• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2012

gblues

Banned
I finished FF5 for the first time ever for the 2010 fiesta. I was too busy w/ school last year to participate, but this year I am going to tackle it with hard mode! Bring it on, Gilgabot! Muahaha!

bubnbob

Banned
In the game of love there are some sacrifices.

You are being followed by Gilgabot now, by the way. Well, if you are the guy with the bub and bob avatar. Try registering again.

I just got the email that the event is approved to show up on the Child's Play schedule. Exciting!

Yes that is me and I am registered now. And just checked in FF and looks much better. Might want to put a disclaimer or something telling IE users to piss off. lol

B.K.

I was really hoping there would be a way to sign up without using Twitter this year. I hate that piece of crap. I made an account last year and it took me about 30 minutes just to figure out how to send a message.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was really hoping there would be a way to sign up without using Twitter this year. I hate that piece of crap. I made an account last year and it took me about 30 minutes just to figure out how to send a message.
In the past few months, I've finally figured out how to read the thing!

But I don't have one because I think it might be too distracting for me if I actually start using it for stuff. When I was in undergrad, I was on Facebook a lot and it was the source of my procrastination. Now I barely use it.

RevenantKioku said:
I just got the email that the event is approved to show up on the Child's Play schedule. Exciting!
Can we donate if we're not participating/not doing anything with Twitter? (Well, I think you could, but I just want to make sure before I use ChipIn.)

zashga

Awesome, this was a lot of fun last year. Looking forward to another run! Sticking with normal mode because I can't bear the thought of 2+ berserkers, whatever the odds.

What's this?

GILGABOT said:
LOOKS LIKE PEOPLE FOUND ‪#BERSERKERRISK‬! MAYBE I SHOULD EXPLAIN IT EH? OK! FIRST, IT IS AN OPTION FOR HARD MODE PLAYERS. TWEET IT TO ME.

FOR EVERY $10 IN DONATIONS BEFORE THE FIESTA STARTS ONE PLAYER WITH ‪#BERSERKERRISK‬ WILL GET AN EXTRA BERSERKER IN THEIR PARTY! YAY!

Oh my.

While I don't think you could ever get me to go along with this, I wonder what first job would go well with some lucky person's team of three berserkers?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What's this?

Oh my.

While I don't think you could ever get me to go along with this, I wonder what first job would go well with some lucky person's team of three berserkers?

White Mage, Blue Mage, Black Mage, Knight. All have decent ways of healing a Berserker. Knight gives them a much better weapon. You think Blue Mages will be fucked up by having three berserkers (you'd be right) but since they require very little you can always stick learning on them!

Monk would be decent for HP +30% and Thief could steal them some stuff. It's not hopeless.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Can we donate if we're not participating/not doing anything with Twitter? (Well, I think you could, but I just want to make sure before I use ChipIn.)
You can, but you're missing an opportunity to participate in the event on a community level. Donations can be used for voting for my jobs, which I think is a fun way to participate.

I can't make anyone use twitter, of course. But it makes things easy to handle and respects privacy.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Thanks to everyone who is signing up.

And damn y'all trying to get me to replay my 2009 job set.

Sorry, but I want you screaming in agony on the floor with those jobs.

I won't be joining this year. I simply don't have the time with a new job and balancing the schedule of that and other shit. :(

White Mage, Blue Mage, Black Mage, Knight. All have decent ways of healing a Berserker. Knight gives them a much better weapon. You think Blue Mages will be fucked up by having three berserkers (you'd be right) but since they require very little you can always stick learning on them!

Monk would be decent for HP +30% and Thief could steal them some stuff. It's not hopeless.

You can get pond's chorus in Walse tower, so you'd probably be able to get most blue magics anyway. You wouldn't be able to grab White Wind in World 1 (unless there's some way to confuse enchanted fans that I don't know about), but with time, dedication, and possibly three dead fuzzy friends you could probably grab all of them.

Edit: Berserkers with barehanded would run roughshod over nearly everything in world one. They'd probably be better off with axes for most of the rest of the game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've had Berserkers with Monks a few times. Barehanded is always a good option even very late into the challenge, but by the endgame you probably want something like hit points, 2 handed, equip swords.

I ended up with a monk last year (Monk, Mystic Knight, Geomancer, Dancer), and while HP+30% was a wonderful ability for my dancer, monk was competing with geomancer for least valuable player from about the middle of the second world to when I got the kaiser knuckles.

Boney

Banned
my last year's party was pretty good with knight, summoner, beast tamer and dragoon, so it was pretty easy to beat

Wonder what I should name Bartz this time around. Previous choices have been animal themed, and I'd like to keep up the tradition.
mQTj2.jpg
je8Zs.png
b8qJH.png

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Snake!

I ended up with a monk last year (Monk, Mystic Knight, Geomancer, Dancer), and while HP+30% was a wonderful ability for my dancer, monk was competing with geomancer for least valuable player from about the middle of the second world to when I got the kaiser knuckles.

Geomancer is probably the better endgame class. Monk makes the beginning of the game easy and barehanded+geomancer makes them useful during periods they otherwise wouldn't be. It's a good combo.

Aselith

What's the difference between regular and hard again? I can't tell?

Is it that with regular you keep the same classes all the way but you basically reroll at every crystal with hard?

Edit: Fuck it, I did hard mode and Berserker risk.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
What's the difference between regular and hard again? I can't tell?

Is it that with regular you keep the same classes all the way but you basically reroll at every crystal with hard?

Edit: Fuck it, I did hard mode and Berserker risk.

In regular you get one job from each crystal set.
In hard you get one job from any currently available job as you unlock each crystal set.

Hard basically is riskier. There is greater chance for glory or doom. Maybe I should have called it risky mode. Oh well, changes for next year.

Aselith

In regular you get one job from each crystal set.
In hard you get one job from any currently available job as you unlock each crystal set.

Hard basically is riskier. There is greater chance for glory or doom. Maybe I should have called it risky mode. Oh well, changes for next year.

So the any available jobs part would be any crystals that you've made it to so far or the original jobs + the jobs at the crystal you are at?

Ainaurdur

I have been looking forward to this for months. So excited!
Went Hard Mode for kicks. Already loving my shades.

Hope I finish this year. ;P

And silly me. I pledged for RK's Run. Partially joking of course. Hope I did it correctly to be counted. Hehe...

ccbfan

White Mage x4 will be the hardest combo.

White Mage x3 plus whatever class as the fourth class will be the next hardest. (at least 4 fights where you will want to kill yourself before you get the fourth class).

3x berzerkers wont be that bad. All water class have good berserker synergy. Knight has two hand, monk has bare fist and hp, thief has fast speed, white can keep berserkers alive, black can just nuke the enemies themselves. The one really hard fight berserkers have you get two water crystals characters to fight.

And silly me. I pledged for RK's Run. Partially joking of course. Hope I did it correctly to be counted. Hehe...

0sI35.png

I'm not cruel enough to go thief/berserker/beastmaster/dragoon, but blue mage and summoner? Isn't that a bit much?

Edit: Yes, I am aware that RK put in $20 himself for Blue Mage/Summoner/Ninja/Chemist, which is NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

led4lyfe

So if you're stuck with Blue Mage, and 3 berserkers, is their any way to learn spells that you'd have to charm enemies for? I lucked out and had a Bard my last playthrough so getting spells like White Wind and Guardian was easy, but I can't imagine playing as a blue mage and not having their support spells.

Ainaurdur

0sI35.png

I'm not cruel enough to go thief/berserker/beastmaster/dragoon, but blue mage and summoner? Isn't that a bit much?

Edit: Yes, I am aware that RK put in $20 himself for Blue Mage/Summoner/Ninja/Chemist, which is NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

Not what I voted... hah. I am surprised at a couple of the jobs in first and second place right now. And I wonder how many people want RK to suffer vs having a decent time.
I admit I went slightly random on a couple of my selections.

Ri'Orius

For the record, previous years' threads:

Nice nostalgia looking back on them. I had actually forgotten what classes I used last year because they rocked so hard: Knight, Time Mage, Bard (possibly my favorite class these days) and Dragoon. But I certainly didn't forget 2010: Monk, Berserker, Elementalist, Dancer. Ugh.

I'm signed up on hard mode, which should be fun. Question, though: what's a good way to take screenshots? I remember looking into it last year and it seemed obnoxious. I've done some looking for Android options, but none of them have panned out. Perhaps I'll take another look at PSP CFW possibilities...

Not what I voted... hah. I am surprised at a couple of the jobs in first and second place right now. And I wonder how many people want RK to suffer vs having a decent time.
I admit I went slightly random on a couple of my selections.

I was in favor of giving him the lowest health job from each crystal (except wind, where I couldn't resist Thief), hoping Almagest is as fun as I remember it my first year. Now that I think about it, since Bard is one of those classes, it's unlikely to matter.

Ainaurdur

I was in favor of giving him the lowest health job from each crystal (except wind, where I couldn't resist Thief), hoping Almagest is as fun as I remember it my first year. Now that I think about it, since Bard is one of those classes, it's unlikely to matter.

Uh-oh. I see his scales have shifted since my last post. He currently sits at: Thf Red Nin Dnc

Some determined people out there. XD

RevenantKioku

Yeah, my quote unquote friend seems determined to get me to start with thief.

