• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi Comments on FFXV and Tabata's Future Project

Sakaguchi doesn't "have" to say shit, he teared into XII when that released.

Show me where he tore into XII. As I remember it he praised Ito (co director of XII) and said he should be the director of FF instead of Toriyama around the XIII release. I think you got your games mixed up.

Square should just hire Mistwalker to lead development of FF XVI. Get the Gooch to lead another FF.

Is it just me that thinks Type-0 is actually pretty good for a handheld? Just not great for a ps4 game lol. IDK it had potential.

Show me where he tore into XII. As I remember it he praised Ito (co director of XII) and said he should be the director of FF instead of Toriyama around the XIII release. I think you got your games mixed up.

Square should just hire Mistwalker to lead development of FF XVI. Get the Gooch to lead another FF.

The last FF Sakaguchi truly carried from the ground up was FFIV. After that it was the Kitase/Ito show (in various degrees) until FFXI.

Defuser

Man the hate for tabata.... the guy was thrown in halfway to fix this mess and he did what he can.

Did all hypocrites gave Hideaki Itsuno shit when he was thrown in late dev to salvage DMC2? If Itsuno can create the GOAT DMC3 I'm pretty sure tabata can make a very good game from ground up.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153012
Hironobu Sakaguchi said:
I just played the beginning. You really can't expect much from the game when Yasumi Matsuno, a crucial member of the team, leaves in the middle of development.

teiresias

If the next mainline game hasn't been in preproduction since at least 2015 using UE4 then SE needs to just pack up and go home because they have no idea how to produce anything anymore.

Scrawnton

I have a lot of respect for the man. He was handed broken pieces of a failed and cancelled project and was told to use those assets and piece together a game as cheap as possible in three years.

I greatly enjoyed the world and the story of the game, but it's clear there weren't enough pieces for him to tell it properly and Square wasn't willing to give him the extra time to make it complete.

It's one of my favorite final fantasy games and I've been playing them since FF3(6) on SNES.

The last FF Sakaguchi truly carried from the ground up was FFIV. After that it was the Kitase/Ito show (in various degrees) until FFXI.

Actually Sakaguchi still had a lot to do with FF until FFVII. FFVIII is the first FF where Kitase was alone (Sakaguchi was literally living in another country) which is why it's so different than the previous games.

And of course FFIX is totally Sakaguchi's brainchild.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

He also trashed FFXIII:

http://www.glixel.com/interviews/final-fantasy-creator-sakaguchi-on-remakes-xv-and-square-w452889

When I first left the company, I did feel that Squaresoft was taking the games in a direction that I didn’t want them to, specifically with Final Fantasy XIII. I wasn’t particularly happy with it. But after leaving the company, and with time, I have come to accept that I was the one who left, so they were free to do what they wanted with it. And recently I have been looking at Final Fantasy XV, and although I’ve never known or worked with Tabata-san, by looking at his production I feel that he has adopted the spirit that I had when I first created the series. I feel that, in the hands of talented people, the original feel of the series is being brought back.

FFXV is my first platinum trophy and the only Final Fantasy I've loved more than 6 + 7 so I'm genuinely keen for his next project.

To pull that game together from such a disjointed mess is something amazing. Square as a whole did the same thing with FFXIV too and seem to be capitalising on their current engine with FFVIIR which is great for the future but with KH3 it sounds like they're not out of the park yet with difficulties.

I just hope theres scope for FFXV-2 or the next numbered FF so soon while FFVIIR is going ahead. The next numbered game should be a fantasy one though!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yeah Sakaguchi hasn't been shy in the past about his opinions on the FF series. Then again maybe he started smoking some of that excellent Hawaiian bud in his surfing adventures and mellowed out a bit.

Koozek

Yeah I honestly can't exactly remember who he was insulting just that he did it on air and apologized afterwards. If was Kitase, him not thinking he is a good producer makes more sense. One of the members who are regularly in XV threads like Koozek might remember the exact details better.
Here:
I said he was drunk, didn't I? Also he didn't mean it in real malicious way or anything. It's just normal outburst from drunk person, probably nothing serious. He was praising Tabta's ability to produce the project well, and while at it said 'but Kitase can't produce lol' But it was live broadcasting and Tabata and the host was a bit shocked at the outburst so they cut to commercial. After CM Sakaguchi tried to backtrack by saying Kitase is more of game creator guy, not a person who produce the project, etc.

https://youtu.be/LtbixKc0rms

recorded the moment. it was quite hilarious. Before they cut to CM, Tabata says "I respect Kitase's producing ability"

Kremzeek

He really isn't to blame that much about XV's final result honestly.

Shouldn't wily Nomura get blamed for the Versus train wreck?

