• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (TGS Trailer)

CTLance

Regarding FFCC, I'm torn. On one hand I prefer the smaller Lilties, and even though the music for CB sounds awesome it may not reach the same level as it's predecessor. On the other hand, CB looks like a radical departure ... well, from pretty much everything. Music appears to be a wild mix of genres, the gameplay has switched over completely, the hero seems to be a jackass... it's different. Very different.

I do hope S-E will find it in them to release another "classic" FFCC, but I'm looking forward to CB just as much. I win either way, I think. :D

CTLance said:
Regarding FFCC, I'm torn. On one hand I prefer the smaller Lilties, and even though the music for CB sounds awesome it may not reach the same level as it's predecessor. On the other hand, CB looks like a radical departure ... well, from pretty much everything. Music appears to be a wild mix of genres, the gameplay has switched over completely, the hero seems to be a jackass... it's different. Very different.

I do hope S-E will find it in them to release another "classic" FFCC, but I'm looking forward to CB just as much. I win either way, I think. :D

You can get your "classic" FFCC fix on the DS

RpgN

batbeg said:
ffcc32.jpg

ffcc12.jpg

ffcc67.jpg

Environments are so lovely. Especially the first shot, so few games seem to really push for color or particular environmental diversity.

OH MY GOD!

Those aren't bullshots right?

RpgN

Tenbatsu said:
From the jaggies, I dont think so.

Yeah, technically not. But the art direction and how you will be able to walk around those environments with such imagination is OMG. I guess this is something that art directors and designers are lacking at and this game comes to show how it's done. I hope this is how you will see the game when you play it :O

Fimbulvetr said:
Jacket is similar to Layle's, just a different color.
And Size :lol

That one is 2XXL.

Noticed that too, though, wonder if there's something more to it than a coincidence on the stores they buy from.

lostinblue said:
And Size :lol

That one is 2XXL.

Noticed that too, though, wonder if there's something more to it than a coincidence on the stores they buy from.

Or maybe they used to work together, Layle's jacket definitely looks custom made.

Fimbulvetr said:
Or maybe they used to work together, Layle's jacket definitely looks custom made.
Yes, from the trailers Cid seems to know him (and trust him), perhaps he was his mentor?

Crystal Bearers aren't liked much, so perhaps he was an orphan or abandoned child before being taken in by Cid? just guessing.

Razien

Banned
lostinblue said:
Crystal Bearers manages to have detailed shadows on all characters/enemies though, even while on cities and stuff, while monster hunter 3 is stuck doing at most, OoT'ish shadows.

Monster Hunter 3 is clearly pushing it further though, and I'd say texturing in Crystal Bearers is good from an artistic standpoint, but it's not Monster Hunter 3/Metroid Prime 3 good; specially regarding resolution; which in itself shows that they could do way more with the hardware; also on the polycount side, the game is certainly not a polygon pusher, but it has a lot of attention to detail.

My point? The game looks stelar from an artistic standpoint, but I'd say they could do way better on the Wii if they had a budget comparable to a PS2 Final Fantasy; I'd love to see what this team could do with the budget of a FFXII, for instance. Because it's clear they didn't.

I think you are wrong.

I mean, MH3 and MP3C are both relegated to relatively small environments, with loading times between them, even if small. FFCCCB has HUGE areas, and it seems that even between areas the loading are seamless (like in a Zelda game). Considering that, while managing to make this areas with great polygon count (not pushing, but definitely not blocky), great textures (you can see that, even with the absurdly larger scales and better graphics than the original CC, it still manages to have better textures), and variety in areas, they still manage to put some nice effects and shadows all over the area. In my books, it is incredible, and only helps to make the incredible art to stand even more.

I don't believe that any of those games push the Wii. MP3C is a GC conversion (it was planned for the GC, so game design was made around the GC's limitation, and then upped to the Wii with better textures and effects), MH3 is the first venture on the series on the console (and first time Capcom makes a big project with proper budget on Wii), and FFCC ain't main Final Fantasy. Still, all of them look kickass, and that is what really matter. I hope all of those teams keep making success, so we can keep getting better and better games.

Heck, and this isn't a fanboish comment - I'm a HUGE Metroid Prime fan and put almost 100 hours into the first MH on the PS2. I can't believe how I'm excited for this game - to top it all, it kinda marks a new time for the Wii, with more incredible games than my pocket can pay one after the other (this, TvC, NMH2, MH3, and S&P2 in three months time!!!!!).

Razien said:
I mean, MH3 and MP3C are both relegated to relatively small environments, with loading times between them, even if small.
Hmm? I disagree, Metroid Prime 3 is not as closedup as previous prime's and has considerable draw distance at parts (it still has closed areas though) and more specifically, Monster Hunter 3 has awesome draw distance... I mean I imported Monster Hunter G and have experienced the game, it's HUUUGE. The loading screens it has are short too, not longer than Zelda's, if they had made a fade out (running out of the place) thing. The loading screens could have been totally avoidable and are just there by option. (RE4's are longer, and the NTSC GC version lacked a loading screen)

it's huge.
Razien said:
FFCCCB has HUGE areas, and it seems that even between areas the loading are seamless (like in a Zelda game). Considering that, while managing to make this areas with great polygon count (not pushing, but definitely not blocky), great textures (you can see that, even with the absurdly larger scales and better graphics than the original CC, it still manages to have better textures), and variety in areas, they still manage to put some nice effects and shadows all over the area. In my books, it is incredible, and only helps to make the incredible art to stand even more.
I won't argue with that, but even in most closed areas the texture work is not that awesome, compared to those game's, let alone the geometry.

I mean:

ffcc14.jpg

Again, I'm not saying the game looks bad, I'm saying this team with a bigger budget (or square-enix for that matter) could do so much better.
Razien said:
I don't believe that any of those games push the Wii. MP3C is a GC conversion (it was planned for the GC, so game design was made around the GC's limitation, and then upped to the Wii with better textures and effects), MH3 is the first venture on the series on the console (and first time Capcom makes a big project with proper budget on Wii), and FFCC ain't main Final Fantasy. Still, all of them look kickass, and that is what really matter. I hope all of those teams keep making success, so we can keep getting better and better games.
False, on the GC they only had a tech demo with samus and a spaceship.

Not to mention that's like saying Mario galaxy doesn't push (or use the Wii hardware) the Wii because it started out being done on GC devkits; that's simply not true, and a lot of stuff on Metroid Prime couldn't be achieved on the GC... all the texture work, for starters.

Not saying Metroid Prime 3 pushes the Wii to it's limits though, just pointing it out as a game with awesome texturing on the Wii. several steps ahead of this (as is Monster Hunter 3)

And I'm more excited for this game than I am for Monster Hunter 3.

Olaeh

Guess we'll have to wait for DQX to see what a SE game with a larger budget looks like on Wii. Still, FFCC:CB looks damn good. :)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Fimbulvetr said:
The sad thing is that Birth By Sleep probably has a bigger budget than this. D:

Whats sad about that ? KH is a bigger franchise and will probably also sell more copies - still TCB looks like mad fun, so why even care about the budget ?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
AceBandage said:
Moogle Air. The only way to travel.
Crying Moogle is apparently carrying him all by himself and the other Moogles don't give a shit. The fact that he was crying from before Layle latching on them makes the other two look like bullies. :lol

lostinblue said:
Hmm? I disagree, Metroid Prime 3 is not as closedup as previous prime's and has considerable draw distance at parts (it still has closed areas though) and more specifically, Monster Hunter 3 has awesome draw distance... I mean I imported Monster Hunter G and have experienced the game, it's HUUUGE. The loading screens it has are short too, not longer than Zelda's, if they had made a fade out (running out of the place) thing. The loading screens could have been totally avoidable and are just there by option. (RE4's are longer, and the NTSC GC version lacked a loading screen)

it's huge.I won't argue with that, but even in most closed areas the texture work is not that awesome, compared to those game's, let alone the geometry.

I mean:

ffcc14.jpg

Again, I'm not saying the game looks bad, I'm saying this team with a bigger budget (or square-enix for that matter) could do so much better.False, on the GC they only had a tech demo with samus and a spaceship.

Not to mention that's like saying Mario galaxy doesn't push (or use the Wii hardware) the Wii because it started out being done on GC devkits; that's simply not true, and a lot of stuff on Metroid Prime couldn't be achieved on the GC... all the texture work, for starters.

Not saying Metroid Prime 3 pushes the Wii to it's limits though, just pointing it out as a game with awesome texturing on the Wii. several steps ahead of this (as is Monster Hunter 3)

Just wait. Nintendo will do this in another few years. For now, let's enjoy the essence of Final Fantasy.....

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The ESRB rating reveals some stuff;

This is a fantasy-based action game in which players assume the role of Layle, a mercenary "crystal bearer" who uses his telekinetic powers (i.e., the ability to control gravity) to stop an evil villain from destroying the world. Players can explore fantasy worlds, battle numerous creatures, and engage in story-related mini-games (e.g., dodging lasers, flying airships, saving people). The central character can use his telekinetic powers to throw people off cliffs, into warp portals, onto train tracks, or into trash chutes. Guns and swords can also be used to defeat characters. One sequence involves intense machine gun fire against a dragon; cutscenes sometimes depict slapping, punching, and kicking. Consumers may wish to know that the expletives "damn" and "hell" are occasionally used by the central characters.

Some female characters wear revealing fantasy outfits and bikinis that expose deep cleavage. During one sequence at the beach, a woman accuses a man of peeping on her in an outhouse changing room (e.g., "How icky of you to watch girls changing!" and "You were peeping?!"). In one mini-game, two women in bikinis try to knock each other off a floating platform using only their hips. Players will also encounter multiple alcohol references during their adventure: wine casks, barrels, and bottles (e.g., "Rainbow Wine") can be found in some locations; a goblin samurai holding a sake-shaped bottle appears to be drunk; and players can visit a winery and uncork kegs and barrels, allowing the wine to pour onto the floor. If players wish to, they may pick up steaming manure and toss it at enemies or the bucolic surroundings.

