• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Squire

Banned
Bit of a weird question, I wasn't really "following" online gaming communities when 13-2 was released, and don't know how the game was previewed to the press/fans.

Did people take Serah being the main playable character over Lightning as a Raiden/Snake esque bait and switch?

No, I don't remember that being an issue at all. Because no one was really invested in that story and as far as anyone knew, FFXIII had a pretty clean cut ending.

kvk1

No, I don't remember that being an issue at all. Because no one was really invested in that story and as far as anyone knew, FFXIII had a pretty clean cut ending.

Cool, cool. I was just curious what with Lightning being on the cover and all.

Chris R

Grabbed FFX/X2 for PS4 on Black Friday. So now I own it for PS3 and PS4 lol.

That being said, FFX looks pretty decent in some parts, and terrible in others. New music is nice, no idea if the "expert" sphere grid will be the way to play or not, but I figured I might as well go with something new since I'm probably only going to play this through one more time.

Also, during the in game cut scenes it seems like the audio arrives a full second or two before the characters mouths move... Was it like this when the game released and I'm just noticing it now?

Xux

Y'all seen the new remake trailer right?
It looks pretty neat. The gameplay looks more KH than XV which is a very pleasant surprise after Duscae. I just hope you can play as the other characters (that the scene where you're seemingly under control of Barrett isn't just a one off special ability thing) unlike FFXV.

CorvoSol

Meanwhile, in FFXIV, I've been up to some shenanigans!

gDcc8pF.jpg
tv9kaiU.jpg

It turns out I'm terrible at designing my own character and/or the Warrior of Darkness just respects my impeccably generic tastes.

I defeated Midgardsormr in single combat! For those of you not in the know, Midgardsormr is the boss of the final dungeon pre-Heavensward. He's not the final boss of the "midseason" storyline between ARR and Heavensward, which is Vishap, but like, he's the boss of the last dungeon before it, so it's a pretty big deal. Especially that I did it as Paladin!

Suddenly acquiring a taste for soloing Level 50 dungeons as Paladin, I decided to challenge Snowcloak. I beat Fenrir and I gotta say, it was a hell of a lot easier than clearing Keeper of the Lake alone.

I haven't yet been able to clear Pharos Sirius alone as Paladin. I can do it 2 Man with hilarious ease, but alone is tough. I can reach Siren, but between her mandatory, unavoidable confuse stuns and the adds who grab my legs and result in an automatic failure because I cannot break them, she's possibly the most challenging-yet-possible boss to fight alone so far. I managed to get her to 10% before running out of time. When I have time I'll probably go back and show her who's boss.

Lastly, I defeated both Ifrit and Shiva (the former not pictured since I did it on Vita). Ifrit really isn't a challenge (okay Ifrit Extreme probably is), but Shiva was a rush. The need to understand what she does, how to respond to it, and then feeling all the little parts begin to click was great.

The confession I have for that is that I couldn't beat her till I'd hit 40% echo. I can probably do it in less, but I wiped a lot due to trial and error.

Still, FFXIV is a WHOLE lot of fun, possibly the most fun I've had playing a Final Fantasy in years.

Y'all seen the new remake trailer right?

Some segregated thoughts
1. Really glad that the game is utilizing different maps. Though I liked the pre-rendered backgrounds of the original game, I felt it really held back the dungeon design of the original game.
2. I'm really liking that they went with the action route for the game. If anything, to give the different characters different playstyles. I was rather annoyed how similar all the characters were in the original game. I am hoping the camera won't be as bad as it was in Type-0 and I really hope that the combat mechanics will be good unlike Dirge of Cerberus.
3.The frame-rate was looking kind of sketchy. Obviously its early in development and it could have just been the stream, but it was looking a little choppy. Hopefully SE can bring the game to a consistent 30 on PS4 or otherwise.
4.If given the choice, I really hope I can rename Barret to Blade. Though they specifically called out Cloud's name in the trailer, so that looks unlikely now. I really like his new look.

Overall, its okay.

RDreamer

Grabbed the FFX remaster on PS4 the other day and booted it up just to see how it ran... now I'm hooked to it again. Got past the operation Mi-hem (sp?) stuff today.

I've really been meaning to replay this one, since I haven't as much as the PS1 FFs. This is really making me want FFXII remaster like crazy though.

