• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Spoilers about character availability in the current US game:
The following are the characters available in the current US game: Protag, Tidus, Warrior (FF1), White Mage, Black Mage, Cloud, Wakka, Kain, Rydia, Hunter, Bard

There are ~50 characters available in the JPN version that are not available in the US version and will be added over time.

What about
the Bard
? I've seen that character mentioned on loading screens. Having additional characters released over time is great, and (eventually) having a huge cast like this one in a retro Final Fantasy game is hitting all the right nostalgia buttons for me.

Finished the current run of classic dungeons. Working on going back and mastering the ones I didn't the first time around, and then Elite Dungeons.

I've only mastered about 5 Elite dungeons, but the best tip I can give before you attempt it without wiping is to acquire and hone 2* abilities.

Get Thundara and Thunder Strike first, and also get Boost, Cura and Double Cut.

I hit the Elite FF VII bosses for 4k with a boosted Cloud using Thunder Strike.

Z3M0G

Duuuuuuuude. :(

Also, holy crap. 1100+ reviews on the iOS app store after only a day.

About 4k reviews on Google store in 1 day.

Are they good?

Google:

Before going World Wide (03-25-2015, 01:46 PM, Canada Only):

5 star - 916
4 star - 170
3 star - 45
2 star - 20
1 star - 31

After going World Wide (Now):

5 star - 4551
4 star - 795
3 star - 162
2 star - 52
1 star - 95

Kadmac25

It's sitting at five stars. 90% five stars, like 7% four stars, and a few three, two, and one star reviews.

I think this goes to show how many people want the old styled FFs back. I am really enjoying this game since it brings back the old sprites with wonderful animation. Square Enix, please make more of the old styled FFs. Its what a lot of us want.

Just think how awesome it would be to have short development time instead of making your fans wait 10+ years for a new game.

I think this goes to show how many people want the old styled FFs back. I am really enjoying this game since it brings back the old sprites with wonderful animation. Square Enix, please make more of the old styled FFs. Its what a lot of us want.

Just think how awesome it would be to have short development time instead of making your fans wait 10+ years for a new game.

I've always said the old school FF style is perfect for mobile. They gave us FF Dimensions but I'd like one with a little more budget thrown and creativity behind it.
Put some young staff on it so they can cut their teeth on development.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Can we finally be moving into an era where licensed mobile games aren't quick cash-in and egregious money grabs?

It's been the case for a while... but this one in particular is very fun. Shame some folks will skip it simply because it's a "freemium" game.

I wanI to go improve my weapons+abilities but it's a pain in the ass to do so because the menus are so sluggish.

They need to fix this soon.

Verger

Banned
This is the sort of game that could bode well if/when DeNA is asked to create content for Nintendo's mobile games, if there's a lot of positive reaction to it.

I wanI to go improve my weapons+abilities but it's a pain in the ass to do so because the menus are so sluggish.

Not only are they extremely sluggish, but party management in a pain in the ass. If you want to do anything other than what they give you for "optimize" you have to go through 50 million menus. You need to unequip abilities from one dude, then give them to another, then do the same for equipment, AND THEN change your party formation. Its ridiculous, and the sluggish menus makes it all the more annoying.

Einbroch

Banned
Not only are they extremely sluggish, but party management in a pain in the ass. If you want to do anything other than what they give you for "optimize" you have to go through 50 million menus. You need to unequip abilities from one dude, then give them to another, then do the same for equipment, AND THEN change your party formation. Its ridiculous.

You don't need to unequip people. Simply go to equip it and it'll automatically unequip it for you.

zulux21

indeed. I likely would have played this a lot more last night if it played smoother.
I also would have recommended it to my friends if it played smoothly, but as it stands I only recommended it to my friends that use IOS devices as I won't recommend a game with performance issues to my friends.

This is the sort of game that could bode well if/when DeNA is asked to create content for Nintendo's mobile games, if there's a lot of positive reaction to it.

I'm imagining a game done similar to this but with pokemon. Where TM/HM are tied to a gotcha system and you battle across the regions, eventually facing every gym leader and every elite 4.

Spoilers about character availability in the current US game:
The following are the characters available in the current US game: Protag, Tidus, Warrior (FF1), White Mage, Black Mage, Cloud, Wakka, Kain, Rydia, Hunter, Bard

There are ~50 characters available in the JPN version that are not available in the US version and will be added over time.

Is Shadow in the JPN version?

Z3M0G

I'm glad SE chose the original soundtrack for FFX and not that god awful remastered soundtrack.

They know.

They don't know enough to skip using the crappy FFV mobile art... at least it isn't used in the combat. Japan version only had original game art for FFIV and FFV

Z3M0G

I want to love this, but it's just so sluggish. There's loading for everything. Feels like playing FFVI on PSX...