CTLance said:

In my E3 interview with Toshiyuki Itahana he told me that he can see them making more CC games in both this style and the other style. He stressed this wasn't the 'death' of the old CC style.

ESRB said:
This is a fantasy-based action game in which players assume the role of Layle, a mercenary "crystal bearer" who uses his telekinetic powers (i.e., the ability to control gravity) to stop an evil villain from destroying the world. Players can explore fantasy worlds, battle numerous creatures, and engage in story-related mini-games (e.g., dodging lasers, flying airships, saving people). The central character can use his telekinetic powers to throw people off cliffs, into warp portals, onto train tracks, or into trash chutes. Guns and swords can also be used to defeat characters. One sequence involves intense machine gun fire against a dragon; cutscenes sometimes depict slapping, punching, and kicking. Consumers may wish to know that the expletives "damn" and "hell" are occasionally used by the central characters.

Some female characters wear revealing fantasy outfits and bikinis that expose deep cleavage. During one sequence at the beach, a woman accuses a man of peeping on her in an outhouse changing room (e.g., "How icky of you to watch girls changing!" and "You were peeping?!"). In one mini-game, two women in bikinis try to knock each other off a floating platform using only their hips. Players will also encounter multiple alcohol references during their adventure: wine casks, barrels, and bottles (e.g., "Rainbow Wine") can be found in some locations; a goblin samurai holding a sake-shaped bottle appears to be drunk; and players can visit a winery and uncork kegs and barrels, allowing the wine to pour onto the floor. If players wish to, they may pick up steaming manure and toss it at enemies or the bucolic surroundings.
:lol :lol :lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
EatChildren said:
The ESRB rating reveals some stuff;
-central character can use his telekinetic powers to throw people off cliffs, into warp portals, onto train tracks, or into trash chutes

-visit a winery and uncork kegs and barrels, allowing the wine to pour onto the floor

-pick up steaming manure and toss it at enemies or the bucolic surroundings

:lol :lol

These should go on the back of the box.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For some reason the part that says;

...and players can visit a winery and uncork kegs and barrels, allowing the wine to pour onto the floor.

Made me immediately think wandering into people's houses and breaking tons of pots in Zelda.

Arde5643

Man, this game is going to be so fun to play.

Any game where manure is an optional weapon is always fun+1 in my book. :lol

Razien

Banned
lostinblue said:

Come on, draw distances don't take up as much as processing power as actual ground. Metroid had already levels built when the Wii devs kits came in, unlike Galaxy. Of course, they did build them a bit bigger, as they knew the Wii was going to be better than the GC, but they didn't have some ground to work like the Galaxy team, which already knew how the Wii was, and only used the GC engine (which is already awesome - Sunshine is gorgeous). G has short loadings due to optimization (twice - from MH1 to G and then to Wii); Tri has bigger loadings (and much, much better visuals). Tri has a 1.5 sec loading, while TP has a 0.5/1 sec loading at worse; the animation before and after that makes it seem longer. MP3C is easily the one with longer loading times. I played G too, and, while big and with great backgrounds, it still isn't nearly as big as this, and looks much worse.

As I said, MP3C was built on a GC engine, and then textured according to the Wii. It was said on interviews. That's why it feels like all the extra power the Wii has went for textures on some extra effects. Both MH3 and FFCCCB don't feel like that; you can see that the GC would chug with those games, even with lower res textures.

The pic did show a smaller environment, but I'm sure the loaded area is giant. At least, I haven't seen a video with loading between two small areas within the same city, and this looks like inside a city, so it means a big area is loaded, and not just what the picture shows.

Texture definitely isn't as nearly as great as both games, with that I agree (and anyone with eyes), but I don't believe budget is the issue here, but design choices regarding loadings, variety, AI, NPCs, effects and all. I mean, look at the last video; and there is probably more area behind those hills (with no loading time). It is HUGE, with lots of different NPCs with behavior and interaction, awesome particle effects form the train, windmills rotating and multi-layered sky. That is an incredible achievement, if you consider that this is a reboot of a not so successful franchise in comparison with Metroid or Monster Hunter.

Still, this discussion will take us nowhere, as they are all incredible games with lots of effort put into them. I can't even measure my excitement, as it is through the roof. And it is great to see that there are many people excited for this game too, as it deserves to be successful.

Razien said:
As I said, MP3C was built on a GC engine, and then textured according to the Wii. It was said on interviews. That's why it feels like all the extra power the Wii has went for textures on some extra effects. Both MH3 and FFCCCB don't feel like that; you can see that the GC would chug with those games, even with lower res textures.

I have to see proof of this because I remember Retro saying they completely rewrote the engine for the Wii

Oh, and for those of you wondering if Keiss' awesomeness goes to waste:
TsAppb9.jpg

He, at least, helps you fight Bahamut. That's pretty badass.

The image itself is actually old, but still.

TunaLover

This game keep getting more awesome every time something new pop-ups, can't wait.
It seems that the ammount of interactivity will be unprecedent in FF.

0000240172.jpg

Top Bottom