit to make things run smooth man up and have a limit.
The pre-reg lets you know what to expect and bring on help to do it.
This is an ongoing thing with Final Round and there is always an excuse.
Set a pre-reg limit, and then have a small block of walk ups available first come first serve.
People finding out at 4am when their pools are the next morning is stupid. Staff not knowing where things are is also unacceptable. Moving pools AFTER people waiting until 4am is even worse when they do not put out a broadcast and post it on their facebook or twitter

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

The size of SF5's tournament this year was borderline irrelevant to Final Round's main issues.

Source: I've been on staff at FR for the past 4 years.

The size of SF5's tournament this year was borderline irrelevant to Final Round's main issues.

Source: I've been on staff at FR for the past 4 years.

They had pools up on like Wednesday didn't they? Each of them had 13 players with room for 3 more players. Why couldn't they just assign newly registered players to a pool # (1-64) on the basis of arrival time? In the instance they run into a top player registering like Xian, they can skip the numerical order and hand pick one of the from what I saw dozens of pools without a top player.

That seemed like the best way to handle on site registration.

Sixfortyfive

They had pools up on like Wednesday didn't they? Each of them had 13 players with room for 3 more players. Why couldn't they just assign newly registered players to a pool # (1-64) on the basis of arrival time? In the instance they run into a top player registering like Xian, they can skip the numerical order and hand pick one of the from what I saw dozens of pools without a top player.

That seemed like the best way to handle on site registration.

Because the only training that some of the staff had on the new bracket software was less than half an hour on Thursday night before Final Round.

Sayad

Thanks. Searched on twitch, the Final Round and capcom fighters sites. YT didn't come to my mind.
It's also on twitch, but CapcomFighters channel archive is behind a paywall, because Capcom really need every $ they can put their hand on.

It's also on twitch, but CapcomFighters channel archive is behind a paywall, because Capcom really need every $ they can put their hand on.
They've become a lot quicker at upoloading the VODs to youtube now. They're pretty much up within hours of the broadcasts ending.

Sixfortyfive

Every streamer worth his salt will post his VODs to Youtube as quickly as possible and either lock away or delete Twitch archives, because Twitch ad revenue is a joke in comparison (and non-partners don't even get any revenue from Twitch).

When I stream at an event, I delete my Twitch archives the minute that I confirm that the local recordings turned out okay and not a second later. I've had way too many instances of people siphoning significant numbers of views by jacking and reuploading my archives, and that stuff does eventually add up.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
But people actually pay real money to watch the Twitch archives, Capcom can't do that on their channel.

Top Bottom