• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII released on Steam, $11.99 USD (Squeenix account required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You would think that after all the releases and how many times people like me have bought FF7 (probably around 6 times) that SE would invest in at least doing a simple 1080p version. Take 2 years off to expand the screen to moderns standards and make the audio right and you may have some free money on your hands.

Them adding achievements is not cutting it enough to spend 12 dollars on a game I've spent a lot of money on through the years.

kick51

Banned
womp womp

guess I'll just play it on my Vita

I was gonna do that anyway because everything is better on Vita

You would think that after all the releases and how many times people like me have bought FF7 (probably around 6 times) that SE would invest in at least doing a simple 1080p version.

They don't have to do that because people keep buying FF7 no matter what

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
womp womp

guess I'll just play it on my Vita

I was gonna do that anyway because everything is better on Vita

They don't have to do that because people keep buying FF7 no matter what

I know I'm not :p

Not in this state.

I thought this would at least get rid of the stupid SE DRM but part of it still remains. Sorry but that's a dealbreaker for me. Already have the original PS1 version, PC version and PSN version..

Now if Final Fantasy VIII doesn't have the SE DRM, day 1 for me.

MechaX

FFS, Square-Enix, do you just not want my money?

You probably could have gotten some considerable sales (well, probably more than what is even happening now) by not attempting to price gouge people on a 15 year old game with your shitty always online DRM with account inception (SE account DRM on top of Steam's normal requirements). The lack of always online is exactly why I even buy shit from Steam (especially if I'm in a location with shoddy wifi).

Given how cheaper it is on PSN, I'm seeing no advantages from just either buying it on PSN or digging out my PSX copies and using emulation.

Mrbob

Regardless of DRM if seems like its selling like really well already. Seems nostalgia will always win out :)
This is like a block buster movie sequel which gets panned. Always big out of the gate but can't sustain long term due to bad word of mouth.

Raxus

Is there a way to get rid of the DRM? I never played this game and I was looking forward to playing it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Am I wrong for thinking this a little pricey? Tell me I'm a bad person, please. The price just seems a little inflated, in my opinion.

Durante

Am I wrong for thinking this a little pricey? Tell me I'm a bad person, please. The price just seems a little inflated, in my opinion.
It's way overpriced, considering they didn't even invest the week or two it would take to get high-quality music into the game and use the battle models on the field.

I'm a weak weak man. Square has me by the nuts with this game. Bought it immediately and am geaking out like a school girl who just got her dream prom dress even though she finds out there's shit stains all over it.

I'm interested like before but not at £10, knock off a few quid (and a better pay month for myself) and i'll buy it.

I'd play this game in 320x240 if possible just so the backgrounds and battle textures fit in better.

SE always price their FF titles up a little bit more then expected, FF7 being one of their most popular too.

Ce-Lin

so tired of FFVII re-releases and the usual highway robbery, this time again with shitty music and proprietary DRM... still waiting for FFVI (III) Android / iOS.

kick51

Banned
It's way overpriced, considering they didn't even invest the week or two it would take to get high-quality music into the game and use the battle models on the field.

you took it from there, maybe you could square away this port?

jk

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This version still has the same fucking DRM as last year? Oh FFS, Square.
This one doesn't have Securom and the Digital River activation limit, so it's like they sprayed a bit of perfume on the shit.

ezodagrom

From what some are saying in the steam forums, looks like you only have to login once, after the first login the game apparently can be played offline (as long as cloud saves are disabled, which are disabled by default).
I'll try disconnecting my router and see if this is true later today.

bigace33

Meh, this is one of my favorite games of all time. I got it for a bit cheaper at Greenman. The DRM does stink but it says I can play the game on up to 3 different computers using cloud saves. Too much nostalgia for me to skip out on this. This is the game that pretty much introduced me to video games. I have beaten it like 4 times and plan on doing it again.

This is one of those cases where the publisher is just inconveniencing paying customers and only paying customers. Anyone who wants to pirate FFVII either already has or can just track down a torrent of the 98 pc version or a PS1 iso. This much security on a 16 year old game is a little much, especially when there's already easy avenues to pirate the game out there. Now you're just annoying the people that wanted to buy your game for what is probably the third or fourth time.

From everything I'm reading on the Steam forums, it isn't actually always online.

Says you can log in with a SE account or even facebook account, and after the initial log in you can play offline. It will even resynch your cloud saves when you reconnect.

Hmm okay. So I deleted the game(through steam, not through the control panel) and my save file stayed in my documents. I reinstalled the game, turned OFF the cloud before I actually ran the game so it would only look for local save files, and it loaded my save just fine, as any other steam game would. Going to try it twice more. Once with no internet connection after the download but before I run the application, and once deleting from the control panel(also with no internet connection)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/39140/discussions/0/846958001162974435/#p7

AwShucks

If not doing a full remake I don't want them changing the field models.

Perhaps the OP should be updated:

Polarizer [has FINAL FANTASY VII] 18 minutes ago
In all the drama about the so-called "DRM" (which is invoked exactly once the first time you run the game, and never again thereafter) nobody has mentioned that you can use a Facebook account to to the initial login & that you don't need a SE account at all. This "always on DRM" talk is just rubbish.

And I can confirm that offline play works just fine with the "cloud save" feature disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom