• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI | OT | Vana'diel Forever

Loona

Clicking the shiny thing near the shrine entrance let me proceed, and today I finished RoV.

Apparently it's not uncommon, but the ending brought me to tears - the 8 years put into the game, all the stories enjoyed in it, the acknowledgment of what's happening, the music... Then those pictures near the end providing extra closure to some really old stories, like
Zeid reuniting with the Mythril Musketeers, and Trion getting help from Pieuje on his handwriting which was commented on in ToAU... and I think they also referenced that lady in Jeuno suffering from some sort of vampirism?

I couldn't bring myself to do anything else in the game afterwards and had to log off for the night... I still have pending old quests I'll likely work on, but holy damn...

ZetaEpyon

I couldn't bring myself to do anything else in the game afterwards and had to log off for the night... I still have pending old quests I'll likely work on, but holy damn...

Yeah, when Shadowlina and I finished it in the wee hours of the morning after the patch, we just sat there in the sanctorium and literally didn't move for like the next three hours.

How long are the final cutscenes? I'm running out of drive space to record it all :D

Long - the ending credit roll alone is like 10 minutes long.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
As a Summoner, I appreciated that cut scene towards the end. Summoner-gasm.

edit: And FFXI complete...

No gear reward at the end seems really, really cheap...

While we're on the topic of running XI, how easy is it to 'move' an installation of XI from one machine to another? I don't want to have to go through the agonizing update process every time I reinstall and I'm about to invest in some new hardware as black monday looms.

ApharmdX

Banned
For any returners/fresh players on Sylph, my 12 year old started playing the game, so I'll be getting him through leveling, missions, etc. You're welcome to come with my wife and I while we unlock everything. I'm in IHOP, and my character name is Safiyyah, so I'll try to watch in ls chat.

I just looked through and wow, there's a lot of catch-up for new players. Good thing Trusts/etc. make it so accessible now!

I'm able to run XI on my laptop fine.

What's your setup? I've tried two different laptops with muxless Intel integrated graphics and add-on NVIDIA/AMD GPUs. XI will not run on the add-on cards, period. My current laptop is a Intel but it muxed, so I turn off the integrated graphics and run on the Quadro, which works fine.

I'm not saying that it can't be done but I haven't gotten muxless integrated graphics to work.

For any returners/fresh players on Sylph, my 12 year old started playing the game, so I'll be getting him through leveling, missions, etc. You're welcome to come with my wife and I while we unlock everything. I'm in IHOP, and my character name is Safiyyah, so I'll try to watch in ls chat.

I just looked through and wow, there's a lot of catch-up for new players. Good thing Trusts/etc. make it so accessible now!

What's your setup? I've tried two different laptops with muxless Intel integrated graphics and add-on NVIDIA/AMD GPUs. XI will not run on the add-on cards, period. My current laptop is a Intel but it muxed, so I turn off the integrated graphics and run on the Quadro, which works fine.

I'm not saying that it can't be done but I haven't gotten muxless integrated graphics to work.

Windows 10 i7 and a radeon mobile.with switchable graphics I upgraded from Win7.

I LEAVE AND IT KEEPS BRING ME BACK. I NEED HELP. MUST RESIST.

NO ESCAPE FROM THE FEELS.

While we're on the topic of running XI, how easy is it to 'move' an installation of XI from one machine to another? I don't want to have to go through the agonizing update process every time I reinstall and I'm about to invest in some new hardware as black monday looms.

You have to do the install. It creates a bunch of registry entries. After you do the initial install, overwrite the installation folder with your old install and boot it up and let it file check and you should be fine / have minimal downloads.

Honestly I like doing a fresh one once in a while. Most importantly, back up your macros to the server, and back up your windower settings per plugin.

ZetaEpyon

Usually what I'd do is make a copy of your playonline folder somewhere. Then, run the installer on the new machine. After it's done, copy your POL folder on top of the one on the new machine.

It'll maybe have to do some file checks or whatever, but it should pretty much bypass the rest that way, and you'll still have the proper entries in the Windows registry.

Dammit pan!

Taruranto

Finished.

Storyline felt all over the place, they tried to wave too many threads together and it kinda came out like a mess...
Iroha died like 10 times, it was starting too feel silly
lol.

Dunno what to make of the meeting with Altana, it feels really weird. Kinda wished they left her as an outside observer. I think it may cheap her figure.
But I guess there was no better time than now for that.

Ending was feels.

Aeana

I feel like the last post contains unmarked spoilers.

I need to come back and finish the last two parts of Rhapsodies!

Really enjoying it so far.
It really is such a nostalgia overload.
Also, I'm liking getting lost in places that used to frighten me back in the 75 cap days.
After gearing up a bit and doing some of the missions, I accidentally zoned into sea, and wound up soloing shit for a couple hours because it's mad easy now. Also took the time to rebuild my macros. lol. Can't believe I'm getting this hype on XI all over again.

Taruranto

I feel like the last post contains unmarked spoilers.

I need to come back and finish the last two parts of Rhapsodies!

There was a spoiler from part 2 so I didn't think to spoiler it, sorry. It's ok now, though.

Free login weeks is on now, if you want to come back.

Stuart444

I had checked the game out (again) when the first part of the last update came out a few months back but due to other games, I forgot and unsubbed.

Now since I'm saving money (and thus I'm keeping to one sub aka FFXIV - all I have money for) for my holiday in March/April, I likely won't come back until April :/.

Hopefully the community is still sizable somewhat then. But I do want to see all the story before the game dies properly. (Plus it's another FF to my list of completed FFs and one I never thought I'd do (because it was an MMO) though that was before I played FFXIV lol)

Menchi

So excited to play again. It's been a long time since I last did, and I really want to just go and finally finish all of the story.

Loona

I LEAVE AND IT KEEPS BRING ME BACK. I NEED HELP. MUST RESIST.

Return, do and finish Rhapsodies, get closure, cry, leave again.

I'll probably only be around to do the remaining quests now that I've completed all missions.

Also, trying to resist going back to XIV for the Iroha event - thank Youtube!

Garlador

Return, do and finish Rhapsodies, grt closure, cry, leave again.

I'll probably only be around to do the remaining quests now that Zo've completed all missions.

Also, trying to resist going back to XIV for the Iroha event - thank Youtube!

Iroha event really was a nice love letter to FF11 players.

I'll be frank, the way Iroha was written makes her not a compelling reason to play the Rhapsodies content. There's just no comparison between her and, say, Prishe or Lion or Ayame or Shantotto or etc. etc. etc.

Taruranto

I think the problem with Iroha is that the her story is extremely rushed.

Comparing her to Prishe is a bit uneven given how much time she had to develop. I liked her better than Arciela, though.

Loona

I'll be frank, the way Iroha was written makes her not a compelling reason to play the Rhapsodies content. There's just no comparison between her and, say, Prishe or Lion or Ayame or Shantotto or etc. etc. etc.

Lion is basically a way to deliver exposition earlier on the the nation missions, is a first point of contact to Norg and the Zilart story, and by the end actually gets to do something there.

Prishe sometimes feels like a dev pet not unlike Shantotto, in that she gets away with everything and mostly succeeds at all of it - sure enough, she at least has a more distinct personality than Lion, but that's not hard.

I like Ayame, but she suffers from some of Lion's characterization issues - she at least gets to be a bit more interesting when interacting with family, Naji, or the Norg folk that oversaw her training.

Shantotto basically works as a personification of how FFXI used to be - very very talented, but callously cruel to those who deal with her.

iroha comes off as a bit flat and humble, but her role is basically that of a living/digital legacy of FFXI's players - she works best at a symbolic level, much like in the Rhapsodies story the Emptiness and Cloud of Darkness can represent the eventual end of the game.

I think the problem with Iroha is that the her story is extremely rushed.

Comparing her to Prishe is a bit uneven given how much time she had to develop. I liked her better than Arciela, though.

I feel like Arciela was in an awkward position between lore and player agency, give her too much to do, and you disengage the player's relative heroics from the act. Put her too often in a hostage situation and she's basically a token for the player to rescue over and over. Good thing we had Morimar.

Iroha's just a docile snore.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just beat it. Heart felt ending. RoV was a nice allegory to the existence an MMO lives.
Unless there is constant conflict between light and dark (new content and the players) to create the divine wind (profit), then the Cloud of Darkness will consume the world as if it never existed (The servers being shut down).
It wasn't as strong as the other expansions I felt, yet it hit closer to home emotionally.

No more story content. Does that mean the whole
Arciela searching for her father
plotline is dropped? That's a shame. Guess I work on finishing the Abyssea story next after I do the final Midras quest. Then maybe I'll finally get that Captain mercenary rank for completionist's sake.

