• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

That is one way to do it, good luck finding that rw, through Reddit I suppose, but I find them to be hit or miss. My setup examples were more to teach for future battles than to just hit an instant win button four rounds in a row. I am biased against using osbs for rws and more towards utility and bursts, frankly. To each his own.

Well Rydia OSB should do it just the same (it's also holy), and i posted the code above :)

That is one way to do it, good luck finding that rw, through Reddit I suppose, but I find them to be hit or miss. My setup examples were more to teach for future battles than to just hit an instant win button four rounds in a row. I am biased against using osbs for rws and more towards utility and bursts, frankly. To each his own.

You have native wall don't you? Some of us aren't as blessed. I could use plenty of great strategy if I had native wall. Glad I was able to not use wall as I'm sick of using it as a RW and with my setup it wasn't a winning strategy so I had to go to something else.

If you were in my situation...you'd do the same.

You have native wall don't you? Some of us aren't as blessed. I could use plenty of great strategy if I had native wall. Glad I was able to not use wall as I'm sick of using it as a RW and with my setup it wasn't a winning strategy so I had to go to something else.

If you were in my situation...you'd do the same.

The poster I was responding to was asking about the CID mission for IV, no on has native wall for that! ;)

Thank you all! I combined all your strategies into one, and even used a Gaffer as my RW ;)

PFMnS69.png
o9blpeW.png
F4HIGXF.png
Neither clean nor comfortable, but got the job done!

True. He also asked for help beating it. I gave him the best possible solution. You quoted me on how thats chessing it with no better solution.

Maybe I'm alone on this, but when someone is looking for advice on a cm, I assume they can handle mastery with a mixed team and are looking specifically for options within the realm.

Thank you all! I combined all your strategies into one, and even used a Gaffer as my RW ;)

good work! The narrowest victories are always the most satisfying!

I beat FFIX for the first time today. When the final cutscene started, the music took me out of the moment. I know that it was originally from there, but after 2 years of FFRK it felt so weird to hear the relic pull theme. I unconsciously started waiting for an explosion of light to appear.

Oh hey, I helped! YAY! ^__^

How much damage did my RW do, btw? I could set him up with an RS weapon instead, but I figured that the holy boost from his fully augmented OSB would be stronger.

Maybe I'm alone on this, but when someone is looking for advice on a cm, I assume they can handle mastery with a mixed team and are looking specifically for options within the realm.

The team he posted initially was slightly worse than the team I beat it with. I told him how I beat it and that he could too...especially with native holy sword. For some reason, you had a problem with this strategy.

Oh hey, I helped! YAY! ^__^

How much damage did my RW do, btw? I could set him up with an RS weapon instead, but I figured that the holy boost from his fully augmented OSB would be stronger.

Yes thanks, it was very helpful! 99,999 when both Full Break and Armor Breakdown were up. It helps that Cecils weapon gives +Holy damage!

Wazzy

Banned
Rubicante 160 and 200 down. Definitely an easy fight which I'm happy with. Going to clear a few more elites and then I'll do the Ultimates.

Here's my Rydia after pumping her full of Rosetta Stones and Scarletites

zDdcljGl.png

My guess is that if I were fully augmented it would be about 715. There's still room for improvement if I were to fully augment the Radiant Robe (and get 2 more of them to enhance it further. Guessing I could get up to 800 MAG with all that stuff.

friz898

In ref to the instant win button.

I don't go to the trouble of reading how to break fights in this game or having to win by doing 15 steps a particular way in a 20 step strategy. I stay away from the final Nightmare battles for this reason. It goes against the nostalgic bring your 3-5 herores to the battle, with a knight, dps, whm, and blm, and play smart enough to kill the boss. So therefore those battles aren't fun to me.

But if they put Overstrike in the game -- there is no trick or glitch, or way it's being exploited against what the developers foresaw -- therefore I use that.

So in other words, if I can do two 99,999 hits on Dark Knight thanks to Cecil or Cid holy overstrikes, you better believe I'm going to take down 2/3's of his life as soon as buffs and breakdowns are done.

I don't feel dirty, as if it were cheating, too-easy, instant-win, or what have you when they have bosses that ignore defense or resist stats and can do 2-3 group attacks a round. Pretty much any turn-based battle in Final Fantasy where you can't keep a character alive with 1 healer/white-mage between turns (exception: instant KO skills) is completely broken and goes against any normal Final Fantasy fight.

If it wasn't a f2p mobile game, then it might be very different.

Just sharing thoughts, no FFRK soapbox/drama here.

friz898

Here's my Rydia after pumping her full of Rosetta Stones and Scarletites

zDdcljGl.png

My guess is that if I were fully augmented it would be about 715. There's still room for improvement if I were to fully augment the Radiant Robe (and get 2 more of them to enhance it further. Guessing I could get up to 800 MAG with all that stuff.

I'm aware that stat caps exist, but at the time I read about them, probably around a year ago, I wasn't anywhere near hitting them. When you guys were talking about the 393? attack cap, I was kinda suddenly-sad as I think I hit that on 2-3 characters every event with my gear+synergy. I really should read up on all the stat caps, because I'm taking groups into fights currently where the tank has 500+ defense, 2 of the melees having 500-600 atk, mages with 500-600 mag, and healers with 450-500 mind. Oh and they usually all have 350-450 resist.

I wonder just how much I'm wasting here since I could wear a higher defense gear with a lot less mag if I'm already way past the cap, etc.

Unrelated, other than talking about synergy. Cid has replaced my Edward as my Support4 breakdown guy on FFIV events/dungeons. So glad to have Cid. I'm surprised he's a support person. In the original game, he was a high-hp, somewhat high-dmg, low defense, low accuracy fighter who had innate libra. But my level 67 Cid had much higher stats on HP/Def/Resist than my level 80 Edward.

Edit: Oh and cpp, I broke Echo based on your recommendation. I didn't read up on it before doing so, but looks like just 40% (moderate?) stat bonus? You recommend that over Sorceress RM4 (much more blm mage dmg) or one of the "much more ____ element dmg" rune materias? -- Currently I almost always use Haste on my healer, and Sorceress or Spira Savior on my Magic DPS.

I'm aware that stat caps exist, but at the time I read about them, probably around a year ago, I wasn't anywhere near hitting them. When you guys were talking about the 393? attack cap, I was kinda suddenly-sad as I think I hit that on 2-3 characters every event with my gear+synergy. I really should read up on all the stat caps, because I'm taking groups into fights currently where the tank has 500+ defense, 2 of the melees having 500-600 atk, mages with 500-600 mag, and healers with 450-500 mind. Oh and they usually all have 350-450 resist.

I wonder just how much I'm wasting here since I could wear a higher defense gear with a lot less mag if I'm already way past the cap, etc.

Unrelated, other than talking about synergy. Cid has replaced my Edward as my Support4 breakdown guy on FFIV events/dungeons. So glad to have Cid. I'm surprised he's a support person. In the original game, he was a high-hp, somewhat high-dmg, low defense, low accuracy fighter who had innate libra. But my level 67 Cid had much higher stats on HP/Def/Resist than my level 80 Edward.

Edit: Oh and cpp, I broke Echo based on your recommendation. I didn't read up on it before doing so, but looks like just 40% (moderate?) stat bonus? You recommend that over Sorceress RM4 (much more blm mage dmg) or one of the "much more ____ element dmg" rune materias? -- Currently I almost always use Haste on my healer, and Sorceress or Spira Savior on my Magic DPS.

Devotion is 20% MAG, and Echo is 15% MAG. For the Sorceress RM, are you talking about Sorceress's Vow (Rinoa RM4)? It's 1.25x Black Magic damage.

So it's all situational. The formula for magic damage is (MAG^1.15) * Sqrt(MAG/RES).

The multiplier just goes on the beginning. So we can actually put this into an equation and see which one comes out on top. We want to see if15% MAG is better than 1.25x damage, so we'll use a ? instead of a > or < sign.

(1.15MAG)^1.15 * Sqrt(1.15MAG/RES) ? 1.25 * (MAG^1.15) * Sqrt(MAG/RES)

1.15^1.15 * (MAG^1.15) * Sqrt(1.15) * Sqrt(MAG/RES) ? 1.25 * (MAG^1.15) * Sqrt(MAG/RES)

All of the stuff cancels out, and you get:

1.15^1.15 * Sqrt(1.15) ? 1.25

1.1743 * Sqrt(1.15) ? 1.25

1.2593 ? 1.25

Since the left side is greater, it means the +MAG RM is stronger, no matter what the enemy's resistance is.

That's not the only advantage though. Rinoa RM4 only works for BLM damage, whereas Echo's works for SUM damage as well, so it's more versatile.

There is one other RM though, which is Shantotto's RM4 (Witch's Cookie). It's a 1.3x multiplier to BLM damage, so it will be better than Echo's. But it's still not better than Devotion, which is 20% MAG.

1.2^1.15 * Sqrt(1.2) = 1.35, which is greater than 1.3

So in terms of raw power, Vivi > Shantotto > Echo > Rinoa

But Vivi and Echo have additional advnatages in that they work for any type of magic, not just black.

friz898

Devotion is 20% MAG, and Echo is 15% MAG. For the Sorceress RM, are you talking about Sorceress's Vow (Rinoa RM4)? It's 1.25x Black Magic damage.

So it's all situational. The formula for magic damage is (MAG^1.15) * Sqrt(MAG/RES).

The multiplier just goes on the beginning. So we can actually put this into an equation and see which one comes out on top. We want to see if15% MAG is better than 1.25x damage, so we'll use a ? instead of a > or < sign.

(1.15MAG)^1.15 * Sqrt(1.15MAG/RES) ? 1.25 * (MAG^1.15) * Sqrt(MAG/RES)

1.15^1.15 * (MAG^1.15) * Sqrt(1.15) * Sqrt(MAG/RES) ? 1.25 * (MAG^1.15) * Sqrt(MAG/RES)

All of the stuff cancels out, and you get:

1.15^1.15 * Sqrt(1.15) ? 1.25

1.1743 * Sqrt(1.15) ? 1.25

1.2593 ? 1.25

Since the left side is greater, it means the +MAG RM is stronger, no matter what the enemy's resistance is.

That's not the only advantage though. Rinoa RM4 only works for BLM damage, whereas Echo's works for SUM damage as well, so it's more versatile.

There is one other RM though, which is Shantotto's RM4 (Witch's Cookie). It's a 1.3x multiplier to BLM damage, so it will be better than Echo's. But it's still not better than Devotion, which is 20% MAG.

1.2^1.15 * Sqrt(1.2) = 1.35, which is greater than 1.3

So in terms of raw power, Vivi > Shantotto > Echo > Rinoa

But Vivi and Echo have additional advnatages in that they work for any type of magic, not just black.

I'm a math guy, so I easily followed all your math. I've just been too lazy to work all that out. I forget the name of that .pdf I use to have bookmarks. I mainly used it for when I was clearing all the Elites several months ago...but anyway, the guy who maintains that pdf had all the graphs and formulas and caps for everything...

...but I guess I'm just lazy. Surprising too since I love this game so much and enjoy math.

Thanks again for doing the leg work, I guess I may use Rinoa's a little less. And yes, that was the RM I was going for. I'm not as exact as this thread or the Reddit megathreads on this game lol. I've just been keeping it simple in my head and using Rinoa's for BLM dmg and Yuna's for Summoner dmg.

As a randon aside, can you send me some of your San Francisco Bay area money so I can do some 11 pulls? I feel like I'm falling behind the power curve since I have 0 Overstrikes, no native wall, and I think 5-6 bursts.

Edit: Alright cpp, you win. I'm going to pull out some notebook paper and write out all the stat caps, order of application on buffs, what overrides and can be used in conjunction, and utilize the RMs better, and probably even bring the motes into this stuff as well. I forsee some excel list-making as well. Geez cpp, way to make a man get all nerdy, lol.

lol. Here's the document btw.

http://happypluto.com/~misterp/r/ffrk.pdf

FWIW I didn't know any of that stuff until you asked the question, and then I looked it up and did the math. So I learned something myself ;-)

As a randon aside, can you send me some of your San Francisco Bay area money so I can do some 11 pulls? I feel like I'm falling behind the power curve since I have 0 Overstrikes, no native wall, and I think 5-6 bursts.

lol. gitgud! Seriously though, don't follow my example. I'm not a good role model when ti comes to this stuff. Don't be like me.

thedan001

I'm probably LTTP for Mote dungeon CM clears, just cleared all except FFVIII, which I will attempt in the next few days.

FFII CM mote was probably my most challenging fight I've played on FFRK, it was way harder than Torment CM clears for me :s

The challenge: CM clear for FFII Mote dungeon with a team of levels 65/64/50/52/52

SB's used were Firion BSB, Maria BSB, Minwu SSB, and Leila hastega SB

My strat? Firion sleep adds (lol?) while rest of team did their usual roles. I tried many strategies and different set ups, and this one got me the win after several attempts.

Thank you for giving Firion 1* black magic!

EDIT: Yes, I know I could've ran this team in exp daily but I have a backlog of characters I need to level so my FFII team didnt make the cut besides Firion and Maria.

qsll1Uhl.png

DRtf13tl.png

PBsCCZ7l.png

I decided to finally try out FFV tonight, after beating IX earlier today, and am really loving the game so far. FFRK is the reason I got V in the first place. RNG kept granting me with Faris relics to the point where she was always on my team for months.

To get a different take on the characters, I'm running Faris as a Knight, Lenna as a Monk, Galuf as a Mage and Bartz as a Thief.

WarAdept

The Blue Planet U+ CM

One shot this. My IV gear is good (not exceptional, no bursts, just SSB's), and I figured that Dark Cecil would be fairly AoE happy come last phase. Double healer always pulls though when lacking in medicas or any good SB's for CM's. Also helps with sticking that Slowga instead of relying on Tempo Flurry.

Kain was doing more damage with Lightning Dive than Cecil with Saint's Cross. Thank you Agrias' Shield.

FTcixgF.jpg

The Blue Planet U++

He got off a Nightmare Megaflare in the end, because I was being paranoid about VoF/Shout dropping off. Probably could've killed him before he reduced everyone's HP to 1. The ATK soft cap being raised is great.

qdvB351.jpg

Rubenov

Welp, I don't think I'll be able to beat Ifrit this time around. His Meteor hits my team for 3 - 4k a piece through Wall and ProShellga, and he likes to spam those.

I completed all the other mote dungeons. I hope these come back in the future; I'll be ready to take my revenge.

Balphon

Aren't VII relics pretty much awful overall?

There are a few good ones on there.

They tend to suffer at points for being at the front of the progression. E.g. Cloud's first BSB is relatively bad at this point, but his second BSB is ridiculous and not far off.

I'll probably try the VII banner. The only dupe for me would be Red XIII's magic comb, the rest of my VII synergy is antiques like the Buster Sword and Guard Stick.

I decided to finally try out FFV tonight, after beating IX earlier today, and am really loving the game so far. FFRK is the reason I got V in the first place. RNG kept granting me with Faris relics to the point where she was always on my team for months.

To get a different take on the characters, I'm running Faris as a Knight, Lenna as a Monk, Galuf as a Mage and Bartz as a Thief.

It's my favourite of the pre-3D era i think. So much replayability with the jobs, and the cast is very charming yet also concise - IV and VI, whilst fantastic, both had a bit of bloat with characters.

Knowing my luck, I'll pull my third First Fusion and hate my life.

I have a lot of these and the risk of pulling something not great is pretty high. I might pass on this one.

3/25, I'm gonna pull!

Here's a thought: how would you all feel if the game added a new difficulty for the story dungeons where you could only use characters from that realm?

I feel like so much of this game is dictated by who you have relics for. I pretty much just stick to my kick-ass A team because of all their relics.

Rubenov

LOL I beat Ifrit.

I was trying to stick to Dr. Mog's advice of using magic only since he had a "very high defense", but my mage team kept getting wrecked.

Switched to my TG Cid-led physical team just for funsies and ended up beating him on the first try.

All mote dungeons are complete!

Top Bottom