• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thaedolus

Nice! I have the games on steamdeck, switch, and ps4/5 now. Love playing the old ones as much as I do the new.
Is there any way to make cloud saves work across Steam Deck/desktop? I wanted to check out mods and such on PC but I found I couldn’t go back and forth with cloud saves like I can do with other games on Steam. And I much prefer playing games on Steam Deck over Switch in handheld because of its form factor. But sometimes I want the comfy couch and big TV and with Switch I just drop it in the dock

Go_Ly_Dow

I bought a PS5 for this game as I cant wait for PC version. I am only 5 hours into it, but it is incredible!
Enjoy! I completed the narrative about 1.5 weeks ago and am now 90+ hours in finishing up sidequests.

Still can't believe how much new stuff I'm discovering.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Is there any way to make cloud saves work across Steam Deck/desktop? I wanted to check out mods and such on PC but I found I couldn’t go back and forth with cloud saves like I can do with other games on Steam. And I much prefer playing games on Steam Deck over Switch in handheld because of its form factor. But sometimes I want the comfy couch and big TV and with Switch I just drop it in the dock
Sadly not that I know of. Not sure why these games have such issues with that. I have just used my deck with a dock for these games in particular.

Thaedolus

Good?

The game is very good. The ending isn't.

I feel like the ending walked the line of being faithful to the original while doing something new and different, but not just retconning everything. And it leaves the fate of the protagonists up in the air and had me excited for what new crazy shit will happen next. But I can see why some don’t like it…I felt like I understood mostly what was going on in real time, but still missed a lot of things that had to be pointed out online…which kinda makes me want to play it again watching out for more

Last edited:

Zheph

I feel like the ending walked the line of being faithful to the original while doing something new and different, but not just retconning everything. And it leaves the fate of the protagonists up in the air and had me excited for what new crazy shit will happen next. But I can see why some don’t like it…I felt like I understood mostly what was going on in real time, but still missed a lot of things that had to be pointed out online…which kinda makes me want to play it again watching out for more
It was interesting and it opens a conversation but it was always gonna leave a lot of people upset no matter what they did

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Stop talking about the ending outside of spoiler tags, cocksuckers.....there are many of us who haven't finished it yet! :messenger_angry::messenger_angry: Go to the SPOILERRS thread for that, and have some consideration please and thanks!

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Which ones do you recommend? From the SNES era I only played FF6 to 75% through but never completed it

Didn’t get into FF much until FF7
I am a super fan and think all of the games are worth playing. FF1 is a classic, 2 was a predecessor to the SaGa franchise, 3 pixel remaster is the best version of that game hands down. 4, 5, and 6 are amazing and the best entry point for classic FF games.
Best ways to play 5 and 6 are easily the pixel remasters. Best way to play 4 is the psp collection.

Go_Ly_Dow

There's a spoiler thread folks to discuss the ending.

Also share your fav music!

Last edited:
I am a super fan and think all of the games are worth playing. FF1 is a classic, 2 was a predecessor to the SaGa franchise, 3 pixel remaster is the best version of that game hands down. 4, 5, and 6 are amazing and the best entry point for classic FF games.
Best ways to play 5 and 6 are easily the pixel remasters. Best way to play 4 is the psp collection.

After playing rebirth’s combat I kind of miss the simplicity of these older turn based games.

Rebirth has awesome combat but it’s extremely hectic and chaotic, I just never end up trying to block and brute force my way through the difficult battles.

Kinda in the mood to just slow things down and strategize

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
After playing rebirth’s combat I kind of miss the simplicity of these older turn based games.

Rebirth has awesome combat but it’s extremely hectic and chaotic, I just never end up trying to block and brute force my way through the difficult battles.

I also recommend Octopath and the Braeley default series.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Rebirth is too mashy and flashy for me. Too much responsibility in using other characters besides Cloud. It's why it was easy for me to walk away from it. Will I return? Who knows.

