• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X -Will- and FFX-2.5 plot discussion thread [Up2: Uh, um, errr, see OP]

Flandy

Unofficial translation by a user in TVTropes.

Tidus really doesn't understand Yuna. It's clear that
the only reason she said she's seeing someone else is because she doesn't Tidus to get killed by the new Sin, and she wants to fight the reborn Sin by herself, probably with her guardians. What she doesn't know is that Tidus being the nutbag will follow her anyway, rendering this little drama pointless.

Reads like an average fanfic :\
lol @
"huge-boobed mayor "
and
"Just because your rack is huge, you think you can act superior"

Dark_castle

Yeah Chiami definitely makes Rikku (in the original X) the most mature woman in Spira.

But that aside, it does read out as a really mediocre fan-fic, though not exactly offensive. The more hurting part is in the X-2.5 novel, which I would just flat out suggest to avoid reading it. At least from the impressions and all.

Unofficial translation by a user in TVTropes.

the only reason she said she's seeing someone else is because she doesn't Tidus to get killed by the new Sin, and she wants to fight the reborn Sin by herself, probably with her guardians. What she doesn't know is that Tidus being the nutbag will follow her anyway, rendering this little drama pointless.
Jesus Christ.

B.K.

The more hurting part is in the X-2.5 novel, which I would just flat out suggest to avoid reading it. At least from the impressions and all.

Too bad we won't be able to avoid it.
Tidus' death and resurrection
in X-2.5 will probably be a major plot point in X-3.

Flandy

haha her manservant
wakka is so whipped
I read all of
Wakkas lines in his voice. Nobody elses :lol
I wouldn't mind revisiting Spira but I pray to god Yevon it isn't as fanficy as the above translation makes it out to be.

BlueWord

I actually enjoyed reading that. I'd be down for a X-3.

People are piling on the hate train because it's fashionable right now. Based off of the audio drama transcript, this is a way better story direction than X-2 — and that's coming from someone who really liked that game. I'm just as cautious as the next guy when it comes to Final Fantasy sequels, but nothing presented here seems particularly offensive. Looking at the consequences of resurrection via the Fayth actually seems like a really compelling plot point for this world to explore.

Dark_castle

Didn't really care for the audio drama, because Chiami is really a horrid POV. I wished Nojima tells this segment via Kurugam instead. A little bland, but at least not annoying.

I am actually slightly more interested in the X-2.5 novel, since it was said to be darker and contains shocking revelations (I roughly know what's going to happen, but would like to get a clearer image). Now it does spit on Tidus x Yuna relationship, but I don't really mind NTR especially if it has a resolving ending and plot points explained. Also helps that I don't like Tidus to begin with.

Ninjimbo

People are piling on the hate train because it's fashionable right now. Based off of the audio drama transcript, this is a way better story direction than X-2 — and that's coming from someone who really liked that game. I'm just as cautious as the next guy when it comes to Final Fantasy sequels, but nothing presented here seems particularly offensive. Looking at the consequences of resurrection via the Fayth actually seems like a really compelling plot point for this world to explore.
I really liked X-2's story in retrospect. When I first played it, the game didn't really resonate with me mostly because I rushed it -- my first play through finished with a percentile in the 40s. It wasn't until my second play through several months later that I settled down and actually saw the rest of the game. Seeing all those optional cutscenes really fleshed out the themes and characters for me. It made sense that they took the story in that direction especially because FFX is a depressing as fuck game if you think about it. X is about death, and the stagnation that comes with routine and tradition. X-2 is about people rebuilding and trying to find themselves in a world that for the first time is starting to change.

X-2 is a more unique game than people give it credit for. I wish it wasn't bashed as much as it is, but that's the way things are.

anaron

I really liked X-2's story in retrospect. When I first played it, the game didn't really resonate with me mostly because I rushed it -- my first play through finished with a percentile in the 40s. It wasn't until my second play through several months later that I settled down and actually saw the rest of the game. Seeing all those optional cutscenes really fleshed out the themes and characters for me. It made sense that they took the story in that direction especially because FFX is a depressing as fuck game if you think about it. X is about death, and the stagnation that comes with routine and tradition. X-2 is about people rebuilding and trying to find themselves in a world that for the first time is starting to change.

X-2 is a more unique game than people give it credit for. I wish it wasn't bashed as much as it is, but that's the way things are.

Aspects of X-2 bug me, (especially Tidus' return) but it's objectively a fantastic game and more or less the right way to approach a sequel in a natural and logical progression - on a basic level, anyhow.

Erigu

Didn't really care for the audio drama, because Chiami is really a horrid POV. I wished Nojima tells this segment via Kurugam instead. A little bland, but at least not annoying.
A better voice actress would have helped a bit, because the one they picked, really...

I am actually slightly more interested in the X-2.5 novel, since it was said to be darker and contains shocking revelations (I roughly know what's going to happen, but would like to get a clearer image). Now it does spit on Tidus x Yuna relationship, but I don't really mind NTR especially if it has a resolving ending and plot points explained. Also helps that I don't like Tidus to begin with.
From what I've read, it's mostly Yuna's character that suffers, in the sense that the novel makes her sound like a terrible person. Tidus is more of a victim overall.
(and I believe the NTR aspect actually concerns another couple
from 1000 years ago
)

Dark_castle

From what I've read, it's mostly Yuna's character that suffers, in the sense that the novel makes her sound like a terrible person. Tidus is more of a victim overall.
(and I believe the NTR aspect actually concerns another couple
from 1000 years ago
)

That's strange. It felt like Yuna still has a lot of feelings for Tidus in the audio drama, especially after knowing that she wants to protect Tidus by not asking for his help against reborn Sin.