I didn't dive deep into the world until after Abyssea came out, but it's still been a wondrous 5 years.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
So I updated FFXI, get into the game sceen but it is stuck at "Connecting to lobby server" it only loads half of the loading bar and then nothing.

someone got a fix for that?

Stalk

Just started up the game, used to play years and years and years a'go but never got very far. Free week seems like a good chance to mess around. Are there many people on in the GMT timezone? Joined Sylph server and would like to join the LS eventually :)

fester

Banned
Downloading the client now. It's been at least 5 years since I last logged in and I'm probably going to be totally clueless as to where I left off and what to do.

Finished Rhapsodies last night.

That final boss and arena was so fitting. Loved every second of that fight (even with it's silly mechanics -- I wiped a lot + congestion at the arena, which was a nice throwback in itself.)

That final cutscene brought me to tears.

On Iroha, I almost feel like she's kind of an extension of the development team (like XIV's Wandering Minstrel), but with an actual purpose and plot. Also (final boss spoilers)
I loved how Cloud of Darkness looked completely unique for FFXI, but still retained some of her more identifiable features from FF3. XI has always been great about throwbacks but done tastefully, and it's something I wish XIV would pick up)

How long are the final cutscenes? I'm running out of drive space to record it all :D

You're looking at about 15-16 minutes from Completing the boss fight -> being able to play again, with 10-minutes of that as the credits/incredible song.

elyetis

Back into the game
1447522715-pol-2015-11-14-18-35-09-19.png
and completely lost I don't know where to even begin.

Might transfere to Sylph if my brother doesn't go back to the game too.

Parshias7

Back into the game

and completely lost I don't know where to even begin.

Might transfere to Sylph if my brother doesn't go back to the game too.

Start up RoE: http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Records_of_Eminence_(Quest).

Then you'll probably want to do the newer limit break quests and get up to level 99. Doing enough RoEs as you level will get you sparks you can spend at the RoE NPCs for gear, including a set of ilvl117 gear to get you started when you hit 99.

Stalk

For Bastok mission 1-3 I've been grinding like crazy for Fetich Legs to drop D: None on the AH. Going spare here ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Legs, arms and head dropped fairly quickly but the Gods seem to have me here haha. Level 21 though in like... five hours? Which seems a 1000x quicker than it used to be for sure from memory, and all I've been doing is the intro tutorial, unlock trusts (which are pretty cool) and missions.

edit: I commented to my girlfriend that the legs wouldn't drop, killed a Quadav and BAM. Obviously my good luck charm.

For Bastok mission 1-3 I've been grinding like crazy for Fetich Legs to drop D: None on the AH. Going spare here ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Legs, arms and head dropped fairly quickly but the Gods seem to have me here haha. Level 21 though in like... five hours? Which seems a 1000x quicker than it used to be for sure from memory, and all I've been doing is the intro tutorial, unlock trusts (which are pretty cool) and missions.

edit: I commented to my girlfriend that the legs wouldn't drop, killed a Quadav and BAM. Obviously my good luck charm.

Whenever you're having that much trouble with a drop, check FFXIAH, and FFXIDB and make sure it actually drops from the mobs you're killing. Sometimes it's only one particular job of monster (even though they may all be quadav) that has the drop and stuff like that.

Stalk

Whenever you're having that much trouble with a drop, check FFXIAH, and FFXIDB and make sure it actually drops from the mobs you're killing. Sometimes it's only one particular job of monster (even though they may all be quadav) that has the drop and stuff like that.

Yup did do that, Palborough Mines was the main spot haha.

Stalk

Oh not just the location but the specific jobs on each monster you kill. If it has a different name it has a different loot pool.

Ah, aye. Fair enough. Had one screen with ffxidb on one screen and xi on the other. Unlocked my sub jobs today after realising that it's much quicker just to do the Rhapsodies questline to get it...

Ah, aye. Fair enough. Had one screen with ffxidb on one screen and xi on the other. Unlocked my sub jobs today after realising that it's much quicker just to do the Rhapsodies questline to get it...

If you're on sylph you can find people in great numbers online lately if you need to holler for help for that kind of thing. There are plenty of people with THF leveled and geared for drop hunting, etc.

Whogie

Started really getting back into this with the Return Home Campaign now that you can make a full Trust party and bring them into BCNMs.

I was having a blast waltzing through the new story missions, until I hit a brick wall on the mission The Brewing Storm. I can't land a hit on any of the enemies in the new zone. (DRG / SMN / BLM iLvl 117)

Is there a path for a solo player to get better-than-Spark gear?

Top Bottom