• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filming begins on Godzilla 2, synopsis and cast revealed

I like GMK and Final Wars for very different reasons.

They are my favourite of the Millennium series actually. If it weren't for those two I'd prefer Heisei outright.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
GMK was fine. I was annoyed at seeing Mothea jobbing.
The two Mecha-Godzilla movies, tho.
Two of the best movies of the Franchise.

Sephzilla

Mothra jobbing is the best part of GMK. I hate seeing Godzilla have to job to Mothra most of the goddamn time. Ghidorah getting a face push was weird as hell though.

I am a fan of when they team up.
Didnt liked Gidorah beeing the good guy this time.
Wasn't Ghidorah supposed to be another kaiju? The studio demanded KG be in the movie, but he didn't want anyone to be bigger than Godzilla so he made KG smaller.

Kind of annoying, because it would have been better without KG.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Destroyah is my fave godzilla monster, honestly it felt like they made him job on purpose. Like he was wrecking godzilla with a bunch of op shit then he just stops using said things and fights clumsy and dumb then eventually loses

At least with how OP space godzilla was they had an energy source for him to be tied to and he got double teamed when it lost.

Destroyah was like, Oh it can fly, oh it can suck life force, oh it can fucking melt godzilla, oh it has a fucking light saber, oh it passively rengenerates it's wounds. Let's use almost none of these things more than once let it eat a fucking super beam, STILL FUCKING LIVE then get jobbed and frozen by humans mid air then die

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Wasn't Ghidorah supposed to be another kaiju? The studio demanded KG be in the movie, but he didn't want anyone to be bigger than Godzilla so he made KG smaller.

KG, Monthra and Anguirus(? I always tend to mix these quadrupa Kaijus up) were Protector-Spirits of Japan or something along these lines

Blader

I liked the role reversal of Ghidorah as the good guy in GMK. My big disappointment with that movie is that the final battle happens completely off screen!

Neither Mothra nor Ghidorah were supposed to be in the movie; I believe the kaiju cast originally consisted of Godzilla, Baragon, and Varan, but Toho mandated Mothra and Ghidorah be put in the movie as they were more popular.

While I liked seeing a good-guy take on Ghidorah for a change, him needing to be "powered up" twice --first to fly, then to use his beams-- was disappointing.

Dehnus

All those people putting Kong down as not strong enough, if Godzilla beats all of those?

Kong is smart enough to use weapons, Kong is fast as hell, Kong uses grappling and has been shown to even climb his enemies (so even if he is shorter than Godzilla he can be a really annoying adversary), Kong can figure out basic physics and can set traps...

They couldn't pull it off the first time the two met, due to the limitations of Cinema at the time. But it can be one hell of a battle with current day technology :p. A slow lumbering but oooh so deadly monster like Godzilla, who can kill Kong in one breath :p. VS A smart, weapon using gigantic Gorilla, that uses speed, physics and weapons to his advantage (including rolls, and setting traps).

Since Kong even is seen to use gigantic anchor chains and ship propellers (and believe me those are HUGE on transport ships like the ones coming from China and Japan to Europe), weighing in at multiple tonnes. He can do some massive damage :p.

Mortals will suffer :p in the city were they will meet :p. Sorry I'm all giddy, I kind of really like bad movies and monster movies (and parody comedies). Call me tasteless and kitschy, I don't care :D.

I also don't think Godzilla 1998 was that bad, it just wasn't a Godzilla movie, they should have named the monster something different.

Daingurse

Only thing good about Final Wars is the Godzilla suit.

Only thing bad about GMK is the Ghidorah suit.

Yep, I really dislike the Ghidorah design in GMK, but other than that it's one of my favorite G-films. I love the Godzilla suit in GMK a lot too. The pot-belly and dead eyes really work.

SMH at calling G14 good or using whataboutisms to defend it. It was a mediocre film with awesome moments but it's not even in the top 10 Godzilla films. Also, I'd avatar bet that Destoroyah won't be in Godzilla vs Kong. Legendary bought the rights to 5 Godzilla monsters in advance years ago, just for the MonsterVerse, and Destoroyah isn't the unknown 5th one. Besides he's not cool at all and his movie sucks.

Also GMK is the shit. It's not great but it's far more interesting than the Tezuka flicks. Or Final Wars lol

After Shin Godzilla, why bother? I'll see the sequel to that movie, thanks.
Yeah definitely. Toho can't do another live action Godzilla movie until 2020 due to their contract with Legendary Pictures. Hideaki Anno might not come back either.

BTW since Sephzilla isn't doing the Kaiju OT I'll gladly pick up the reins. PM me some movie recommendations for beginners if you want to, as we all have different tastes and you might see something I don't.

duckroll

I loved Shin Godzilla, saw it twice in the cinemas, bought the amazing production book, and it was my favorite film last year, but this really isn't an either or situation. Why bother? Maybe because it offers something different? Monsters fighting monsters is cool. I'm looking forward to this, I'm looking forward to Godzilla vs Kong, and I'm looking forward to the CG anime Godzilla Monster Planet trilogy. More giant monsters for everyone!

Daingurse

But then they'll team up against the proto-jaeger, codenamed Mechagodzilla, and it's revealed to be a Pacific Rim crossover
I'd skip Mechagodzilla, and go straight to Mecha-King Ghidorah. They can use Ghidorah's corpse as the base, after Godzilla, Mothra, and Rodan kill him. I want mah cyborg kaiju!

Parch

Kong was good in his pay-per-view. Now Godzilla has a handicap match. The storyline is all leading up to the main event.

Posts like this make no sense to me. It's like people somehow forget, (not implying you, Polioliolio), that outside of barely a handful of films--if even that-- the Godzilla franchise has been almost entirely escapist fantasy. For dozens and dozens of entries in the series, if nuclear weapons are mentioned at all, they're usually in the same silly context as in B-movies and superhero comics as a grab-bag source for a given monster's powers.

The franchise may have started as a somber meditation on the horrors of nuclear weapons, but that's very much been the exception to the rule. The direction Legendary is going is no different than what Toho themselves did as soon as the second-ever film in the series, and most of the rest thereafter. Shin Godzilla indeed channeled a lot of the same sentiments and themes as the original film, but given enough time, you can bet that the pendulum will swing back the other way to more lighthearted fare. It'd hardly be the first time.

Thank christ Anno said he won't do a sequel, and Toho likely is smart enough to just go with a different continuity for the next one.

Arbitrarily extending that story out seems like it would undo all the themes that were expressed perfectly in the first round. Any attempt whatsoever to expand upon the final shot would undo its tone-perfect significance.

Qvoth

would be reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally hard to beat shin godzilla, but if this is somewhere along the line of kong skull island it should be pretty decent
didn't like godzilla 2014 at all

The franchise may have started as a somber meditation on the horrors of nuclear weapons, but that's very much been the exception to the rule. The direction Legendary is going is no different than what Toho themselves did as soon as the second-ever film in the series, and most of the rest thereafter. Shin Godzilla indeed channeled a lot of the same sentiments and themes as the original film, but given enough time, you can bet that the pendulum will swing back the other way to more lighthearted fare. It'd hardly be the first time.
Legendary's films are far from the original sequels. None of them are 1954 levels of masterpieces but they're certainly not popcorn flicks like what Legendary has produced so far.

would be reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally hard to beat shin godzilla,l

Again, at some point I gotta believe people will stop looking at Shin & 2014 as competitors but companion pieces.

Because they're not really that different.

Like, they're both pretty damn good Godzilla movies.

I hope this sequel is better than both of them, honestly. It could be.

None of them are 1954 levels of masterpieces but they're certainly not popcorn flicks like what Legendary has produced so far.

what

Parch

Shin Godzilla is unique and just a different take with the whole political angle. I think they could do a successful sequel. Obviously the Shin movies are nothing like these movies.

The direction Legendary is going is no different than what Toho themselves did as soon as the second-ever film in the series, and most of the rest thereafter.
None of the immediate post 1954 films have any large similarities with what Legendary is doing outside of featuring the same characters and match ups. Legendary's films have more in common stylistically with Western monster movies than the original line up of Godzilla sequels. Its not a similar direction at all, as a more apt comparison would be the direction Toho went after the first couple of Heisei movies.

All those people putting Kong down as not strong enough, if Godzilla beats all of those?

Kong is smart enough to use weapons, Kong is fast as hell, Kong uses grappling and has been shown to even climb his enemies (so even if he is shorter than Godzilla he can be a really annoying adversary), Kong can figure out basic physics and can set traps...

They couldn't pull it off the first time the two met, due to the limitations of Cinema at the time. But it can be one hell of a battle with current day technology :p. A slow lumbering but oooh so deadly monster like Godzilla, who can kill Kong in one breath :p. VS A smart, weapon using gigantic Gorilla, that uses speed, physics and weapons to his advantage (including rolls, and setting traps.

