• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X -Will- and FFX-2.5 plot discussion thread [Up2: Uh, um, errr, see OP]

I'm so sorry

Michael-Scott-Failing-to-Hold-In-Laughter.gif

That timing was too perfect. Can we just end this thread here, do we need to say more. Brilliant!

rubius01

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is glorious. Its like its a 7th grader trying to be "mature" and the only mature things they know are sex and upber violence.
I can't stop laughing. I need this to be translated. Please.

Levyne

Banned
Thinking Squaresoft had bad plots is one thing but equating their quality to Square-Enix's and "that nothing changed, we got older" is such dumb, hand waving BS.

Yeah there's a little gap between a soul being somehow attached to the mortal realm and mistaking a bomb for a sporting good.

Mesoian

They're not retconning the entire second game.

True, they're retconning the ending. the super special secret ending that they put so much emphesis on players getting 101% to see.

Man. Is there a term for when jumping the shark jumps the shark?

Narroo

You make it seems like SE never wrote bad stories before the FFXIII trilogy. FFVIII had a mediocre convoluted plot that no people understood. It was so poorly woven together that obsessed fans came up with insane theories to try give it a meaning.

FFX also had very far-fetched twists that brought down the game.
Auron being already dead and Tidus/Jecht/Auron being dreams of the sleeping fayths was also quite the ridiculous plot twist.

XII stopped having a decent plot after you went to prove that Ashe was the real princess of Damlasca.You can say all you want about Matsuno's departure but they still decided to release the game in that state. It started as a political intrigue and eventually changed to a generic go there and kill this.

FFIV even had you going on the moon in a giant whale spaceship.

I see no reason to automatically expect greatness for the plot of XV.

Then you are kinda missing the entire point of this conversation. Two things: Consistency, and execution.

First, the issue of consistency:

The problem here is that the style, tone, and quality, of the audio drama and the novel doesn't seem to match up with the older games. People were already upset by FFX-2 and this is a bit worse. Final Fantasy IV can fly you in as many space whales as it wants, that's fine! It's an original story, it can do whatever it likes! No one has every said that the phrase "giant space whale to the moon" automatically makes a plot poor. If its done right, it works.

But only if it's consistent. For instance, having Harry Potter fly a giant spacewhale to the moon to face down against Voldemort- wait, did my spell check just recognize Voldemort as a proper noun- all the fans would be upset. Why? Because it doesn't fit to the book series as established. It would neither fit the established plot conventions or the world of Harry Potter. It would be a blatant butt-pull and a series of such deviations could change the essence of Harry Potter stories which people like. It might not be Harry Potter.

Also, if Rowling decided to write Harry Potter in the style of "The Sound and the Fury" we'd also have a lot of upset fans. It would be a complete shift and an unnecessary shift. It would change the essence of Harry Potter everyone liked. It wouldn't be Harry Potter.

This is part of why people are upset. There is a lack of consistency to these updates that threaten to throw everything that people liked about FFX out the window for no good reason.
---
The other thing is execution. This one's a bit simpler: The novella and audio drama seem to have poor execution. They're not well written and are worse than the original game which was questionable, but not too bad. Combined with the lack of consistency, people are getting a bit upset. But more than that, it's a symptom of incredibly bad writing. You know it's bad writing because these things repulse people- simple as that. No one would say Rowling was a genius for making Harry ride a space whale while narrating in the style of "Odysseus."

Note that none of this is really dependent on the quality of previous FF games. While many were poorly written, or not really written at all, they were all stand-alone games. This is important because they can "own" any internal goofiness, to a point, and get away with a lot more that a sequel can. In particular, what these sequel bait entries, along with FFXIII's and KH's sequels highlight is an ineptitude that goes far beyond the faults of previous entries while insulting a previous game people liked. As such, people are not confident that Square-Enix can make a coherent series that respects its own entries. It seems at best they can make a single solid entry, and that's it. But with their new found love for sequels...hah.

P.S.
There are a few more things I could talk about, but I'm tired and this post is long. But, there are other issues, such as changing themes that trample over the previous entries. (It's also a form of inconsistency.)

