• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2014: That Classic Taste [now ending]

Kaelin

Neo Member
Alright guys, real talk. Does everyone play on Active mode with full battle speed? There were two fights that I got frustrated with and turned down the speed but it does feel like cheating.

Preferring a turn-based feel, I use Wait and whatever battle speed lets me get into menus quickly enough. If my party is cozy, though, I'll eschew certain equipment, including Magic Lamp and Hermes Sandals. Not having Haste up in mid/late world 3 (especially against Neo Exdeath and super bosses) can make matters *really* interesting, but it also invites a player to consider more-balanced options (Reflect Ring, Flame Ring, and Elven Cloak each have their advantages, but they can't compete with Hermes Sandals under Wait unless the player has !Time anyway).

8GDIY.png

This line is still worth a chuckle.

Byblos was tough, especially since I wanted to try to beat him without breaking any rods. It took a mixture of Vampire and Fira to do the job, along with many attemps. In retrospect, I could have possibly had less trouble if I remembered to equip Galuf with a Flame Rod to power up his Fira. I'll remember to keep element+ weapons in mind for later.

So I made it from barrier tower with 2 reflect rings (didn't need them for the crystals will be good in fork tower though) and picked up the first 2 tablets. Things that happened:
-Focus monks were doing about 950 damage a hit against the crystals. so it was easy to have one hit, use -aga spell then focus both and another -aga spell to kill crystals without nasty magic phase. Except one thing. The north and west crystals seemed to be immune to magic I was using so I just had to shell up and take them out one at a time.
-ExDeath afterwards was a quick cast break on yourself to end the battle sooner (I think this is faster than phoenix down)
-I didn't know 7th floor of ExDeath castle (the one with the moving floor panel) could have red dragon blue dragon fight, game over there.
-ExDeath is world 2 was harder than it needed to be thanks to having the wrong rod equipped crippling my Black mage damage output.
-Chicken knife it at 50 power but when only my black mage can use it well...it is not FF1 Murasame.
-I reset in pyramid to get Kaiser Knuckles. Probably won't bother going to the falls for another.
-Grabbed 3 weapons (went with all I can equip so the staff, rod and dagger), bought 3 hermes sandles.
-Made it second tablet with <500 exp to go until level 35 (I know a bit over-leveled; blame the monks, there is an enemy which casts level 5 death). Now to run my way out...

So monks, focus is the only way to keep their damage output up without kaiser knuckles. Hermes sandles and focus might be better than those too if we don't consider physical counters.

Just fork tower (I need holy), grabbing the magic lamp and heading into the void now. I have a power staff so might try Shunryu.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think this is the first party where the Dragon Pod actually gave me trouble, I guess I could have used Zeninage but that's taking the easy way out.

First couple tries were just a mess, getting mass blinded, confused, and paralyzed until I was finally taken out. Third try my strategy finally kicked in and worked immediately - took out the three initial flowers, Berserker hit the Pod with the Death Sickle and the effect kicked in. One turn finish.

Did half my grinding in Bal basement. Stole a Twin Lance there, and lots of high potions in the process. Still a ways to go before I get Iainuki/Slash.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I was wondering, would it be possible to end up with 4 classes that are impossible to beat Omniscient with?

Sure, but chances are if you don't have a job that can beat Omniscient you also don't need to beat Omniscient, since the only really important things you get from that point are magic-based anyway (Flare, Holy, Leviathan, Meteor).

I suppose with reflect rings you could still beat him with any party (except berserkers) if you just leave the game running. I guess his reflected attacks will outdamage his regen.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Probably not, since most useless classes for Omniscient still can wield the Mage Masher.

That would require a TON of luck though, silence wears off, so the dagger would have to keep activating every time the effect was gone to keep him from casting return. The chances of that are incredibly slim.

I think Silence spellblade is the only way to physically attack Omniscient without having to worry about return.

