• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2014 |OT| Kumhau, The Blackthorne Coven, and the Mog Wardrobe.

Pejo

Gold Member
Lost some of the best years of my life to this game. 10+ years of playing this too damn much. Still one of my favorite games of all time, and the only MMO experience I've had that really hooked me.

New stuff looks really cool, especially that Storyline NPC party stuff, but i just...can't....join again. Glad to see it's still doing well though.

What are the pet foods to eat as PUP? I can't find any info on the new foods anywhere.

Also any basic endgame gearing advice for PUP? Top priority items?

Supposing that all I want to do is see the story of the game, is it feasible to just solo your way through the story now? And how long would that even take?

Supposing that all I want to do is see the story of the game, is it feasible to just solo your way through the story now? And how long would that even take?

CoP expansion is not going to be possible, and that is the best story in the game.

SE should just make an offline FFXI so more ppl can enjoy the beauty of FFXI story and world.

ZetaEpyon

CoP expansion is not going to be possible, and that is the best story in the game.

SE should just make an offline FFXI so more ppl can enjoy the beauty of FFXI story and world.

Nah, CoP is easily soloable now, but you'll need to get a max-level character of course.
Also, I think Wings of the Goddess is better now that I've finished that recently. :p

What are the pet foods to eat as PUP? I can't find any info on the new foods anywhere.

Also any basic endgame gearing advice for PUP? Top priority items?

Shiromochi is the new accuracy food for you and your pet. kusamochi is attack, akamochi acc and attack but slightly less. You'll need to gear for acc to hit things.

Also:

12819.jpg

Announcing the Campaign Festa and Alter Ego Expo! (07/01/2014)
Prepare for better rewards and more comfortable adventures with these two new events!

Event Details
1) Campaign Festa
Campaign will undergo the following adjustments throughout the event.

- Experience and allied notes earned from evaluations will be doubled.
- The amount of spoils obtained from treasure chests when participating in unions will be increased.

The possibilities in this festa are endless: acquire notes to exchange for the alter egos available in the Summer Alter Ego Extravaganza, earn some campaign medals, or simply take the opportunity to gain some levels.

A future version update will contain some content that will resonate with those who have completed the Wings of the Goddess story. One of the other benefits of this event is that medals will no longer be forfeited upon proceeding with quests that accompany this main storyline, providing the perfect opportunity to see the mission to its exciting climax.

Furthermore, the following four Campaign Ops will provide special rewards in addition to their normal spoils, including montiont silverpieces, 100-byne bills, Lungo-Nango jadeshells, and more.

- Splitting Heirs
- Cracking Shells
- Plucking Wings
- Fiat Lux

Campaign Period: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 from 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Tuesday, July 29 at the same hour.

2) Alter Ego Expo
Alter egos will receive the following improvements for the duration of the event.

- Maximum HP and MP will be increased by a factor of 1.5.
- A strong resistance to status ailments will be granted.

With alter egos ready to join your parties as of the June version update, and level syncing becoming available in July, there's never been a better time to take these storied characters into battle!

Campaign Period: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 from 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Tuesday, July 22 at the same hour.

People talk about soloing, but how possible is it to do some of the story content with two or three people?

With the right combination of jobs easy, and you do not need to have a max lvl character.

Since there is some conflicting information, let me clear this up.

You can begin advancing through the story at a low level. For the main story, if you get about 10-15 levels per rank, you should be in a good position. Keep in mind you will be sent to higher level zones under the expectation that you will avoid combat in them at times.

Zilart isn't something you'll be able to access until rank 5, and you should be 75+ by then. 90+ should be able to solo effectively.

CoP progress can be made at around 30 without too much trouble, but it scales faster than standard missions.

TOAU is pretty much all 60+ content, 90+ should be able to solo a lot.

Wotg is mostly 60+ content. You'll be able to solo most of it at 99 without an issue. As this came out during the transition from 75 to 90, it has content designed for that level.

Abyssea is all 75+ content, you'll need to be 80+ to really do much of anything, but you can enter at 30 for xp.

Adoulin is all 99+ content, no real exceptions. Even at 99, when the expansion first came out, monsters were pretty tough outside town. Now that item level gear has been introduced, you can basically go from 99 -> 117 almost instantly via sparks gear. The extra defensive stats will trivialize a lot of really dangerous stuff from other expansions, and allow you to content tourist away. You won't be invincible by any stretch of the imagination, but you'll certainly be less likely to get floored by an ill timed nuke and such. Actual Adoulin content will still prove quite the challenge though.

12795.jpg

Trusts from the new campaign can be acquired from the npcs below.

NPCs capable of making the exchange, their location, and price they charge
Cipher: Elivira
Shenni in Bastok Markets (F-9)
1,000 Allied Notes
Cipher: Noillurie
Shixo in Southern San d'Oria (F-9)
1,000 Allied Notes
Cipher: Lhu
Shuvo in Windurst Waters (G-7)
1,000 Allied Notes
Cipher: F. Coffin
Various Records of Eminence representatives
500 Sparks of Eminence

These are only available for a limited time, and are noteworthy because they are the original relic weapon wielders. They also use the special ws associated with their weapons.

If you're newer to the game, getting to wotg and earning a few thousand allied notes isn't too hard. There's even some non combat jobs you can do to get points. Remember you can trade copper vouchers for points too.

Additionally, I noticed Valaineral was back on the menu yesterday while looking for the new npcs above. It looks like the trusts below are purchasable from the corresponding points npcs.

Currency and Item Name
Conquest Points – Cipher: Tenzen
Imperial Standing – Cipher: Mihli
Allied Notes – Cipher: Valaineral
Cruor – Cipher: Joachim

Seigyoku

Last day to earn points for Login Campaign #12 is today. Under a week to redeem them, that ends effectively on Sunday night (early Monday morning, but why risk it!)

Expect word on Campaign #13 sometime in-between.

Man, finally got to see first hand just how fast you level solo with trusts. Decided to throw on my Wonder armor on my 34 monk and see what I could do. You can easily kill IT mobs and the exp just flows. I'm 46 now and it's only been a couple of hours. I also have no clue if I'm exping effienctly, just going to traditional PT spots and using w/e combo of trusts I feel is fun.

Man, finally got to see first hand just how fast you level solo with trusts. Decided to throw on my Wonder armor on my 34 monk and see what I could do. You can easily kill IT mobs and the exp just flows. I'm 46 now and it's only been a couple of hours. I also have no clue if I'm exping effienctly, just going to traditional PT spots and using w/e combo of trusts I feel is fun.

Fun is the important part. Some folks like standing in worm parties, personally I prefer running voidwatch for xp nowadays.

What server did you wind up on?

Husker86

It's pretty crazy. I went from 76-80 on my PLD in Sky. Then I decided to cap my DNC sub. It was 37 and now I'm 46 after maybe 2 hours.

I got really confused at first though. I didn't realize they were having a double experience week, so when I first came back the exp I was getting (especially since I was using my Anniversary ring) was just unbelievable. It's still awesome though. I am doing Western Altepa on my DNC and when I chain I was getting 1,000+ exp. Solo. Crazyness.

I'm on Carbuncle by the way, if anyone else is. Someone I played with back at launch (and for years after) might come back so I'm not going to transfer yet. If he doesn't come back I'll come over to GAF server.

Wilsongt

So... I downloaded the game over the last couple of days. Joined Sylph. Elevan Red Mage. I have no idea what I am doing. XD

name is Tarethen.

It's pretty crazy. I went from 76-80 on my PLD in Sky. Then I decided to cap my DNC sub. It was 37 and now I'm 46 after maybe 2 hours.

I got really confused at first though. I didn't realize they were having a double experience week, so when I first came back the exp I was getting (especially since I was using my Anniversary ring) was just unbelievable. It's still awesome though. I am doing Western Altepa on my DNC and when I chain I was getting 1,000+ exp. Solo. Crazyness.

I'm on Carbuncle by the way, if anyone else is. Someone I played with back at launch (and for years after) might come back so I'm not going to transfer yet. If he doesn't come back I'll come over to GAF server.

Bring him with you.

So... I downloaded the game over the last couple of days. Joined Sylph. Elevan Red Mage. I have no idea what I am doing. XD

name is Tarethen.

Check the OP for a list of people who have pearlsacks. Just keep looking for us until we get you in. If I don't respond I'm probably afk selling crap in jeuno. I'm mostly active from 6pm-1am est.

Seigyoku

So over on the JP side it was posted that the next "Freshly Pickled Vana'diel Digest" would be streamed on 7月8日(火) 21:00~

(That's like 8 AM EDT on the 8th here.)

For those of you new to this, sometime last year Matsui (the guy in charge) had been running these digests when update happen. He and Mocchi (one of the JP community reps) go over what is new/changed in the update that just went live, and preview things to come from events and the following update. While sadly the video is Japanese only, they do eventually link it on the English forums along with an English summary of what was talked about point-by-point.

The whole thing is rather charmingly low tech. They hold up printed signs and charts and seem amazed every time they get the game to stream properly. Sometimes other devs like the wacky Fujito turn up. (And have to make their announcements on their knees because there is never a third chair.)

But the real reason I am mentioning that day and time is because THESE BROADCASTS ARE TIED TO THE UPDATES. Ergo, the July update is NEXT week. Though I'm still trying to guess when based on the ending of the login redemption period (23:00 JST on 7/7) and the ending/starting times of a bunch of events (17:00 JST 7/8) but none of THOSE require a maintenance. OR DO THEY?

(New login campaigns do require a maintenance, but #13 hasn't been announced... yet.)

Whogie

It sounds like they're trying to make Adoulin soloable with Trusts. Is that really the case? Are they enough to get you through the fights?

It sounds like they're trying to make Adoulin soloable with Trusts. Is that really the case? Are they enough to get you through the fights?

All of the storyline content is a lower content level than the highest current item level (119). Skirmish would be tough to handle with trusts alone, but certainly possible if you were careful and properly geared. Real people will always be better..

Fun is the important part. Some folks like standing in worm parties, personally I prefer running voidwatch for xp nowadays.

What server did you wind up on?
I'm on Lakshmi, but I may move as no one I know is playing anymore and I have no LS.

Just finished my 117 set of gear on PUP, didn't take very long lol. So now I just need to focus on AF upgrades when it comes to spending sparks right?

I want to go Dynamis farm now. I wanna see how much faster I farm with all this new gear. That and I need some cash to buy turbo charger II.

I'm on Lakshmi, but I may move as no one I know is playing anymore and I have no LS.

Just finished my 117 set of gear on PUP, didn't take very long lol. So now I just need to focus on AF upgrades when it comes to spending sparks right?

I want to go Dynamis farm now. I wanna see how much faster I farm with all this new gear. That and I need some cash to buy turbo charger II.

I recommend only spending sparks on the 119 papers (6-10). The SKCM are not particularly rough to set up. You should be fine with eminent h2h and sushi on normal in a DD slot on pup for all the fights (you still need a party) and the whm auto will help with healing and haste.

Just resubbed, updated, and logged in. First order of business is to gain Trusts. I have no idea what the most efficient way to travel is anymore lol

Mr. RPG

You and me both.

This thread is making me want to jump back in.

You and me both.

I just left XIV. I just didn't like it (except the Primal fights. Those were great, but everything else was such a bore.)

I'll probably return whenever we get new jobs (Ninja doesn't count.. I really don't care about Ninja) since my friends keep bugging me to.

I recommend only spending sparks on the 119 papers (6-10). The SKCM are not particularly rough to set up. You should be fine with eminent h2h and sushi on normal in a DD slot on pup for all the fights (you still need a party) and the whm auto will help with healing and haste.
Thanks, I'll make that my next priority along with exploring all the SoA areas and getting myself setup for WKRs I think? As some of those items are apparently best in slot for PUP.

Also I was reading that PUP is one of the best jobs for soloing Salvage II. Anyone have guides or videos for that? I don't have a lot of gil to work with, about 5m or so. I do know how to farm Dynamis.

Thanks, I'll make that my next priority along with exploring all the SoA areas and getting myself setup for WKRs I think? As some of those items are apparently best in slot for PUP.

Also I was reading that PUP is one of the best jobs for soloing Salvage II. Anyone have guides or videos for that? I don't have a lot of gil to work with, about 5m or so. I do know how to farm Dynamis.

Salvage is a part of a hole in my FFXI knowledge. I still haven't been in there once. Once I'm done working on some of my long term projects like ghorn and 119 twashtar I'll consider starting a kenkonken or maybe a tupsimati.

Husker86

:( this worries me.

I have 600k. I have no idea how to make gil in this game anymore. Before, I did alright doing some Smithing synths (though Smithing was never a great money-maker). I'm level 92 in it, but I read that crafting isn't really that great anymore in FFXI.

I have 600k. I have no idea how to make gil in this game anymore. Before, I did alright doing some Smithing synths (though Smithing was never a great money-maker). I'm level 92 in it, but I read that crafting isn't really that great anymore in FFXI.

One of the first things I did after resubbing and log on was look at my gil. 300K :( lol

You can get a nice little daily stipend by playing with your mog garden. The higher tier logs and bonecrafting mats npc for 1-4k each

The non-repeatable records of eminence quests also give items like beitetsu, plutons, and riftborn boulders. They sell to people looking to upgrade relic mythic and empyrean weapons (need 300 of a specific type), or to people looking to make one of the new job specific weapons (need 150 of any type). You can make a decent little chunk of change to get going by completing those and bazaaring them for the current going rate.

I just did a Dynamis run for fun and I came out with about 2m with undercutting prices and not really trying. I didn't pick a good camp and I was on PUP/THF.

I'm surprised relics are still in such high demand. The coin prices haven't changed at all on Lak.

So yeah, that's an easy 2m for me every day, probably more if I planned it out better. Just need to do Salvage as well.

If you are a THF, DNC, SAM, PUP, BST. Just do Dynamis, lol.

Husker86

I just did a Dynamis run for fun and I came out with about 2m with undercutting prices and not really trying. I didn't pick a good camp and I was on PUP/THF.

I'm surprised relics are still in such high demand. The coin prices haven't changed at all on Lak.

So yeah, that's an easy 2m for me every day, probably more if I planned it out better. Just need to do Salvage as well.

If you are a THF, DNC, SAM, PUP, BST. Just do Dynamis, lol.

I have NIN and PLD. PLD is my first love, but I think I might have to get NIN leveled up first. PLD is 80, NIN is 76 currently.

I really need to get into Abyssea. Ru'Aun Gardens Fields of Valor isn't as spectacular without that double exp week boost.

I have NIN and PLD. PLD is my first love, but I think I might have to get NIN leveled up first. PLD is 80, NIN is 76 currently.

I really need to get into Abyssea. Ru'Aun Gardens Fields of Valor isn't as spectacular without that double exp week boost.

Try one of the higher level areas in old zones. Promies have high level empty in them now. Certain areas of other CoP zones have high level stuff. There's also some level 100 mobs at the top of the Bohyada Tree and deep inside Gustav and Kuftal tunnel. The Grounds of Valor and Fields of Valor pages on wiki should have level ranges for the different pages you can do. Go somewhere based on those.

Husker86

Try one of the higher level areas in old zones. Promies have high level empty in them now. Certain areas of other CoP zones have high level stuff. There's also some level 100 mobs at the top of the Bohyada Tree and deep inside Gustav and Kuftal tunnel. The Grounds of Valor and Fields of Valor pages on wiki should have level ranges for the different pages you can do. Go somewhere based on those.

I didn't even know about Grounds of Valor.

I love Boyahda so I'll check that out, and Kuftal/Gustav look like good areas as well. Thanks!

I didn't even know about Grounds of Valor.

I love Boyahda so I'll check that out, and Kuftal/Gustav look like good areas as well. Thanks!

I'm not sure if this is still the case but Grounds of Valor had the advantage over Fields because you can sometimes earn prowess (buffs) for completing a page in the tome. I think the effects stick until you zone and the same effects will stack multiple times.

Loona

Just resubbed, updated, and logged in. First order of business is to gain Trusts. I have no idea what the most efficient way to travel is anymore lol

Are you aware of waypoints? There's a quest line that lets you move between the smaller and more distant towns, and later on lets you warp one-way only to zones as far as Uleguerand Range, the top of Parradamo Tor, or inside beastman dungeons: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Waypoint

New lore post (more of these at the in-story link if you'd like to catch up on the story etc. Be aware it could get spoilery):

From Melvien's Journal: Remnants of the Unknown (07/01/2014)
12834.jpg

Ah, my dear pioneer, you come to me in troubling times. The order is in utter disarray, for reasons I am certain require no exposition on my part. This leaves us with the pressing question of how we can possibly proceed with our head severed from our body.

You wish to know if aught was amiss with master Malecroix?

Truth be told, of late his trips to Celennia Memorial Library had grown longer and more frequent...and he came to abscond to the jungle without alerting either me or any other of his staff.

I told myself that my worries were unfounded. After all, was he not the staunchest supporter of colonization among us all?

But to say I had no concerns would be a bald-faced lie. His sudden disappearances caused me no end of consternation—after all, I have served the order faithfully since his predecessor's predecessor, and it is highly irregular that I not be apprised of his whereabouts.

So...yes. Yes, something clearly was amiss.

Several times I caught him staring at his face in the mirror, gazing and gazing for hours on end. He had such an intensity about him, it was as if he was seeing himself for the first time.

But you must be tired of the ramblings of a simple servant. Forgive me for taking so much of your attention, and pray visit at any time should you require...
Ah! I just remembered something.

(Melvien's aide shuffles toward an ornate cabinet and removes a bound leather book from the uppermost shelf.)

Perhaps this could provide you with insight that I cannot.