If anything Nomura should just design characters and then step away from production- especially writing "story".

zEAqeaf.jpg

Haganeren

With any Tabata game, you can expect:

-Time skips at extremely inappropriate moments
-Tons of obviously questionable design decisions that prove that there really aren't any higher-ups that oversee projects and say "hmmm... sounds like a bad idea. Are you trying to actively sabotage your game?" Like the DMW, for instance. A universally panned mechanic.
-An obvious lack of care when it comes to writing
-A very short main story that feels very segmented that is inflated by trying to waste your time at any given opportunity

Seriously, you can find all of these flaws in every single Tabata game.

I have played and bought all 4 games he's directed at full price.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm pretty sure I'm done giving him a chance. He has given me numerous opportunities to prove to me how incompetent he is.

I rarely play his game, but from the few i have seen, that was more or less my impression as well.

And of course FFIX is totally Sakaguchi's brainchild.

Naaa, pure marketing wank. IX started as a Gaiden and Gooch was balls deep into TSW even when Squaresoft decided it would be more financially viable as a mainline FF (not dissimilar to what Konami did with Silent Hill 4).
They pulled his ass off his surfboard long enough to hit all the media outlets and prop the game up as some kind of 'love letter to the older FF games/return of Amano characters (a lie)/etc.'
Very well played by Square, admittedly, as IX remaining a sub-game would have sold a lot worse than it already did.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I have met Tabata a couple of times at events. He is a very kind man in person.

I just don't like the games he is in charge of. Regardless of circumstances.

I do like people throwing shade at handheld titles in this thread though. lol

Despera

Banned
The final game wasn't great, but you gotta commend the man for what he's done to salvage the project within a reasonable timeframe.

Regardless, the last good offline FF will always be Lost Odyssey :3

Naaa, pure marketing wank. IX started as a Gaiden and Gooch was balls deep into TSW even when Squaresoft decided it would be more financially viable as a mainline FF (not dissimilar to what Konami did with Silent Hill 4).
They pulled his ass off his surfboard long enough to hit all the media outlets and prop the game up as some kind of 'love letter to the older FF games/return of Amano characters (a lie)/etc.'
Very well played by Square, admittedly, as IX remaining a sub-game would have sold a lot worse than it already did.

lol no.

FFIX starting off as a gaiden was just a lie Hashimoto told the press for damage control because some dude had leaked confidential concept art to Andrew Vestal before the official reveal of the game. IX was never meant to be a gaiden. One of the pieces of concept art even clearly had the words "FINAL FANTASY IX - CRYSTAL IS COMING BACK" written on a poster.

Some years ago Sakaguchi personally released his draft of the intro of FFIX. Also the game is rife with ideas that only Sakaguchi could have come up with, like Zidane's name being reused from a character from the first game Sakaguchi ever made, The Death Trap.

AzureFlame

I'm not a fan of tabata's Games, most of them were mediocre, i only liked Crisis Core, it's imo way better than XV, sure he did a good job by releasing a mess of a project and somehow managing to get 81% score on metacritic but that doesn't mean anything to me, alot of empty promises from him.

Why did SE chose a team that has almost 0 experience in consoles games and gave them the biggest AAA mainline FF title that already went through development hell and short time to finish it, this is really crazy and doesn't make any sense.

GunBR

Most of the complains that I saw about FF XV was because of the rushed story and we all know that only happened because he had to fix Nomura mess

FF XV looked like a evolution of Type-0 battle system and it's waaaay better in comparison, so the dude is improving. I would love to see what he's doing next

c1d

Unfortunately, Tabata and FF15 pale in comparison to the other, more successful turnaround of FF14 by Naoki Yoshida.

The comparison lies not between Nomura and Tabata, but between Tabata and Yoshida. When you have a direct comparison at the same publisher/developer, then it becomes obvious who has actual ability and who was overambitious.
I don't completely agree with this, but it's an interesting point

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153012 said:
-On FF12: "I just played the beginning. You really can't expect much from the game when Yasumi Matsuno, a crucial member of the team, leaves in the middle of development."

I'd sure like that Itou comment sourced, though. Sounds too good to be true.

Philippo

Shouldn't wily Nomura get blamed for the Versus train wreck?

If anything Nomura should just design characters and then step away from production- especially writing "story".

Everyone should be blamed for the VsXIII/XV mess, and at the same time everyone did what they could with what they were handed (both Nomura and Tabata). If you look closely at it, there were simply too many problems for the project to hit the highs they were aiming for:

During Nomura era:
-Nomura aimed very big for this game (and rightfully so, it was his shot at directing a FF)
-Nomura is also a perfectionist, which means his games requires extra time and dedication by default
-Crystal Tools was a mess, incapable of satisfy Versus needs
-FFXIII was late, needed extra staff & resources
-FFXIV debacle
-ARR greenlighted, needs extra & resources
-FFXIII gets greenlighted to cover up XIII and XIV costs quickly
-Versus gets pushed down the list, team gets resized
-Extra time needed to get an engine going
-With his game flying under the radar and no one forcing a deadline on him, Nomura gets lost in ideas, experiments and concepts for his game
-When the time comes to push Versus big, both the tech and the developement itself are lagging behind
-Next-gen is approaching, so SE higher ups want Versus as a cross-gen game as to start the transition to the newer consoles
-It is also decided the game will become a mainline FF, which means some of the more extreme ideas need to be cut off (according to rumors)
-Nomura is also needed to handle other projects vital to the company (KHIII and VII next), so he can't just direct XV

Tabata era:
-Tabata is ordered to deliver the game in the most complete state possible for the deadline, at whatever cost it takes, while keeping costs reasonable and also be profitable
-They spend a year circa doing preparations, deciding if they can make XV cross-gen, if it will run on both PS3 and PS4, and if the PS3 will still be relevant when the game launches; ultimately they move the project to next-gen only
-Since the tech for the game is lagging behind, they decide to port it to the (at the time) in-developement Luminous engine,which means starting from zero with pretty much all the assets
-But Luminous itself is not ready yet, so XV will act as a "guinea pig" for it, with things being tested and improved as the game progresses; this of course means much more troubles, time, money, effort and compromises
-Tabata gets handed lots of ideas, but time/budget/developement limits makes so that he has to choose the very basic elements of the game and keep it as coherent as possible
-To make sure the interest is high and everyone knows a new FF is coming, SE rolls out a plan for an expanded universe that will deal with elements not appearing in the main game
-Tabata also get instructed that the game needs to have mass appeal, so SE management pushed for elements that are trending (open-world, fetch quests and so on)
-Developement issues keep happening, so not the ideas that were chosen to be developed can be done
-To make sure the game is well received, Tabata is also asked to keep receiving fan feedback
-Meanwhile SE gets wind that the market is changing, that players now want to stick with their games longer and DLCs and patches are a thing; A plan to support XV after its release is decided, some parts of the game that may or may not have been part of the main game get moved to DLC
-In the end, Tabata gets to release a game where the 1st half is more polished, but still lacking in polish and content and with severly compromised ideas, and a 2nd half that is barely put together because simply there was no time left
-Still, the team has to keep working on the game by adding deleted elements that are still salvageables

Ultimately, i think everyone and no one are to blame for this mess.
Square Enix management wanted FFXV to be a great game worthy of making the series competitive again on the world stage, but at the same time were too afraid of taking a loss on sales and receptions so they played it safe; they also had to go hard with deadlines and limits because at some point you just have to.
Nomura, while surely being a perfectionist that takes a lot of time to deliver on games, got asked to make a great FF, and then stripped of all of his resources and ultimately kicked off the project.
Tabata, while being too keen on playing it safe, listening to fan feedback and also for having gone with choices about what to keep and what not that i strongly disagree with, got asked with the impossible mission to deliver a critically and commercially acclaimed game, inheriting only lots of concepts and an already a mess of a project, with a strict deadline in front of him and a fixed number of resources.

Laplasakos

Everyone should be blamed for the VsXIII/XV mess, and at the same time everyone did what they could with what they were handed (both Nomura and Tabata). If you look closely at it, there were simply too many problems for the project to hit the highs they were aiming for:

During Nomura era:
-Nomura aimed very big for this game (and rightfully so, it was his shot at directing a FF)
-Nomura is also a perfectionist, which means his games requires extra time and dedication by default
-FFXIV debacle
-With his game flying under the radar and no one forcing a deadline on him, Nomura gets lost in ideas, experiments and concepts for his game
-When the time comes to push Versus big, both the tech and the developement itself are lagging behind
-Next-gen is approaching, so SE higher ups want Versus as a cross-gen game as to start the transition to the newer consoles
-It is also decided the game will become a mainline FF, which means some of the more extreme ideas need to be cut off (according to rumors)
-Nomura is also needed to handle other projects vital to the company (KHIII and VII next), so he can't just direct XV

