• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2012

My problem with both Dancer and Geomancer was how inconsistent they are. You're right though, with the right set up they can be helpful. Hopefully I don't get Dragoon or Beastmaster this year.

Having both at once is an exercise in frustration. It makes Exdeath (castle) one of the hardest fights in the game unless you rolled one of the early forms of offense.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The only characters worse then Celes are in FF4, the definitive worst final fantasy game.

Beef has never played FF2 or 3, confirmed.

Anyone that says n that isn't 2 or 3 is the worst Final Fantasy ever has not played the series.

This thread really makes me want to play FFV, as it is the only main entry I didn't play yet and it seems quite varied / polyvalent in its gameplay.

Ri'Orius

Having both at once is an exercise in frustration. It makes Exdeath (castle) one of the hardest fights in the game unless you rolled one of the early forms of offense.

Yeah, I hated having Berserker, Dancer and Geomancer (and a Monk, who didn't help) two years ago. Pretty lame when three quarters of my party are acting randomly.

This thread really makes me want to play FFV, as it is the only main entry I didn't play yet and it seems quite varied / polyvalent in its gameplay.

Play it! Start now and you should be able to finish in time to join us! (don't do a FFV4JF run as your first, though)

laika09

Anyone that says n that isn't 2 or 3 is the worst Final Fantasy ever has not played the series.

I think very few people claim that 3 is the worst. Even fewer who have played it.

2 is a shitpile though

In other news, if I can find my OG DS, I'm signing up for this. Some particular complaints about the PSOne Classic scare me.

I always watched this event from a distance because last time I played FFV years ago I only got to that
library that seems to be the end of a chapter or something like it. WoR style, perhaps?
A friend of mine is doing it this year, so I guess I can at least try.

ClFCv.png

This seems more appropriate. It's also what I voted for, but that was way back at the start.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
This one was a bit early unless I'm mistaken, they seem to always start when I'm on vacation at the end of June/early July!
I'm replying to this a bit late but yeah I think the first one was even in May! I want it to be on the US summer vacation schedule. Last year started in July because of the time it took to make Gilgabot and the site, plus my son was born and all that.

I am going to have a thief, aren't I? Hooboy

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Thief isn't that bad as long as you buy 99 Potions before going into the ship graveyard.

Anyone who gets 2,3, or 4 thieves on hard mode is going to be in for a rude awakening. Hell 3 thieves would mean you would have to do one of the hardest possible challenges in the game Byblios with 3 thieves (Also 2 thieves and the wrong job from the fire crystal, teehee)

4 WM's is harder overall, but at least they get Holy. Thieves just get more stuff to steal.

zashga

ClFCv.png

This seems more appropriate. It's also what I voted for, but that was way back at the start.

This is the exact party I voted for, too. Thief and dancer look pretty secure at this point, but the middle two may take a turn for the worse. Berserker risk, indeed.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If you don't get a magic class to go with them I daresay that RM is the second worse class in that crystal!

Sure it's good early (real good for most of world 1) but RM's fall off a cliff if you can't get them better magic!

If you don't get a magic class to go with them I daresay that RM is the second worse class in that crystal!

Sure it's good early (real good for most of world 1) but RM's fall off a cliff if you can't get them better magic!

Yep. Red mage without support from a real caster is a REALLY BAD CLASS. About the only useful thing they can do endgame is doublecast raise.

I wonder if someone on hard is going to roll Red + Summoner or Red + Time, for a ridiculous endgame.

Nope, 4 is definitely the most boring by far. But that's probably for a different train wreck of a thread.

Anyway, so how exactly does this berserker's rage thing work? Am I understanding it right in that if $100 gets donated, 10 people who signed up for it are guaranteed 1 berseker? So if 50 people signed up for it, the other 40 who don't get picked are still doing regular hard?

Chris R

Secured a copy of the GBA game (should be here next week) and dusted off my old GBA. Now to figure out the best way to take pictures of the game while I play it...

Oh, and I guess I should register too.

Natetan

pre reg for hard. i got thief, white mage, berserker, dancer or something before, so it will be tough to make it harder than that!

Ainaurdur

I may have a mild case of FFVFJF Hype. So I must share the IoJ from last year!

Hope we get even more people joining us this year. We are more than half-way there already.

If anyone is on the fence or considering just watching others play, I promise you will have a blast if you join in and play with us!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
If only some kind and brave soul would throw down at least $79 on Blue Mage...

...for the children! And RK's sanity.

I like the cut of this guy's jib. Hell, I might even like all of the jib.

I was debating if I wanted to do this or not, after careful consideration LET'S DOOO IT! Only doing regular mode because I've never tried a job challenge before which is odd considering FFV is one of my favorite games of all time.

TxdoHawk

Okay, I found my GBA SP's charger and ordered a (hopefully legit, based on markings and seller feedback) copy of FFV off Ebay. Let's do this.

Ainaurdur

Totally missed that the thread had gone live! Awesome.

Can't decide whether I'm going to go hard mode or not. On the one hand, more variety. On the other hand, 1 Thief 3 Berserkers...

Go Hard! All the cool kids are doing it, live dangerously! Just don't do Berserker Risk. That's crazy.
edit: Yes! Work caused me to be too slow in the typing.

I was debating if I wanted to do this or not, after careful consideration LET'S DOOO IT! Only doing regular mode because I've never tried a job challenge before which is odd considering FFV is one of my favorite games of all time.

Good decision. I was surprised the first year I participated how the challenge adds to the play experience. You will enjoy it. And regular is still great. "Hard Mode" is just a little more random.

Aeana

I like 2 and 3 (Famicom, not DS) a lot. In fact, my appreciation for 2 grows each time I replay it. They are not my least favorites in the series.

You can claim that I haven't played the series if you like.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There are probably going to be more people signed up for this than last year...before this even opens.

Crazy!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I like 2 and 3 (Famicom, not DS) a lot. In fact, my appreciation for 2 grows each time I replay it. They are not my least favorites in the series.

Beating up on people is a terrible mechanic and I hope you feel bad.

Also since RK says 12 is bad when it's the best FF I should donate 79
cents
for for the worst classes again.

Aeana

Beating up on people is a terrible mechanic and I hope you feel bad.

Also since RK says 12 is bad when it's the best FF I should donate 79
cents
for for the worst classes again.
Beating up on people is the wrong way to play the game. Try not doing it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The FC version of two is near broken. I do quite like the GBA version though and I think the added dungeon in that game is the only good one any of the remakes ever got.

Ainaurdur

Fonthack courtesy of Aeana. It makes it much easier to read at that sort of size.

Have the two versions running side by side, have not decided which one I will play yet. Extra readability is nice, but loses some charm of the default font. And that funky ampersand.

I think somebody would be struck with a peculiar madness to make such claims. :)

I need to give 2 another shot, have never completed it. Got busy and pulled away, didn't mind the systems or story at all. Enjoyed what I have played of it.

Hazmat

Registered!

I really enjoyed this the last two years, I can't wait to get started again! I'm not super familiar with FF5, so I'm only registered for the regular version. Will it be possible to re-register for a hard mode second round if the mood strikes me, or will I have to make another twitter account?

Big thanks to RK for doing this! Thinking of an appropriate pledge for my budget!

RevenantKioku

Man, how is Red Mage beating Berserker? Come on, people. RK must have a Berserker!
Out of three fiestas I've had berserker twice. Thief once as well so I was hoping to get Blue, White or Knight but that look unlikely!

RevenantKioku

Hazmat said:
Big thanks to RK for doing this! Thinking of an appropriate pledge for my budget!
You're very welcome.

If you donate soon don't forget to apply it to my jobs. And thanks for donating!

And remember I am live casting this. So you guys are deciding how interesting it'll be!

Susurrus

OK, I signed up hard mode.

Last year I started on my GBA version (on my DS Lite). Got Bard, Time Mage, and White Mage before I stopped.

My four save slots are full now, and now the PS1 download is available (which I actually picked up for free as a plus member), so I'm considering pulling out my PSP instead. Haven't decided yet, though.

Last year I started on my GBA version (on my DS Lite). Got Bard, Time Mage, and White Mage before I stopped.

My four save slots are full now, and now the PS1 download is available (which I actually picked up for free as a plus member), so I'm considering pulling out my PSP instead. Haven't decided yet, though.

The GBA version is superior in every way.

Ainaurdur

The GBA version is superior in every way.

Yes, sounds like it is time to sacrifice one of those old saves for the fiesta this year. Truly GBA is the better choice if you have the option.

Also: 307 Players! Glad to see it broke the 300 mark overnight. It was sitting at 299 for too long. Let's get out there and encourage more people to join us. I have one friend I keep reminding to sign up at least once a day. He has not broken yet. But he will...

ShutEye

Just started to play this. I won't be participating in the Fiesta (I'll throw some dollaro's to Child's Play). I never got into FFV before but this is a really good game.
I'm only a few hours in but the job system seems to holds tons of potential. Colour me impressed.

Signed up for Hard Mode. I burned out last year, so I am determined to keep this up. Last year I had White Mage, Time Mage, Geomancer and Dancer and just gave up at the very end. I just forgot about it.

I'm also very happy I caught this thread, I always seem to miss the beginning.

Top Bottom