The problem with comparing Godzilla and Kong in these terms is that Godzilla is neither unintelligent nor lumbering. He's definitely not very mobile, but he's pretty coordinated and quick to react. I guess you could say he's slow but dexterous? I mean, Legendary Goji was out there grappling like a boss, and that feint counterattack that killed the male MUTO was slick. And rather than brute force the female, he got clever and found his own shortcut.

Kong is definitely a more creative fighter, and is way more mobile... but Godzilla's not exactly a big dumb cave troll. It's not that Kong can't hold his own, but in a theoretical matchup you have to work hard to stack the odds more in his favor, and it still relies on Godzilla making a lot of mistakes.

It's like a swole dude with a gun vs an unnaturally acrobatic toddler with a knife. And now you can't get that image out of your head.

None of the immediate post 1954 films have any large similarities with what Legendary is doing outside of featuring the same characters and match ups.

I guess my problem is you're now qualifying "Godzilla sequels" with "immediate post 1954," and Legendary's only made one Godzilla movie and we don't really know what the sequel's going to be like.

So it's not a great comparison, I don't feel.

(I also disagree with the notion that Godzilla isn't "popcorn fare" —for as mostly meaningless as that term is but I get what you're going for there—because there's a lot of Godzilla movies that, talky as they may be ultimately, are going for that)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Glad to see 14 finally becomes the love it deserved. Still thinking, that most casual viewers who find it boring expected constant Action shit like Godzilla 98.

Why borhering watching a shorhorned sequel with human sized monsters, without the real Godzilla in a Godzilla Sequel?

Amalthea

Banned
KG, Monthra and Anguirus(? I always tend to mix these quadrupa Kaijus up) were Protector-Spirits of Japan or something along these lines
It's Baragon, originally it was actually going to be the 3 quadrupedal Kaijus of the series: Baragon, Anguirus and Varan. They changed it later.

If you need an "Eselsbrücke" : "bara" means rose in Japanese and Baragons ears are shaped like rose-leafs wich can close like a flower to protect his head, Anguirus is basically a modification of "Ankylos"-aurus, since he is based on those and Varan is... well, just Varan.

I guess my problem is you're now qualifying "Godzilla sequels" with "immediate post 1954," and Legendary's only made one Godzilla movie and we don't really know what the sequel's going to be like.

So it's not a great comparison, I don't feel.
Yeah I am mostly assuming, but there is a consistent feel to the MonsterVerse films so far that I doubt Legendary is gonna ditch and suddenly go into a way more optimistic, lighthearted tone that the Japanese films had.

(I also disagree with the notion that Godzilla isn't "popcorn fare" —for as mostly meaningless as that term is but I get what you're going for there—because there's a lot of Godzilla movies that, talky as they may be ultimately, are going for that)
There are for sure far more popcorn flicks in the series than anything that is good, and that's totally fine. I enjoy them, and I recognize their flaws. Still though, I think that outside of the first there's a decent handful of films that shouldn't be lumped into the likes of Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla, Godzilla vs Megaguirus, etc.

Also yeah "Anguirus" is totally based off ankylosaurus. The original translated name "Angilas" is pretty clearly derived from it but Toho is pretty odd when it comes to international names and their pronunciation.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
They even showed a Ankylosaurus in Godzilla Raids Again when they explained from what species Godzilla and Anguirus originated from.

It's Baragon, originally it was actually going to be the 3 quadrupedal Kaijus of the series: Baragon, Anguirus and Varan. They changed it later.

If you need an "Eselsbrücke" : "bara" means rose in Japanese and Baragons ears are shaped like rose-leafs wich can close like a flower to protect his head, Anguirus is basically a modification of "Ankylos"-aurus, since he is based on those and Varan is... well, just Varan.

If it helps, "Varan" is almost certainly pulled from "Varanoidea", a large grouping of lizard families that includes monitor lizards, komodo dragons, and the like. It's a lizardy name.

Amalthea

Banned
If it helps, "Varan" is almost certainly pulled from "Varanoidea", a large grouping of lizard families that includes monitor lizards, komodo dragons, and the like. It's a lizardy name.
That's why I wrote "... well just Varan.".
He's simply a lizard named Varan. Komodo dragons and their relatives are colloquially called varans in many languages.

Sephzilla

Most the later Showa Era movies are really fucking weird in some way. Vs Gigan had talking Godzilla and cockroach people. Vs Hedorah is a fucking acid trip of a movie. Vs Megalon is ... well, Vs Megalon. Vs MechaGodzilla has the ridiculously long singing sequence.

DrArchon

Vs Megalon had fucking Cesar Romero as the emperor of Seatopia. And a shit ton of stock footage.

God, what a trainwreck.

Top Bottom