This is funny in a way like that one kid who wrote FFX fanfic in his spare time, but he wanted to be TEH MATUREZ so he put in sex and cartoon level violence in the most forced, inept way possible.

Except it's not a small child, but a grown ass man whos actually heading up the story for the next FF so many hopes and dreams are based on.

So now its even funnier

I always felt like FF never really got that much worse, it's just that the rest of the industry got better at visuals/story/presentation, something Square was miles ahead of everyone else in back in the late 90s/early 00s, while Squeenix just kinda stagnated.

Nope, most Squaresoft games are better in those aspects than FF13, played today, so no. Hell, FF14 is miles better than 13. Problem is a big part of SE has terrible ideas and terrible taste and a terrible vision and a small part can only do a game like every 4 years while the rest is churning out Lightning games and other ways of milking FF.

Shinta

Banned
Final Fantasy IV can fly you in as many space whales as it wants, that's fine! It's an original story, it can do whatever it likes! No one has every said that the phrase "giant space whale to the moon" automatically makes a plot poor. If its done right, it works.
I think people are kidding themselves if they don't realize the earlier games benefitted massively from decreased expectations in game writing at the time. The space whale never "worked."

Nothing in that game works. You visit a city of midgets and no one explains why. Then you drop down to the center of the earth and see a race of dwarves that no one knows anything about, but you don't really get any story on it besides "lali-ho" and you move on with it. Apparently there's a secret academy of dancers that spans the entire globe, with one in every bar in the world, but no one ever explains that.

The mythology and back story of the game is barely more developed than, "there are elemental crystals that maintain balance in the world and its bad if they're moved."

At that time in gaming history, people were just blown away that a game even had a story, period. Some parts of them hold up. Some parts of them are laugh out loud ridiculous. None of the dialogue is very well written either. None of the games had voice acting, or even remotely realistic looking characters.

People tease about "mom's are tough" now. Imagine if it had "you spoony bard!!!"? That line is oddly treasured now, but it's some of the worst writing ever. Shows how different the standards are now.

Jesus.

I am now more glad than ever that I disregard FFX-2 in its entirety, because... Jesus, I can't imagine what I'd be feeling if I gave a shit about the plot of the universe past FFX.

...Jesus.

A general rule I have if that clunky dialog/storytelling sounds less ridiculous when you don't say it outloud, so that's another boon to pre-FFX stories in retrospect. You make up so much of it your head, feeling around the limitations, you do a lot of work for them.

As David Cage and FFXIII continues to prove, more graphics + more actors + more dialog =! better stories

In all honestly I would not mind X-2 being a dream completely, but I would GLADLY keep it at X-2 if they were to really come up with that Drama BS. It really is as bad a teenage fanfic.

Narroo

I think people are kidding themselves if they don't realize the earlier games benefitted massively from decreased expectations in game writing at the time. The space whale never "worked."

Nothing in that game works. You visit a city of midgets and no one explains why. Then you drop down to the center of the earth and see a race of dwarves that no one knows anything about, but you don't really get any story on it besides "lali-ho" and you move on with it. Apparently there's a secret academy of dancers that spans the entire globe, with one in every bar in the world, but no one ever explains that.

The mythology and back story of the game is barely more developed than, "there are elemental crystals that maintain balance in the world and its bad if they're moved."

At that time in gaming history, people were just blown away that a game even had a story, period. Some parts of them hold up. Some parts of them are laugh out loud ridiculous. None of the dialogue is very well written either. None of the games had voice acting, or even remotely realistic looking characters.

People tease about "mom's are tough" now. Imagine if it had "you spoony bard!!!"? That line is oddly treasured now, but it's some of the worst writing ever. Shows how different the standards are now.

Haven't played FFIV in a long time (rented it, never beat it), but if I remember correctly, it wasn't really a huge, story driven, drama. It had some dramatic tension, but overall it was more like a cartoon-adventure. I wouldn't take it as seriously as FFX or FFXIII whose story was intended to be more fully developed and serious. I mean, my god, you wouldn't blast Ace Ventura for having Ace survive a shark attack while trying to play James Bond, would you?! In the same sense, comparing the writing of FFIV's and FFX's is like apples and oranges. They're both fruit, and you can say which one you like better, and even compare the quality of each bushel in terms of bruises amd scratches- but once you start complaining that the Apple doesn't have enough citric acid to be a "good fruit," you've gone too far.