Tabata era:
-Tabata is ordered to deliver the game in the most complete state possible for the deadline, at whatever cost it takes, while keeping costs reasonable and also be profitable
-They spend a year circa doing preparations, deciding if they can make XV cross-gen, if it will run on both PS3 and PS4, and if the PS3 will still be relevant when the game launches; ultimately they move the project to next-gen only
-Since the tech for the game is lagging behind, they decide to port it to the (at the time) in-developement Luminous engine,which means starting from zero with pretty much all the assets
-But Luminous itself is not ready yet, so XV will act as a "guinea pig" for it, with things being tested and improved as the game progresses; this of course means much more troubles, time, money, effort and compromises
-Tabata gets handed lots of ideas, but time/budget/developement limits makes so that he has to choose the very basic elements of the game and keep it as coherent as possible
-To make sure the interest is high and everyone knows a new FF is coming, SE rolls out a plan for an expanded universe that will deal with elements not appearing in the main game
-Tabata also get instructed that the game needs to have mass appeal, so SE management pushed for elements that are trending (open-world, fetch quests and so on)
-Developement issues keep happening, so not the ideas that were chosen to be developed can be done
-To make sure the game is well received, Tabata is also asked to keep receiving fan feedback
-Meanwhile SE gets wind that the market is changing, that players now want to stick with their games longer and DLCs and patches are a thing; A plan to support XV after its release is decided, some parts of the game that may or may not have been part of the main game get moved to DLC
-In the end, Tabata gets to release a game where the 1st half is more polished, but still lacking in polish and content and with severly compromised ideas, and a 2nd half that is barely put together because simply there was no time left
-Still, the team has to keep working on the game by adding deleted elements that are still salvageables

Square Enix management wanted FFXV to be a great game worthy of making the series competitive again on the world stage, but at the same time were too afraid of taking a loss on sales and receptions so they played it safe; they also had to go hard with deadlines and limits because at some point you just have to.
Nomura, while surely being a perfectionist that takes a lot of time to deliver on games, got asked to make a great FF, and then stripped of all of his resources and ultimately kicked off the project.
Tabata, while being too keen on playing it safe, listening to fan feedback and also for having gone with choices about what to keep and what not that i strongly disagree with, got asked with the impossible mission to deliver a critically and commercially acclaimed game, inheriting only lots of concepts and an already a mess of a project, with a strict deadline in front of him and a fixed number of resources.

That's a nice summary and i don't think it's far from the truth.

Arkeband

Banned
One of the biggest differences between Tabata and Yoshi-P is Tabata overpromises and ends up looking foolish and unaware of his product, whereas Yoshida tends to underpromise and makes frustrating excuses to not do anything that isn't already well underway, which makes him look unfamiliar with programming and netcode, but often exceeds expectations when it comes time to deliver.

Of course, he also fucks up (Diadem) but FFXIV is a moving, evolving target. FFXV spent time sending their team members out to photograph food and rocks when their core combat system (replacing working, functional, tried-and-true turn based combat) was still broken. Noctis had actual abilities in Episode Duscae that were removed from the final product - does anyone even remember that? It's mindblowing!

Koozek

During Nomura era:
-FFXIV debacle

Tabata era:

On-point, breh.

LordKasual

Banned

During Nomura era:
-FFXIV debacle

Tabata era:

Thumbsup

It's obvious that XV is being used as a concept proving ground for more modern game features that Square has never had or bothered with before. They actually flat-out said this is the case.

All things considered, I feel like the company as a whole learned (and gained) alot from this experience, and the next title will ultimately be better for it. They have better tools and they've gained wisdom.

Is it just me that thinks Type-0 is actually pretty good for a handheld? Just not great for a ps4 game lol. IDK it had potential.

Couldn't get too far into Type-0 because the story was horrible, but the game itself was solid.

Third Birthday as well, I actually had a ton of fun with that game. The gameplay concept was solid.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Just... hire a new writer. These games are indecipherable for the past few entries.

Amen. This is one of the biggest aspects that completely killed interest in the series for me. Storylines just got more bloated and bloated to the point of being total garbage. I'd argue they started trying out more complex storylines in VII/VIII, which still (mostly) worked, then completely escalated by the time we got XIII. What a mess that was, storywise.

Philippo

One of the biggest differences between Tabata and Yoshi-P is Tabata overpromises and ends up looking foolish and unaware of his product, whereas Yoshida tends to underpromise and makes frustrating excuses to not do anything that isn't already well underway, which makes him look unfamiliar with programming and netcode, but often exceeds expectations when it comes time to deliver.

Of course, he also fucks up (Diadem) but FFXIV is a moving, evolving target. FFXV spent time sending their team members out to photograph food and rocks when their core combat system (replacing working, functional, tried-and-true turn based combat) was still broken. Noctis had actual abilities in Episode Duscae that were removed from the final product - does anyone even remember that? It's mindblowing!

I personally think Tabata would better suited in the role of producer, or even Brand Manager of the FF series. He's very good at reaching deadlines while keeping the efficieny up and the costs down, as well as creating a good enviroment to develop a videogame. He also has a good vision of what constitutes a great FF. Sadly, up until now he demonstrated he lacks a solid personal artistic vision, unlike YoshiP. So yeah, if this next project ends up sucking, he shouldn't be kicked out, just moved to a management role.

120v

even though FFXV came out in the tail end of 2016 the game was very much a relic of the late '00s SE, which was arrogant and piss poor managed all around

whatever tabata directs next may very well suck but probably not because of the issues that plagued FFXV

Top Bottom