• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV [DS] new scan

Llyranor

I wasn't actually initially thinking about getting this. After all, I just recently got FF4-6 for GBA.

However, the 3D models do look quite nice, and the missing script is very intriguing.

I passed on FF3, but FF4 is awesome. I won't really feel that bad about supporting FF4-6 another time around.

Of course, I'll also gladly support DQ4-6 since I've never played them.

Portable JRPGs are awesome.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Deku said:
One of the problems with the early SFC games was the memory limitations limiting text that could be stored (if I remember correct FF IV was only 4Mbit) I would venture to guess the NPCs will have more to say, there may be sidequest scenarios which flesh out some of the plotlines better and the rest will be told in the in-game and movie cinematics which the original didn't have.

I wouldn't expect an entirely new game woven inside the existing structure, though I am hoping for a lot of new content.

Just the thought of getting a more complete version of the original storyline and script that wasn't there in the original SNES and GBA games makes me excited enough.

Even if it was more dialogue that fleshes the characters or more dialogue that fleshes the NPCs. In the end it will present a more complete experience than we have before.

ethelred

TheJollyCorner said:
Because of hardware limitations, yes. I remember Sakaguchi saying it back in 1992 around FFV's release. They could have made them tall and thin, ala Phantasy Star, but the big problem came in the battle graphics, so they decided just to stick with SD.

Amano's original designs always dealt with realistically proportioned (artistic flair aside) characters- and unlike his role in later FF's, he actually worked very closely w/ Sakaguchi to specifically design these characters and aspects of the worlds.

I don't think I'd say Amano's designs are that realistic -- their limbs are always a bit odd, the faces have weird angles to them that aren't possible with proper designs... everything about them is designed to be artistically stylistic. The character art is a sharp contrast to the stuff done by Nomura later on. Even if you look at some of the concept art on characters like Strago and Cyan, there's odd proportions to them.

I think it's the style of these games, and that's fine. I don't consider it a hardware issue, because there were, as you say, RPGs in that era and on similar (or identical) hardware with more realistic proportioning -- look at the Phantasy Star series, or Breath of Fire II even.

Proper remakes should stay true to the style of the originals and I'm glad they're keeping some of that unique artistry here.

Hcoregamer00 said:
That is freaking hot, I wish all remakes were like this.

Sticking more with the original script and vision of the storyline by re-adding the stuff that was removed the first time around. If they only used 25% of the original script, I can't even imagine how the story would be expanded if they went with 50% or 75% of the script.

I don't think it's that hard to imagine. FFIV frequently seems insanely rushed, plotwise. You really jet from one major event to the next without a single breath. It's pretty easy to imagine a lot of stuff being cut out there.

Ginko

ethelred said:
I don't think it's that hard to imagine. FFIV frequently seems insanely rushed, plotwise. You really jet from one major event to the next without a single breath. It's pretty easy to imagine a lot of stuff being cut out there.
True, the pace was a major draw back in FFIV's story. I think we'll see more in-between events that balance it.

Regarding the style of the remake, I have to agree with ethelred here, FFIV would not be FFIV if the style was changed from the original. Besides, I believe these designs give the sense of Amano's work more than realistic proportioned designs.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
yeah ff4 is way too fast paced, that's my main gripe with the plot. I do think the game have the best story of the crystals storylines imo (yes better than FF9)

B.K.

My only real problem with the game's story was that
everyone except Tellah came back to life. It ruined the impact of their 'sacrifices'. I hope some of them actually die.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
not to me, the problem with
deaths in the game is that too many characters 'die', so the impact of those characters that did truly die is cheapen by the numerous 'deaths' in the game.

honestly by the time the 5th character sacrificed herself/himself I just rolled eyes at it.

PolyGone

Banned
Error said:
not to me, the problem with
deaths in the game is that too many characters 'die', so the impact of those characters that did truly die is cheapen by the numerous 'deaths' in the game.

honestly by the time the 5th character sacrificed herself/himself I just rolled eyes at it.

well, the story wasn't written with adults in mind... when I played it originally I think I was like 12 years old and I liked it... :)

firex

The only part I don't really like about FF4's plot is
Kain's brain-washing and then returning to normal and then getting brain-washed again and then returning to normal.
Obviously he's a badass character because of all the damage he does, but his part in the story kinda sucks.

I think
Kain
is the worst
Dragoon
in the series. He looks so badass, but when it comes down to it, he's
a weak-minded pawn who never does stand up for himself in any meaningful way.

As
Dragoons
go, it's like this:
Richard (FFII) > Freya (FFIX) > Epuracion (FFXI) > Cid (FFVII) > Kain (FFIV)

BrandNew said:
I'd say it's pretty much a sure thing that Square will remake AT LEAST VI as well. At least, that's the one I TRULY want.

I just find it odd that Square has yet to touch arguably two of the best FF's to date in popular opinions (ff6 and ff7) -- fuck that dirge of cerberus shit, I'm talking DS/next - gen remake or sequals to

Deku

Banned
FFCVII is being milked. VI is the one that hasn't really being touched outside of a few rom dumps on the PSone and GBA. VI does appear to be more popular with the more hardcore segmenet of the community in NA, so I'd guess it'd be very well received when a remake does happen.

ethelred said:
But yeah... SD kids? Compared to the original FFVI? It's an old-school game with surreal Amano character designs -- do people actually want super-realistically proportioned character models like, say, FFVIII? Not really in keeping with the game, in this case.
Well, they're doing it for the CG. I wish it was consistent one way or the other.

Duderz

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I want
Edge
to be written out of the end plot officially. He sucks,
Yang
FTW! :(

*thumbs up*

And I agree about all the
cheap deaths. At a certain point, I could not help but laugh; the only game that did this exact thing but even worse was DDS2.

NolbertoS

Me want this game bad, even though I already own FFIV to VI on GBA, and the DQ haters on this thread, remember that 10 years ago, FF was just a fringe RPG, prior to FF VII, and DQ was more popular here in N.A. and that's not saying alot. I love both franchises, but the DQ haters should thank DQ for giving to rise to FF, or else FF might never have seen the light of day, if the company hadn't tried to give DQ a run for it's money. All I can say is S-E is so big that they can pretty much release there own console with FF, DQ and other JRPG's and they would be successful in Japan and maybe North America.

Red Scarlet

cvxfreak said:
I want
Edge
to be written out of the end plot officially. He sucks,
Yang
FTW! :(

Eh, I like stealing Earth Hammers for Rosa and Rydia to equip.
Or Lamia Harps to own the boss.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think
Kain
is the worst
Dragoon
in the series. He looks so badass, but when it comes down to it, he's
a weak-minded pawn who never does stand up for himself in any meaningful way.

As
Dragoons
go, it's like this:
Richard (FFII) > Freya (FFIX) > Epuracion (FFXI) > Cid (FFVII) > Kain (FFIV)

It's Ricard, not 'Richard', FYI. And yes, he was awesome pretty much entirely for his death scene. FFII pulled off the 'dey be dropping like FLIES' thing a whole lot better than FFIV, in my eyes.

yeah ff4 is way too fast paced, that's my main gripe with the plot. I do think the game have the best story of the crystals storylines imo (yes better than FF9)

You take that back. You take that back RIGHT NOW.

Seriously, did FFIX even have a Crystals storyline, at least in the vein of the earlier FFs? Aside from the summoning gems, which were largely irrelevant, the only 'crystal' was the crystal of existence which Kuja was going to destroy. Not really anything like the other FF games.

Pureauthor said:
It's Ricard, not 'Richard', FYI. And yes, he was awesome pretty much entirely for his death scene. FFII pulled off the 'dey be dropping like FLIES' thing a whole lot better than FFIV, in my eyes.
Gareth, Ricard, Richard...he's had so many names I can't keep it straight anymore.

cvxfreak

Red Scarlet said:
Eh, I like stealing Earth Hammers for Rosa and Rydia to equip.
Or Lamia Harps to own the boss.

I guess FFIV Advance was close enough. The plot no longer actually needed him there. The other three companions had a good reason to stick around until the end.

I hope they keep that dynamic of switching characters out for the final boss.

Red Scarlet

Pureauthor said:
It's Ricard, not 'Richard', FYI.

My Wonderswan Color manual says Richard in English. Unless the only versions that came out earlier that one (Famicom and 1+2 cart) say Ricard, then no, sorry, but you're wrong.

Yang was way overpowered in the GBA version at the end.

Red Scarlet said:
My Wonderswan Color manual says Richard in English. Unless the only versions that came out earlier that one (Famicom and 1+2 cart) say Ricard, then no, sorry, but you're wrong.

Odd. If that's the case, why'd they change it for the english version?

Also, don't we usually use the latest translations as the most accurate ones?

In any case, from what I can dig up, he was referred to as 'Richard' in the NES version, so I guess you're right there.

Red Scarlet

Pureauthor said:
Odd. If that's the case, why'd they change it for the english version?

Also, don't we usually use the latest translations as the most accurate ones?

In any case, from what I can dig up, he was referred to as 'Richard' in the NES version, so I guess you're right there.

Space limitations of 6 letters, so Frioniel was changed to Firion and Richard was changed to Ricard. I don't have a save on the Famicom version where I have any way of seeing his name without playing again, but I am rather certain that his name has a 'cha' not 'ka' sound.

Anyway, I hope that the battle summons are a little easier to get..I've only gotten half of those (Bomb and Goblin).

Top Bottom