• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

MiTYH

Minor achievement time!

So now that nightmare dungeons are here to stay, I figured I should probably, you know, start them. Only been playing the game for... 9 months or so.

I beat Ultima! Wasn't as bad as I feared, which is funny because many moons ago I tried and failed the easiest one. So far I'm 3/5ths done with Crushdown. I tried Curada but got curbstomped baaaad on Lich (all the others are done), so for now I'll just poke my way around these until I reach a wall and need some real help.

But yay, personal achievement!

Cm down, that was a bitch.

Rw deployment tactics

Ashe Alexander r4 ultimate weapon r3- Alex for the medals bsb only used for the personal faith
Balthier blind and confuse shots, aoe fire ssb
Fran sleep buster wrath bsb mako might
Larsa protecga ultra cure double white magic rm no sb
Penelo curaja power breakdance sb medica/boostga dr mog

Lots of sloads but got the job done and mastered. Deployment tactics really did some nice damage for me. Hate these bastards. Also done with the raids. Back to dailies.

Thorgal

i am now in that weird spot where my stamina is not high enough to complete a realm dungeon in one go .

too stingy to sacrifice a mythrill for it though

Balphon

Gabranth SSB made the CM fairly easy since it was good for about 25k AoE damage and 40k on the dark-weak one. Helped prevent them from being in critical long; they all died on the summon after it.

I found that the MVP for the CM is Balthier's SSB, Inferno. That thing is fucking RIDICULOUS. I even have his OSB but was using Inferno instead.

Even with that though, I couldn't beat the CM, lol. Was killing them so fast that I'd get like 4 Ultimate Rams at once with no mitigation.

I managed to kill 3 of them but then the Screams and Ultimate Rams did me in.

I found that the MVP for the CM is Balthier's SSB, Inferno. That thing is fucking RIDICULOUS. I even have his OSB but was using Inferno instead.

Even with that though, I couldn't beat the CM, lol. Was killing them so fast that I'd get like 4 Ultimate Rams at once with no mitigation.

I managed to kill 3 of them but then the Screams and Ultimate Rams did me in.

That was my issue as well at first, everything hitting at once and a deluge of aoe attacks. have to get two of them locked down by sleep/confuse/dark to mitigate that I found,

That was my issue as well at first, everything hitting at once and a deluge of aoe attacks. have to get two of them locked down by sleep/confuse/dark to mitigate that I found,

I could Blind the Topstalk guy, but after that I didn't have anyone who could use the right debuffs. I have Balthier, Basch, Ashe, Fran, and Penelo. Penelo has to have Curaja and Protectga, so i was using Dark Buster on Balthier. I don't see any way to fit a Confuse into this team, and wouldn't it just wear off as soon as I hit him anyway?

I wish one of them could be Paralyzed, because then I could bring Quetzlcoatl

I could Blind the Topstalk guy, but after that I didn't have anyone who could use the right debuffs. I have Balthier, Basch, Ashe, Fran, and Penelo. Penelo has to have Curaja and Protectga, so i was using Dark Buster on Balthier. I don't see any way to fit a Confuse into this team, and wouldn't it just wear off as soon as I hit him anyway?

I wish one of them could be Paralyzed, because then I could bring Quetzlcoatl

That is the rub, any physical aoe will wake or unconfuse the enemies, which is why I used summons to deal most of the damage until then end. I believe that confuse shot will not come off if you hit again with another round, not sure on that.

That is the rub, any physical aoe will wake or unconfuse the enemies, which is why I used summons to deal most of the damage until then end. I believe that confuse shot will not come off if you hit again with another round, not sure on that.

Which is funny because they can hit you all fucking day long with Ultimate Ram and it doesn't wake up your sleeped guys.

Finally beat those little pumpkin brats after a million tries (it really pays to have native SG and shout) and I found some great teams and beat both versions of the Demon Wall! Time to relax.

Managed to clear Ultimate+ Demon Wall. Went a lot smoother than Apocalypse attempts (wall+aoe def buff+actual mitigation played a part) but I had to spend time with the old ultra cure awaking sleeping allies :*( Also I was right about my damned if you damned if you don't thoughts. I put on major sleep accessory and only I get blinded for it.

It is either a lot easier than Apocalypse or Vaan is quite a damage monster and Minfilia was pretty good too while in burst with the SSB attack boost (command hits were about 9k each, yeah I have +holy shield in XII).

Edit: Apocalypse down. Pretty close but my Minfilia got the finishing blow with a lifesiphon (she got blineded but better blind than sleep) with most of the remainder of the party confused or otherwise incapacitated. I also made the occasional controversial choice of attacking with Vanille and ignoring team mates who needed an ultra cure. We didn't have Thunder God so had to settle with Steely Swordplay, the Echo, whatever Beatrix's Burst is, dude I don't remember the name of but does a burst by throwing spears and trancendant dream as far as offense went.

I didn't have too much trouble with Apoc Demon Wall, but I brought Fran with Affliction Break / Full Breakdown / Pentabreak BSB and Orlandeau with Thunder God. Made a huge difference, he was down to 50% in just a few turns due to the the double breaks.

Kaiterra

Banned
Whoever designed Apocalypse Demon Wall should be taken out back and beaten with a shovel. How did "You don't get to take actions unless he lets you" get past the brainstorming stage?

Edit: Got it a few tries later. Affliction Break helped a lot but it was basically retrying until it decided NOT to spam Wail.

Finally beat those little pumpkin brats after a million tries (it really pays to have native SG and shout) and I found some great teams and beat both versions of the Demon Wall! Time to relax.

I beat em too without native wall and/or shout. =)

Kuja 99 Protect/Ultra Cure 6 uses. Burst Soul Break Dark
Steiner 80 Banishing Strike/Draw Fire Burst Soul Break Fire
Cait Sith 79 Minus Attack Dance/Multi Break Green Phone
Terra 90 Blindga(Topstalk...stays stuck), Quake Fire Beam SSB
Garnet 99 Faithga, Cure Divine Guardian
SSII RW

Took me like 10-15 tries to perfect my attack. Cait Sith dropped towards the end but still got mastery. Broke Sephiroth with the MCIII. Then I'll break Vanille next if I can get VII's. Have Kuja, Garnet, Squall at 99 and Quistis and Terra at 90.

Time to attempt the dragon. Since it's weak to fire, I think I stand a good chance.

WarAdept

Blood Reign U+ CM

Don't have any meaningful SB's for XII (this party had none), so I shamelessly ripped off the status infliction strat. Even then, as you can see, all it takes is one bad RNG roll and shit goes from 0-100 instantly. I initially tried a melee party with lots of highly honed ST abilities, but AoE reigns supreme when you don't have a native Hastega/Boostga for a realm. Probably could've done it if I honed up my Bio Grenade/Tornado Strike, but that's extra resources not needed as I already have the means to spam my way through their HP (summons).

Don't know how many S/L, but it was a good amount. Worst fight ever...

qgOrbbg.jpg

Blood Reign U++

Not particularly threatening. Standard tank and spank (with a dispel thrown in).

UITtyfY.jpg

Kenai

I guess i just got lucky or something cause I CM'd the Mandy party first try. with no deaths, no S/Ls either Only one BSSB but quite a few SSBs so i could use RW Wall.

Basch with Att/Def buff and party Blink
Penelo with Medica/Attackk buff
Larsa with Medica/Haste
Vayne with BSSB
Gabranth with EnDark and Dark Aoe/Interrupt

I don't think any of them were lvl 80 except Basck. I know Penelo and Vayne are 79 and Larsa is 65. Gabranth is 70...something.

I equipped mostly anti-Blind and anti Silence stuff and just wore them down, didn't bother with any status effects on them outside of removing their Haste n stuff with Banishing Strike and having Penelo Multi-break..Lifesiphon'd or wanded anyone sleeping or confused. By the time the RW Walls were done there were only 1-2 left and that damage was very manageable with 2 healers.

One shot the Ult++ too with team Holy + Special Guest Yda. Got a bit hairy at the end and WoL went down cause I was dumb and refreshed SS2 instead of using Asylum, but whatever. Mastered regardless.

Mastered Hydro too. 11 seconds left on clock. Kuja fell in this one near the end. Irvine in for Cait Sith with Exeter. Perfect storm for last boss. Kuja, Steiner, Terra DPS machines with Dark and Fire. Meltdown saw it's first meaningful use.

Beat on second try. Irvine got Biogad in the first.

2 last dungeon masters in a row. Tune
in next week to see if I can make it 3.

Rubenov

Some multiplayer observations from playing through the night:

- There are two key abilities for this fight: Slowga and Affliction Break. Players with these need to be good with timing, and responsive to what's going on. I saw a couple folks with Slowga cast Protectga and other shit like that while Demon Wall was hasted. Big mistake. Prioritize that slow! Same thing with Affliction Break.... a recast at the appropriate time is worth more than almost anything else you can do.

- Leave Asylum, Chant, and anything that places a bubble over players back in the vault! We snagged defeat from the Jaws of victory when my TG Cid was put to sleep, and someone casted Asylum right afterwards and I couldn't smack him to wake him up because of the dang bubble. The team had no DPS without the Cid... a bunch of healers and supports.

- If you have a Ramza with Shout, you should open up the fight with it.... any other action you take has less efficient / effective results. Pretty much the same with OK. Even Affliction Break can wait till after the Hastega / Boostga. This fight is a race against time as soon as it begins. Your team should be going fast while the Demon is going slow. This is key.

These three points are the biggest issues I've noticed. I'll continue to mess around with different teams, fun fun.

Edit: Forgot one. If you have Curaja and Ultra Cure, why in the world would you bring Curaja instead of Ultra Cure?? I'd argue an Ultra Cure with 4 uses is more valuable than a Curaja with 6. You can heal that confused waifu with Curaja but she will remain confused. Ultra Cure fixes that for ya. This seems like basic stuff, yet a lot of people get it wrong.

CM finally complete! Man, that was a huge pain in the ass for me but glad it is all over.

My team:

Balthier(65) - Confuse Shell, Blind Shell, RM: Ace Striker
Basch(65) - Lifesiphon, Mirror of Equity, RM: Battleforged
Fran(65) - Dismissal, Shadowbind, RM: Mako Might
Penelo(65) - Ultra Cure, Multi Break, RM: Dr. Mog's Teachings
Larsa(65) - Curada, Curaja, RM: Healer's Prayer II

Used this team for the Ultimate and Ultimate++ too, worked out nicely. Fran's BSB was great but Basch's BSB was my main source of damage since I had to use a wall RW. Thankfully Mirror helped buff his attack a bit plus burst mode and en-holy for more BSB spam.

Why is it that anything cute in Final Fantasy is deadly? Someone mentioned that in stream yesterday as I completed this with my regular team heh.

Rubenov

CM finally complete! Man, that was a huge pain in the ass for me but glad it is all over.

My team:

Balthier(65) - Confuse Shell, Blind Shell, RM: Ace Striker
Basch(65) - Lifesiphon, Mirror of Equity, RM: Battleforged
Fran(65) - Dismissal, Shadowbind, RM: Mako Might
Penelo(65) - Ultra Cure, Multi Break, RM: Dr. Mog's Teachings
Larsa(65) - Curada, Curaja, RM: Healer's Prayer II

Used this team for the Ultimate and Ultimate++ too, worked out nicely. Fran's BSB was great but Basch's BSB was my main source of damage since I had to use a wall RW. Thankfully Mirror helped buff his attack a bit plus burst mode and en-holy for more BSB spam.

Why is it that anything cute in Final Fantasy is deadly? Someone mentioned that in stream yesterday as I completed this with my regular team heh.

Congrats, that's a fairly low-level team to beat it with. I had a similar setup except I used Vayne instead of Penelo. I had two chracters at 75, one at 73 and two at 72... and thought I may have been under leveled.

I also brute-forced it after trying the status way for too long. Basch's BSB is a great source of AoE damage and he would get the sleeping guy and the confused guy out of their statuses. I just let him loose.

evangd007

TFW you didn't level up Fujin because you only got her dagger and an AOE affliction break and physical blink would be really useful on the current U+. Besides, you only use Raines RW CMD 2 for damage anyway and oh yeah she can use Phantasm to sleep the pumpkin too.

Congrats, that's a fairly low-level team to beat it with. I had a similar setup except I used Vayne instead of Penelo. I had two chracters at 75, one at 73 and two at 72... and thought I may have been under leveled.

I also brute-forced it after trying the status way for too long. Basch's BSB is a great source of AoE damage and he would get the sleeping guy and the confused guy out of their statuses. I just let him loose.

I grinded in the Sundaily and kept them at 65 thinking I wouldn't need to go any higher for the Ultimates but man those extra levels would have helped for the CM for sure. I don't know how many times Larsa and Penelo were just pummeled to the ground in the first few turns. I was feeling particularly stubborn with this CM. What surprised me is how I had zero deaths and even got master despite not bringing any dark attacks.

*Edit* That one little tomato dude with the sunglasses was the sole survivor so he got buffed like crazy which made him die slowly. Glad he was blind!

https://youtu.be/hBiLkoznahI

What I do in jp is gold eggs until I pull a relic and gen take the character to level 65 via eggs then 80 or 99 through xp days. If you pull a bsb or above that is of high utility then maybe egg to 99 once you have their rms and sbs learned.

Pejo

Argh.. Tried bum rushing the mandragoras with a 550~ attack Edgar OSB and all of my characters using the best AOE skills they had, just couldn't make it. Got them down to about 25% health before the constant headbutts and attacking did me in.

I might try again with Locke with Mako Might and his AoE slowga SB. I think it could work if I had a way to sustain the damage.

What are the best 4* AoE skills these days? Still Bladeblitz?

Argh.. Tried bum rushing the mandragoras with a 550~ attack Edgar OSB and all of my characters using the best AOE skills they had, just couldn't make it. Got them down to about 25% health before the constant headbutts and attacking did me in.

I might try again with Locke with Mako Might and his AoE slowga SB. I think it could work if I had a way to sustain the damage.

What are the best 4* AoE skills these days? Still Bladeblitz?

Ruinga does the most damage if you have a magic user. Also various summons.

Pejo

Ruinga does the most damage if you have a magic user. Also various summons.

Hmm, this might be my time to bring out my mages. I figure if I can get 5 copies to rank 2, that gives me 4 casts x5. Either my mages or the mandragoras will (hopefully) be dead by then.

Is there a better AoE OSB than Edgar, btw? I was just using his because it was the first one I found that had AoE and the guy was equipped with some XII synergy.

With Edgar OSB you really need to work to pull out all the damage it can do. That means making sure the caster you use has a +damage RM (remember it is your equipped weapon that affects weapon equip ones the RW has no party to play so for example if the RW Edgar is using a dagger and you have a sword equipped for the +damage to work you need the + sword damage RM), all the def debuffs you can too.

The def debuffs means less attack debuffs in this context. Also the XII party might not be able to do the handy trick that made it amazing in the FFVIII U++; casting the RM back to back by having two party members on standyby one of which is under powerchain status.

Conventionally speaking it is why you might have better luck with Cid Raines because it gives def buff, mag buff and has AoE command (though you might need to use the single target one to even out HP more).

I saw all this having not attempted the fight because sounds like any approach is going to be S/L heavy.

What I do in jp is gold eggs until I pull a relic and gen take the character to level 65 via eggs then 80 or 99 through xp days. If you pull a bsb or above that is of high utility then maybe egg to 99 once you have their rms and sbs learned.
If you've not leveled up Barret you can keep a few eggs around to be bemused by his glitched up EXP curve:
qh3cemy1xfiy.jpg

What is this? I have Barrett sitting at level 50, but I didn't know his curve was broken.
Something like level ~58-~70 end up being very little or possibly negative EXP (there was one report of someone selecting to use an egg, removing it and he would still be able to level up if you could confirm using 0 eggs).

Total EXP to get to level 99 is the same for everyone so later levels take a bit longer.

Edit: Beat XII U+. Cid mission couldn't quite work out (damage gets too intense for Cid Raines RW to work...maybe a few turns beforehand or something could work) so I needed A team for vital instant medica from Vanille.

Edit: U++ down. Cid meta is bonkers. Especially when you add in in Strange Vision and Faith magic buffs on top (the attack command for strange vision comes with a dispel too which is nice). If I had planned better (had Terra use Cid RW earlier positioning her to use instant cast OSB) I may have been able to skip very weak phase but either way all it did in that phase was two Ultimate Sonic Wings and two Ultimate Fearga and never used any magic at all in the whole battle...if I'd known it wouldn't use magic I'd have not bought Divine Guardian along...

Ahnez

lol Barret

Leveled him to 65 along with 3 other characters I got SSBs for, because why not.

It doesn't save much, though.

Edit: Aand U++ down. It was a joke compared to the mandragoras

Kenai

Mote dungeons reopening are such a tease if you've completed them as they opened. Don't even have drops to be farm I believe v other than onion motes

I was happy to get several of the CMs done. III, VIII and XIII all went down. It feels good to see your band of scrubs come together and sqeak out a win (or in III's case see how OP Luneth is in general, not to mention with his BSSB vs a wind-weak boss that can be interrupted.).

I still have no II syngergy at all so not gonna bother with that.

I *might* try 10 later, my synergy there isn't super bad but it is questionable with no native Medica, boost or Haste. Well, unless you count that one free shared generic healing stick.

Finally got that stupid demon wall. Given one more turn, it would have killed us. So dumb for them to release an apocalypse boss with so many status effects it can cause.

I do think it would be nice if they would at least reset them on re-release ~_~
That would just make people who couldn't clear them the first time feel bad about missing out. Especially due to how scarce motes are. When legend materia starts to come out if one has spread the love they might start to feel bad (though it sounds like the eventually have legend missions which are like cid missions for story dungeons).

Speaking of mote dungeons there was one Turk Bombshell SB over at https://friends-ffrk.rhcloud.com/ . That RW makes the FFX Mote dungeon trivial if you can time re-casting it (had to S/L due to this :( ) because it is 100% AoE sleep vs. sleep weak boss. Good mag gear for FFX helped too (Tiny Bee, Braska's Staff, two Lullaby Rods) plus compared to when the dungeon was first released the FFX mage meta team now has Seymour in it. No having to lug Kimahri along with poison or some other way of pretending to be useful.

evangd007

I would have had U+ if tomato head didn't headbutt 2 of my units through blind. I feel like this would be a breeze if I had Mako Might so I could use both Greg's Sentinel and Papa's Ley Lines turn 1. I may replace Greg with a third mage tonight with Confuse and Chain Firaga and just try to burn down the Prince with everyone else CC'd. If that doesn't work then I'll blitz the FFVII content tomorrow night for Cloud's MC2 and start farming for Mako Might.

I finally beat the event without a hitch except for the damn Mandragoras. Has there been a boss that is more just borderline annoying than it is hard? Damn man.

I beat U++ in first try, had no big problems in multiplayer but I used a Mythril to revive once on U+ because I just couldn't be bothered to S/L ad nauseum. Fucking worth it.

I'm in the mood for some damn salad.

I've played a few bonus battles that have had really unfair amounts of damage in the opening rounds (Bahamut in an FFXIII event which I only won due to remembering I have the flames of war SB so I could RW SG) and there have been some really RNG heavy ones much earlier in the game such as the first time we fought the disciplinary committee where they could be put to sleep (we had a shared AoE SB with low chances) but Reno and Rude really got to me. Reno had turk light which confuses and pyramid which was not only an ultimate dispel but imprisoned the party member who was hit until they were hit by another attack. Considering at that time my best was usually retaliate and advance you can see why this could be bad...

Even better was it seems that the game sometimes would glitch out and Reno would just spam Pyramid and hit your entire party before you could do anything resulting in a game over (not a softlock like Japan just had with Mortibody under stop status and no HP). An FFIX boss had a similar bug where it was meant to cage one party member (preventing them from acting) but would just keep going and cage the entire party instead:
ZioHpC6l.jpg
ccTSsLWl.png

Ahnez

Reached my mythril goal yay.

Also, soloed the U+ raid, it was far more annoying than it was hard. Those turn 1 eviscerators.. Had to sl multiple times until I could get all mitigation up.

Top Bottom