Joe Molotov

Even with reflect rings it's kind of a crap shoot, because he has a cycle of spells that he goes through, and the cycle is different every time you face him. Sometimes you get a cycle where he's just never gonna take enough damage to die. The cycles where he casts silence a lot are the best, because when they land, you get a chance to hit him as hard as you can. That's how I beat him with my solo Knight.

Eventually though, he'll run out of MP, but I think I read that it takes about 8 hours, haha.

Ourobolus

Banned
That would require a TON of luck though, silence wears off, so the dagger would have to keep activating every time the effect was gone to keep him from casting return. The chances of that are incredibly slim.

I think Silence spellblade is the only way to physically attack Omniscient without having to worry about return.

Hey, he/she said "impossible," not ridiculously improbable.

Here's RK beating it with just a Monk and Beastmaster.

Ugh. I just...can't do this with my FF1 team. I just get creamed. I can get lucky enough to get to Neo ExDeath with all 4 party members, but then I just get destroyed before I can even hope to take out either of the worst parts.
Gonna have to level like crazy.

graywords

Whew. Finally managed to find a bit of time to finish off my 2nd Fiesta run this year (and ever).

The run through World 3 went pretty smoothly on most fronts. Collected all of the Blue Magics, since I had never done so before. Mighty Guard is amazing. I only bothered getting the first 2 tablets, though I did enter all of the areas for magic or item collecting.

One unfortunate moment is when my team entered the Island Shrine, then promptly got murdered by the Execrators and Lv.5 Death. Once I boosted past level 25, though, there were no more problems.

The Minotaurus battle was obnoxious, with my Berserker missing a ton, and my Beastmaster doing pretty bad damage (and mainly just spamming potions). I probably should have caught something to release on the boss, could have saved some time.

Omniscient got Berserked and destroyed quite quickly, on the other hand.

The Void started to get annoying, mainly due to the random encounters. Had trouble running most of the time (probably should have slapped on the Chicken Knife, in retrospect), and got a bunch of unlucky back-attacks.

Most of the bosses weren't that bad; Apocalypse/Azulmagia was hilarious, Lv.3 Flare'd him to death, as he tried in vain to do the same back to me over and over. (Sorry, bud, we're only at 32.) And Twin Tania dropped super quick with three characters spamming Holy and heals.

I died once against Necrophobia (just like in my last run). This time I stupidly decided I should lead off by casting Holy on one of the Barriers. SMART!

Second time was a charm, though, and Gilgy stepped in to finish the job:

20140729_181745_small.jpg

Gilgamesh: Hey, Faris! You should be a little more womanly, fall in love or somethin'!
Faris: ...*RAGE*

Waitasec... let's look at that more closely:

hammerbutt.jpg

Yes, that is Berserker Faris, hurling Thor's Hammer directly into Gilgamesh's butt in response to his suggestion that she get back in the kitchen.

Thank you, AI, for brightening my day as I watched that. The fact that it happened as I was taking a picture... astounding.

Anyhow, finally made my way up to Exdeath, and died a horrible death at level 34. I had made another big mistake... I had caught the wrong creatures for the final battle. For some reason I thought that the Tot Aevis had Breath Wing as an ability, and I had caught three before entering the Void. Big OOPS, there! So I went back to the sky bridge, caught some dragons, leveled to 37 for the heck of it, and tried again.

This time went much better. The only hiccup was when AssButz decided to prematurely eject his dragon against Exdeath's poop form (thanks to a slip of my finger). Way to go, AssButz. Nonetheless, the team came out on top this time with no deaths, thanks to Mighty Guard and a lucky Grand Cross that didn't kill or zombify anybody. Hooray!

20140729_213959_small.jpg

FF5FJF2014_party2.jpg

Don't think I have any more runs in me this year. Had tons of fun, though. Here's to hoping the #FF5FJF2014 donations break $10k soon. Not much left to go!

I have: Black Mage/ Mystic Knight/ Geo/ Dragoon
Is Shinryu recommendable? or just skip?
He obliterated my team before I could do anything. And it seems Holy heals him.

Also,
where in the game does Dear Friends play in the game? (Original here)
I did have the gameplay silent half the time as I'm on iOS, but my goodness; the soundtrack is lovely!

