• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

beat the CM finally. Fuck those motherfuckers. I had to use Peridot's 648 ATK Edgar OSB, but even then it took many S/Ls. My final set up was:

Balthier Lv. 80
- Weapon: Arcturus
- RM: Master Sniper
- Ability 1: Blind Shell R4
- Ability 2: Full Charge R2
- Soul Breaks: S-85 Cyclotrone (OSB), Inferno (SSB)

Basch Lv. 80
- Weapon: Saintly Excalibur
- RM: Truthseeker
- Ability 1: Draw Fire R5
- Ability 2: Retaliate R5
- Soul Breaks: Ruin Impedent (SSB)

Fran Lv. 80
- Weapon: Perseus Bow
- RM: Mako Might
- Ability 1: Full Break R2
- Ability 2: Powerchain R2
- Soul Breaks: Gaze of the Void (BSB)

Ashe Lv. 80
- Weapon: Wizard Rod
- RM: can't even rmemeber
- Ability 1: Stop R5
- Ability 2: Ultima Weapon R1
- Soul Breaks: None

Penelo Lv. 80
- Weapon: Don't Remember
- RM: Mako Might
- Ability 1: Protectga R4
- Ability 2: Curaja R4
- Soul Breaks (Evanescence: BSB)

RW: Edgar OSB with 648 ATK

I tried a bunch of different setups on this, but I found that penelo with Protectga reduced incoming damage more than Multi-Break.

I'm using Basch here as my RW summoner because he has +30% damage from Truthseeker. I started off my first few attempts by just going full into damage, but each hit of OSB was only doing about 40k, even with Gaze of the Void up, and it wasn't enough to bring them down so I would get overwhelmed.

After about 10 S/Ls I finally decided that I was going to have to use the "easy" phase where they do mostly single target attacks to whittle down each of their HPs about 20-30%.

So I opened with Basch using Draw Fire / Retaliate. Given how quickly they attack here you can do a shit ton of damage through Retaliate, enough to guarantee that whichever enemy you target will be dead after the 2nd OSB, and maybe even after the first OSB.

Balthier would start by blinding the Pumpkin Star, and Ashe would spam Stop against the Dark guy on almost every turn.

From there I jsut tried to spread out my damage until each of them was down to ~80%.

Right before using my RW summons I would have Basch use Ruin Impedent (about 25k holy damage) against the dark mandragora to ensure he would be dead after the summons.

Finally I would hit Gaze of the Void and then try to get off 2 RW summons (both by Basch)

by that time Balthier's SB gauge was ready to go, so whichever ones were still standing, I used his OSB against the one with the most HP to take him out ASAP.

At this point Penelo had built up quite a bit of SB gauge so I was just hitting Evanescence on every turn to recover from the Ultimate Ram Spam.

Still took about 10 more S/Ls but finally got it.

Pejo

Quick question guys, still trying to beat these mandragora.

I pick Edgar OSB, and he has a gun equipped, and I'm going to be using it on Cecil, who has a sword equipped.

Which +DMG materia do I want to use? +Gun damage or +Sword damage to get the most out of the RW?

Ahnez

Quick question guys, still trying to beat these mandragora.

I pick Edgar OSB, and he has a gun equipped, and I'm going to be using it on Cecil, who has a sword equipped.

Which +DMG materia do I want to use? +Gun damage or +Sword damage to get the most out of the RW?

RW are not affected by the summoner, so, unfortunately, the materia won't increase its power

edit: Or does it? I remember there were reports long ago about them working. But many simply couldn't replicate it

edit2: Did a small search, but there's not much to find.. But if it works, you have to match your own weapon, not the RW's

Not sure if me considering not beating this CM(would be a first) is a testament of how much bullshit the fight is or of me slowly growing tired of the game...

Rubenov

How godlike will be the banner today in terms of sheer power and future proofability?

Very meh.

Cid's BSB is Tier 1... but Aerith's USB is mid-tier I'd say from the upcoming USB line up. I rate this banner as a pull if resources abundant or lacking synergy.

MrDaravon

100-gem pull was a bust, but very happy that I can grab Minfilia's MC3 now, she's a regular in most of my top parties since I have her BSB and SSB.

One day I will get a FF7 Medica and/or BSB. One day.

The game really wants me to use Cid. I got his BSB, SSB1, and SSB2. Also got Sephiroth's glove. So 4/11 in total. Only doing 1 pull, need to save.

Shadow780

100-pull got Barret's penta-break SSB, which is awesome.

Still hasn't gotten any really good VII relics despite it being the most frequented event title.

Ahnez

Anniversary site is up.

23 days until it.

edit: "23 days until the 2nd annivevrsary..."

lol DeNA

edit 2: The quiz minigame is actually very fun

Got 9 right on my first try

evangd007

Beat those vile weeds with my ragtag bunch of mages!

RW: Raines BSB

Vaan - 60 - Armor Breakdown/Sleep Buster - BSB
Larsa - 60 - Protectga/Curaja - Hastega Medica
Edea - 80 - Chain Firaga/Confuse - Imperil Dark
Papa - 65 - Ruinga/Stopga - Ley Lines
Alph - 70 - Blindga/Valefor - BSB

Many a reset to get all those debuffs to stick before someone died to a headbutt, but I have my second MC3.

Ahnez

Managed to solo Apocalypse Demon Wall, on my last chance too (ie. my last available Raines RW)

Turn 1 Eviscerator causing 7k+ per hit was the worst, I lost count on how many times I SLed until all 5 survived the first turn.

My party was

Tyro - Power BD/Slowga. Wall/OSB (lol), Dr. Mog's Teachings
Y'shtola - Curaja/Protectga. BSSB/Wall, +20% MND Materia
Ashe - (Things she never used). BSSB, Devotion
Ramza - Full Break/Mental BD. Shout, Mako Might
Celes - Banishing Strike/Esuna. BSSB, Battleforged

Cid Raines RW

Slowga never failed, and Ashe only got silenced once, and only Ysh got stopped, but since her mind is so high, it lasted for less than one second. Celes and Tyro never got hit by any status. And it wasted multiple turns using Annul on Ashe
Ramza got stop-locked midway, though

I followed a strategy I found on Reddit and was able to get CM mastery.

Strategy:
- Balthier sleeps the 5th enemy and then confuses the 1st. Refresh statuses as need be.
- Penelo alternates between her dances, starting with the Power one. I cast her SSB Medica once, mid-battle, but a shared medica should suffice.
- Ashe keeps the 3rd / middle enemy stopped and cures the party otherwise.
- Vayne blinds the 4th enemy, then MMs the 2nd and casts the RW on the same one. He spends the rest of the fight AoEing w/ Command 2 and refreshing the RW.
- Gabranth defends T1 and then waits for SB bar to fill from tanked hits. When full, he casts Shared Protectga SB then refreshes Draw Fire and alternates between Curaja and Defending.

The fight wasn't particularly difficult, but boy was it certainly frustrating because of how much RNG is involved in status procs landing. I think it took me 5 or 6 S/Ls. On the winning try, I had all 4 statuses applied on their first attempts and was able to keep them locked down the majority of the battle. The deaths seen in the final picture all happened at the very end, seconds before my last attack landed to end the battle.

I feel like I always get the best results when I randomly decide to pull, rather than it being something I had planned on.

According to the FFRK Facebook page, over 100 pieces of Mythril are up for grabs as part of the 2nd Anniversary celebration.

https://www.facebook.com/FinalFantasyRecordKeeper/posts/1406971439374461

After reading this, I decided "Hey, this banner has a Hyper Break and two awesome EnWind BSBs, may as well pull!"

Results:
o4vrcAs.png
(Prism Rod was a dupe, making for a nice Mage synergy rod)

I don't have a Hastega for 7 and didn't luck into Cloud's insane BSB, but I got damn near everything else I could want / need for future 7 CMs. Maybe I could even take on my first Torment dungeon when they return.

Zack w/ Imperil Wind BSB + Cid w/ EnWind BSB = Wind Shenanigans
Barret w/ 30% Hyper Break and 50% ATK/DEF Break SSBs = Break Stacking Machine
Aerith = Healer Extraordinaire

For the final slot:
Red XIII w/ 30% ATK/DEF/MND Boostga SSB
Yuffie w/ BSB and Clear Tranquil
Tifa w/ 35% ATK Boostga
Sephiroth w/ Sap SSB
Cloud w/ Blade Beam SSB (Useful for AoE battles?)

Thorgal

Should I bother upgrading my skills right now or save everything until I get to the high level skills like firaja?

Only reason I haven't touched it is because I have been one shoting everything so far.

friz898

I upped them as I was playing..

..but you'll probably breeze through stuff so quickly.. it may be wiser to hold off in your case.

I will say that you'll be using 4star and 5star for pretty much ever. There is only a couple skills/spells that you will permanently use that are 3 star abilities.

My answer isn't very helpful, but it's kinda hard to say since I hate to see you waste orbs, and I don't know just how fast you're breezing through content.

friz898

My 100gem pull was a 4star warrior sword from FFX. I thought I could use it, but nope, it was a dupe. I already have a Warrior sword at rank 7 from reforging.

Thus my 100gem pull trash streak continues at 6 pulls.

friz898

Maybe today will be the day I break down and beat all the Mote Dungeons and Nightmare dungeons and current Raids.

I know I can google and get reddit threads for each, but is there one particular site that has 'best strat' or whatever for each insane encounter that you crazy folks use? :)

Syntsui

Maybe today will be the day I break down and beat all the Mote Dungeons and Nightmare dungeons and current Raids.

I know I can google and get reddit threads for each, but is there one particular site that has 'best strat' or whatever for each insane encounter that you crazy folks use? :)
Yes, it's called reddit.

lol

Xetherion

Yes, the Enemy Stats and AI threads on reddit lol.

The official guide site can be too okay too but suffers from a vandalism problem these days (trolls downvote all the good guides which causes them to be auto deleted) but rarely provides more than you find on the subreddit already:
https://ffrkstrategy.gamematome.jp/
Chopsticks does very good write-ups there but usually only does so for Ultimate+ fights.

Pejo

Bastard mandragora. I still can't beat them. Got so close the last RNG-allowing attempt, but headbutt spam killed me with 2 of them alive with a sliver of health. I died inside and quit. I really want that MC3 but I might wait for an easier one. What are the chances they throw us a bone and give us a free one for Orbfest?

Shadow780

Bastard mandragora. I still can't beat them. Got so close the last RNG-allowing attempt, but headbutt spam killed me with 2 of them alive with a sliver of health. I died inside and quit. I really want that MC3 but I might wait for an easier one. What are the chances they throw us a bone and give us a free one for Orbfest?

What is your team, I was pulling my hair out too until I landed on one really good run and cleared with Metamorphose RW.

I used the Confuse / Blind Shell strategy, and S&L until Larsa landed Sleeping Strike on the bottom pumpkin the first turn.

Then just pop RW Metamorphose on Vayne (Spam Command 2) and Ashe (Command 2 and then Bahamut) until they are dead.

MrDaravon

Been super busy lately but just now sitting down and figuring out where I'm at with orbs/crafting and whatnot and half planning mythril around anniversary etc. I'm sure my googling is failing me, but is there a reddit post or anything that lays out good upcoming abilities to keep an eye out for in Global in terms of stuff actually worth honing? The last time I updated my personal listing of stuff to hone/craft before it hit Global it was only up to date through the last of the twin spellblades we got a few weeks ago.

On a directly related note are Dash and Slash, Rapid Fire, Smoldering Fire and Raging Storm worth honing? I'm seeing some mixed opinions on Rapid Fire (mostly veering towards no over Thief Strike which I already have honed anyway) but I'm not sure on the other ones. Smoldering Fire seems solid but I don't have any really notable Ninja character SBs (unless you want to count OK with BSB and Tyro with Wall) so I don't typically use Ninja skills outside of off the wall CM/Nightmare conditions. I DO have Thancred's Air Knife that do more wind attack damage along with Faris's SSB that weakens enemy resistance to wind so that makes Dash and Slash appealing but I don't know how situational that is. Same thing for Raging Storm except it's even a bit more niche in my case with my current wind gear.

With my current orb situation, orbfest coming up and Daily challenges coming soonish I'll probably wind up honing those three anyway, but I would like to make sure there's not any crazy abilities coming to global that I should make sure to plan for ASAP when they release.

MrDaravon

Literally every single time I go into multiplayer and I DON'T bring Tyro with Wall and OK with BSB we utterly fail because people are incompetent. Every. Single. Time.

I still can't even get the 160 Demon Wall done lol

Edit: I finally found an amazing group for the 200 Demon Wall, at 1% health with literally 6 SBs/attacks queued where any one of them would have killed it it managed to put all 8 people to sleep then did Demon Rush to kill us. I have never come so close to throwing my phone in my life. Between this and literally over an hour of S/L'ing and still not being able to beat the Mandragoras I am starting to question what I am doing.

Saerk

RW are not affected by the summoner, so, unfortunately, the materia won't increase its power

edit: Or does it? I remember there were reports long ago about them working. But many simply couldn't replicate it

edit2: Did a small search, but there's not much to find.. But if it works, you have to match your own weapon, not the RW's

Some things do actually affect the RW. Row of the summoner, Record Dive boosts on both the summoner and RW, and the record materia used. Using a 30% sword damage or 30% poison damage with Edgar could work. I don't think row matters for him. I believe it is long ranged.

Rubenov

Edit: I finally found an amazing group for the 200 Demon Wall, at 1% health with literally 6 SBs/attacks queued where any one of them would have killed it it managed to put all 8 people to sleep then did Demon Rush to kill us. I have never come so close to throwing my phone in my life. Between this and literally over an hour of S/L'ing and still not being able to beat the Mandragoras I am starting to question what I am doing.

OMG that was amazing.

Glad you didn't throw your phone. Have you crafted Affliction Break? Even two uses spaced apart can save you a lot of headache and pain. Also Slowga.

MrDaravon

OMG that was amazing.

Glad you didn't throw your phone. Have you crafted Affliction Break? Even two uses spaced apart can save you a lot of headache and pain. Also Slowga.

I can't remember if that group had Affliction Break or not, I've been having a significantly harder time than usual clearing this Raid with randoms. That particular run failing was extra frustrating because it was a good solid group with wall, 2 boostegas and 2 BSB healers, we did a pretty good job keeping him slowed and we never came even close to dying we just got kinda fucked a few times by sleep mostly. Going to have to give that and the last two FF12 battles (motherfucking Mandragoras) a go again in a bit since I don't know that I'll have the time to sit down and focus on them tomorrow before they go away.

Literally every single time I go into multiplayer and I DON'T bring Tyro with Wall and OK with BSB we utterly fail because people are incompetent. Every. Single. Time.

I still can't even get the 160 Demon Wall done lol

I had to hone a bunch of new abilities for the mandragoras. Draw Fire / Retaliate + Sleep + Confuse + Blind + Stop is crucial.

After having a successful demon's wall run with randoms this morning I will leave my 2 cents.

1: having two people with ways to heal status is necessary, even if it's just a high honed sauna you need two. (I ran my across with banishing strike and esuna, with Maria's song and indomitable blade).

2: you need a Vaan with BSB for triple breaking defense. He also has the ability to double up on ways to slow the wall by adding tempo flurry to the the mages with slowga.

3: gotta have a boostga and someone with SG/SS. Even with double BSBs and a way to boost ATk/mag you'be got to the best up on everyone quickly and a bad couple of rounds of whiffing slows or getting wailed may need that extra boostga. All the physical attacks at the beginning of the fight need SG/SS to tank. At the end I think some skip buffs... but that's why you have power breaks...

4: don't be afraid to spam The SB bar when he gets close if you are about to kill him. Vaan BSB and the instant cast saved our bacon probably at the last second. That being said, TGCid's stuff takes a LOoooooooooOOONG time to charge.

Syntsui

I did the Wall with Fran's BSB, the multiple breaks + wall was imperative. Also, two healers and someone with Ultra Cure or Esuna .

Definitely the hardest boss since I started playing seriously, loved it.

Kenai

I can help with wall too if needed. I have several characters that would be good for it, been bringing in WoL and either Y'sh or Eiko on my clears.Y'sh BSSb is capable of backfiring though so I usually bring Eiko if someone has a Tyro.

MrDaravon

2 hours later I finally have 200 Demon Wall and the Mandragoras down, Jesus Christ. Demon Wall was annoying but I finally got a good group after another 2 or 3 attempts and got it. The Mandragora fight was possibly the most frustrating fight I've ever had in this game, over a few different sessions I probably spent almost 3 hours on S/L'ing it. I have the worst luck with RNG, I had two attempts in a row where all 4 of my Sleep casts missed for example :(.

Anniversary can't get here soon enough; I'm already up to 167 mythril which is more than I was expecting going in and I know we're going to be getting a bunch more running up to and during the event, so hoping to get lucky on pulls there. Still lacking RS and/or Medicas in a few realms, so there's a few Mote Dungeon CMs I haven't done, and I still haven't done the last two Nightmare bosses (I really need Alph or another Summoner BSB for Valigarmanda and I've just been too lazy to even look at the last one) and I haven't even touched the Torment Dungeons yet. Also sitting on orb stockpiles waiting to start crafting stuff once the orbfest hits and I also need to catch back on up leveling characters. Can't wait!

Kain

So I blew all my mythril in the VII banner because fuck me I'm stupid but at least I got what I wanted: Aerith's USB, now I can do CMs here too.

The other prizes were ALL of Cid's SBs, ALL: Shout, the goggles and his BSB. Another monster for my wind team lol

And Barret's hyper break too. Can't say I'm not glad to have a strong team now in VII.

Thorgal

quick question :

will realm dungeons eventually start giving things like great fire orbs or are those from special events and raids only?

Speaking of raids , are all of them end game raids for high geared characters or occasionally also low level ones ?

Lastly should i be running the XP event daily multiple times to level characters ?

quick question :

will realm dungeons eventually start giving things like great fire orbs or are those from special events and raids only?

Speaking of raids , are all of them end game raids for high geared characters or occasionally also low level ones ?

Lastly should i be running the XP event daily multiple times to level characters ?

Yes realm dungeons give greater and major orbs. Just not 6* crystals

Top Bottom