• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII released on Steam, $11.99 USD (Squeenix account required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wark

Is the game broken or something, or does it connect with the SE store for stats? Already there are people who have completed achievements like Cait Sith's last limit break.

I'm guessing it is attached to the SE store because a couple of Steam achievements popped up as soon as I started the game.

My wired 360 controller works fine. Only weird thing is when it booted up it showed the keyboard controls and the only way to continue was to hit X on my keyboard. After that controller worked fine.

Ah finally, some confirmation. I've got a Logitech F510 that will be perfect for this.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hmm, it's the exact game that they released (digitally) like 12 months ago right?

anddo0

Should I pick up the PS1 classic version then? I was about to buy that last week, but couldn't because I couldn't get my PS3 online due to internet problems that should be resolved in a couple days. I really don't want to have to deal with always online DRM.

If you own a PSP/PSVita/PS3 it's the best way to go.

I'll probably get this when it's 75% off.

DeSo

Banned
Why did they give everyone an :O face in the new PC version. Looks so stupid.

Just another reason I'll stick with my PS1 version.

Seance

Banned
Never played this game and i'm concerned whether or not it is worth playing in 2013 without rose-tinted glasses.
Also 12 bucks? This came out last century for Christs sake.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
On one hand I'm happy some JRPGS are being released on Steam, and a classic at that. I hope more Japanese companies continue to get the message.

On the other hand I'm disgusted this game is so riddled with pointless and intrusive DRM.

I'm feeling this way. The Square Enix storefront launcher doesn't put me entirely off, but it's enough for me to give this version a miss outside of an extreme sale, "just because." Double standards and all.

And yet I feel that this may be a precursor to Square Enix finally releasing RPGs (i.e. Final Fantasy 15 etc) on PC alongside the PS4/Xbox One releases - even if there are several months apart.

Never played this game and i'm concerned whether or not it is worth playing in 2013 without rose-tinted glasses.

Do yourself a favour and buy it on PSN instead if you have any console/handheld with it. It's cheaper and you can take it on the go if via portable.

Grief.exe

I literally have a stack of Super Nintendo games behind me, and System Shock 2 is one of the best games I've played this year.

I'm not exactly an unbiased source on whether to play classic games or not.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'd have bought it, but always online? Nope. Not rewarding them for this pointless DRM. On one hand I hope this doesn't determine XV's fate on PC, but even if it does we need to send a message so they know it's not acceptable.

ElyrionX

I don't get it. This is a re-release of game that is more than 15 years old. I played it when I was 14 and it was great. I have since completed it a second time. But why do people still get so excited over this shit today?

I don't get it. This is a re-release of game that is more than 15 years old. I played it when I was 14 and it was great. I have since completed it a second time. But why do people still get so excited over this shit today?

Different people like different things.

Edit: To elaborate, I don't understand how your personal history with the game would influence anyone else's enthusiasm.

Korezo

Was this game redone or something? Those screen shots look like a lot of stuff like backgrounds were redone in HD.

Fuck, If I knew it was coming to steam I would have waited before buying it for the X-th time and through the shitty SE store...

Bought it again, this was my first game when I got a PSX, nostalgia beats anything, even DRM damn it!

RPGCrazied

Was this game redone or something? Those screen shots look like a lot of stuff like backgrounds were redone in HD.

Don't think so, other than character models are more sharp, but the backgrounds definalty aren't redrawn. I might would have bought, DRM and all, if they could try an update the game just a little bit. Even if its just new character models and better music.

I knew it was a bad version of this game but I just couldn't resist getting it on Steam...

It's been years since I last used a controller on my PC, is there any way to get this game to recognize the D-Pad ? Going through the menus with the left stick is a pain. I tried with a 360 and a PS3 controller and had no luck.

Jubern

I can't understand why they would price the Steam version 12.99€ when they have a PS3/PSP/PSVita crossbuy version on the PSN for 9.99€

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It's cheaper here (R$ 19,99 = $ 8,83 as of today) but R$20 is not the price I'd pay for this. I want a PC version of FFVII but the extra DRM and needing another account make me want to not get it for now.

The SE Store version sounds like total ass though, I didn't know it even had an install limit.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls

Like any piece of entertainment there are bound to be many emotions and memories tied to the subject matter. FF7 is what it is despite whatever shortcomings it may have compared to the industry standards of today. But no one can deny the impact it once had and continues to have upon people who invest a worthwhile amount of time to it.

The question you asked is slightly ridiculous when you throw it in the same light of, "why do people continue to listen to the same albums/watch the same movies/read the same books?"

1. Why the fuck would I play a 18 year old single player game that requires me to be online all the time?

2. That aside, can anyone tell me if FFVII has aged well? I never played it back in the day so I have no nostalgia for it.

2. That aside, can anyone tell me if FFVII has aged well? I never played it back in the day so I have no nostalgia for it.

It has aged very badly. The combination of ultra-low-resolution pre-rendered backgrounds, primitive-looking CGI cutscenes, and character models with only a few hundred polygons each without any texturing is pretty awful looking by today's standards.

It's also a classic in every sense of the word, and it's famous ending ushered in an age of
Deus Ex Machina FF endings which reached it's climax with the incomprehensible sudden resolution ending of FFXIII.

GAMERG0D

1. Why the fuck would I play a 18 year old single player game that requires me to be online all the time?

It's not always on. I played the Square Enix e-store version with more DRM and I was able to play when I lost my internet connection. I'm not sure if you HAVE to save your files to the Cloud though. Some might say it aged well, some might say it hasn't; it depends on how you view older games. It's not a very difficult game, but the low poly models and old CGI can be a turnoff.

Terra

Still on the fence here. Isn't it just to download & play with my wireless 360 controller? Do you have to register and stuff? Mandatory Facebook?

CTLance

Aw man. Sorry, SquEnix, you can stick that in your pipe and smoke it. I will not log into yet another stupid service just to play an offline single player game.

Also, fuck the € price in the eye socket with a rusty fork.

Are they trying to make this as unappealing as possible?

Bri

I played it on my PSP back in 2009 or so, my first Final Fantasy (not counting FFXI). It wasn't very funny. Ugly as shit. Annoying characters, story that wasn't as interesting as I thought it would be, not very fun to play, slow fights.

Cool atmosphere though. And great music!

But I dislike JRPGs in general.

FoxSpirit

Edit:

dat background at 1920x1080
CC0FF9B50A946DBD4A4A3E9D35A3A173383A9CF2
Just make sure you sit far enough from your monitor and it looks okay. Just like the old days, if you are viewing this on 50" from a vision filling distance you are doin it wrong :p

hamchan

1. You wouldn't. You'd buy it off PSN for a cheaper price.

2. The graphics have not. Other than that it's still good.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What a shoddy port.

I kind of knew it would be since the SE Store release was subpar. It's exciting to see it on Steam but the DRM and those borders are a huge turn off.

And 12 dollars is at least 2 dollar too high.

Jørdan

Should I pick up the PS1 classic version then? I was about to buy that last week, but couldn't because I couldn't get my PS3 online due to internet problems that should be resolved in a couple days. I really don't want to have to deal with always online DRM.
I think the PS1 version is the better option, always online and the fucking around with save files in the Steam version.

Is "Character Booster" an in game purchase? Does it cost real money or is it just a cheat mode?
Just a cheat mode, no purchase necessary.

In fullscreen mode @1920x1080 it still cuts about 15% of the bottom of the screen, is this normal?
Not certain but I wouldn't think so, you're going to need that 15% for the third character in battle.

astonish

Considered grabbing this (I've never played it), but I think I'll go for the PSN version. Seems like a game I might as well play on a TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom