• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV [DS] new scan

Takuan

Nostalgiagasm! I like the direction they've gone with the character models, particularly the character-unique faces and greater range of expression. Kain's helmet looks a bit foolish, though. :lol I'm really eager for this, hope we get a North American date soon.

PolyGone

Banned
Takuan said:
Nostalgiagasm! I like the direction they've gone with the character models, particularly the character-unique faces and greater range of expression. Kain's helmet looks a bit foolish, though. :lol I'm really eager for this, hope we get a North American date soon.

foolishly... awesome?

Ledsen

Looks really good, except Cecil in Dark Knight armor makes me start humming "na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na BATMAAAAAN", and then I start thinking about chibi-George Clooney and I giggle.

tnw

Banned
kain looks great.

rosa looks too much like aeris and too homely. paladin cecil looks pretty good, but not good enough.

the chibi and animu eyes are a big turn off.

Nuke

Banned
It's pretty funny that this is my most anticipated game out there right now. Especially when you consider that I've played and beaten it multiple times before.

xcomp

Definitely looking good. Looks like the new head to body ratio is working out.

And yes, it's Rosa Farrell, Cecil Harvey and Kain Highwind in the scans. Can't wait until they release the OP PV on their site :D

Looks nice, but I wish they went for more realistic looking character models altogether. The CG art looks so stunning afterall, but I understand that the DS can't replicate that to an acceptable level, so I guess this works well enough.

El Papa

Magicpaint said:
Looks nice, but I wish they went for more realistic looking character models altogether. The CG art looks so stunning afterall, but I understand that the DS can't replicate that to an acceptable level, so I guess this works well enough.
WTF? Are you some kind of Nomura lover?

KevinRo

rosa looks so hot in that first picture, where she kinda looks sad. all these pictures and awesome character models are making me giddy.

i just cant wait to see how the land of summons will look like in 3D.

El Papa

Magicpaint said:
Then there is hope for you. ;) Really though, I think the models look great, after all, the original had SD style models for overworld and battle. This game is gonna make me jack a hobo and buy a DS.

Llyranor

Why am I tempted to get this? I just got FF4A a few months back (barely a few hrs in), and I finished the SNES version years ago multiple times.

Why?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Do you think they'd give this treatment to FF6?

man, I could only imagine how awesome that would be...
I hope they don't chicken out.

Dascu

John Harker said:

FF5 first. I want to see ExDeath's final form in 3D.

Akala

Probably my fave game of all time (heavily nostalgia based).

I just need to get past the AmanoCecil. In the SNES game, the SD characters were pretty much loose interpretations of his concept art. Now that they can actually do his designs a bit of justice, they are trying to do so.

I really wish they wouldn't though, as I totally prefer generic AnimeCecil from the old days. :(

Totally psyched for it in any case. :lol

PolyGone

Banned
Akala said:
In the SNES game, the SD characters were pretty much loose interpretations of his concept art.

well, the in-game models are still pretty loose renditions frankly...

ethelred said:
Dragon Quest vs. Final Fantasy, round 2,293... fight!

why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends

PolyGone

Banned
Akala said:
OH GOD I just realized that render/shot is supposed to be Cecil as a dark knight.

nvm, yeah the bottom right shot (in-game) is him as Dark Knight - and it is a little disappointing

JayDubya

Banned
PolyGone said:
what the hell makes you think that? :/ he looks like a paladin, and its followed directly by the in-game shot of him as a paladin.

unless you're getting Dark Knight Cecil and Kain mixed up (how embarrassing).

Bottom left?

Honestly, I can't tell. Perhaps there's a scene with him as a DK where he takes his helm off.

Or perhaps that's his new Paladin look. But it doesn't remind me even vaguely of his old appearance, aside from the headband. The armor appears, in this scan, to be black and spiky. The sword he's wielding has a dark hilt.

Maybe it's just because the color is a bit off on the entire scan. I don't know.

Edit: No, bottom right? Hrm, maybe his new Paladin look is quite different, then. I see nothing wrong with the Dark Knight armor in that part of the scan. Besides we've already seen his in-game model. The rest of it looks like FMV stuff.

Akala

Bottom right is him as a DK. Looks like the scene in the beginning where he is talking to Rosa in their room. The render confused me for a second because of all the spikes and black ingrained into the armor (havent had my coffee yet :p), but it's obviously the redesigned Paladin. It almost looks like Koenig armor from FFXI.

As for the dark knight pic, hopefully his face is only showing for the scene (emoting/foreshadowing), but I doubt it.

I need to take a few deep breaths before overreacting early in the morning.

JayDubya

Banned
His Paladin outfit was so colorful before. I mean, I guess it's an appropriate redesign because the big bright yellow cloak wouldn't look very good, but it's a big change.

Cecil%20(Paladin)%20-%20Normal.gif
Cecil%20(Paladin)%20-%20Magic.gif
Cecil%20(Paladin)%20-%20Victory.gif

Ginko

JayDubya said:
His Paladin outfit was so colorful before. I mean, I guess it's an appropriate redesign because the big bright yellow cloak wouldn't look very good, but it's a big change.

Cecil%20(Paladin)%20-%20Normal.gif
Cecil%20(Paladin)%20-%20Magic.gif
Cecil%20(Paladin)%20-%20Victory.gif

Personally, I'm ok with this design since it represents the original design of Amano more than the old one.

168fs221386.jpg

I didn't have a problem with the old Paladin Cecil though.

jjasper

John Harker said:

I don't know I kinda hope they don't FFVI's 2D looks better than this 3D to me.

JayDubya

Banned
Ginko said:
Personally, I'm ok with this design since it represents the original design of Amano more than the old one.

168fs221386.jpg

I'd like it more with the inside of the cape being red like it is here. That looks awesome.

Ginko

JayDubya said:
I'd like it more with the inside of the cape being red like it is here. That looks awesome.
True, I was thinking the same thing just now. I wonder why they didn't go with the red color.

Top Bottom