• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Tournament Weekend: Final Round XIX: Friends Among U.S.

...the only reason he won is Japan had it before us. *moves goalpost*
Well considering how Justin Wond didn't have a particularly great grasp of the game and he was one of the professionals promoting it. Yeah I'd say that it moves the goal post to where it should be.

jbug617

Banned
Justin is trying to find Art a hotel room to have a money match stream. Champ and Momochi are playing each other in the hotel lobby surrounded by a bunch of people.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Back home. Time to start uploading 65+ GB of videos.

Sucks that I never found a room to host a Marvel suite, but to be honest, I wouldn't have looked forward to do it anyway with as little sleep as I was getting.

The Razer CEO speaks

It’s with great pleasure that I’d like to announce that RZR|Infiltration has won Final Round - the first premier SF V tournament.

However, while this is a great win for Team Razer and the FGC, it has come to my attention that there was a malfunction of the fighting sticks used by RZR|Xian and RZR|Fuudo at the tournament. These malfunctions have been due to the use of our PS4 prototypes which was also the same one used by Infiltration.

The good news is that we’re committed to the FGC and can confirm that we’ve been working on PS4 products given the move of the FGC to the PS4 platform. And in this case, like every Razer product (and now it’s an open secret), we field-test them all in actual tournament gameplay by our eSports athletes as part of our validation/testing phase before we go into actual mass production. In this case, it’s provided Infiltration with the win as he was using one of our prototypes in the tournament.

The bad news however is that despite our PS4 prototype sticks working flawlessly for the past couple of months, what looks to be a firmware bug resulted in a malfunction of some our prototypes that were used by Xian & Fuudo at the tournament. Rest assured that we’ll be resolving this issue before we go into the next phase of testing and before they go into mass production.

In the light of this, we will suspend any new FGC sponsorships until the PS4 sticks are ready for production. I understand this may cause some concern as we see other corporate sponsors pulling out from the FGC at this time but rest assured we will reinstate our sponsorships for the FGC when our PS4 products are ready and of course our existing support for our players remains unaffected.

https://www.facebook.com/minliangtan

JayEH

Does that mean Infiltration and co. are without a sponsor for the moment?

edit: oh it says new sponsorships.

No, he just said no new sponsorships. Which I don't even know why he had to say. Are they really adding new players to their team that often that they need to 'suspend' their intake?

Durden77

What do they mean other corporate sponsors pulling out? Who else is leaving?

Also how was the viewcount this year compared to last? I saw it peak around 91,000 which seems excellent.

I'm sure this was posted already, but Alex Jebailey's (the organizer of CEO) comments on FR:

My ‪#‎FR19‬ experience. Disclaimer: I don't care if this burns any bridges amongst myself and other organizers in the ‪#‎FGC‬. Poor event management has to stop, it's turning off new players to the scene and stopping them from ever coming back. Finals being hype and surviving the weekend is no longer an excuse for accountability.

I came out to FR19 this year for a few reasons. One it would be one of my few chances to compete in ‪#‎SFV‬ among the best in the world outside of EVO. 2 cause it's been a while since I've been to FR and some of my favorite early SFIV memories are from FR before CEO existed. Wanted to see friends from all over to eat and drink in the evenings which is the only redeeming quality at poorly run events these days. This was one of my only few chances this year to have fun with the FGC.

I spent what time I could enjoying casual matches with players. Playing inside of my pool matches is what really upset me. Getting bumped during games, once your match was done you were stuck waiting on the people next to you to be done. As a player it's just horrible to be treated like sardines and not having a comfortable environment to play in. I was sweating and just irritated that it affected my loser's final match but I'm happy for Eco who got a chance to compete in top 128 today after beating me.

I had to hear so many complaints of people being DQ'd because they didn't know heir pool assignments until 4 am the day of. Heck I got 2 byes in my Killer Instinct pool on Friday cause they didn't know their pools had been combined and moved earlier cause no official word ever went out as it should. Solution: if you take on site reg. Pre-write names into numbers which represents their pool they'll be thrown into so they know as soon as they pay for their badge where they will be so they don't have to find out when a friend texts them HEY you're gonna get DQ'd.

It wasn't easy to find where your game was hosted. Solution: posting an easy to read map of where each game is before the event will prevent 1,000 people scrambling and asking/pestering your staff until they find it.

Even the staff runners were lost sometimes but to their credit they all really did their best running stuff where they could even if they had to lose their voices.
Of course what will happen is an apology that they weren't prepared for 1,000 plus in SFV and that it'll get better next year, but I hate to say this, if you can't get the basics right after 19 years, nothing will ever change unless you bring in proper help and not overwhelm the small amount of main staff you have. You can't grow if you can't progress.

I'd hate to see an event get shut down by a fire Marshall when it gets overcrowded and everything can be ruined. I nearly experienced that with APEX 2015.
Events should be full of fun memories, not bad experiences that'll sour your mouth.
I could say so much more but the community has said enough already, too bad it'll fall on deaf ears. I hope I'm wrong and that things only go up from here.

Skipping my MegaBus ride back to Orlando tomorrow and paid 200 bucks for a flight out today just to get back to work and take a day off to relax tomorrow cause I just couldn't get over my bad experience on Friday/Saturday outside of the awesome foyer area full of arcade cabs.

My time is really limited now and I came out on my own dime to have fun with everyone, but I just couldn't and I can't "take the high road" anymore. If someone in my position doesn't say something and take the heat, nothing will ever change.
I just want every event to be awesome so everyone gets interested in attending even more. Safe travels back home everyone. If anyone thinks less of me for this, I'm sorry but the people have to be heard.

https://www.facebook.com/Googlemyname/posts/10104972077334012

Tripon

At Final Round, Razer had to ask Matthew Gummo to fix Infiltration stick after the verification error. This is the before picture after Infiltration's stick stopped working and Gummo worked on it.

Note: The photos are from Dec. 15th. Guess they asked again.

CWJw9rtVEAAqRd9.jpg

https://twitter.com/Gummowned/status/676227118599131136

This is after Gummo worked on it.

CWJevHiU4AAxUeW.jpg

https://twitter.com/Gummowned/status/676207077044408325

PS4 'prototype' indeed.

The PCB is from a Hori FPS pad.

@TheHadou they are using the hori FPS ps4 pcb.

https://twitter.com/Gummowned/status/711662997790392320

Man i can only imagine how crowded and difficult to manage evo will become this year. I hope Mr. Wizard is up to the task.

I just wonder how long it's going to take to run the SFV tournament. They had to cap FR at 1024 participants and pools still seemed like they went on forever. At last check EVO had 3k+ people registered for SFV...and that was nearly a month ago.

broz0rs

Anybody know what's NCR's numbers are at the moment? From what I've read, it seems NCR has the reputation of being the worst run major. Would be interesting to see if they can also try to handle a big turnout.

Dahbomb

Just saw the results for Final Round....

USA ain't sniffing that EVO win are they?

Good stuff to Sonic Fox though making top 8 in a stacked bracket.

And looks like I also missed Justin Marvelous Wong winning in Marvel 3 over Chris in Grand Finals! Seemed like it was a very solid top 8.

hwateber

Anybody know what's NCR's numbers are at the moment? From what I've read, it seems NCR has the reputation of being the worst run major. Would be interesting to see if they can also try to handle a big turnout.
NCR always has the hypest trailers though lol. Sometimes I'll randomly watch the previous ones on YouTube

I'm sure this was posted already, but Alex Jebailey's (the organizer of CEO) comments on FR:

https://www.facebook.com/Googlemyname/posts/10104972077334012

I can't say too much as I was only there for a limited time to play one game. But I got there on time for my pool and they didn't start till an hour later. That's standard FGC time so that's the least of my complaint. The bigger problem was the massive over crowding.

The rooms in the Hilton just aren't big enough to host a tournament as massive a SFV along with all the other games that are officially hosted by FR. Imagine the largest non-EVO tournament ever only getting one side of the main ball room that isn't even that big. The other side hosted another game and the back side had another one while the middle was for seats to watch the main stream. SFV pools were so massively overcrowded that after I played my match, their was no where for me to go while waiting for my next match. I barely slipped back into the flood of people to make way for the next guy to play. It was shoulder to shoulder and got very hot because of this. I went with my brother in law and told him we're getting the hell out of there as soon as I was eliminated.

I can't speak too much about the other issue that Jebailey pointed out but I did witness tons of DQ's and I don't think it was the fault of the players for most of these. They were not clear about pool times and didn't answer tweets about them when I went looking for info. As far as I know, they never clarified things at all. I only figured out when I was suppose to be there when I did the math of 8 pools per 2 hours on my own and then matched it up with my pool. Sure most players did the same thing but it would have made such a huge difference if the FR twitter account or site did this themselves instead of expecting the players to figure it out.

At the end of FR Larry said he'll probably look for a new place next year. I hope that's the case because if he doesn't I don't think I'll go back. It's just not a good experience for the casual tournament attendees like myself. I don't want FR to suffer a decline or anything but I hope Larry and company can make the improvements needed to make FR a smoother, funner, and more comfortable experience for everybody.

kirblar

I can't say too much as I was only there for a limited time to play one game. But I got there on time for my pool and they didn't start till an hour later. That's standard FGC time so that's the least of my complaint. The bigger problem was the massive over crowding.

