• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI iOS/Android screenshots [Up: Larger]

qq more

Because those who like it say "I like it."

Those who don't say "that looks like vomit, they raped my childhoodz, not like this SE, FUCK YOU SE, YOU'RE FUCKING DEAD TO ME."

So does it make their opinion any less valid or what?

And I really hope you aren't seriously suggesting that literally everyone that doesn't like the looks of the game are saying "MY CHILDHOODZ"

I've already explained why I don't like it and I'd rather not be grouped with that.

I would be less annoyed if this were on a system like the Vita or the 3DS on their eShop/PSN Store.

I don't game on my Android because of the battery life and I don't really game on iOS either for that reason. Now, if someone wants to gift me a tablet that can play these? I'm willing to totally buy it on that.

Shouta

Yeowch, this looks terrible. They just borked everything about that opening cliff scene.

Glad I still have my SNES copy.

I don't play games like this on my phone because I don't like draining the battery on my phone that quickly in case I need to use my phone to, you know, make phone calls or something.

Also this looks like dook. I would've paid $30 or even $40 for a PSP FF4 Compilation style remake or even a FFIV DS style one, but this style on this platform is the perfect storm of don't-give-a-fuck for me.

Hey guys, I'm here with an exclusive screenshot of the Final Fantasy VII remake, exclusively for Apple iGame!

uF9Yar7.jpg

And don't forget to check out the "Forgotten Memories" DLC, which features Cloud and Tifa's son, Deathbringer Strife, as he attempts to save Midgar from Sephiroth's son, Ravendoom. It's only 800 Crysta (or $18.72.33333378 USD!)! (ONLINE CONNECTION AND CLOUD SAVING REQUIRED.)

it's still the same font as the original so I call bullshit.

Goli

I think this looks pretty great. I look forward to buying it, maybe I'll finally beat it and thus have completed all mainline FF games that aren't MMOs.

I'll probably get it. It's one of my favorite games ever and it's been awhile since I've played it.

I'm also going to give them some credit, at least the game typeface isn't comic sans.

It's a cheap imitation of the brilliant pixel art of the original. That's why it looks so awful. Those claiming 'nostalgia glasses' have no taste. It looks like it was outsourced to a cheap Korean f2p studio.

It's a cheap imitation of the brilliant pixel art of the original. That's why it looks so awful. Those claiming 'nostalgia glasses' have no taste. It looks like it was outsourced to a cheap Korean f2p studio.

The best part is that the Final Fantasy Dimensions sprite art and style used for FFD, FF5 iOS, and now FF6 iOS were all designed and made personally by Kazuko Shibuya, the original sprite artist of FF1, FF3, FF5, and FF6. In other words, these sprites are probably how she would've designed them had the original games been created today. If they're a cheap imitation, then she's imitating herself.

The best part is that the Final Fantasy Dimensions sprite art and style used for FFD, FF5 iOS, and now FF6 iOS were all designed and made personally by Kazuko Shibuya, the original sprite artist of FF1, FF3, FF5, and FF6. In other words, these sprites are probably how she would've designed them had the original games been created today. If they're a cheap imitation, then she's imitating herself.
sometimes an artists work can decline in quality over the years. Sometimes they might do something for a paycheck and put no real love or passion into it. Shocking, I know.

Not to mention I seriously doubt that's how it would have been designee originally today. It's literally a reinterpretation of the pixel art, except smoothed and glossed over. It defeats the point of pixel art all together.

qq more

That makes things even more sad. :(

sometimes an artists work can decline in quality over the years. Sometimes they might do something for a paycheck and put no real love or passion into it. Shocking, I know.

Not to mention I seriously doubt that's how it would have been designee originally today. It's literally a reinterpretation of the pixel art, except smoothed and glossed over. It defeats the point of pixel art all together.

What he said

Honestly it's not terrible. It's functional and very uninspired. The psp port of ff iv is definitely an example of how to do it right. This is just the pixel art without the pixels. Ffvi deserves better.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I thought FFV iOS looked fantastic and I love the way these screenshots look as well.

Besides, if I see one more fucking retro pixel art game I think I'm going to throw up.

CorvoSol

Considering how terrible the artwork in Secret of Mana got from Legend of Mana onward, I'd say that it isn't unfair to say some people should quit while they're ahead.

Goodness knows George Lucas certainly hurt the original Star Wars movies when he went back and tried to make them "like his original vision".

jaxword

I don't think it's purely nostalgia. I think people wouldn't mind this if the sprites were done in the style of the PSP FFI, II and IV Collection. Those sprites actually looked good. These, not so much.

I'm pretty sure if the sprites were made to look up to par with the details seen in this, more people would be content.:

screenshot_psp_final_fantasy_iv_the_complete_collection004.jpg

Well, the test that demonstrates this will be when they DO release FF6 on Vita or 3DS or something else. Which they will, eventually.

Pachinko

It's strange that something that looks so much better on a technical level somehow also manages to look terrible despite being based on the same art.

If someone asked me why it looks bad I wouldn't be able to tell them anything aside form "it looks cheap". So what is it GAF, why is it I find what people seem to call "korean made RPG maker knockoff" so repulsive ? It's like trying to describe a color to a blind man.

qq more

I don't think it's purely nostalgia. I think people wouldn't mind this if the sprites were done in the style of the PSP FFI, II and IV Collection. Those sprites actually looked good. These, not so much.

