• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV [DS] new scan

JayDubya

Banned
Ginko said:
True, I was thinking the same thing just now. I wonder why they didn't go with the red color.

Well, thematically, it's valid to go from solid black full plate armor to a whitish steel armor, white cape, etc. Of course, with his white hair as well, it makes him look like a ghost. :lol

Ginko

JayDubya said:
Well, thematically, it's valid to go from solid black full plate armor to a whitish steel armor, white cape, etc. Of course, with his white hair as well, it makes him look like a ghost. :lol
Haha, I guess they wanted the colors to blend together too, the red will just stand out too much.

LocoSWE

This is one of my favorite game of all time, and im so damn glad that it is going to be released in 3D and for the DS!

Knocks

PolyGone said:
considering its one of the prettiest DS games, yeah I'd say its nice to see them topping it. :/

FF III may have been technically capable but it wasn't pretty. To each their own, I guess. I'll take hand-drawn sprites on 3D planes, a la DQ IV remake anytime over this junk.

PolyGone

Banned
Knocks said:
FF III may have been technically capable but it wasn't pretty. To each their own, I guess. I'll take hand-drawn sprites on 3D planes, a la DQ IV remake anytime over this junk.

so its junk now? I lol'd

El Papa said:
WTF? Are you some kind of Nomura lover?
Nomura's Final Fantasy VII is another of the FFs that switches character proportions as it pleases. VI, VIII, IX, X, (I assume XI), and XII keep consistent character proportions regardless of battle, walking, or CG*; and is something I prefer.

*Well, other than the CG added to FF VI several years later for PS1.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Nomura's Final Fantasy VII is another of the FFs that switches character proportions as it pleases. VI, VIII, IX, X, (I assume XI), and XII keep consistent character proportions regardless of battle, walking, or CG*; and is something I prefer.

*Well, other than the CG added to FF VI several years later for PS1.
It's a safe assumption. Like XII, the characters just whip out their weapons and fight, and since the cutscenes are almost entirely real-time, the same models are used there as well.

PolyGone

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
The scan is down.

0.8476401187325921.jpg

Neil

I hope this is better than the FF3 remake, that was good... but a bit of a let down.
However, the original FF4 is amazing, so I'm sure as long as they don't skip anything out, maybe add new things, the remake will be flawless.

d+pad

widgetraf said:
Actually you can skip 5, I want 6 in 3d on my DS

Don't say that! As much as I want IV and VI in wonderful DS 3D, I also want V. This has always been one of my favorites, just because it's so open-ended.

I have faith SE will do the right thing and bring all 3 to the DS ;)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
TekunoRobby said:
Not as awesome as the Dragon Quest IV DS game but great none the less.
Sorry, I had to direct some traffic to DQIV. This game is indeed incredibly but I hope it doesn't completely overshadow poor DQIV on NeoGAF. :(

I find it to be a great coincidence that I bought FFIVa a week before this was announced. I'm now holding off on FFV/VIa just in case.

it looks like that onyx demo of what FFVII was supposed to be like on hte N64 or whatever that was. that's pretty cool in a "what could have been" kind of way.

i hope they go ahead and remake FFV and VI too, but i guess by then the DS will be phased out by its successor. as long as this sells like FF3 DS i'm sure the other remakes are inevitable though

Tyrone Slothrop said:
it looks like that onyx demo of what FFVII was supposed to be like on hte N64 or whatever that was. that's pretty cool in a "what could have been" kind of way.

i hope they go ahead and remake FFV and VI too, but i guess by then the DS will be phased out by its successor. as long as this sells like FF3 DS i'm sure the other remakes are inevitable though
It seems there's less than a year and half between IIIDS and IVDS, so if the next two followed suit they could all be out by mid 2010.

Aeana

TekunoRobby said:
Sorry, I had to direct some traffic to DQIV. This game is indeed incredibly but I hope it doesn't completely overshadow poor DQIV on NeoGAF. :(

Don't worry, it will. People here care little about DQ itself, only about how DQ will affect the platform it's on. Just take compare the threads for DQ4 DS and FF4 DS that were just made today.

Bitter? Maybe.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
SomeDude said:
Why do they keep re-releasing all the old ass Final Fantasy games?
FFIV-VI was the best generation of FF games, but the key to bypassing all the milking is not to buy the crappy TOSE ports.

Jiggy

TekunoRobby said:
Good luck with that one. :( Better gameplay, better characters, probably about equal music, though DQ uses its music better by having five battle and five overworld themes. In spite of this, FFIV will win because it has "Final Fantasy" in the title and because people apparently hate (fully) turn-based battles or something. Antiquated, they say, as I ponder how they feel about chess, checkers, and poker.