It's also making me realize where a lot of the FFXIII stuff people hate came from, lol. The maps on this are so bad. It seems weird that they wouldn't even try to make the paths wind a little bit. They're all straight lines so far. That said, I still adore the game (I also fucking love XIII, so sue me lol)

For shits and giggles:

Play Station (PSX) Releases

Final Fantasy 7: September 7, 1997
Final Fantasy Tactics: January 28, 1998
Final Fantasy 8: September 9, 1999
Final Fantasy Anthology: September 30, 1999
Final Fantasy 9: November 13, 2000
Final Fantasy Chronicles: June 29, 2001
Final Fantasy Origins: April 8, 2002

Steam Releases:

Final Fantasy 11: Ultimate Collection: April 19, 2013
Final Fantasy 7: July 4, 2013
Final Fantasy 8: December 5,2013
Final Fantasy 14: February 18, 2014 (steam version, non steam was April 14, 2014)
Final Fantasy 3: May 27, 2014
Final Fantasy 4: September 17, 2014
Final Fantasy 13: October 9, 2014
Final Fantasy 13-2: December 11, 2014
Final Fantasy 4: After Years: May 11,2015
Final Fantasy 14: Heavensward: Jun 23, 2015
Final Fantasy Type-0: August 18, 2015
Final Fantasy 5: September 24, 2015
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13: December 10, 2015
Final Fantasy 6: December 16, 2015
Final Fantasy 10: "soon"

I'll do a PS3 list later.

Timeaisis

For shits and giggles:

Play Station (PSX) Releases

Final Fantasy 7: September 7, 1997
Final Fantasy Tactics: January 28, 1998
Final Fantasy 8: September 9, 1999
Final Fantasy Anthology: September 30, 1999
Final Fantasy 9: November 13, 2000
Final Fantasy Chronicles: June 29, 2001
Final Fantasy Origins: April 8, 2002

Steam Releases:

Final Fantasy 11: Ultimate Collection: April 19, 2013
Final Fantasy 7: July 4, 2013
Final Fantasy 8: December 5,2013
Final Fantasy 14: February 18, 2014 (steam version, non steam was April 14, 2014)
Final Fantasy 3: May 27, 2014
Final Fantasy 4: September 17, 2014
Final Fantasy 13: October 9, 2014
Final Fantasy 13-2: December 11, 2014
Final Fantasy 4: After Years: May 11,2015
Final Fantasy 14: Heavensward: Jun 23, 2015
Final Fantasy Type-0: August 18, 2015
Final Fantasy 5: September 24, 2015
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13: December 10, 2015
Final Fantasy 6: December 16, 2015
Final Fantasy 10: "soon"

I'll do a PS3 list later.

Poor FFIX.

Kisaya

FINAL FANTASY X HD REMASTER

Is there any normal, casual strategy to defeating
Lord Braska's Final Aeon
? After the second phase especially. I don't think I'm underleveled at all, and I really want to avoid having to grind for any ultimate weapons or items for Rikku to mix. It's driving me and my boyfriend who is watching me crazy lmao :(

Ambitious

FF9 has been in my backlog for quite some time now, but next week, I'm finally gonna start playing it. I'm basically going in blind: I've seen pictures of the main characters and I know that it's set in a medieval world (as opposed to FF7/FF8), but that's virtually all I know about the game. Having heard a lot of good things about it, I'm really looking forward to playing it.

aravuus

Have fun! Even with its slow and a bit dull battle system and simple sub-systems compared to other FFs, there's just something about IX that clicks with me. It's probably my favorite in the series and one of my favorite games overall

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
FINAL FANTASY X HD REMASTER

Is there any normal, casual strategy to defeating
Lord Braska's Final Aeon
? After the second phase especially. I don't think I'm underleveled at all, and I really want to avoid having to grind for any ultimate weapons or items for Rikku to mix. It's driving me and my boyfriend who is watching me crazy lmao :(

Don't recall having much trouble with it. Just have either Yuna or Lulu Doublecast your choice of Holy/Flare/Ultima. Maybe get a Mental Break in there with Auron if it works on him. Wakka can attack the pagodas but not sure its necessary. Cast Protect and stuff.

Kisaya

Well I beat FFX today after grinding and raising my stats a bit. Started a little bit of X-2 and was turned off by the battle system. I'm not a fan of turned based games at all, but I would rather have that than ATB. Configuring it to Wait doesn't help much... I'll do my best to get used to it but it doesn't feel hopeful :(

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
FF9 has been in my backlog for quite some time now, but next week, I'm finally gonna start playing it. I'm basically going in blind: I've seen pictures of the main characters and I know that it's set in a medieval world (as opposed to FF7/FF8), but that's virtually all I know about the game. Having heard a lot of good things about it, I'm really looking forward to playing it.

