• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI iOS/Android screenshots [Up: Larger]

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hey guys, I'm here with an exclusive screenshot of the Final Fantasy VII remake, exclusively for Apple iGame!

uF9Yar7.jpg

And don't forget to check out the "Forgotten Memories" DLC, which features Cloud and Tifa's son, Deathbringer Strife, as he attempts to save Midgar from Sephiroth's son, Ravendoom. It's only 800 Crysta (or $18.72.33333378 USD!)! (ONLINE CONNECTION AND CLOUD SAVING REQUIRED.)
I died at "Ravendoom" :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

eliochip

For as much of a push they're giving to their mobile strategy, you'd think they'd put more effort into these things

Gamerloid

There's 3 kind of people in this thread:

1. Those that like it
2. Those that dislike it
3. Those that dislike it and are overreacting

Are there screenshots of the world map, a battle, a town or menu yet? I'd think we seen a lot of the game with some of these reactions.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
when Squaresoft was on fire during the late 90's I was fairly convinced we would get FFVI remade along the design lines of the CG they made for the PS1 release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Apk08fgDNg

FFVI's overall design aesthetic, Amano's (& Nomura's) character designs, the bleakness of the story... damn... out of all the classic FF's (i.e. pre-FFVII), FFVI seemed like the most remake friendly as far as mass market appeal.

Video made me go back and watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT12DW2Fm9M

Sooooooooooooooooo good T_T

Sciz

Are there screenshots of the world map, a battle, a town or menu yet? I'd think we seen a lot of the game with some of these reactions.

Screenshots of that sort of stuff are likely to look worse. These two are great shots for promotional purposes because the assets are mostly unique and don't have to tile, which is where FFV completely fell apart. The UI is guaranteed to still be atrocious simply because everything has to be enormous for the touchscreen.

The only thing to look forward to are the enemy sprites, which were inexplicably excellent.

If they released this on XBL / PSN / Wii ware and it has achievements and stuff I would buy it.

Its just a shame Square hates console money.
I wonder why big name companies like Square are reluctant to release these types of games(like FF Dimensions, for instance) on as MUCH platforms as possible(which could result in, maybe, MORE buys) while smaller, Indie studios(that dwarf the big names) have no problem aiming for, not only PC and mobile, but Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft platforms? I kinda wonder if the big companies DO hate money, because it almost seems like a no brainer.

Nostalgia and rage of a childhood sensation that will never return.

I mean, most people here played FF6 as SNES FF3 on their parents' lousy CRT tv. The graphics argument is silly because it was blocky and distorted 15 years ago. People have 15 years of love and imagination making those little sprites far, far, far more expressive than anything and everything released today.

Basically, S-E could not actually release any version of FF6 today without instantaneous backlash.

This also applies to other games--look at Final Fantasy Tactics. The original version was so badly translated it often said the opposite of what happened. So there's a new version that is far clearer, and yet people STILL will say the original is better, mistakes and all.

That's just how nostalgia works.
I don't think it's purely nostalgia. I think people wouldn't mind this if the sprites were done in the style of the PSP FFI, II and IV Collection. Those sprites actually looked good. These, not so much.

I'm pretty sure if the sprites were made to look up to par with the details seen in this, more people would be content.:

screenshot_psp_final_fantasy_iv_the_complete_collection004.jpg

I wonder why big name companies like Square are reluctant to release these types of games(like FF Dimensions, for instance) on as MUCH platforms as possible(which could result in, maybe, MORE buys) while smaller, Indie studios(that dwarf the big names) have no problem aiming for, not only PC and mobile, but Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft platforms? I kinda wonder if the big companies DO hate money, because it almost seems like a no brainer.

Baffles me, baffles me, why Square never pooped out some kind of PSN version of Before Crisis: FFVII.
They could have either done a full release or nickle/dimed people with an episodic release, but it seems like it could have easily snatched up a lot of those people itching for more FFVII-related material. :/

9MkvOoI.jpg

hitsugi

Great. FFV iOS visuals. What the hell was wrong with the FFIV PSP look? Hell, if they did some rebalancing and whatnot, I wouldn't even mind the FFIV DS look.

Hopefully the enemy sprites will look good, at least they got that right with FFV iOS.

I'm not sure of why this style didn't carry over to the mobile ports D: seems to be universally preferred to the FFV and now FFVI abominations

I'm not sure of why this style didn't carry over to the mobile ports D: seems to be universally preferred to the FFV and now FFVI abominations

probably cheaper/easier, if I had to guess.
Reworked sprites in PSP FFI, II, and IV actually looked like they took some time and care.

Technically it's almost the same pixel art with more detail but Therein lies the problem. You can't emulate pixel art. It misses the point entirely. It looks terrible. soulless. It needs to be reimagined completely from the ground up or left as is. The ds ff III/IV style looks better than this, by virtue of not being some horrible cleaned up approximation of pixel art.

Are you guys serious? The one on the left looks atrocious. The iOS port is leagues ahead.

I think the point is, if you are going to update the looks, keep everything you tried to get across, graphically, and bring that to a new level rather than updating some aspects and completely forgetting others. The helmets SHOULD look shiney, as should Terra's hair. Hell, I'm having a big problem with the fuckin SNOW. Give it a little more depth with shades of blue and it would've looked nice. See, little things.

Again, I think that's why the PSP FF games sprites actually kicked ass(and looked like proper time was taken crafting them):

FF4PSP-CidSprite.png

Look at the details, dammit! Cid's goggles and helmet have shine to them. This FFVI could've had THAT! Seriously, people shouldn't settle for anything less, and Square should be better than this. Why take a step forward and then take one back?

probably cheaper/easier, if I had to guess.
Reworked sprites in PSP FFI, II, and IV actually looked like they took some time and care.

What they should've done was make FFI-VI on PSP(or continue it on to Vita, but with a similar graphic style), then port all those to iOS, PC/Steam, PSN, Wii U and XBL.

It only happens because Square fucks up basically everything these days.

This. If anything, Zapp Brannigan's "Stop exploding, you cowards!!" line best fits this situation in a non-funny way.

hitsugi

THIS THREAD.

Two screenshots that show almost nothing are getting this kind of reaction?

They show what the game looks like, and the game looks bad. Frankly it doesn't even take two screenshots; we only need to see the one with the muddled out Terra sprite to know how the rest of it is going to look.

How do you not understand this? Are you not familiar with FFV's iOS / android port?

zroid

Banned

I mean, most people here played FF6 as SNES FF3 on their parents' lousy CRT tv. The graphics argument is silly because it was blocky and distorted 15 years ago. People have 15 years of love and imagination making those little sprites far, far, far more expressive than anything and everything released today.

Basically, S-E could not actually release any version of FF6 today without instantaneous backlash.

This also applies to other games--look at Final Fantasy Tactics. The original version was so badly translated it often said the opposite of what happened. So there's a new version that is far clearer, and yet people STILL will say the original is better, mistakes and all.

Speaking as someone who actually likes the look of FFIII and IV DS remakes (which have now been ported to everything), I find this post is utter bollocks.

These smoothed sprites are completely incoherent with the backgrounds, and the colouring is way off. It's just pure laziness, and demonstrates a total lack of attention or care for a game many people cherish.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think the point is, if you are going to update the looks, keep everything you tried to get across, graphically, and bring that to a new level rather than updating some aspects and completely forgetting others. The helmets SHOULD look shiney, as should Terra's hair. Hell, I'm having a big problem with the fuckin SNOW. Give it a little more depth with shades of blue and it would've looked nice. See, little things.

Again, I think that's why the PSP FF games sprites actually kicked ass(and looked like proper time was taken crafting them):

FF4PSP-CidSprite.png

Look at the details, dammit! Cid's goggles and helmet have shine to them. This FFVI could've had THAT! Seriously, people shouldn't settle for anything less, and Square should be better than this. Why take a step forward and then take one back?
That's a good example of 16 bit goodness vs modern 2d, the problem is that 16 bit graphics were almost made pixel by pixel, now 2d artists use brushes or vectors, so everything is less detailed.
It should be noted though that more colors make smoother transitions and sometimes in certain cases a smoother transition could be wrongly perceived as less detailed.

Alvarez

Banned

Or they could just release a remaster that doesn't look like shit. Final Fantasy 1 and 2 PSP, Okami HD, Wind Waker HD, Shadow of the Colossus HD, ICO HD, God of War 1 and 2 HD--the list goes on--did it right. This remaster and Silent Hill HD did not.

Rpgmonkey

I actually kinda like the environments. Seems to do an ok job of making the smaller details more visible while keeping the "dull and dead" look of the colors and scenery, if you ask me.

This does nothing to change my negative opinion of their style for the character sprites though.