Wow! And I was so close to getting the GBA edition just last night. Guess it pays to wait...

Though maybe I should just get VI instead.

ethelred

AnimeTheme said:
I
don't
like how Square-Enix turn all FF characters on NDS into SD kids.

The hilarious thing about this is how someone was looking at the FFT A2 versions of Vaan and Penelo and saying that they looked better than the versions in XII.

But yeah... SD kids? Compared to the original FFVI? It's an old-school game with surreal Amano character designs -- do people actually want super-realistically proportioned character models like, say, FFVIII? Not really in keeping with the game, in this case.

If Square Enix does a DS remake of FFX and turns Tidus and Auron into SD models, you can gripe. Until then... this is the way FFIV, FFV, and FFVI were made originally, so just deal with it. It has nothing to do with the hardware.

Aeana said:
Don't worry, it will. People here care little about DQ itself, only about how DQ will affect the platform it's on.

Nah, some people still care about DQ.

JoshuaJSlone said:
It seems there's less than a year and half between IIIDS and IVDS, so if the next two followed suit they could all be out by mid 2010.

I imagine Matrix will continually get more proficient at their work on the system, and they're probably reusing the same engine and just making enhancements to it as they go. It may or may not continue to go faster as they complete each game.

SomeDude said:
Why do they keep re-releasing all the old ass Final Fantasy games?

They've done quite a few ports of the older games, but this is the first time they've made a concerted effort to do serious, overhauling remakes of the old FF games. I'm not going to complain until they start botching these, which they haven't done yet.

I am pretty eager to see what they do with IV considering the remarks Tokita made about how they only used about 25% of the script in the original game and they intend to significantly expand the story in the remake with some of the stuff they had to cut.

ethelred said:
If Square Enix does a DS remake of FFX and turns Tidus and Auron into SD models, you can gripe. Until then... this is the way FFIV, FFV, and FFVI were made originally, so just deal with it. It has nothing to do with the hardware.

Because of hardware limitations, yes. I remember Sakaguchi saying it back in 1992 around FFV's release. They could have made them tall and thin, ala Phantasy Star, but the big problem came in the battle graphics, so they decided just to stick with SD.

Amano's original designs always dealt with realistically proportioned (artistic flair aside) characters- and unlike his role in later FF's, he actually worked very closely w/ Sakaguchi to specifically design these characters and aspects of the worlds.

I am pretty eager to see what they do with IV considering the remarks Tokita made about how they only used about 25% of the script in the original game and they intend to significantly expand the story in the remake with some of the stuff they had to cut.

Absolutely. I'm actually very, very excited about this remake.
Is it too much to hope for some new Uematsu tracks for this? Slim to none, I know, but one can dream. :D

Deku

Banned
The 3D models in the game are an evolution of the original SD sprite work. It's a cross between this:
05.jpg

and this:
Ff4jbox.gif

It looks great.

And no, Amano's original designs were not realistically proportioned. They often had elaborate clothing and indefinite edges which made imagining them as 3D models difficult. SE has a done a great job reimagining them for this remake.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
ethelred said:

That is freaking hot, I wish all remakes were like this.

Sticking more with the original script and vision of the storyline by re-adding the stuff that was removed the first time around. If they only used 25% of the original script, I can't even imagine how the story would be expanded if they went with 50% or 75% of the script.

Akala

Hcoregamer00 said:
Sticking more with the original script and vision of the storyline by re-adding the stuff that was removed the first time around. If they only used 25% of the original script, I can't even imagine how the story would be expanded if they went with 50% or 75% of the script.

They better not add a
revive
Palom and Porom fetch quest!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Hcoregamer00 said:
That is freaking hot, I wish all remakes were like this.

Yeah seriously this is the most intriguing part of the game for me. I really want to know how much of that 75% is being used cause it could really make it a completely different game. And whats more is that if, or rather when, they remake V and VI, if they had a similar situation as IV and will add more of the original script to them as well.

Red Scarlet

I'd imagine that some of the taken out part has to do with the
dark crystals already taken by Golbeza when you get underground.

Who knows what else they could add or removed!

Deku

Banned
One of the problems with the early SFC games was the memory limitations limiting text that could be stored (if I remember correct FF IV was only 4Mbit) I would venture to guess the NPCs will have more to say, there may be sidequest scenarios which flesh out some of the plotlines better and the rest will be told in the in-game and movie cinematics which the original didn't have.

I wouldn't expect an entirely new game woven inside the existing structure, though I am hoping for a lot of new content.

Top Bottom