CAN'T A MAN GET BLUE MAGE ONCE IN HIS LIFE? COME ON!

Your vote has been counted an applied. On the one hand, thank you! On the other, thief AND Geomancer. Oh man.
ヽ( ̄д ̄;)ノ=3=3=3

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, my quote unquote friend seems determined to get me to start with thief.

CAN'T A MAN GET BLUE MAGE ONCE IN HIS LIFE? COME ON!

I feel your pain, you know I do.

Also why haven't people cottoned onto the fact that Dragoons not Dancers are the worst earth crystal job?

Ainaurdur

Your vote has been counted an applied. On the one hand, thank you! On the other, thief AND Geomancer. Oh man.
ヽ( ̄д ̄;)ノ=3=3=3

I tried to help you out.
At least a little bit. ;)
Guess I didn't pledge enough! But I suspect I may give more towards the end of the whole thing.

Also why haven't people cottoned onto the fact that Dragoons not Dancers are the worst earth crystal job?

I would say tradition/spoony bard syndrome. I love dragoons, but I can recognize that they are the worst pick for earth crystal jobs, no matter how much I wish for it not to be so.

The FF3 remake got it right, at least.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Really liked the Dancer in my party last year, probably because the good damage from Sword Dance + Chicken Knife was my only decent physical damage. Blue mage did okay, but not great.

RevenantKioku

Celes is better than everyone in FFV combined
Character and story wise, 6 does trump 5. The espers really aren't as fun as the job system, though.

We have a bit less than two weeks for the voting. I hope some people decide to make it interesting instead of just a landslide!

Also: eff me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I guess I should have voted Thief/Beserker/Geomancer/Dragoon instead. :p

That is, in fact, what I would consider the second worst possible starting lineup in the regular challenge.

None of the Wind Crystal jobs are bad, but since any bad Fiesta team is built upon how much the person is dicked over by Berserker thief is a decent choice. It can steal items for and help the speed of them. This is nothing compared to being able to heal them, back them up with magic, or give them a viable weapon or a ton more HP.

Berserkers got their own tier in my character analysis and while I love the goofy bastards they are the worst class in the game and in the challenge.

Geomancer is where you made your mistake. Fire Crystal like the wind crystal has no bad jobs per se but out of the bottom three (Bard, Geomancer, Beastmaster) I'd go with Beastmaster every single time. Equip Whips is sort of a joke, Berserkers can't use the "Pokémon Cannon" and they take a lot of effort to use. Geomancers have their ups and downs but actually level off to become a very decent class in the end game and are surprisingly good Ex-Death killers and Bards are actually the second best buffing class in the game and are a surprisingly good synergy with Berserkers!

Dragoons are the clear loser of the Earth Crystal. Chemists are broken, Samurai offer a slightly better weapon to a Berserker and are fun on their own and Dancers at least give berserkers ribbons and are incredibly decent if you are lucky. Dragoons play by their own rules. Unless you need to kill Shinryu for some reason they basically are just much worse Knights.

The only characters worse then Celes are in FF4, the definitive worst final fantasy game.

Not to derail the thread, but I'm glad someone agrees with me in this regard.

I just recently beat ff5 for the first time and don't have time to play again. I ended up with a rdm/nin - time mage/ black mage - whm/smn - sorc/knight as my final party. This was so well balanced. A bunch of the ended bare with their innate abilities but those are the general archetypes. Had a good run but yeah the game isn't easy. Good luck to all the riskzerkers

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Geomancer is where you made your mistake. Fire Crystal like the wind crystal has no bad jobs per se but out of the bottom three (Bard, Geomancer, Beastmaster) I'd go with Beastmaster every single time. Equip Whips is sort of a joke, Berserkers Beastmasters can't use the "Pokémon Cannon" and they take a lot of effort to use. Geomancers have their ups and downs but actually level off to become a very decent class in the end game and are surprisingly good Ex-Death killers and Bards are actually the second best buffing class in the game and are a surprisingly good synergy with Berserkers!

Dragoons are the clear loser of the Earth Crystal. Chemists are broken, Samurai offer a slightly better weapon to a Berserker and are fun on their own and Dancers at least give berserkers ribbons and are incredibly decent if you are lucky. Dragoons play by their own rules. Unless you need to kill Shinryu for some reason they basically are just much worse Knights.
My problem with both Dancer and Geomancer was how inconsistent they are. You're right though, with the right set up they can be helpful. Hopefully I don't get Dragoon or Beastmaster this year.
The only characters worse then Celes are in FF2, the definitive worst final fantasy game.
Fixed.

Top Bottom