• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Hey dudes. What are the chances of Final Fantasy IX being released on Steam?
Unlikely any time soon. Unlike 7 & 8, there was no native pc release to pull from. I could see it possibly happening if it saw a mobile release, but that would mean square would need to throw money at porting the game; which they haven't with any of the other ports except The After Years, I guess.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Finally finished FFX yesterday!
I played it on the PS2 when it came out, but got stuck before the Sin battle where I couldn't grind more levels and didn't have any other recent saves.

While the game is still one of my least favorite FFs (above II and XIII, but below everything else), I'm glad that I was able to clear it.

This leaves me with X-2 (which I just started), XII and XIII LR to beat to be done with all mainline single player Final Fantasy games.

Since I grabbed XI on sale, I'll probably try to go through all the story, since it's supposed to be less time consuming and frustrating than in the past.

Kjellson

According to Wikipedia, FF7 on PS4 releases in Q4 2015. Since it's already November, shouldn't we get a date soon?

Since Cloud got announced for Smash I want to try to play a FF properly. I did play a bit of FF7 a long time ago, but don't remember anything. Should I give that another shot (it's kind of dated) or is it more recommended to start with the FFX remaster on PS4?

Rean

According to Wikipedia, FF7 on PS4 releases in Q4 2015. Since it's already November, shouldn't we get a date soon?

Since Cloud got announced for Smash I want to try to play a FF properly. I did play a bit of FF7 a long time ago, but don't remember anything. Should I give that another shot (it's kind of dated) or is it more recommended to start with the FFX remaster on PS4?
Even though 7 is kinda dated I'd say its a nice place to start. Its not difficult and you don't even have to grind to beat it. I didn't at least.

MistBreeze

my history with the series is complicated<<<<<<

I watched my uncle plays ff 7 back when I was 9 years old,,,,,, I loved it,,,,, but because I was little and jrpgs were hard to me and English is not my native language ( Im Saudi Arabian ) and I still early in learning English in school,,,, I could not play,,,, only watch people play it,,,,,

I got into jrpgs with ff 9 I tried to finish but I could not Until I got to high school and my English level became okay then I replayed 9 and finished it,,,, I played ff 10,,, skipped 10-2 then played ff 12 then the 13 trilogy,,,,

to me ff 9 is my favorite then ff 7 then ff 10 then ff 12

13 trilogy were okay in there own rights but they are so different to me to call them final fantasy games,,,

xxczx

so i have the vita FFX collection. how worth is the ps4 one to me?

i'm at end game for FFX right now. yet to begin X-2
FFX-2 is a little weird on Vita, not unplayable, a little FPS drops here and there, etc.

But the game is 100% fun and hilarious so it doesn't matter :D

flyover

I'd love to believe that they'll announce its immediate (or imminent) availability at the PlayStation Experience. But maybe the reason we've heard no news is because there's no news to tell.

Kjellson

I'd love to believe that they'll announce its immediate (or imminent) availability at the PlayStation Experience. But maybe the reason we've heard no news is because there's no news to tell.
Maybe it got canned or something since the remake got announced. I hope not, since I don't believe we'll get a release date for the remake any time soon and I don't want to wait that long to play FFVII.

Nohar

So... Square-Enix has been releasing videos for the upcoming Dissidia title. So far, we have FFI to FFVIII. So, sure, the game looks rather pretty and characters have been rebalanced, but there is one thing which really annoys me: the music.

While some remixes are "decent" (such as the FFIV Final Boss Theme), others are barely recognizable, to the point of being downright butchered (listen to this version of "The Extreme" - FFVIII... I didn't even recognize the song at first).

Maybe some songs will grow on us after a while, but I'm rather shocked to hear Nobuo's music mistreated like that.

Xux

So... Square-Enix has been releasing videos for the upcoming Dissidia title. So far, we have FFI to FFVIII. So, sure, the game looks rather pretty and characters have been rebalanced, but there is one thing which really annoys me: the music.

While some remixes are "decent" (such as the FFIV Final Boss Theme), others are barely recognizable, to the point of being downright butchered (listen to this version of "The Extreme" - FFVIII... I didn't even recognize the song at first).

Maybe some songs will grow on us after a while, but I'm rather shocked to hear Nobuo's music mistreated like that.
That remix of The Extreme is barely different from the original. The sound fonts are different and it's more normalized but it's pretty much a carbon copy.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So I was playing FFX a couple months back, and I feel like I lost interest. I'm around the Calm Lands or whatever that big open field is. Does the game get better from here? Is it worth bothering with capturing all the monsters for that dude? How much of the game is left?

So I was playing FFX a couple months back, and I feel like I lost interest. I'm around the Calm Lands or whatever that big open field is. Does the game get better from here? Is it worth bothering with capturing all the monsters for that dude? How much of the game is left?

Capturing monsters is purely for sidequest reasons/obtaining items to plow through the Sphere Grid. You can drop it as soon as you're able, if you want.

Calm Lands is about...70% into the game, give or take. If you haven't liked the game up to that point, you're probably not going to like the rest of it.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeh, it's hardly a XIII situation where you get to Archylte and then holy shit the game opens up.

In contrast, right after Calm Lands you have another almost literal Straight Line Zone.

Wazzy

Banned
Oh crap I forgot about the countdown for Dissidia. I like the Extreme remix. Sure it's still quite similar but I like the beat on the remix.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Outside of the music I found the entire experience to be linear and dull. Whole game up to Calm Lands was pretty much point A to point B and no real overworld just a series of longwinded rooms. So in effect you got a bunch of corridors, a blob and more corridors gated by story content most of which I found rather weak. Others may disagree. Then again I'm not one for romanticism or sob stories.

The leveling system is pretty awful since it has you manually increasing your stats off of sphere drops either in a linear line manually or jumping around with the Expert grid to have the feel of diversity and the combat I feel is dated and felt like I was just playing minigames every time I fought something. Whether it was hit the buttons or hit the marker on this line. Options are very limiting. Definitely not like FF5 or Bravely Default.

And some of the more interesting things like Blue magic was gated behind a Limit Break system. That bothered me. Just like FF8's Quistis bothered me.

Summon system was neat I guess. However they break the flow as your party members flee and are no longer doing any damage.

Rant over.

I find little point in the monsters unless you want a certain thing for doing it all.

You have roughly 20%-30% of the game left.

PK Gaming

It's great how each of the protagonists have unique traits in the new Dissidia game

MeepleLardicle said:
Firion: Ground based, can continue combos even if he whiffs the opening hit.
Onion Knight: 3 different modes
Cecil: Dual-style, gets bonuses for swapping.
Bartz: Class Mastery, gets stronger the longer he fights basically
Terra: Passive Charging (see ROB's laser in Smash)
Cloud: Active Charging (Like most Smash Attacks in Smash)
Squall: Trigger mechanic + Draw/Junction mechanic
Lightning: Paradigm Shift
Y'shtola: Has actual healing + status effects

Hopefully they do the same to the Chaos side

Heropon

And some of the more interesting things like Blue magic was gated behind a Limit Break system. That bothered me. Just like FF8's Quistis bothered me.

Thanks to FF8's limit breaks being broken you could actually use Quistis blue magic every turn so it was a much better situation. I really liked abusing that game battle systems. <3

Golnei

Why are all the remixes in the new Dissidia so rock/metal based? I really like Rock and can get down with a bit of metal, but most of these remixes are... eh...

I'm finding it to be a fairly similar split to the PSP games in terms of style - and the arrangements as a whole are just as hit-and-miss. Even the remixes I did like from the originals - Chaos Shrine, Matoya's Cave, FF2, 3 and 4's normal battle theme, Don't Be Afraid, Pandemonium, etc. - weren't anything that special. FFXIV and that Wii Chocobo game generally outdid them as far as arrangements go.

And in regards to taking liberties with the music, I'd actually like it if they did more in the way of medleys and mashups, like the Smash Bros. arrangements; at least it'd be something a little different, considering how many times the individual pieces have been rearranged. Dark Messenger / Maybe I'm A Lion (ignore the actual synth quality here) and all the XIV primal themes would complement each other well enough, for example.

Squire

Banned
Daniella Lucas from Gamesradar wrote an article about revisiting Final Fantasy IX.

http://www.gamesradar.com/final-fan...&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_grfb

Great piece! There was another article on The Mary Sue over the summer where another writer discussed how she also disliked Garnet originally, but had since come to understand her.

I'm glad I played FFIX at the age I did. The realizations these people are having now were my first reactions to the game. It just completely blew me away and endeared itself to me.

Rediscovering games is great though. I love stories like this. I really think everything is worth revisiting, especially when a good bit of time has passed.

PK Gaming

Daniella Lucas from Gamesradar wrote an article about revisiting Final Fantasy IX.

http://www.gamesradar.com/final-fan...&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_grfb

God, I loved reading that

&#8220;Found Grandma&#8217;s savings of 9 gil.&#8221;

JrKovyl.png

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is it possible that FFVII will be released as one of the first trophy-supported emulated PSone classics for PS4? That can totally happen though since we already got the trophy supported, upper rezzed, PS2 Star Wars games for PS4.

Bright side - Maybe we can get FFVIII, FFIX, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Parasite Eve with trophy support and a cleaner look.

Negative side - We might have to buy all the games again.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Saw this while reading the Steam community thread

Might be nothing, but lets get our hopes up then be disappointed cause it's the mobile port

ULTROS!

Crossing fingers for the mobile port.

It's definitely going to be a remake with FFXIII like graphics.

Though I do wonder why they haven't released FFV and FFVI as a collection on PS4/Vita?

Twookie

oy guys, I'm not sure if you all have seen this, but some new FFXV tech demo vid was shown this week

this vid

It's captured from a cellphone so the quality isn't the best.

Again, apologies if this has been posted already, mobile gaf is hard.

Edit; yeah it was, silly me

Tizoc

Used a trainer to get inf. CP in FF13.
Prior to Fighting Bart there's barely any noticable change, but after defeating him and you unlock the extra roles and just up and get those....yeah you start taking out enemies faster than usual.

Really FF13 is a friggin' battle system with nothing else to show for itself outside fo the fancy graphics and good music.

Disagree the games have been been benchmarks for the jrpg genre for almost 20 yrs now...

Its a combo of story,music,game play and atmosphere.

Putting the arguably worst game in the series as a poster for it is just wrong.

I didn't say the games were bad, merely that the series usually puts its priorities on the gameplay (aka the battle system) first over others. People don't replay 1,2,3,5,8, or 13 (although arguably you could add 6 or 7 to that list) for the story.

...I like ff8 and ff5's story.
I don't have anything against that. Different strokes for different folks and what not.

Gilgamesh is the only great character in 5 and he's only in the game for less than 30 minutes of it. 8 spawned a great fan theory (Squall is dead) so I'd allow it.

kvk1

Bit of a weird question, I wasn't really "following" online gaming communities when 13-2 was released, and don't know how the game was previewed to the press/fans.

Did people take Serah being the main playable character over Lightning as a Raiden/Snake esque bait and switch?

Top Bottom