16 felt so much more focused. No stupid minigames. No Ubi styled checklist open world bullshit. Just wide linear spaces to aid in maintaining engagement. Plus that Active Time Lore which I still think is one of the greatest things to happen to a game this gen. And of course, Benedikta.

LordCBH

Nearing the end of the game. Love it. But I have some issues with it. But the biggest issue is there’s too many fucking mini games and the game wants you to at least play most of not all of them once. It would be fine if most of the mini games were good, but most of them kinda suck.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I think I've reached a part where my memory from the OG is extremely foggy. I didn't finish the original but I think I was almost at the end.

Chapter 9 spoilers:

Is there any part in the OG where Sephiroth possesses Cloud and tries to kill Tifa?

I don't Google it well... Because I'm afraid of getting spoiled with something that might come up.

Great review by Max here and I agree with all of his points after completing the game in 120 hours with mostly everything completed side quest wise.

I was really impressed with the sheer amount of content in FF7R. For the third game, I would focus more on content that people enjoyed the most and cut out a lot of the stuff many people didn't tend to complete. I'm sure they are able to look at the data and see what those mini-games were.

I really want to highlight how fantastic the side quests, mini-games, and especially the economy/rewards in this game are. In many open world games like BOTW or ToTK - the rewards seem completely pointless. A weapon or armor that isn't very useful, small amount of money, nothing to really meaningfully change your character. In FF7R they made sure that every activity you do gives significant rewards to your player and parties XP, gives you unique material that can drastically alter your build, gives you armor that can enhance the materia slots, and give you enhanced materials that feed into the wonderful transmutation system. Like, in this game, I actually regularly use a lot of ITEMS I gather, from either loot in crafting or in the actual battles themselves and I find that many games this is trivialized.

Kudos to the team for creating such a rich and rewarding system which complements the depth of play-style options and customization which is in stark contrast to what we got in FF16 in comparison.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I think I've reached a part where my memory from the OG is extremely foggy. I didn't finish the original but I think I was almost at the end.

Chapter 9 spoilers:

Is there any part in the OG where Sephiroth possesses Cloud and tries to kill Tifa?

I don't Google it well... Because I'm afraid of getting spoiled with something that might come up.
Not that I remember no.

Markio128

I finally managed to beat the chapter 10 boss last night, after quite a few attempts. I nearly changed to easy mode for that one, but I’m glad that I didn’t. I’m happy to finally be back out in the open so that I can level up a bit before continuing with the story.

Toots

Gold Member
Went back in after not playing it since finishing it up, just to do a few queen's blood matches. Ended up spending the night doing the island of the genji fights, playing queens'blood and just enjoying the sights. The game was even more beautiful than in my memories.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
The Gongaga Chicken sidequest...

ron burgundy GIF

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
For the love of god could someone tell me the name of the song @ 1:39:39

(chapter 7 spoilers)

Lokaum D+

Ok, after 150 hours i m downing my score to a 7/10, the sheer amount of BS that they put in hard mode is just plain bad and the 18k AP to master some matérias is just nonsensical, even FF16 on últimania difficult hadnt that much bs that FF7Re has.

Last edited:
2 weeks or something since i was done with the game and i still cant find a new game that gives me what this did. All other games just feels like shit.....Hell not even my flight sim setup does it for me anymore, got damnit🤣

I always try to play something completely different when this happens. Nothing else will compare and even if you aren't actively thinking about it, you'll end up comparing whatever you play next unfavorably.

Agree, it’s one of these games that leaves a big void in you once you complete it and makes every other game like lacking soul.

So what I did is start the DLC Intermission which I never played lol

Games and shows that are really good, and longer running always make me feel this way. Part 3 ending is going to hit even harder, since that will be it. And I can't see another FF7 remake in my lifetime, probably not ever. So that will be the true end of this story, not including spinoffs.

I always try to play something completely different when this happens. Nothing else will compare and even if you aren't actively thinking about it, you'll end up comparing whatever you play next unfavorably.

Games and shows that are really good, and longer running always make me feel this way. Part 3 ending is going to hit even harder, since that will be it. And I can't see another FF7 remake in my lifetime, probably not ever. So that will be the true end of this story, not including spinoffs.

Steller Blade will be a nice change of pace. Hope it reviews well.

As much as I like Rebirth -- I can't do this new game+ stuff, and the brutal VR missions. I enjoy the combat, bu when they throw all these enemies at you it starts feeling a bit cheap. The Odin and Alexander battle was particularly brutal for me on normal mode on level 50, I just switched it to easy mode to be done with it. Getting hit non stop due to the overall chaos just doesn't work well for me. The timing/blocking doesn't work well for me when the consequences are so brutal. I would love a Final Fantasy game that slowed things down and let you be more tactical like the OG games.

I hate that you can't really max out many important materia in your first normal playthrough doing everything on offer.

Finished chapter 11 and now I see why there was so much negativity posted here. It started out great with the chocobo ability and setting, but the way it devolved at the manor... WTF were they thinking? Just began chapter 12 and the sheer number of updated minigames, quests, and other things is astounding - actually it's a bit too much. Still loving the game but getting tired of all the diversions from the main story. It feels like FF16 where that last chapter dropped over a dozen additional sidequests all at once.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Just when I thought they would actually let me fully control Cids plane on chapter 10, mf lands it and says goodbye.

Chamber Of Secrets Goodbye GIF by Harry Potter

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
60 hours in and nearing the end of Chapter 9.
My god Gongaga is large.
I also can't believe its taken me this long to understand how raising limit levels worked.
Glossing over how that mechanic probably wasn't the smartest idea.
It was during the Kujata fight where I started asking myself what is going here in that regard. My first fight with him I accidently fought him at his full power and the fight was dragging on forever. He ended my team with Tri-Disaster. Totally worth it to understand limits.

I'll give SE their props on the open world portion. I have to do everything in each region before moving on (less Queen's Blood. I just don't care for it). Everything else...they got me hook line and sinker

Last edited:
Steller Blade will be a nice change of pace. Hope it reviews well.

As much as I like Rebirth -- I can't do this new game+ stuff, and the brutal VR missions. I enjoy the combat, bu when they throw all these enemies at you it starts feeling a bit cheap. The Odin and Alexander battle was particularly brutal for me on normal mode on level 50, I just switched it to easy mode to be done with it. Getting hit non stop due to the overall chaos just doesn't work well for me. The timing/blocking doesn't work well for me when the consequences are so brutal. I would love a Final Fantasy game that slowed things down and let you be more tactical like the OG games.

I am pretty sure any of the Combat Sims where it says the Level is "Any" that the difficulty slider doesn't affect it. For the Summons... the Power Down does though.

Also Synergy Materia is really helpful. Especially against Odin since delivering damage is the best way to avoid Zankutussen.

Go_Ly_Dow

60 hours in and nearing the end of Chapter 9.
My god Gongaga is large.
I also can't believe its taken me this long to understand how raising limit levels worked.
Glossing over how that mechanic probably wasn't the smartest idea.
It was during the Kujata fight where I started asking myself what is going here in that regard. My first fight with him I accidently fought him at his full power and the fight was dragging on forever. He ended my team with Tri-Disaster. Totally worth it to understand limits.

I'll give SE their props on the open world portion. I have to do everything in each region before moving on (less Queen's Blood. I just don't care for it). Everything else...they got me hook line and sinker
I love the subtle differences in terrain for each region. Also Gongaga is probably the first video game jungle I've got lost in ever.

I'm glad they took the risk of making the exploration there old school and by that I mean requiring you to refer to the map and pause for a moment to figure how how to get from A to B to C.

Still can't believe they made the game with 3 years of production.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
I love the subtle differences in terrain for each region. Also Gongaga is probably the first video game jungle I've got lost in ever.

I'm glad they took the risk of making the exploration there old school and by that I mean requiring you to refer to the map and pause for a moment to figure how how to get from A to B to C.

Still can't believe they made the game with 3 years of production.
Oh I definitely agree with the exploration in the jungle. I definitely got lost more than a few times. And the music here was amazing.

Top Bottom