Manu

They show what the game looks like, and the game looks bad. Frankly it doesn't even take two screenshots; we only need to see the one with the muddled out Terra sprite to know how the rest of it is going to look.

How do you not understand this? Are you not familiar with FFV's iOS / android port?

xHm4vbG.jpg

I think only Terra looks "bad" in this picture. The Magiteks look great.

Also, it looks like it's daytime but it should be nighttime in that picture, that's the other problem.

Other than that? It doesn't really look bad.

All this talk about the visuals and one important thing is being overlooked: controls.

I hope they're tighter than FFV iOS's, and they give you an option to turn off 8-direction movement. Otherwise parts like this are going to be no fun at all.

RUpFx6e.png

Ourobolus

Banned
All this talk about the visuals and one important thing is being overlooked: controls.

I hope they're tighter than FFV iOS's, and they give you an option to turn off 8-direction movement. Otherwise parts like this are going to be no fun at all.

RUpFx6e.png

Eh, there's a part in FFV in the Pyramid (I think) that makes you do that, it's not that bad with touch controls. Technically the FFVI one should be better since the only way you can fall is when it switches, and not by just falling in a hole.

PK Gaming

xHm4vbG.jpg

I think only Terra looks "bad" in this picture. The Magiteks look great.

Also, it looks like it's daytime but it should be nighttime in that picture, that's the other problem.

Other than that? It doesn't really look bad.
It's kind of a problem when the game's leading character "looks bad."

If they fuck with her Esper form so help me god...

:(

Eh, there's a part in FFV in the Pyramid (I think) that makes you do that, it's not that bad with touch controls. Technically the FFVI one should be better since the only way you can fall is when it switches, and not by just falling in a hole.

I still thought that part was pretty frustrating.

Overall I thought the 8-way controls were a bad idea (except possibly on FF6's worldmap). Touchscreen controls are always a challenge to get right, but a simple 2D JRPG had no business being that annoying to navigate.

Ourobolus

Banned
I still thought that part was pretty frustrating.

Overall I thought the 8-way controls were a bad idea (except possibly on FF6's worldmap). Touchscreen controls are always a challenge to get right, but a simple 2D JRPG had no business being that annoying to navigate.

Hm. I won't deny that it should be better, but it seemed ok for me. They should definitely give you the option to turn it off though, a la Pokemon X/Y.

I think it's an improvement. This is coming from someone who has never played the original though. I do agree that this is a pretty lazy remake however.

Manu

It's kind of a problem when the game's leading character "looks bad."

If they fuck with her Esper form so help me god...

:(

Again, I don't think she looks bad, she looks "bad" because it clashes with the world/artstyle. I think the sprite itself looks pretty good.

ash_ag

Baffles me, baffles me, why Square never pooped out some kind of PSN version of Before Crisis: FFVII.
They could have either done a full release or nickle/dimed people with an episodic release, but it seems like it could have easily snatched up a lot of those people itching for more FFVII-related material. :/

9MkvOoI.jpg

I would guess that this is too a matter of time. I doubt they've forgotten about it, but it might make more sense to release FFVII first, then Before Crisis. No matter what people say, I think that the games being readily available on mobile platforms is a good thing -- especially with games like Before Crisis, mobile platforms are close to the last resort nowadays.

And I find the complaints about graphics an overreaction. None of the mobile Final Fantasy ports look better or worse than the PSP remakes in my experience. 16-bit spritework has its virtues, but its lack is a small price to pay when it comes to enjoying those games. Square Enix is a bit stubborn in not including a "16-bit" mode or something, but I don't think this is too important.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hey guys, I'm here with an exclusive screenshot of the Final Fantasy VII remake, exclusively for Apple iGame!

uF9Yar7.jpg

And don't forget to check out the "Forgotten Memories" DLC, which features Cloud and Tifa's son, Deathbringer Strife, as he attempts to save Midgar from Sephiroth's son, Ravendoom. It's only 800 Crysta (or $18.72.33333378 USD!)! (ONLINE CONNECTION AND CLOUD SAVING REQUIRED.)

I would have believed you if you called Cloud's son Squall.

Manu

I will never for the life of me understand why people have a fucking problem with those who don't like it.

Because those who like it say "I like it."

Those who don't say "that looks like vomit, they raped my childhoodz, not like this SE, FUCK YOU SE, YOU'RE FUCKING DEAD TO ME."

Top Bottom