Loading = Connecting

Doesn't make much difference, but maybe it'll help to understand what it is actually doing.

Every action is being transferred to the server. Nothing is stored locally on your phone.

heringer

Loading = Connecting

Doesn't make much difference, but maybe it'll help to understand what it is actually doing.

Every action is being transferred to the server. Nothing is stored locally on your phone.

I understand that. It's just as annoying though. Not every online only game is like that.

Shouta

As I mentioned, don't worry about spending money on stamina. There will be lots of time to get stuff and the recharge timer is fairly fast. You'll eventually build a pretty big stamina bar to do stuff in one go as you collect all the chips.

As for mythril, I would only recommend saving it for when your favorite series. If you aren't finicky, then go ahead and use it. The gear rates are the same for every gatcha, 10% for a 5 star, but the contents will vary. If a FF8 character is the one featured that week, it'll be one featuring FF8 related gear. Sometimes, they'll have a mixed gatcha where it'll be ones from various series. If there is ONE I would absolutely recommend going for, it's the Main Character's Iron Wall Grimoire or whatever it's called in the English version. It makes his Limit Break into a defensive one that reduces the damage you take in battle. VERY helpful for later boss fights in the hard mode versions of each dungeon.

Also on the topic of gear and an addendum to my comment about character resonance. Gear in the game also resonates with their original series. They get a statistical boost as a result of being used in those dungeons. So Even the weaker pieces can be very powerful in the correct circumstances.

For folks interested in what characters are coming, I took some screenshots of the ones I have now.

http://i.imgur.com/7SGmF4T.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/kefBmMZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zULyF8u.jpg

Also the current event is
Golbez and Tellah

If you guys have questions, just ask and I'll answer as best as I can.

Also, the game runs like poop on Android.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The interface really is garbage-tier, which is a shame. I'd love to delve into combining and creating stuff, but it's a chore dealing with the items. It's giving me flashbacks to the terrible crafting menus in AC3. I'm playing on iOS and I can't imagine how bad it runs in Android if it's supposed to be worse.

How is the current Japanese version? Did they make any improvements at all with updates? Even All the Bravest was smoother than this. I understand the game feels like it should connect to the server whenever I take a breath but it honestly doesn't need to be this bad when other F2P games manage just fine without going overboard. I guess it can't be helped since this one is outsourced, but I've grown to expect better from SE because they usually excel in UI design and in making their menus feel good to use.

Kouriozan

I am actually sad I have already unlocked all the main content.
Also, notice the localization errors

Y4aoI3P.jpg

Now what's left is grind, grind and more grind for the elite dungeons or something.

TheExodu5

Banned
One tip I can give is sell off equipment for gil and use upgrade materials to upgrade instead...far more cost effective. Adamantite shards being handed out for the daily dungeon today upgrade armor very cheaply.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I played on iPod Touch 5 last night - the constant loading screens were a huge turn off. I enjoyed the music..., so much that I quit this game played Curtain Call Theathrym instead.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The interface really is garbage-tier, which is a shame. I'd love to delve into combining and creating stuff, but it's a chore dealing with the items. It's giving me flashbacks to the terrible crafting menus in AC3. I'm playing on iOS and I can't imagine how bad it runs in Android if it's supposed to be worse.

How is the current Japanese version? Did they make any improvements at all with updates? Even All the Bravest was smoother than this. I understand the game feels like it should connect to the server whenever I take a breath but it honestly doesn't need to be this bad when other F2P games manage just fine without going overboard. I guess it can't be helped since this one is outsourced, but I've grown to expect better from SE because they usually excel in UI design and in making their menus feel good to use.

I... really don't agree. Like, I've found the interface really smooth, despite having an old-ass device.

iosefe

One tip I can give is sell off equipment for gil and use upgrade materials to upgrade instead...far more cost effective. Adamantite shards being handed out for the daily dungeon today upgrade armor very cheaply.

what about keeping a spare to upgrade? should i avoid 1* upgrading or keep em?

TheExodu5

Banned
I... really don't agree. Like, I've found the interface really smooth, despite having an old-ass device.

I really feel the pain on Wind with an iPhone 6+. Moving between menus is very slow and loading is very inconsistent.

I sell the 1* as I need to fund upgrades. If you have doubles of something you're using, however, you can keep them for combining. I just wouldn't use weapons/armor for anything but combining...it's too costly.

Negator

If I crafted a Thunder Strike with the current batch of characters available, only the MC would be able to use it if I am not mistaken?

And if that's the case, what upcoming characters would be able to use Spellblade abilities?

