• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI | OT | Vana'diel Forever

Loona

But they fixed the beetle's foot, so the game can finally be put to rest.

They announced more updates through next December.

Wasn't the issue with the beetles that one of their feet was backwards? The update notes only mentioned something about the animation speed - but maybe that's an intermediate step on something present in lots of zones that they want to be careful with?

Parshias7

Wasn't the issue with the beetles that one of their feet was backwards? The update notes only mentioned something about the animation speed - but maybe that's an intermediate step on something present in lots of zones that they want to be careful with?

I'm hearing from people who've gotten the update that the foot is on the right way now.

In fact, I hear the very first thing you see when you get to Reisenjima is a beetle, lol.

Parshias7

Just finished Rhapsodies.

My goodness, what a ride. I am totally spent.

Are the fight(s) doable with just trusts, or will we need to team up with other players? Probably won't be hard to find people looking to do the fights tonight, assuming the update doesn't take 11,000 hours.

ZetaEpyon

Are the fight(s) doable with just trusts, or will we need to team up with other players? Probably won't be hard to find people looking to do the fights tonight, assuming the update doesn't take 11,000 hours.

They're harder than the previous ones. I don't think the final battle is realistically going to be soloable for anyone, even with trusts. I got killed as a well-equipped 99 DNC, and would have lost if I didn't have another actual player along.

Also, quote this post for a link to a rar file of the update files. It'll save you a lot of time.

Parshias7

They're harder than the previous ones. I don't think the final battle is realistically going to be soloable for anyone, even with trusts. I got killed as a well-equipped 99 DNC, and would have lost if I didn't have another actual player along.

Also, quote this post for a link to a rar file of the update files. It'll save you a lot of time.

I'll give this a shot when I get home today. Hopefully I won't be kicking myself for not starting the update before I left for work this morning.

Loona

FF Record Keeper apparently added a FFXI item to celebrate the occasion:
http://imgur.com/FXwxhKN

Not quite canon, since the depicted fight is way below what Shantotto would bother with, but it's a nice reference none the less.

I read on BlueGartr that Record Keeper is finally adding a FFXI world in January.

I assume I just copy those files into my XI directory, overwriting/merging as I go?

I'll give this a shot when I get home today. Hopefully I won't be kicking myself for not starting the update before I left for work this morning.

I left mine running overnight and found it had gotten ~25% of the way through, then it timed out about an hour later. You can leave it running and as the servers drain of the JST crowd it will get easier, but that's no guarantee.

Loona

I'm hearing from people who've gotten the update that the foot is on the right way now.

In fact, I hear the very first thing you see when you get to Reisenjima is a beetle, lol.

The end of an era:

P6suspe.png

One more major update and they might have done something about Cid's teeth, the one thing no master white mage can heal.

Parshias7

Already noticing the best qol improvement ever, trusts are now sorted by role

I actually took the time to manually sort Trusts that way about a month ago.

I wonder what the new items in SR are? Maybe they're talking about the fourth slot item drops rather than equipment.

ZetaEpyon

Pejo

Man I gave this game like 7 years of my life, but I'd really like to see the story through to the end. I stopped playing before Adoulin sometime, but I think i'm close to 99 in most jobs. Realistically, how hard would it be for me to gear up enough (i guess they added item level to this game?) to be able to get in and do anything past Adoulin? I think the last time i was playing, I was working on empyrean weapons.

No further story content feels so weird to say, since it's gone on for so long. I understand it's the sort of thing that can't go on forever, of course.

Kudos to the OP for putting all of this together.

Parshias7

Sitting here at work reading all the update discoveries is driving me nuts.

There's a goblin in the new area that can store merit points for you, up to 100,000,000. (!!) After you give him 100 merits he starts asking for stuff from Limbus, Delve, etc., and it seems like giving him these items unlocks the ability to trade him points for drops from those events? But no one knows how to get points...

Joe T.

So how's the Rhapsodies storyline as a whole? Is it any good? Does it have any ret-cons?

And is it solo-able?

Your mileage will vary, of course, but if you enjoyed any of the previous storylines in the game chances are you'll enjoy Rhapsodies. I found the first two chapters weak on their own, too few missions and the fights laughably easy, but this final chapter made for a fantastic sendoff. You can solo all of it with the very last fight being the only challenging one, requiring either a little finesse or brute strength, depending on job/gear.

megazone

Neo Member
I had FFXI running as localhost about a year ago but I found the code to be really buggy and unplayable, might give it another try as I love just running around this world.
Anyone else done this recently? Is the code playable? If so what distro or setup instructions are best?

Have they come out with any graphical improvements? I always hoped they would dish out some texture packs to improve the look. I know that they were always limited by the PS2 players as far as what they could do graphically but I never understood why PC couldn't get better looking higher resolution textures.

I had FFXI running as localhost about a year ago but I found the code to be really buggy and unplayable, might give it another try as I love just running around this world.
Anyone else done this recently? Is the code playable? If so what distro or setup instructions are best?

This really isn't the thread to talk about private server stuff on. This is a celebration of the finale and a call to join us on the real servers.

I may have to reactivate my account. I don't really care to get back into the gear grind, but I would really like to finish the story content.

tariniel

This is one of those games I feel like should support a nostalgia server. Just make a server at 75 cap, last patch of Treasures, and put it out there. Could you imagine how many people would consider coming back to try and re-live this game? They can say that it will receive no patches and minimal support, and everyone starts with new characters.

WoW should do it too, really. There's already a market out there in the form of private servers on old versions. Take my money!

Valonquar

Man I gave this game like 7 years of my life, but I'd really like to see the story through to the end. I stopped playing before Adoulin sometime, but I think i'm close to 99 in most jobs. Realistically, how hard would it be for me to gear up enough (i guess they added item level to this game?) to be able to get in and do anything past Adoulin? I think the last time i was playing, I was working on empyrean weapons.

During the long wait on this week's patch in 14, I burned through Adoulin in about a week of fairly casual solo play. There were maybe 2 or 3 missions that I needed help with near the end, but everything else was soloable with trusts. Only the first Rhapsodies of Vana’diel was out then, so more might be soloable now with the extra trust unlocked and other bonuses. The "endgame" stuff outside of storyline looked extremely unexciting to me, so I finished out Adoulin and promptly turned off the sub again. I'll probably go back into 11 one more time to see this final content stuff after clearing out stuff to do in 14 again.

Erasus

So, if they are stopping development, why not make it Buy to Play like GW1/2 and other games like that.

Even F2P with cash shop would probably rake in money. I mean its Final Fantasy!!
Everquest 1 & 2 seems to be doing okay as F2P games...

I am interested but no way I´m paying a sub fee.

ColdPizza

Banned
Wow, end of an era...I stopped playing in like 2007 when I got engaged. I let the game take up too much of my life.

Had a fully leveled Paladin with all of the Koenig armor, and a fully leveled Corsair before they even came out with the AF gear for it, lol.

Nice to see the community still going though.

Ken

Not quite canon, since the depicted fight is way below what Shantotto would bother with, but it's a nice reference none the less.

I read on BlueGartr that Record Keeper is finally adding a FFXI world in January.

XIV is having a XI crossover event too.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2015/The_Maidens_Rhapsody/

I'm sad I didn't make it to level cap when I played during the...Anniversary event (I also got a storm that knocked my power out for a good week during it) but I'm really glad I finally got to experience it. Also, IHOP seemed like a friendly bunch especially Mistwinter, who helped me buy maps!

Tiv is a meanie though and never helped me once. :mad:

ApharmdX

Banned
Have they come out with any graphical improvements? I always hoped they would dish out some texture packs to improve the look. I know that they were always limited by the PS2 players as far as what they could do graphically but I never understood why PC couldn't get better looking higher resolution textures.

Not really. The game can be tweaked on PC a bit to make it cleaner; you can force better texture filtering and supersample from high resolutions.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

No you really wouldn't. Final fight is totally soloable by design.

Both you and Iroha have unlimited reraises. Normally Iroha will cast Araise on you, but even if you both are dead, you will still get raised.

Great finish to the story, really enjoyed it.

Shouta

The item they gave out in FFRK was a Brutal Earring.

ZetaEpyon

I have to quote my own post from the last OT, but man, I am almost at my wit's end trying to get this game to run properly on my current hardware.

It's absolutely crazy that the game has been along for such a long time and I would love to experience it properly one day, but I don't think it'll be in the near future at this point.

FFXI is very CPU-heavy compared to GPU, but that's still really strange. I know that on some laptops you can force a program to use the GPU instead of integrated (I think in the Nvidia control panel?) so maybe you could try that if you havent?

Also, augments on Reisenjima gear seems to be capable of some pretty nice augments, got this earlier:
shalwar.png

Top Bottom