• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Explorers (4 player action rpg, jobs, fight summons) announced for 3DS

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Watch the special secret class be a Lightning outfit for your character.

The ultimate class will be a l'cie and to get all the ultimate equipment you have to fight the fal'cie gods over and over.

#FF13InYourFace

Goli

Oh, nice. I fully expected a Final Fantasy CC branded MH clone, guess they just dropped the CC part. Wonder who's developing. Lord of Arcana team?

We don't know who's developing it but I bet it's h.a.n.d, SE worked with them a lot for their DS games and they've been quiet for a while now, their last game was TWEWY Solo Remix I think. Probably not the people behind Lord of Arcana's since their latest game is Drakengard 3 and now they're working on D4.

random25

Hopefully this and a Wii U version will come to the west
Who am I kidding

If this won't come in the West, expect an intervention from Nintendo like they did with BD.

Sadly, I'm not expecting a Wii U version. But I'll be glad if SE makes a FF spin-off for the Wii U.

DJIzana

I always like Monster Hunter style games. EXCEPT... Ragnarok Odyssey. The original Ragnarok Odyssey left a bad taste in my mouth. I really hope this lives up to the same type of quality that can be found in Monster Hunter and PSO2.

If there are more classes and it has at least as much customization than the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles DS games had I'll get it. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I hope you can change class freely though and aren't restricted to one-per-save.

batbeg

That one thread that asked what franchises people would like to see go MMO or hunting action I said a Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles styled game where you defeat traditional FF enemies in a monster hunter styled game would be the shit.

Which means for the first time in years Square Enix did something I asked for.

Azuardo

So I know posting scans at GAF is forbidden, but is it an actual illegal action?

I posted this news up at Cubed3 along with the scan, and got an email from Square Europe asking for the news to be pulled entirely, and then corrected back to say the news is okay, but to remove the scan, as its not an official asset.

But other sites still have the scan posted, and it came from someone on twitter. Can they really stop you posting scans online, even if it's on your personal twitter or website?

I don't know the full copyright laws relating to scans, but I was quite surprised to be asked to remove it from our site.

More info: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/11/final-fantasy-explorers-announced-nintendo-3ds/

Final Fantasy Explorers will let you select from multiple Jobs, each with their own role. Jump’s reveal shows the Black Mage, White Mage, Knight and Monk.

The Black Mage attacks using magic and specializes in long-range attacks. The White Mage, as always, is focused on recovery spells.

The Monk’s description should come as no surprise to anyone that has played Final Fantasy before either—he’s the representative for physical attacks. Jump says he “overwhelms the enemy with his surging dash”. Finally, the Knight serves as the party’s shield, by attracting the enemy’s attacks.

Jump says that many Jobs from the Final Fantasy series will be present in Final Fantasy Explorers. Parties can consist of up to four players, and you’ll need to use each Job effectively to take on the enemy. The goal of the campaign is to defeat the different generations of Summons.

According to Jump, Final Fantasy Explorers will have a large variety of weapons to choose from. The magazine also shows Ifrit as one of the Summons in the game.

Final Fantasy Explorers doesn’t have a release date yet. Square Enix is listed as the game’s developer.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I hope you can play this online and not just through Ad Hoc.

RM8

It's going to be so weird if they don't localize this considering they did localize Bravely Default. But then, they localized Bravely Default and nothing involving Dragon Quest :(

Surprised that this is coming. Looks much higher-budget than any FF/KH game I'd expect SE to put on a dedicated handheld at this point.

BasilZero

Not a fan of hunting games but this reminds me of FF Crystal Chronices and since I'm a huge fan.......I'll buy it if it comes to the west :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Surprised that this is coming. Looks much higher-budget than any FF/KH game I'd expect SE to put on a dedicated handheld at this point.

Square Enix doesn't do small budget anymore since they only want big sellers.

They have Dragon Quest at the top of the JRPG roost, then BD as an FF replacement where every game can be mainline, Dragon Quest Monsters to compete with Pokemon, and now this to compete with Monster Hunter.

The recurring theme is only targeting the big opportunities.

cafemomo

Nice.

The amount of "love" Square is giving to the 3DS is slowly growing. It ain't what they gave the DS but it will do

Pikma

Banned

They have Dragon Quest at the top of the JRPG roost, then BD as an FF replacement where every game can be mainline, Dragon Quest Monsters to compete with Pokemon, and now this to compete with Monster Hunter.

Oh so that's why Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics are dead

sörine

Banned
We don't know who's developing it but I bet it's h.a.n.d, SE worked with them a lot for their DS games and they've been quiet for a while now, their last game was TWEWY Solo Remix I think. Probably not the people behind Lord of Arcana's since their latest game is Drakengard 3 and now they're working on D4.
h.a.n.d. also worked on a couple games for Level 5 (Fantasy Life, Girls RPG) and Namco Bandai (Disney Magic Castle, Tamagotchi).

Claneko

Well Square....if you localize this then you have my money. That's a damned promise. I mean, it's right here in my wallet, see? You want this, right? Yeah, yeah you do...delicious money and all you gotta do is release this game here, ha, ha, ha!

Oh so that's why Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics are dead

No

Those are dead because the original creators left.

Kind of like how Capcom refuses to make a mega man game

Guess we all need to play Kickstarter games like MightyNO9 and Unsung Story

Fou-Lu

I hope it is more Crystal Chronicles than Monster Hunter, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Which is unfortunate, CC is one of my favorite games of all time, while I have had enough of MH clones.

duckroll

No

Those are dead because the original creators left.

Kind of like how Capcom refuses to make a mega man game

Guess we all need to play Kickstarter games like MightyNO9 and Unsung Story

That's not really true though. The majority of the FFTA team is still at Square Enix as far as I know, and they were the same team which continued Tactics Ogre at Quest after Matsuno left. After they joined S-E, they worked on the FFTA games, FFXII, and the TO remake. Given the opportunity, I'm sure they wouldn't mind continuing either series with or without the original creator. S-E simply isn't giving them the chance, so they've been put to work on stuff like Gyromancer and FFXIV instead.

Kandinsky

This has so much potential it's crazy they didnt do it before, I mean FFCC/MH type of game with a decent job system sounds great on paper, lets hope it ends up being as amazing as it sounds. TeamNIN/WHM/BLM/BRD rdy.

Hmm, I suppose (though I guess Theatrhythm would be the exception there). But I still wouldn't expect to see another full-on console-style KH/FF on a handheld again, a la CC/BBS/Type-0/KH3D. This and Bravely Default sequels are the closest we'll get.

Top Bottom