• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2012

Susurrus

The GBA version is superior in every way.

Yes, sounds like it is time to sacrifice one of those old saves for the fiesta this year. Truly GBA is the better choice if you have the option.

Also: 307 Players! Glad to see it broke the 300 mark overnight. It was sitting at 299 for too long. Let's get out there and encourage more people to join us. I have one friend I keep reminding to sign up at least once a day. He has not broken yet. But he will...

Alright, I'll probably get rid of last year's save then. No biggy.

When does the fiesta end? I'm thinking of making a pledge, but not sure I can remember to check it. Perhaps if I set myself a reminder.
EDIT: OK, I read the OT and got Aug 31, 2012.

Also, I did #BERSERKERRISK

EDIT AGAIN:
OK, I made a pledge. I did it on a "per complete/hard complete" type thing. Not sure how to go about this now as far as up to what date and such. Never done it before and I don't want to accidentally fail on my pledge.

WilyRook

I signed up for regular mode and now feel like switching over to hard mode. If I retweet for hardmode would that work? I don't want to spam the feed.

I signed up for regular mode and now feel like switching over to hard mode. If I retweet for hardmode would that work? I don't want to spam the feed.

I think people have sent messages to Gilgabot indicating their desire to switch.

Alternately, you could probably just PM RK directly.

This is kinda OT, but it refers to FF V so I figure I'd post it here...Anyway I was browsing through Romhacking.net and came across a patch for FF V Advance that sounded pretty darn interesting. For starters it changes the order in which you receive jobs. ie: for the wind crystal I got Dancer, Dragoon, and a Time Mage along with the usual. And it also allows you to learn the four advanced jobs (cannoneer etc) at the Earth crystal. It also adds access to various spells and weapons in shops early on to make early acquisition these jobs viable.

Most interesting is that it allows you to fully customize your action pallet. So that means you can choose from three (or four?) abilities for your character, and even swap out the "item" and "fight" ability. Kinda reminds me of FF VIII in that you can select exactly what commands you want. There's a whole slew of other changes too. FF V has always frustrated me in that I can only really add one extra ability to my characters unless they are freelancer.

And yeah, this has no place in this challenge, but as an FF V fanatic it sounds like a dream come true.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/856/

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sounds like it would make it too easy.

The freelancer and mime can already customize most of their command skills.

Sounds like it would make it too easy.

The freelancer and mime can already customize most of their command skills.

Maybe, it says he changed some of the monster stats to make it harder so I dunno. Either way I have always wanted those four advance exclusive jobs earlier in the game. Now's my chance.

Ruuppa

Registered for it a few days ago, when Gilgabot sent out the call. Hard Mode with Berserker risk, bring it on.

Maybe, it says he changed some of the monster stats to make it harder so I dunno. Either way I have always wanted those four advance exclusive jobs earlier in the game. Now's my chance.

To be completely fair, the game balance on a normal playthrough doesn't hold up well anyway. I think this would be interesting to try.

Maybe I'll play though the game 3 times during its 20th anniversary...

RedCoyote

Signed up for hard mode and Berserker Risk, should be fun.

Somewhat related, I've been working on a patch for the GBA version to replace those ugly portraits with more accurate and cartoony ones. I should be able to finish before things get started so it'll be available for people to use if they like them. Here's half of 'em

new_7portraits.jpg

Mendoza

I just beat this game for the first time literally an hour ago at work.

... And I can't wait to start over again! Hopefully I get different classes than what I used in my first playthrough.

ccbfan

RK's shaping up for an easy run.

Thief
RM
Bard
Dancer

Thief and RM sucks but they have great synergy together. Thief steals/capture and gain massive gil, buys a ton of rods and RM break rods. Bard owns exdeath. Sword Dance + ribbon + sword dance item + chicken knife = LOL all bosses in the game.

Thief
Berserker
Beastmaster/Geo
Dragoon

would be a much tougher.

RK's shaping up for an easy run.

Thief
RM
Bard
Dancer

Thief and RM sucks but they have great synergy together. Thief steals/capture and gain massive gil, buys a ton of rods and RM break rods. Bard owns exdeath. Sword Dance + ribbon + sword dance item + chicken knife = LOL all bosses in the game.

Thief
Berserker
Beastmaster/Geo
Dragoon

would be a much tougher.

At this point I almost want to encourage giving him summoner so the rest of us can start sooner. Blue Mage is still off-limits.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Someone made a $20 and didn't vote. That's cool and all but if it was you and want it to count, contact me!

(And why is bard good for Exdeath?)

(And why is bard good for Exdeath?)

Interdimensional Rift, part 2:

Final Demon of the Rift: Exdeath
or: Why Bard isn't a dud pick in the Job Fiesta

Exdeath, tree form. Usually the shorter part, I spend a few minutes doing nothing but healing and waiting on Hero's Rime. Eventually I decide I've had enough and finish him off.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_255.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_269.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_270.png

Neo Exdeath. For once, he's not lying.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_277.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_281.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_282.png

The relentless onslaught continues. He gets to use exactly zero special abilities. No Almagest, no Grand Cross, no Vacuum Wave, no Delta Attack, no Meteor.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_283.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_284.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_286.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_288.png

FinalFantasyVAdvance_290.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_291.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_294.png

Sadly, with Thief, Red Mage, and Dancer, you won't see these numbers. The dancer will hit 9999 like normal, but I highly doubt a red mage or thief will be able to attack for several thousand.

Ainaurdur

Can't wait to find out what the next secret is... whether it directly effects the players or if it is a tidbit on the side.

Yeah basically if you have the hero's song, which slowly increases your party's levels in battle, you can just stall at the first exdeath, pump up your characters to ridic levels and then destroy him.

Wouldn't that strategy work for any boss minus Atomos?

led4lyfe

Sadly, with Thief, Red Mage, and Dancer, you won't see these numbers. The dancer will hit 9999 like normal, but I highly doubt a red mage or thief will be able to attack for several thousand.
Wait, what did you do to stop neo exdeath from casting special abilities?

Edit:, lvl song made it so your party could attack multiple times before neo exdeath even got his first turn???

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Yeah basically if you have the hero's song, which slowly increases your party's levels in battle, you can just stall at the first exdeath, pump up your characters to ridic levels and then destroy him.
Wouldn't white ball ruin that?

Wait, what did you do to stop neo exdeath from casting special abilities?

Edit:, lvl song made it so your party could attack multiple times before neo exdeath even got his first turn???

He got some normal attacks in, but he was murdered with a souped-up Bahamut before he could do much else.

Edit: Oh, about the health never changing?

FinalFantasyVAdvance_45-2.png

Wouldn't white ball ruin that?

Nope! you do have to revive the character, but the increase persists through death, and he doesn't really do any other threatening things.

RevenantKioku

Eighty dollar donation just went through. My job list got a bit of a shake up!

RevenantKioku

For all of the pain that I have attempted to inflict upon your job list, you cannot blame me for the fact that you now have love that is like a truck.

I can! Because Blue Mage and Berserker would be more fun than Thief an Berserker!

Negator

Having to learn some basic HTML setting up my info page for the twitch.tv livestream. Have a link to the official site, as well as a link to the donation page.

Now I'm just trying to figure out if while doing the stream there should be commentary or no commentary.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Thief Berserker is terrible. The only good thing are the very few berserker weapons that are steals instead of drops and getting money slightly quicker for flame ring grinding.

Thief three berserkers is just about the hardest hard mode challenge in this game. 4 WM's is so brutal to get going but gets slightly easier as you go along.

I'm so glad someone decided to angel donate you a Blue Mage...for now. I would help if I could having never had the sweet touch of Blue Magic on my fiesta runs.

RevenantKioku

Is there any way to even utilize Flame Ring healing if your first two jobs are Thief and Berserker?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Since you have a thief anyways you might as well get as many rings as possible and switch them in when enemies have a high amount of fire/water attacks.

Flame Rings are just good accessories in general.

RedCoyote

I'm thinking of seeing how well I can do without using Flame/Coral/Reflect rings, or at least not buying them. Some of the bosses are total jokes when you use those things. It'll depend on what jobs I get I guess. I fought Leviathan once without Coral Rings and the only way I could survive his Tsunamis was by using Jump, so I dunno.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Unless you are super overleveled or spam curaga the entire fight Leviathan will kill you dead without some method of stopping tsunami.

I bet RK is happy with how the vote is going. Red Mage has Confuse, Blue Mage likes Confuse.

Top Bottom