Edit: Welp. Looks like Cloud is about to get a shiny new thunderous toy.

commish

It's really not that bad at all. Are you on iOS or android? I'm on a 6+ and no issues at all so far, though I admit that I am used to the constant connecting/loading of these types of games. Even there, though, others are worse...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I think it depends on the device. It runs super smooth on my original Nexus 7 (2012), but runs like ass on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) even though it's easily 4x or 5x more powerful.

My guess is that it's not optimized for the much higher resolutions. My Nexus has a 1280×800 screen whereas the Note has a 2560×1600 screen.

Additionally, the loading screens seem to take forever on my Nexus 7, but they load so fast on my Note that I don't even have enough time to read the helpful hints.

EDIT: The problems I'm having on my Note all have to do with things like scrolling between the doors, and getting it to register my taps in the menus, stuff like that.

Shouta

If I crafted a Thunder Strike with the current batch of characters available, only the MC would be able to use it if I am not mistaken?

And if that's the case, what upcoming characters would be able to use Spellblade abilities?

You can check by holding on your character. it should give you a status screen and then a window that will display their equippable items, skills and what star ranking they can equip.

I think Cloud can equip elemental sword abilities though.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The constant loading doesn't bother you? It brings up the loading message with every single click you make in any menu, to the point I'd rather the game would just lag for half a second and not show it. There's a noticeable sluggishness in everything you do outside of battles and it's making me not want to deal with messing around with my loot, which is a big part of the game.

Also, having to press and hold to see what each item/ability does and having no easy way to compare stats between characters is also a bother. Everything is hidden behind too many clicks/presses, and even scrolling down your loot makes the game load again. I don't know, I'm liking the game but I'm finding navigating to be a chore. I'm trying to get used to it because otherwise I'm liking to play it.

It's really not that bad at all. Are you on iOS or android? I'm on a 6+ and no issues at all so far, though I admit that I am used to the constant connecting/loading of these types of games. Even there, though, others are worse...
I'm playing on iOS, an iPhone 5S. But yeah, I'm not used to games being this pushy about connecting to the server. I play quite a few of F2P games and I can't remember any that felt this bad in regards to how much it does and how in your face the loading/connecting message is all the time. Anyway, I'll try not to whine too much about it since it doesn't seem to be an issue for most people playing it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Tried the first FF VII mission on Elite. Got my ass handed to me because I didn't predict the tail coming up. Seems like it's every 3 attacks? I should be able to get it down next time. Shame it takes so much stamina to try.

commish

The constant loading doesn't bother you? It brings up the loading message with every single click you make in any menu, to the point I'd rather the game would just lag for half a second and not show it. There's a noticeable sluggishness in everything you do outside of battles and it's making me not want to deal with messing around with my loot, which is a big part of the game.

Also, having to press and hold to see what each item/ability does and having no easy way to compare stats between characters is also a bother. Everything is hidden behind too many clicks, and even scrolling down your loot makes the game load again. I don't know, I'm liking the game but I'm finding navigating to be a chore. I'm trying to get used to it because otherwise I'm liking to play it.

I'm playing on iOS, an iPhone 5S. But yeah, I'm not used to games being this pushy about connecting to the server. I play quite a few of F2P games and I can't remember any that felt this bad in regards to how much it does and how in your face the loading/connecting message is all the time. Anyway, I'll try not to whine too much about it since it doesn't seem to be an issue for most people playing it.

Interestingly enough, I think the last game that I thought was terrible at loading all the damn time was another DeNA game, Blood Brothers 2. I think it's a DeNA thing.

Z3M0G

I've done some 1* -> 3* upgrades and I'm not sure it was all worth it... plus:

1*->2* costs 2k gold
2*->3* costs 5k gold

Gets expensive fast! I got a small collection of 3+ star gear from my Mythril draws so far... so the 1* and 2* stuff is starting to feel like fodder. I doubt I'll ever bother to take advantage of matching gear to dungeons for boosts... (ie: using FFV gear in FFV dungeon)

Grinding the daily event and selling off the mats is a great way to make gold though... I'm thinking the Easy which costs only 3 stamina would be the way to go. You can make 2-3k easy from a 9 stamina run.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
There must be a bug with daily events. I just did normal mode and it said I got 2900 gil per round. When I got back to the main screen I had 150gil.

Z3M0G

Tried the first FF VII mission on Elite. Got my ass handed to me because I didn't predict the tail coming up. Seems like it's every 3 attacks? I should be able to get it down next time. Shame it takes so much stamina to try.

What level are your guys?

There must be a bug with daily events. I just did normal mode and it said I got 2900 gil per round. When I got back to the main screen I had 150gil.

I think that was XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom