• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII released on Steam, $11.99 USD (Squeenix account required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

Will it be at all possible to mod this with the one that replaces the world map models/textures, etc?
Because if so... Eventual Steam sale!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I bought it again, I'm so weak. The SE login was disapointing

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm surprised it's $12, considering its age.

Most games that old would be around $2 at this point.

Well, played it a bit just now... and here are my impressions.

I had some controller problems (would detect in settings, but not in the game itself) but once I went into the control panel and set my specific gamepad to "use with older programs" it worked fine. Was disappointed directional movement was mapped to the analog stick, but since I use a Logitech F510, I can just swap analog and d-pad functions by pressing a button. Would suck a lot if I was using a proper Xbox 360 controller though.

My first experience of FF7 was with the original PC version when it first came out in the late 90s. I have bad memories of the game crashing every 5 minutes, horrible framerate, horrible music, horrible controls, all horrible really. I only played it cos I was a huge fan of Final Fantasy and didn't own a PS1.

So I came into this particular game expecting the game to be a horrible, janky mess... and to my surprise, I didn't find it bad at all. Music's fine for me, even though I'm so used to the PS1 music by now, controls are similar to what I would feel with PS1 (with my Logitech) and the stretched graphics are... well, I can get used to it.

In short, I'm having fun! Stockholm syndrome? :D

The only things I don't really like are having to log on and the game connecting to the server every time you save and every time you get an achievement. WTH, Square Enix. What. The. Hell.

Now I just hope SE will let me redownload this game if I suddenly feel the need to, several months from now...

connecting it to your facebook account is supposed to be better?

this isn't a free to play phone game

No but it isn't always online and that is news. It doesn't have the same DRM as SquareSoft's own version on their website and that is news. If you don't want it you obviously don't have to buy it but the OP should be updated for those who are interested and are simply turned off due to the alleged always online requirement and installation limit that doesn't exist on the Steam version.

antitrop

So can someone post a short tutorial how/where to get the higher quality MIDI files and battle models for the field? That should be in the OP.

I did it for you guys last year!

bigace33

There is no always online DRM as many are reporting on the Steam forums.

Ya'll need to chill.

Lol when Gaf is in a frenzy all reason is out the window. When everyone calms down they will actually read the facts and find out its not quite as bad as it initially seemed. Once I saw that I can play on multiple computers and pick right up where I left off I wasn't so butt hurt about it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Ok, having to log in with Facebook or a SE account is still annoying but no extra DRM definitely makes it a better.

Ifrit

Can this version be modded like the old one?

I knew at first it wasn't possible (besides the music) but I was thinking maybe after a year or so, things have changed for the better

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeesh what a LTTP thread, I played this game on my computer in 1998. In fact, that's the only way I ever played this game. At 1/4 speed in a 1/4-size window. AW YEAH!

TheExodu5

Banned
- Square DRM
- Bad music
- Visual glitches

Thanks, but no thanks. I may as well just use my existing PC version, since I'll have to mod/fix this one anyways.

legacyzero

Banned
IMO $11 is not bad.

Trying to sell you a piece of SHIT version of a game made in 97, IS bad.

Is it worth $12 and always online DRM to play this shitty port that adds nothing to this old ass game?

Dude...

I dont thinks it's "Always online." It's once time activation.

Grief.exe

So can someone post a short tutorial how/where to get the higher quality MIDI files and battle models for the field? That should be in the OP.

I did it for you guys last year!

I will put modding info in the OP if its posted.

I just woke up so gotta get caught up.

Is ANYBODY making an |OT|?

I feel if we had all this info in one place, (IE Music fix, DRM) it'd be a lot better.

We can just use this thread.

Ill update OP.

Grief.exe

in the first few lines of the OP

yea I don't know how anyone could get the idea that this game has always online DRM!

When the game launched last night there was a launcher that required an online check.

We assumed it was the same as the Square Enix store version last year.

No one posted any conflicting evidence that it wasn't always online and I don't personally own the game.

Sometime in the last 8 hours that opinion has changed. I will update OP to reflect the changed info.

Okay, based on what I've read the "DRM" isn't as bad as people have made it out to be... and I realize that I run the risk of sounding like an ass because I didn't read the entirety of the thread.. But does it include any interesting graphical options? Does it at least accept forcing AA, and higher resolutions?

Grief.exe

Okay, based on what I've read the "DRM" isn't as bad as people have made it out to be... and I realize that I run the risk of sounding like an ass because I didn't read the entirety of the thread.. But does it include any interesting graphical options? Does it at least accept forcing AA, and higher resolutions?

The backgrounds are pre-rendered 320x240 images.

Increasing the resolution will only stretch those images.

Says it right there in the OP, so somebody is wrong.

Read my post literally right above your first one.

hlhbk

Okay.

Ill work on a modding guide and add it to the OP today.

Unfortunately I'm pretty busy all day. If someone wants to put one together then PM a mod to add to the OP then that is fine.

Will the mods even work with this version? They didn't for the version from the SE store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom