• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII released on Steam, $11.99 USD (Squeenix account required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gxgear

The reason why SE still haven't done a legitimate VII remake is because they know theycan yank us around with stuff like this.

Toki767

Will wait for a sale...it'll probably be $5 or under after a few months. Then I'll buy it if mod support is confirmed.

I'm fully aware of that. I was mostly curious about the polygonal aspects of the game.

They are much crisper and more well defined than the PS1 version. For me, that is this version's main selling point. Since I never had the PC version back in the day this looks pretty cool in some ways.

Wazzy

Banned
Hm. I wasn't planning on picking this up but I did consider it when I saw it had been released. Now I'm not sure I want it.

Either way, give me VIII so I can mod Seifer into my party.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I never played the PC version, but what's wrong with the music? It's different than the PS1 music or what? :S

Also, LMAO at the "new features":

Character Booster – Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure.

HAHAHAHA jesus fucking christ the game is super easy, what the hell. "Press X to awesome" generation.

I never played the PC version, but what's wrong with the music? It's different than the PS1 music or what? :S

Also, LMAO at the "new features":

HAHAHAHA jesus fucking christ the game is super easy, what the hell. "Press X to awesome" generation.

It's kind of sad that they just have "god mode" boosters. It would have been kind of cool to have an in-depth stat/level changer. Like if you became overlevelled and wanted a challenge, you could decrease or increase to your liking. Instead it's a one way ticket to making the game piss easy.

Cystm

Like everyone else, I will be waiting for the Summer Sale.

What are the chances they will release the rest of their catalog on Steam, now?

Conan-san

The fuck with this, I'll just get the PSX version from PSN store and be done with it.

All Square (I'm convinced Enix just have them around because sometimes it's fun to look at someone be a complete retard) had to do was put this on and make it modable and they couldn't even do THAT right.

I suck at figuring out how to install mods. I got the soundtrack fixed just by coping the files into the music folder, but everything else seems to be a magnificent hassle.

The fuck with this, I'll just get the PSX version from PSN store and be done with it.

All Square (I'm convinced Enix just have them around because sometimes it's fun to look at someone be a complete retard) had to do was put this on and make it modable and they couldn't even do THAT right.

Who says mods wont work?

d1rtn4p

Purchased it; could not resist. Good to see it's been at the top of the sellers list all day. Need more games like this on Steam.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Despite owning it three times over I'm thinking about getting this version.

What's wrong with me.

It's not even my favorite FF.

Mononoke

Banned
This, or the Vita version? Does PC version have texture mods?

Edit: i guess PC version is far superior than PS1 on vita.

Aeana

easy to remedy-

dont believe all the haters out there GAF
"Problem: PSF and Midi do not entirely represent the original master quality of the OST."

Someone should tell him that PSF files are literally the sound code from the PSX game being run in an emulator, so it represents the original quality of the music exactly. And as such, it can also loop perfectly, so it's really the best solution.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
...WTF? Wow.
Well, the original game used the PSX sound chip for music playback. Obviously this wasn't available on the PC and, at the time, digital audio compression wasn't good enough to cram all of that music into the PC version. So, they simply used midi.

The PC version was originally bundled with the Yamaha SoftXG software which did a good job handling the music. I believe they created the PC music with that software in mind and using any other midi device produced poor results. Even with that software the music was still less impressive than the PSX version.

This Steam version is still based on that old 90s port.

Someone should tell him that PSF files are literally the sound code from the PSX game being run in an emulator, so it represents the original quality of the music exactly. And as such, it can also loop perfectly, so it's really the best solution.
Absolutely right. Though, the emulation quality can impact the sound of the music as well.

Veezy

que?
I don't think the new version is very moddable, that's why someone ended up making that converter to basically turn the game into the original release. Or maybe people just didn't want to port the mods over.

Yeah, I have my FFVII on my PC from the disk version, and modding the new version requires a bit of extra work due to the difference DRM, Achievements, etc.

Seriously, if everybody wants the "superior" version of the game, buy this, pirate the old version, and just go here.

Step by step awesome version of the game.

sueil

Not sure why they used they recorded it from the original PC release with no midi card instead of using the Yamaha card version. The Yamaha tracks are amazing sounding. Someone uploaded a bunch to youtube.

Soule

Ehh this seems like too much of a hassle, especially for the price the aussie store is asking, will wishlist it so I know when it goes on sale but for now it's a no go for me.

SOLDIER

Do you have to sign into that launcher every time you start the game?

If I can't just open it with a controller in Big Picture Mode then forget it.

Eyothrie

Do you have to sign into that launcher every time you start the game?

If I can't just open it with a controller in Big Picture Mode then forget it.

Yes, you do have to sign in every time. Its no different than the version that was release a few months ago

Damn, $12 and the need to sign up for an SE account to play a 20 year old game?

This game should have been on Humble SE Bundle like five years ago.

Played for like half an hour just now. As someone who has only really played the PS1 version, seeing the high resolution polygon characters and enemies is pretty awesome. You can see every little detail on things that appeared so blurry on the PS1. The resolution of the backgrounds feels kinda chunky though, so it ends up as a kind of trade-off.

Even though the music doesn't sound the same as the PS1 version I still kinda like it. It feels like some kind of bizarro version of the tracks I know so well. I downloaded the better tracks, but I might not use them. I am having fun hearing how different they sound. I am sure that's sacrilege to some, but who cares.

And it certainly didn't ask me to sign in to my Square Enix account beyond the initial startup. Anyway, it makes me happy to have this on Steam and I gladly await the release of FF VIII.

RussellXV

I wish Steam would let me activate the game by inputting the code I received for the PC release from the Square Enix store months ago.

Eusis

Considering that there are people who haven't played the game yet reading this thread, yeah... that might not be a good idea.
I'd joke about THE spoiler, but honestly if you managed to go this long without hearing about it then you definitely deserve to be able to play the game without finding it out just beforehand.

It's more expensive than the PSN version and with more hurdles and almost no improvements... I'll pass. I'll either play the PSN version or put the original on a PC emu and get some actual enhancements.

Seriously $12 is way overpriced for this.

If this release sells well I hope it leads to Squeenix considering a PC version of XV.

I would be totally for this, as it would allow me to put off possibly (depending on reviews) getting a PS4 too early.

Who am I kidding? XV won't be out for years either way.

Does anyone actually feel this way?

The PS1 version came out in 1997.

At a certain point, don't you lose the spoiler protection?

There is never true spoiler protection, there will always be someone mad at you for it. That said, anyone who hasn't played it yet (there are 16 year olds who were born after this game.... so old...) probably knows to be wary of spoilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom