• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Joqu

Does FFVI on PC have enough mods to make it look at least decent?

Last time I checked you could at least remove the blur filter it uses, making it look like this

a9zm770.png

I don't know if anything else has been accomplished though

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Happy new years FF-gaf.

For anyone interested, twitch streamers Cereth and SevenS1ns are doing a FF 'Fiesta' wherein they play all the games in a race and don't run away from random encounters.

https://www.twitch.tv/cereth
https://www.twitch.tv/sevens1ns

They're on FF1 right now. The games and platforms are

PSP - I, II, III
SNES - IV, V, VI
PS1 - VII, VIII, IX
PS2 - X, XII
PS3 - XIII
PS4 - XV

No Tic Tacs or sequels this time.

Style

Banned
Happy new years FF-gaf.

For anyone interested, twitch streamers Cereth and SevenS1ns are doing a FF 'Fiesta' wherein they play all the games in a race and don't run away from random encounters.

https://www.twitch.tv/cereth
https://www.twitch.tv/sevens1ns

They're on FF1 right now. The games and platforms are

PSP - I, II, III
SNES - IV, V, VI
PS1 - VII, VIII, IX
PS2 - X, XII
PS3 - XIII
PS4 - XV

No Tic Tacs or sequels this time.

Neither has a monk in the party, smh.

Bladenic

Real talk, how did people figure out how to beat Vargas in FF6 back in the day? The game gives you 0 idea that you have to use Blitz, how to use Blitz, and what input you have to do. How did people get past this without a guide and before the internet?

Real talk, how did people figure out how to beat Vargas in FF6 back in the day? The game gives you 0 idea that you have to use Blitz, how to use Blitz, and what input you have to do. How did people get past this without a guide and before the internet?

Sabin eventually tells you how to do it.

Bladenic

It must take forever because I just did the fight in the iOS version and I spent a good amount of time healing with items and the doom counter was down to low 20s and there wasn't anything. I just looked up the input for it.

Maybe it's because I only attacked once? Not sure. Still I feel like tons of people would've gotten stuck here.

LIFE 2 ARISE

So I've had the Steam version of FF8 sitting there unplayed for months now, and I think I'm gonna start it up relatively soon since it's been a while since I've replayed it. I heard there's issues with music and possibly backgrounds, however. Is there any truth to those claims, and if so, are there any mods to fix them up?

Sub_Level

LIFE 2 ARISE

So I've had the Steam version of FF8 sitting there unplayed for months now, and I think I'm gonna start it up relatively soon since it's been a while since I've replayed it. I heard there's issues with music and possibly backgrounds, however. Is there any truth to those claims, and if so, are there any mods to fix them up?

Use Roses and Wine to change the music. Very ez to install.

I just finished FFX after three straight hours of battling the final boss (died several times). Big spoilers ahead, FFX-2 spoilers ahead too, possibly

I can't stop crying. God damn I thought having to grind right before the finale for 6 hours had killed all momentum the story had but as it turns out it was just lying dormant to wreck my shit.

I wish there wasn't that swimming scene at the very end though. They should have just left it at Tidus being a dream that no longer exists as the fayth have gone to rest.

I think I spoiled myself on how Tidus might get revived in FFX-2... Don't like the sound of that. FFX ended beautifully.

That said, I have a question: I rushed FFX's main story (I think I finished in some 43-45 hours, which seems little). Do a lot of sidequests and optional locations have extra cutscenes? If so, where can I watch them?

Sub_Level

That said, I have a question: I rushed FFX's main story (I think I finished in some 43-45 hours, which seems little). Do a lot of sidequests and optional locations have extra cutscenes? If so, where can I watch them?

Only the optional Aeon stuff is relevant to the story. Maybe just check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leXXucvsaRY

For extra context on these summons, also read this and this.

Falk

that puzzling face
I don't think there's a whole lot of DEEPEST LORE level of story threads in side content, although there's quite a bit of postgame/endgame content to burn through.

Did you get Yojimbo? That's one OTOH I can think of as having some form of backstory to it.

I should have been more specific, I only like the first 22 seconds of the soundtrack, ignoring the vocal part.

Similarly I like this part from Bloodborne Original Soundtrack, Moonlit Melody. From 1:16 to 2:10. Ignoring the vocal part.

You can see that they are similar. I like the part where the organ instruments are played. I was hoping someone would know more similar soundtracks from Final Fantasy series or other games series. Thanks for your suggestions, they are not quite what I wanted.

aravuus

Had to start a new FF VIII playthrough thanks to the IGN top 100 RPGs thread. Ironically, the actual list didn't contain the game.

Anyway, just wanted to mention that I love triple triad. Gathering a super strong deck is so immensely satisfying. I was gonna try and skip breaking the early game this time around, but then I just played TT around and suddenly kind of realized I had gotten a 100 tornados for Squall again and now his regular attacks deal 1200+ damage. Also Degeneration for Quistis, obviously.

As someone who's never played a single FF game before, which of the first six games are worth playing today that aren't too archaic feeling to be off-putting to a newcomer? Also, I know III and IV have DS remakes-are those worth it over the original versions?

Fou-Lu

I think I should play FFVI again, logically it is an amazing game, and watching Brandon Jones of Easy Allies play it has been a lot of fun, but I don't remember it as fondly as most other FF fans do. I still rank it 5th or 6th in the series, but felt something was missing at the time, but it is entirely possible I was burnt out having playing 1-5 in a row before it.

Might try out the Steam version if the mods make it look a bit more presentable.

As someone who's never played a single FF game before, which of the first six games are worth playing today that aren't too archaic feeling to be off-putting to a newcomer? Also, I know III and IV have DS remakes-are those worth it over the original versions?

Basically if you play the PSP remakes of 1, 2 and 4 then they aren't archaic at all and are quite a lot of fun. The DS versions of 3 and 4 are good too, though 3 might be my least favourite game in the series (keeping in mind that I still love every single game). Despite what I said above 6 is a great game and doesn't feel archaic at all and 5 has the best job system in the series so that's a lot of fun to play with.

Had to start a new FF VIII playthrough thanks to the IGN top 100 RPGs thread. Ironically, the actual list didn't contain the game.

Anyway, just wanted to mention that I love triple triad. Gathering a super strong deck is so immensely satisfying. I was gonna try and skip breaking the early game this time around, but then I just played TT around and suddenly kind of realized I had gotten a 100 tornados for Squall again and now his regular attacks deal 1200+ damage. Also Degeneration for Quistis, obviously.

75% of my time in FFVIII was spent in Triple Triad.

So I'm on the last mission of FF Tactics Advance. After playing it on and off for 4 years and 80 hours and multitude of missions I think I'm gonna miss Marche and crew.

I don't know why this game gets a lot of hate; I loved learning new job abilities via equipment, mix and marching skills, the variety of side missions, and so on. I dug this version of Ivalice, and found it visually charming and appealing. The story was good too, a type of fish out of water, coming of age, "A never Ending story" type. Sure if lacked the maturity of the the War of the Lions, but I grew to like Marche and Montblanc.

I've been putting off the last mission cus I don't want it to end.

How else does everyone else here feel?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hey guys, just want to share. I've decided that I wouldn't participate in GAF much anymore. I dunno but I'm having conflicts (I guess) with members here, several new ones I guess. Basically I'm not so happy with the community anymore because it can get a bit toxic. Thanks for the great memories guys! I guess the FF community is the only community where I feel most belonged to.

I guess the Sony E3 threads will be the only things I post since I've been posting those since 2010!

Hey guys, just want to share. I've decided that I wouldn't participate in GAF much anymore. I dunno but I'm having conflicts (I guess) with members here, several new ones I guess. Basically I'm not so happy with the community anymore because it can get a bit toxic. Thanks for the great memories guys! I guess the FF community is the only community where I feel most belonged to.

I guess the Sony E3 threads will be the only things I post since I've been posting those since 2010!
Yeah, I've been noticing it too. =|

Fou-Lu

Yeah, I've been noticing it too. =|

I have been noticing the same thing, but I wish you wouldn't leave ULTROS!, we need as many good members to stay around as possible. Every other forum I have tried is even worse.

Falk

that puzzling face
I shit on the game, not the person, good sir!

Fair point. I mean, ultimately having an opinion is one thing, but in a franchise with as much variety as FF it can easily add up to and/or reinforce the actual personal toxicity. The line is a really fine one.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's not the FF community why I'm backing down from this forum, it's the forum as a whole that's becoming toxic. If you want to know my reasons, feel free to PM me.

watershed

Banned
The FFXII looks fantastic. What are the chances it comes to the Switch? It seems like the perfect candidate to "test the waters" with an hd remaster port where pretty much all of the work has already been done and can most likely be run on the Switch without compromise. I think it would be a really great fit for the platform.

Golnei

No chance at all. But it does seem like a reasonable fit for the platform - the similarities to Xenoblade; which also did reasonably well on a portable platform, show that it'd likely benefit from the form factor, and graphically it probably wouldn't be too taxing.

I think it'd generally be for the best if you just stopped thinking about the Switch in relation to third-party games, though.

I think it'd generally be for the best if you just stopped thinking about the Switch in relation to third-party games, though.

I don't think that's necessarily true for Square Enix. They did release I am Setsuna and Dragon Quest Heroes, with Octopath Traveler on the way. I do think they'll put Final Fantasy games on the system, but I would guess it would be side games, like Theaterrhythm /Crystal Chronicles or something that would be easy to port, like Mobius or any of the other mobile versions of FF games. I do have extreme doubts we would see anything like FF15 or FF7 remake though, and I think it would be too much trouble to port niche products like FF10 or FF12 HD.

I have a question. I'm finally playing something this year. I booted up my Chronicles version of IV on my PS3, but I notice some weird stuff. Objects in the environment have this black shadow that constantly flashes around them. It's annoying. Is there something wrong with my disc or is it the PS3's emulation?

MilkBeard

I have a question. I'm finally playing something this year. I booted up my Chronicles version of IV on my PS3, but I notice some weird stuff. Objects in the environment have this black shadow that constantly flashes around them. It's annoying. Is there something wrong with my disc or is it the PS3's emulation?

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but when I was playing on PS2 with a PSX game, and I was using the graphical filter option (it's a smoothener) it would create graphical glitches with sprites.

So I'm playing VIII for the 4th time tonight and I was on the study panel and found info regarding magic. I know a lot of you probably already knew this, but I didn't check out most of the stuff on there. The magic in the game is artificially created. Sorceresses use actual magic and the para-magic that's used in VIII is weaker than conventional weapons which explains why people are using guns and swords and shit.

So I'm playing VIII for the 4th time tonight and I was on the study panel and found info regarding magic. I know a lot of you probably already knew this, but I didn't check out most of the stuff on there. The magic in the game is artificially created. Sorceresses use actual magic and the para-magic that's used in VIII is weaker than conventional weapons which explains why people are using guns and swords and shit.

FFVIII has great world-building, it's a shame most of it is hidden in optional dialogue and optional text.

Burbeting

Banned
Is there any list of Mainline FF-game OT's in gaf? I only found the import FF12 OT, but not the western release one, for example. The older the OT, the better (I want to read old GAF threads for some reason).

jett

D-Member
Today I've realized a weirdness in FF6.

6dCGPTE.png

"Sleeping Bag" takes up 12 characters, and fits just fine in the game.

Phoenix Down also would take up 12 characters.

So why the hell is it called Fenix Down?

aravuus

6dCGPTE.png

Maybe they had to save the space wherever they could to get a few more cackles in for Kefka

6dCGPTE.png

Maybe there are more space constraints in battles but Sleeping Bags can take up 12 characters because it can't be used in battles or something?

Top Bottom