Sandworm wasn't too bad, but it's annoying when he pops in a hole right before you attack. You have to remember to hold back.

Cray Cray Claw be so Cray. Besides his attack that puts you in the single digits, he was a chump.

Adamantoise was actually tricky since I've only got one person with Red Magic (Galuf) and Bartz doesn't know Blue Magic. This basically made Bartz useless besides items and checking HP. I gave Galuf a Frost Rod so his Blizzara's did over 400 damage. Still, Adamantoise hits twice and hits hard, so it took a few tries to get it right. Still only broken 1 rod so far.

Ruuppa

Team Squishy advances to World 3!

But first: Gilgamesh just can't catch a break.
Of8nla5.png

Two zombies, four Reflect Rings and a whole lot of retries. Getting the right RNG took some time. Also all of my healing items.
s1YeIpx.png

Gargoyles went for the double Transfusion! It's not very effective...
PHXYBqQ.png

With my black/mystic knight/geo/dragoon..

Any tips for defeating Neo Exdeath? Most of his attacks annihilate me before I could heal/revive. Almagest is the one the kicks my ass the worst, I'm sure you all know by now.

Boney

Banned

Any tips for defeating Neo Exdeath? Most of his attacks annihilate me before I could heal/revive. Almagest is the one the kicks my ass the worst, I'm sure you all know by now.
Break sword will kill the Almagest part in one hit. Remember you can also use the magic lamp to cast Odin and kill the spell casting part.

Try killing the other 2 parts around the same time as well or be prepared for more Almagest and Meteors.

(more detail here)
Basically, Neo Exdeath is split up into four parts, each with their own attacks, weaknesses, and AI scripts.
#1: The front part, devil-looking man with long horns. Uses physicals. Lowest HP.
#2: Red Dragon-esque thing behind 1. Casts Grand Cross, and Meteor when HP is low. Weak to anti-dragon weapons (e.g. Dragon Lance, Apollo's Harp).
#3: Smiling ram-horned beast thing on the lower-right. Casts Almagest. Weak to anti-beast weapons and Petrify (Break, !Spellblade Break).
#4: Red skeleton thing way in the back. Casts powerful spells. Weak to Doom, Iainuki, Magic Lamp Odin, etc.

So your best strategy would be to first !Spellblade Break #3, since it's the most dangerous. While doing that, use your Magic Lamp charges with the other characters to get to the Odin summon, who will kill #4. Now the last two can be tricky, if you kill one, the other will start to cast Almagest and Meteor. Use !Jump with the Dragon Lance* equipped on #2 (9999 every time), while casting Flare on #1, with the other characters contributing damage where needed (preferably on #2).

* Forgot to steal the Dragon Lance from Jura Aevis? You can try to steal it (with the Thief's Knife) from the Crystal Dragons in the Rift.

Ruuppa

I had to run through the Pyramid, since I had barely any way to kill the monsters from the treasure boxes.. Even Aspis' were tough! I might return to loot it later, once I get my healing supplies up.

Melusine was tough, but Spellblade saved the day.
YudGvOf.png

Current stats after getting the misc loot from around the world. Unsure where to head next. Maybe get some Coral Rings and go to the waterfalls? Abuse the Magic Lamp on the trio-boss of the lavaplace?
HcS5B0a.png

Fork Tower will have to be my goal eventually, since I need the damage output from Flareblade.

So I was peeking through a guide about FFV FJF, and apparently there were quite a few balance changes to the iOS version in terms of ability effects, formulas, etc. Has anyone whose tried that version had any thoughts about how it all turned out? It's cool that it has it's own identity aside from the fugly 2d assets.

Has anyone really looked under the hood with this version, or has it mostly just been observing different effects?

Chris R

Seal Guardians just destoyed me :( Spamming summons was a bad idea.

Guess it's time to try a single target attempt.

edit: looks like I need to man up... world 3 at level 17? I'm almost 30 in Moore Forrest lol

I got my "Earth" job. Beserker. So my full Random party is Blue Mage, Thief, Red Mage, and Beserker. I'm scared...save me Blue Mage.