The rooms in the Hilton just aren't big enough to host a tournament as massive a SFV along with all the other games that are officially hosted by FR. Imagine the largest non-EVO tournament ever only getting one side of the main ball room that isn't even that big. The other side hosted another game and the back side had another one while the middle was for seats to watch the main stream. SFV pools were so massively overcrowded that after I played my match, their was no where for me to go while waiting for my next match. I barely slipped back into the flood of people to make way for the next guy to play. It was shoulder to shoulder and got very hot because of this. I went with my brother in law and told him we're getting the hell out of there as soon as I was eliminated.

I can't speak too much about the other issue that Jebailey pointed out but I did witness tons of DQ's and I don't think it was the fault of the players for most of these. They were not clear about pool times and didn't answer tweets about them when I went looking for info. As far as I know, they never clarified things at all. I only figured out when I was suppose to be there when I did the math of 8 pools per 2 hours on my own and then matched it up with my pool. Sure most players did the same thing but it would have made such a huge difference if the FR twitter account or site did this themselves instead of expecting the players to figure it out.

At the end of FR Larry said he'll probably look for a new place next year. I hope that's the case because if he doesn't I don't think I'll go back. It's just not a good experience for the casual tournament attendees like myself. I don't want FR to suffer a decline or anything but I hope Larry and company can make the improvements needed to make FR a smoother, fun, and comfortable experience for everybody.
FGC events have to start going to convention centers (for the large CPT ones, anyway.) They've outgrown hotel ballrooms.

Just saw the results for Final Round....

USA ain't sniffing that EVO win are they?

Good stuff to Sonic Fox though making top 8 in a stacked bracket.

And looks like I also missed Justin Marvelous Wong winning in Marvel 3 over Chris in Grand Finals! Seemed like it was a very solid top 8.

Yeah the Marvel GFs were super fun.

Rurunaki

I'm impressed by that SFV turnout.. They really had to cap the participants? I fee bad for those who made the trip and didn't get to participate. Hopefully, they'll figure out the logistics for the next tourneys.

Another half of a decade of America being free at Street Fighter...

Sonic Fox plz!

How old is Noah now?

I'm impressed by that SFV turnout.. They really had to cap the participants? I fee bad for those who made the trip and didn't get to participate. Hopefully, they'll figure out the logistics for the next tourneys.

It's 2016 if you're too lazy to register online and waste money on travel you kind of deserve it.

kirblar

The reduced barrier to entry means everyone is now playing this game on top of their main games. It's awesome and will lead to amazing things, but it means growing pains.

Renekton

FGC events have to start going to convention centers (for the large CPT ones, anyway.) They've outgrown hotel ballrooms.
Can the FGC afford it? It's not exactly sponsored by Riot and may not get the viewership numbers that LoL or CSGO do. 3 years ago John Choi revealed paltry sponsorship money for NCR2013.

The entrance fees may have to go up?

Sheroking

Can the FGC afford it? It's not exactly sponsored by Riot and may not get the viewership numbers that LoL or CSGO do. 3 years ago John Choi revealed paltry sponsorship money for NCR2013.

The entrance fees may have to go up?

I can`t claim to know how different the sponsor situation is, but a lot has changed since 2013.

What Final Round was is not all that far removed from what EVO used to be. 80,000 viewers is way up on last year, which was up from the year before. There was no CPT. There was no Redbull.

Larger venues may require bigger entrance fees, but a huge number of people are booking flights to get to these majors. An extra twenty bucks is not going to break them.

I don't see why they're not allowing on-site registration even though people should pre register. As long as you don't start the tournament on Friday it should be running much smoother than Final Round did it. Well I understand why they choose to do it, but it's not like you can't prepare for the extra one hundred people or so.

Final Round had 64 pools with 13 or players in each pool. That was all from pre-registration. They capped it at 1024. They knew it would hit 1024 considering last year there were about 100+ on site registrations for USF4. So the pool could only have a max of 16 players. There was no reason to switch people in pools. Anyone that took a look at the pools could clearly see that you could easily fit the dozen top players that registered on the last day into a pool that didn't have another top talent so no reason why making up the brackets should be difficult.

It's for the best, you don't want players like Xian showing at the last minute and screwing up the seeding.

That's what I'm talking about. The pools that were posted a few days before the tournament or the day before the tournament had a lot of pools that had no top player in sight. There were like 20 of those. They could have easily have fit Xian into one of them.

Top Bottom