Unless something drastic happens, I have no clue as to how Yuna would suddenly turn into another identity. But she did acknowledge in the audio drama that she felt weird or something.

Erigu

That's strange. It felt like Yuna still has a lot of feelings for Tidus in the audio drama, especially after knowing that she wants to protect Tidus by not asking for his help against reborn Sin.
From what I gather, the novel makes her sound selfish and condescending towards Tidus, whom she seems to view as a child who hasn't changed one bit. Which... well, I guess she is older, now (
whereas he's apparently stopped aging
), sure, but still...

Dark_castle

From what I gather, the novel makes her sound selfish and condescending towards Tidus, whom she seems to view as a child who hasn't changed one bit. Which... well, I guess she is older, now (
), sure, but still...

Ugh, not liking the sound of that. It would be fine if it's someone else other than Yuna who behave like so, but a kind and forgiving Yuna that we know from X, it's certainly mind-boggling to see the direction of her personality and the novel.

I heard the novel also ended with
...to be continued.
Is that true?

Erigu

I heard the novel also ended with
...to be continued.
Is that true?
From what I've heard, yes.

By the way, the names of the new characters from the audio drama seem to follow "Tidus" and "Yuna"'s trend of being derived from Okinawan words: Kurgum's name is probably based on "kurukumu" ("dark clouds"), and Chuami's name on "cuami" ("rainfall"). The Final Fantasy series sure loves its weather-themed names.

jiggle

I thought lightning is the dark cloud

), sure, but still...
reading that got me thinking
watch them pull a
shadow hearts 2
then I remembered the underlake scene
ick

Korezo

And all this time after FFX I thought Tidus in the end just went back to his timeline. I beat FFX when I was 12, and now must play hd version because I obviously was just playing to play and didn't know wth was going on. I don't even remember what I thought FFX-2 was.

Mario007

So wait are the spoilers in the OP for the novel or for the audio drama? Thread title mentions novel but OP mentiones audio drama?

Dark_castle

What does the Amazon review mean? I'm not catching the big spoiler here...

Basically what's been discussed in the few posts above.

Tidus apparently was murdered in a gruesome death. Yuna somehow revived(?) him, but their relationship didn't end well. Yuna was depicted as a cruel, selfish lady against Tidus. Nobody knows if that's the writing issue or truly intentional. Readers felt sympathy for Tidus.
Story was apparently way darker than X-2.

So wait are the spoilers in the OP for the novel or for the audio drama? Thread title mentions novel but OP mentiones audio drama?

OP is for audio drama. And it's called Final Fantasy X ~Will~. X-2.5 is the novel.

Ok so why is the title of the thread referencing the novel? Is there a FF X 2.5 plot summary somewhere?

This thread originated as a post in another thread; I didn't actually type the title. It was probably from before any of us knew the novel and the audio drama were actually two different stuff.

I don't think there's a plot summary of the novel yet. Just vague Amazon reviews.

Erigu

It was probably from before any of us knew the novel and the audio drama were actually two different stuff.
That's been known for a while, actually (at least a couple of months?). Maybe not by many people around here, but... ^^;
But yeah, correcting that topic title would really help...

Zafir

The audio drama doesn't seem too bad, though it isn't great either.

I'm more worried for this book now. >.<

FFX was great. Then they made the protagonist and her friends into pop stars.. Like actual singing and dancing and slutty clothing popstars.

I'm choosing to believe to the sequels don't exist.

Esura

Banned
FFX was great. Then they made the protagonist and her friends into pop stars.. Like actual singing and dancing and slutty clothing popstars.

FYI, in the opening scene that's not Yuna singing Real Emotion. In the opening it even says "Yuna?". It's LeBlanc impersonating her. Yuna only sings like once throughout the game. They are sphere hunters, not pop stars.

I didn't think after all these years people still keep uttering FFX-2 and pop stars under the same sentence/breath/whatever.

I could have sworn they told her to stop trying to do shit by yourself in the first game.

>_>

Wazzy

Banned

Gross slut shaming.

And you should get your facts straight if you're going to attack the story. As mentioned, It's a fake in the beginning. The sequel is actually pretty good and expands on the world and the aftermath of Sin being destroyed. Gives Yuna a chance to enjoy herself and finally experience life while also maturing.

Don't forget; we're now getting testy teenagers with boob envy. Really now. Really.

It doesn't know what it wants to be. That's the sign of bad writing. You can't just hope back and forth all willy-nilly. And I know some asshat'll trying to retort by saying, "That's how people are in REAL LIFE!!! People can act serious and mature, then spout off immature things and act all stupid!! It's real!!". Sometimes things like that in real life are given more leeway because it's REAL LIFE. Real life isn't confined to a small amount of time where you MUST tell a fulfilling story within that given period. In a story(be it a book, a movie or game), a structured story, you have so less time to develop characters and make them believable within the context of the story's world. You can't just keep changing them, especially if it's a major focus of some of the stories is the growth/maturity of the character(s).

Top Bottom