I got my "Earth" job. Beserker. So my full Random party is Blue Mage, Thief, Red Mage, and Beserker. I'm scared...save me Blue Mage.

Eh, Berserker isn't too bad at that point. Just make sure you get a Death Sickle (Rare Drop) from the Harvesters outside Crescent. Its Instant Death effect can come in handy.

Ruuppa

Eh, Berserker isn't too bad at that point. Just make sure you get a Death Sickle (Rare Drop) from the Harvesters outside Crescent. Its Instant Death effect can come in handy.

Getting that effect that early turns a lot of bosses into chumps. The hit-rate is quite bad though, like with all axes.

Break sword will kill the Almagest part in one hit. Remember you can also use the magic lamp to cast Odin and kill the spell casting part.

Try killing the other 2 parts around the same time as well or be prepared for more Almagest and Meteors.

(more detail here)
Basically, Neo Exdeath is split up into four parts, each with their own attacks, weaknesses, and AI scripts.
#1: The front part, devil-looking man with long horns. Uses physicals. Lowest HP.
#2: Red Dragon-esque thing behind 1. Casts Grand Cross, and Meteor when HP is low. Weak to anti-dragon weapons (e.g. Dragon Lance, Apollo's Harp).
#3: Smiling ram-horned beast thing on the lower-right. Casts Almagest. Weak to anti-beast weapons and Petrify (Break, !Spellblade Break).
#4: Red skeleton thing way in the back. Casts powerful spells. Weak to Doom, Iainuki, Magic Lamp Odin, etc.

So your best strategy would be to first !Spellblade Break #3, since it's the most dangerous. While doing that, use your Magic Lamp charges with the other characters to get to the Odin summon, who will kill #4. Now the last two can be tricky, if you kill one, the other will start to cast Almagest and Meteor. Use !Jump with the Dragon Lance* equipped on #2 (9999 every time), while casting Flare on #1, with the other characters contributing damage where needed (preferably on #2).

* Forgot to steal the Dragon Lance from Jura Aevis? You can try to steal it (with the Thief's Knife) from the Crystal Dragons in the Rift.

Thanks for the help! I'm close, but got killed as soon as I got down to one left. I'm thinking maybe have a second character equip !Jump so one can -hopefully- survive.

In bold, I may have to go back and do this before fighting Exdeath.

EDIT:
So I was peeking through a guide about FFV FJF, and apparently there were quite a few balance changes to the iOS version in terms of ability effects, formulas, etc. Has anyone whose tried that version had any thoughts about how it all turned out? It's cool that it has it's own identity aside from the fugly 2d assets.

Has anyone really looked under the hood with this version, or has it mostly just been observing different effects?
I've only noticed they removed the NPC in Phantom Village that gives you Mirage Vest. This is my first time playing FFV (and on iOS) and that's the only thing I noticed only bc I looked up how to obtain the vest.
I actually kind of like the 2D assets. The only issue I had (except Faris, lol) is that some of them have chests poping out so far forward or their legs are too far back.

Ourobolus

Banned
Yes, I'm able to talk to NPC's in this town. Is there maybe a prerequisite before beginning the "Mirage Vest" quest?

Huh. Weird. He's not there for me any more (I walked out of the Rift), but I definitely got the Mirage Vest from him. Maybe you already did it? That's the only reason I can think that he's gone.

I dunno.

In bold, I may have to go back and do this before fighting Exdeath.

Yeah, it might take a long time to get (as with any rare drop or steal. At least Crystal Dragon's common steal is an Elixir.), but it goes a long way to make Dragoon useful in the final stages of the game. Not only does it help with Neo Exdeath's red dragon part, but it's pretty much a necessity when fighting Shinryu.

Though if you're getting caught out with one part left, then like Boney said, it's mostly the timing that counts, so you kill the last two parts at around the same time. What makes things a little tricky is that the Red Dragon part has much more health than the front part.

Huh. Weird. He's not there for me any more (I walked out of the Rift), but I definitely got the Mirage Vest from him. Maybe you already did it? That's the only reason I can think that he's gone.

I dunno.
It's definitely wierd. Maybe if you go into the Rift, then back out, he disappears? Or maybe just a bug? Idk either lol.

Yeah, it might take a long time to get (as with any rare drop or steal. At least Crystal Dragon's common steal is an Elixir.), but it goes a long way to make Dragoon useful in the final stages of the game. Not only does it help with Neo Exdeath's red dragon part, but it's pretty much a necessity when fighting Shinryu.

Though if you're getting caught out with one part left, then like Boney said, it's mostly the timing that counts, so you kill the last two parts at around the same time. What makes things a little tricky is that the Red Dragon part has much more health than the front part.
Before resorting to Dragon Lance, I thought I'd give Exdeath many more tries. Finally, I manage to beat NeoExdeath!!

He went crazy once there was one left. Luckily, Bartz was in the middle of using !Jump and defeated the last part.

Thanks to all that helped!!

Ourobolus

Banned
He went crazy once there was one left. Luckily, Bartz was in the middle of using !Jump and defeated the last part.

Thanks to all that helped!!

Yeah, the best way is to try to take out the last two parts at the same time or as close together as possible because whatever is left will go absolutely nuts.

Congrats!

Another thing about the Archeoaevis fight that I never mentioned is thank god for that Level 5 Death weakness.

Purubolos x6 was easy with my mages in the group. They spammed Blizzara and Aqua Breath on all of them, and they all died at once.

Titan was easy enough that I don't remember the fight. The only minor scary moment was the Earth Shaker on death, but one of my party members survived so it was all good.

Manticore on the other hand was pretty tough. We had to be very aggressive with our power to take him out thanks to his powerful spells like Blaze and Frost.

After that, the party made it to Galuf's World, got knocked out (Red Mage Bartz lost to the Abductor incidentally) and got their butts saved by Galuf.

The Big Bridge segment went without incident. I did indeed remember the Death Sickle for my Beserker (Bartz at the moment) so many insta-death lols were had. Although at this stage I think the Beserkers massive power would be enough even without instant death.

Currently the team is about to save the moogle. I think I'm going to have Galuf change jobs once he learns Red Level 3, because Dual Casting seems pretty low priority if you only have Red Magic.

Ourobolus

Banned
Screw it. I'm grinding in the Rift for my FF1 team. They just can't take a hit well enough. The first form of ExDeath gets casting Meteor too quickly that by the time I beat him only one of my guys is still standing and then gets wiped quickly by Neo.

Grrr...

So. Today I learned that Death-ing the Dragon Pod with the Death Sickle is a thing. I suppose that's one way to handle this status ailment slinging guy, especially since he's more resistant to magic than I hoped.

Tyrannosaurus was also pretty easy once I shoved a phoenix feather down his throat.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's how I beat Dragon Pod, but it actually ended up taking a couple tries because my Deathzerker was not working and I'd get crushed by status ailments.

Once it finally worked I beat it on the first round of attacks.

Tybolt

Banned
What's the general consensus on frameskipping? I've beaten every version of this already, I don't think I have the patience to trudge through without it.

I beat Gilgamesh again on the boat with Enkidu. I made sure to steal the Genji Gloves with my Thief so my Berserker would have something nice to wear with his fur. This battle was actually a bit annoying because Enkidu knew Vampire which would both heal his hp and do ridiculous damage when his HP was low. This was even worse if he followed it up with White Wind, negating any damage I did to Gilgamesh beyond the first one he does on appearance. Missle and Deathclaw added to the terror. On the other hand, Gilgamesh did mostly physical attacks, so once everyone got Protected, he wasn't a huge threat. It took a couple tries, but they're out of the way.

I'm currently climbing the Barrier Tower. I need to make a nice strategy for killing a Red Dragon for the Gold Hairpin.

Ourobolus

Banned
I beat Gilgamesh again on the boat with Enkidu. I made sure to steal the Genji Gloves with my Thief so my Berserker would have something nice to wear with his fur. This battle was actually a bit annoying because Enkidu knew Vampire which would both heal his hp and do ridiculous damage when his HP was low. This was even worse if he followed it up with White Wind, negating any damage I did to Gilgamesh beyond the first one he does on appearance. Missle and Deathclaw added to the terror. On the other hand, Gilgamesh did mostly physical attacks, so once everyone got Protected, he wasn't a huge threat. It took a couple tries, but they're out of the way.

I'm currently climbing the Barrier Tower. I need to make a nice strategy for killing a Red Dragon for the Gold Hairpin.
Steal Flame Ring + Run Away x4

Then fight again. :)

antibolo

Banned
After a two week break I am now at the final boss, with my Thief/Time/Ranger/Samurai party.

Almagest is kicking my ass (everyone but my Samurai dies). I guess I should focus on killing the piece that casts that spell first, but I have no really powerful single target damage dealer...

EDIT: I tried bruteforcing my way through by equipping everyone Zeninage, which does 3000 damage to all parts, but it's still not good enough. I'm pretty stumped now.

EDIT 2: Does Almagest ignore magic defense? I'm suspecting it does.

Kaelin

Neo Member
I don't recall, but I think it does follow magic defense... but with the way magic defense works, it's only shaving off a little bit of a whole lot of damage.

After some time away, I've taken up another FF1 run and ended up with White + White + Black + Red. Black's got a huge load to carry, but I should be in the clear as long as I can get by without much physical damage (which Red can give in a pinch).

Ruuppa

Update time!

Wind temple wasn't too shabby. Got 3 Mirage Vests, and found out that Geomancers can't use them. Dancing Dagger and Chicken Knife !Focus won the boss through lottery.
HG83sGw.png

Fork Tower was tedious. Minotaur was pretty easy with !Focus and Chicken Knife.
QGDMSA8.png

Omniscient was horrible though. First I went in there with Lenna alone, thinking I'd exhaust his MP. Left it running for a few hours. Was still casting when I got back. Nope!
Switching Krile's Mystic Knight in there worked, with Spellblade Osmose hitting his MP away every time he got reflected to Silence/Stop. Also I noticed I don't have Spellblade Mute, which was great. Didn't get a pic of winning him, it was so boring. I was doing 300 damage to his 175 Regen every turn.. Urgh.
IPpQHhw.png

Trench: Flee, Flee, Flee, Flee, Magic Lamp x3.
W7ntIoH.png

EDIT 2: Does Almagest ignore magic defense? I'm suspecting it does.

It does so much damage that stacking magic defense won't help you much. Shell does help, but you still have to have enough HP to tank it out. If you have a way to inflict Petrify, you can oneshot the part that casts Almagest. You *can* get lucky with Magic Lamp and get Catoblepas to stone it, I've had that happen to me once, but I wouldn't bank on it unless you're desperate.

My party has made it to the castle portion of the rift. I'm surprised by how the Monks seem to still be pulling their weight even if the hermes sandles one is weak and the kaiser knuckles one is so so slow.

White Mage is a big help too. Even if its MP is a little low for my liking (why doesn't gold hairpin work outside of battle?) I took out Catasrophe with no cheese (a worry this was going to be a wall) as I could just out heal Earth Shaker.

antibolo

Banned
It does so much damage that stacking magic defense won't help you much. Shell does help, but you still have to have enough HP to tank it out. If you have a way to inflict Petrify, you can oneshot the part that casts Almagest. You *can* get lucky with Magic Lamp and get Catoblepas to stone it, I've had that happen to me once, but I wouldn't bank on it unless you're desperate.

That's the thing though, I don't have Shell nor Petrify, so I can't resist Almagest and I can't instakill it either. My best strategy so far is to kill the back section with the Magic Lamp's Zanketsuken, and then Zeninage the shit out of everything else (my only attack that deals more damage than Zeninage on a single target is a critical hit from the ranger).

Top Bottom