You learn abilities through equipment. Its weird at first but you get used to it.

Difficulty is pretty standard. No hard parts other than the optional secret super boss who you will likely need a walkthrough to even find much less fight.

Golnei

I'm still really disappointed about Cloud's alts. The SOLDIER uniform would have lent itself so well to some proper, drastic palette swaps (affecting hair/eyes as well as the outfit) - Tifa, KH Terra, Neku and obviously Zack would have worked perfectly; and the AC outfit could have lent itself to an Auron palette; even a decent Lightning one.

I guess the current state of affairs was mandated by S-E, but it's still a shame.

HeelPower

CWUEPBqWsAErMOi.jpg

Really nice picture posted on official FFXV social media.

Interesting to know Ignis knew Noctis since childhood.That didn't come across at all in the demo.

Always felt Gladio knew him the most then Prompto then Ignis.

aravuus

Goddamn it, cheatengine's speedhack doesn't work with the FFVI android port that came out on Steam tonight. The game's painfully slow at times, all I want is to be able to play it at 1.5x-2x speed but nah, no emulator, no nothing seems to work. It's always either no fast forward at all, super choppy and shit fast forward or either normal speed or SUPER FAST FORWAAAARD which is always ten times the normal speed

Xiraiya

Goddammit, so I've been playing FFX International and the only "Straightened out" Sphere grid guide is for the original FFX.

So was there ever an updated version of the image showing Tidus with Extract speed and all that sort of stuff?

Rainy

Banned
Man I was playing through X-2 trying to do a 100% run and I realized I am .3-.4% off at the end of Chapter 1. A missed dialogue with Tobli and O'aka I think. Ugh...

Gau is like the secret best character. While FFVI is not difficult to begin with, Gau can almost break the game.

Yeah that's what I've heard, but I don't understand why the devs made a character with 250 different choices of monsters, not alphabetized, nor descriptive of what each monster does. I'm thinking about using a guide, but the couple I looked at use the PS1/SNES translation for monsters which is different than the Steam version.

Ultratech

Finally got around to starting XIII since I picked up XIII and XIII-2 for cheap a few months back.

My impressions so far (up to Chapter 7?):

-So. Many. Corridors. They may as well have called it Corridor Fantasy XIII. (I know it's supposed to get better later on, but damn.)
-Battle System isn't bad. Still trying to get the nuances down of what all you can do with Paradigms and the ATB. (Like how I sorta stumbled into learning about ATB recharge with Paradigm switching)
-Music is stuck in my head; they love repeating a lot of the same tracks, but it's catchy for whatever reason. Battle Theme is pretty good though.
-Game looks pretty good; love a lot of the scenery.

Rean

Just beat FFX for the first time day. I enjoyed the game overall even though initially i didn't like how the game was so linear (coming off of playing 7&6), and that ATB wasn't an option. The cast was good too even though, in battle, Kimari seemed pretty useless to me throughout the game. The summons in the game are really cool like X's version of Bahamut and Yojimbo as well.

Not sure if I'll continue straight into X-2 right now though. I did play the intro sequence and the battle/creature system seems kind of interesting, but I'll probably start playing 13 or 8 instead and come back to it later.

Ambitious

Have fun! Even with its slow and a bit dull battle system and simple sub-systems compared to other FFs, there's just something about IX that clicks with me. It's probably my favorite in the series and one of my favorite games overall

You learn abilities through equipment. Its weird at first but you get used to it.

Difficulty is pretty standard. No hard parts other than the optional secret super boss who you will likely need a walkthrough to even find much less fight.

Alright, so I finally started playing it. I was just able to visit the World Map for the first time after leaving the Evil Forest, so I'm not very far yet. But I'm liking it so far.

A few questions, just to make sure I got everything right:
- Equipping gear unlocks abilities. After fully leveling up an ability with AP, the character learns it permanently, so I can equip other gear.

- Some characters are unable to use/learn certain abilities. I assume that's because they don't fit their class/archetype/role, right? For instance, Garnet, who's a White Mage, is unable to learn Fire.

- Speaking of Garnet, for some reason she already has Summon Abilities, though I cannot use them as the MP cost is too high. So these abilities are meant to be unlocked by increasing Garnet's level instead of equipping some item?

- In FF8, leveling up your characters would also increase the level of all enemies. Is this still the case in FF9?

Falk

that puzzling face
I don't think so. I believe there are locations in the world map where the early game monsters are swapped out for harder variants, but those are binary swaps and not scaling the way FF8 does it.

Top Bottom