I'm pretty sure if the sprites were made to look up to par with the details seen in this, more people would be content.:

screenshot_psp_final_fantasy_iv_the_complete_collection004.jpg

Is there a cleaner snapshot of this?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Square is damned if they do, damned if they don't on this one.

Like it or not there is demand for VI on mobile. If it didn't exist, some geeks out there would be whining for a decent mobile version and cursing SE's dumb brain.

If they leave the spritework exactly as it was, the geeks would criticize them for being lazy, the newbies would be nonplussed by this intentional-seeming retro looking game, and it would not live up to the FF brand name of being audio-visually full quality.

If they reimagine the spritework as if it were drawn today, fans will rage, it would change the feel of the game, and that would be a creative ordeal out of the scope of a mere mobile port.

If they redraw the sprites at a high resolution keeping the same features of the original characters..... well, here we are. GAF will rage.

I don't think it's purely nostalgia. I think people wouldn't mind this if the sprites were done in the style of the PSP FFI, II and IV Collection. Those sprites actually looked good. These, not so much.[/IMG]

There were threads where people raged at the redrawn art of those games too.

It's the exact same reaction as this thread.

Well, the test that demonstrates this will be when they DO release FF6 on Vita or 3DS or something else. Which they will, eventually.

They won't. They almost said so, since they are focusing on mobile development.

Be glad we still have Bravely saga.

Like it or not there is demand for VI on mobile. If it didn't exist, some geeks out there would be whining for a decent mobile version and cursing SE's dumb brain.

If they leave the spritework exactly as it was, the geeks would criticize them for being lazy, the newbies would be nonplussed by this intentional-seeming retro looking game, and it would not live up to the FF brand name of being audio-visually full quality.

If they reimagine the spritework as if it were drawn today, fans will rage, it would change the feel of the game, and that would be a creative ordeal out of the scope of a mere mobile port.

If they redraw the sprites at a high resolution keeping the same features of the original characters..... well, here we are. GAF will rage.

They didn't changed much things on the GBA port and people was ok with that version. PSP remakes of I & II are mostly well viewed too. The problem is not on being on mobile (it is for me, but that's beyond the point) the problem is that is another cheap and rushed job. (Almost) No one would be complaining if this was treated will love and care, it is not. It's ugly and lacks the charm of the 16 bit version, still looks like this was made with RPGmaker...

This is the same problem a FFVII remake will face. If they stick to lego people and low polys, people will say they didn't try. If it looks like Advent Children, "Muh childhoods" and all that. Making it look like FFIV DS and people will complain it looks childish. Etc...

qq more

oh god the generalization here

I like that you forget the part where people actually praised the PSP remake visuals here.

Also about the threads with redrawn art... care to provide examples of the art themselves? I'm interested.

jaxword

They won't. They almost said so, since they are focusing on mobile development.

Be glad we still have Bravely saga.

S-E's sharply turning towards portables for everything; there's no reason NOT to expect FF5-6 portable eventually.

BocoDragon is right, by the way, about the reactions being the same for each version.

S-E's sharply turning towards portables for everything; there's no reason NOT to expect FF5-6 portable eventually.

BocoDragon is right, by the way, about the reactions being the same for each version.

By portables you mean mobile. Portable development has been greatly reduced. Basically the only new game on portables for the foresable future is Bravely Second and Theatrythm FF Curtain call. Compare that with the wave of mobile games coming.

PSP I & II is far from perfect, but most people who hated it will tell you it looks miles better than iOS V and VI

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

"Korean sprites"

"Looks like a Flash game".

This is what that really squat early-16bit RPG art just looks like when the resolution is higher. You could stylize it or re-imagine it, sure, but that's a whole alternative universe of GAF complaining about that :p

qq more

For all the shit All The Bravest gets (I didn't like the game much either), I thought the presentation was actually pretty top notch for a mobile game.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I don't bother to differentiate between portable or mobile. It's either console at home or portable in hand.

There is a world of difference between Portable Consoles and Smartphones/Tablets.

One is used primarily as a gaming unit, the other is primarily used for web browsing, applications, movies, music, email that happens to play games.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, regarding the PSP games it's funny to look back on some of the posts from the Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition reveal back in 2007. Reactions to the look of the game start on page 13, after duckroll posted direct-feed screens on post 629. Differences in the scale of the forum aside, it's all eerily similar to this thread, both the positive and negative posts:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138366&page=13

My favorite:

oh god i just thought what FFVI Anniversary Edition will look like in this engine

oh god someone stop SquareEnix

jaxword

Yeah, regarding the PSP games it's funny to look back on some of the posts from the Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition reveal back in 2007. Reactions to the look of the game start on page 13, after duckroll posted direct-feed screens on post 629. Differences in the scale of the forum aside, it's all eerily similar to this thread, both the positive and negative posts:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138366&page=13

My favorite:

Wow, these really are cheap & shitty remake jobs aren't they. I can't believe they've butchered that font so badly.

From 6 years ago or 6 hours ago?

Top Bottom