When I entered Lord Melvien's chambers to put his affairs in order, I chanced upon this volume open on his desk. The ink was clear and crisp, and, though I am loathe to pry, it appears to be a collection of his insights into the colonization movement. I would draw your attention to the final entry.

What was it that he witnessed?

Loona

A rather sploilery one, but it's pretty interesting that they've updated the site every once in a while with Melvien's musings since SoA was released.

Which reminds me, I finally got my Maat's cap last night - I was hoping to get that before the Trust CS, but nope - still, the old man mentioned just about every limit break quest since his defeat, plus an insight into his implied conjugal life (there's a very slight hint at whom his wife is in Lower Jeuno).
Fun stuff, and the sort of thing that makes the game feel like a living world at times.

A rather sploilery one, but it's pretty interesting that they've updated the site every once in a while with Melvien's musings since SoA was released.

Which reminds me, I finally got my Maat's cap last night - I was hoping to get that before the Trust CS, but nope - still, the old man mentioned just about every limit break quest since his defeat, plus an insight into his implied conjugal life (there's a very slight hint at whom his wife is in Lower Jeuno).
Fun stuff, and the sort of thing that makes the game feel like a living world at times.

TBH the first time you see the guy you should kinda know something is up anyway. They don't exactly obfuscate it with his character design. I'm not even that far in the story and I'm like "oh, surpriiiiiiiiiiiise" :: twirls finger::

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I soloed almost everything in RotZ, CoP, ToAU, WotG, and the mini expansions as a Monk with ilvl 117 gear. I really only needed help with escort missions (ugh, I hate escort missions) and the last boss of A Crystalline Prophecy. Going for my Black belt and the Abyssea zone bosses now. So yeah. Don't be worried about soloing old content.

You think Trusts will ever be allowed into KSNM fights? Wyrm is impossible to solo as MNK cause of his flying. Makes grinding for a Wyrm Beard pretty annoying.

saher

Banned
Resubbed ; ; , got the new trusts ! i love how with Joachim's songs,haste from Ferreous Coffin and haste samba makes my dancer attack non-stop <3

You can get a nice little daily stipend by playing with your mog garden. The higher tier logs and bonecrafting mats npc for 1-4k each

How do you increase the rank?

Said eff it to exploring SoA today, maybe tomorrow, instead my goal was this:

b41ae1e.png

I kinda feel badass, even despite Gadalar's aoe spam.

More dev posts!

[dev1221] Quality of Life Adjustments
12845.jpg

Certain conditions for progressing with missions and quests have been revised.
Players will no longer have to wait for Japanese midnight, or, when applicable, midnight on Japanese Monday, to progress in the following quests and missions. Instead, waiting periods will be set at a maximum of one minute (Earth time).
Coming of Age / Blue Ribbon Blues / A Greeting Cardian / The Sacred Katana / Yomi Okuri / A Thief in Norg!? / The Missing Piece / Better the Demon You Know / Behind the Smile / Tuning In / Tuning Out / Finding Faults / Got It All / Give a Moogle a Break / The Moogle's Picnic! / Moogles in the Wild

Alter egos will undergo the following adjustments.
Players will be able to call them forth while in a level sync party.

Players will be able to fight with them in the following Treasures of Aht Urhgan mission battlefields.
The Black Coffin / Shield of Diplomacy / Puppet in Peril
* Any alter egos called forth before entering the battlefield for The Black Coffin will disappear upon entering and must be summoned again.
* Alter egos cannot be called forth inside the battlefields for Shield of Diplomacy and Puppet in Peril, and thus must be summoned before entering.

The categories under Edit Comment in the Search section of the main menu will be adjusted in the following manner.

Pre-adjustment &#8594; Post-adjustment
EXP Party &#8594; EXP Party
Mission &#8594; Battle Content
Quest &#8594; Missions & Quests
Battlefield &#8594; Item
Item &#8594; Linkshell
Synthesis &#8594; Looking for Friends
Magian &#8594; Others
Others &#8594; None

The following text command will be introduced.
/targetbnpc
Targets the closest NPC or monster within a certain radius that can participate in battle.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/t...ality-of-Life-Adjustments?p=514778#post514778

Played for like five hours last night. Feels like I am visiting an old friend who has had some additions made on his house. With FF XI 2003 I was visiting a cottage, and that has now morphed into a massive castle complex. Pulled my old Brady guide off the shelf and wondered what it would look like if it had been updated since 03'.

Now I am off to get my trust companions. I am assuming (hoping) that they don't run out after a time limit like my npc companion.

Top Bottom