Just when I thought FF couldn't get any worse. This shit is more cringe-worthy than most fan fictions, even they have better plots than this. Jesus Christ.

And fucking LOL @ Tidus having his head blown off.

No reaction gif conveys the lunacy of this. Is no one reading this in Japan and going "Alright, alright stop, this is a fucking joke right?"

Mesoian

No reaction gif conveys the lunacy of this. Is no one reading this in Japan and going "Alright, alright stop, this is a fucking joke right?"

I don't have sales figures in front of me, but my money is on "No in japan is buying this".

There's a gif for everything. I find this sums up my whole audio drama, novel, x-3 experience.

today-i-saw-some-weird-shit-gif.gif

The boobs are coming. I just know it. There HAS to be official illustrations of the naughty scenes from the novel, right? That would be the icing on the cake.

Haven't played FFIV in a long time (rented it, never beat it), but if I remember correctly, it wasn't really a huge, story driven, drama. It had some dramatic tension, but overall it was more like a cartoon-adventure.

FFIV was intended to be taken very seriously. Something melodramatic was going on every 20 minutes (although character "deaths" were softened so that they could sell it to kids and Americans without making a lot of changes.) It just seemed cartoony because the writing wasn't that great

Shinta

Banned

I think it really depends on the setting, the build up, and the language used. The unfortunate thing about skimming a bullet pointed list of spoiler summary is you basically lose everything in the actual craft of constructing and telling a story.

You could bullet point Argo and make it sound absolutely ridiculous. It's not like a terrorist bomb attack is exactly poor writing right away. How is the scene actually constructed? Who planted the bomb? Why? Why make it a blitzball (if it even is a blitzball)?

And it's not like sex magic is automatically awful. Game of Thrones has sex magic specifically for summoning as well. And Tidus and Yuna have been a couple for a while now, so they're probably past the whole "first kiss" phase. I'm kind of glad SQEX is actually entertaining putting more mature elements in the story, finally. Particularly with a relationship like this.

I'd just rather read the story myself, professionally translated. But I know that's probably not happening, so spoilers is the best we are getting now.

People should just realize that bullet points are not the same as reading a novel.

FFIV was intended to be taken very seriously. Something melodramatic was going on every 20 minutes (although character "deaths" were softened so that they could sell it to kids and Americans without making a lot of changes.) It just seemed cartoony because the writing wasn't that great

Pretty much this.

It's even more evident in the DS remake.

No, no. Worse. The content in the OP gives me the assurance that one of my favorite franchises is well and truly dead. God why don't square let new talent have a go.

You have a Klonoa avatar, you should be used to dead franchises.

HA HA

I am so sorry

Mesoian

And it was 8 bit in a time of...let's say levity, when it came to video game stories.

I think it really depends on the setting, the build up, and the language used. The unfortunate thing about skimming a bullet pointed list of spoiler summary is you basically lose everything in the actual craft of constructing and telling a story.

You could bullet point Argo and make it sound absolutely ridiculous. It's not like a terrorist bomb attack is exactly poor writing right away. How is the scene actually constructed? Who planted the bomb? Why? Why make it a blitzball (if it even is a blitzball)?

And it's not like sex magic is automatically awful. Game of Thrones has sex magic specifically for summoning as well. And Tidus and Yuna have been a couple for a while now, so they're probably past the whole "first kiss" phase. I'm kind of glad SQEX is actually entertaining putting more mature elements in the story, finally. Particularly with a relationship like this.

I'd just rather read the story myself, professionally translated. But I know that's probably not happening, so spoilers is the best we are getting now.

People should just realize that bullet points are not the same as reading a novel.

SE has done nothing in the past 8 years to inspire any sort of confidence in their ability to write mature, well-developed characters that act with a consistent logic. And explicitly mentioning sex feels like a weird gambit on their part. FF always has super-revealing costumes, or a literal sex-bunny race, but nothing resembling sex between characters.

Top Bottom