• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI | OT | Vana'diel Forever

B.K.

FINALLY!

lRPeAm7.jpg

Now that I've got login points that I don't have to spend on shanks anymore, which cursed gear from this month's campaign is good? I don't even know what they're used for.

So why does Windower insist on loading addons after I've 1) switched them off in the options and 2) deleted the .dll from the Windower directory?

Is it just a badly written program? Is there some config file that they're not properly updating when I try to turn off addons I don't use anymore?

Lain

It's sort of amazing how fast leveling is now compared to when I used to play. I stopped playing when I had a lvl 61 or 63 character, and getting exp parties was always a chore. Now, after a relatively short time playing, I have a lvl 31 character with a level 20 sub-job, all done solo thanks to the trust system and getting things done is a lot more enjoyable.

After reading some of the guides about how things changed, I'm not sure I'm clear on certain things. Like, do I need to join parties for the Abyssea stuff to level up, or can it be done solo with trusts? Although first I'd need to actually understand more how the varioues expansion stuff work (I stopped playing the game shortly after Promathia was released, so a loooong time ago).

ZetaEpyon

It's sort of amazing how fast leveling is now compared to when I used to play. I stopped playing when I had a lvl 61 or 63 character, and getting exp parties was always a chore. Now, after a relatively short time playing, I have a lvl 31 character with a level 20 sub-job, all done solo thanks to the trust system and getting things done is a lot more enjoyable.

After reading some of the guides about how things changed, I'm not sure I'm clear on certain things. Like, do I need to join parties for the Abyssea stuff to level up, or can it be done solo with trusts? Although first I'd need to actually understand more how the varioues expansion stuff work (I stopped playing the game shortly after Promathia was released, so a loooong time ago).

I don't think that anyone really does Abyssea for experience anymore, to be honest. Solo leveling with trusts and hammering out RoEs and Grounds of Valor pages pretty much obviates the inconvenience of needing to set up a party and the long leadup time for good rates in Abyssea. It also avoids one major downside of leeching Abyssea exp, in that your combat skills won't fall so far behind.

Parshias7

Abyssea parties don't happen anymore since all of the EXP bonuses from stuff like FoV/GoV and the rhapsodies key items don't work in that zone. If you haven't yet, start up the Rhapsodies missions. I think the first KI is obtainable from a fight that requires about level 50, and that'll give you +30% EXP.

Loona

Check the Records of Eminence quests in the Quests menu - a considerable amount of it covers more endgamish stuff, but a lot of it consists of progression landmarks, like the subjob quest, levelling up jobs and mission progression.

A category you'll want to keep in mind is the Conflict (Region) section, which is handy when you're killing stuff in an area.
You can keep 30 of these active, so it allows for a lot of simultaneous or delayed stuff.

Also, since you've been away since the Promathia days, you might enjoy knowing the zone and mission level caps are pretty much a thing of the past.

ZetaEpyon

New campaigns for December

From Wednesday, December 10, 2015 at 12:00 p.m. (PST) to Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 6:59 a.m. (PST)

Chain Experience Bonus Campaign
  • Earn from double to three times the normal amount of experience from experience chains.
Chain Capacity Point Bonus Campaign
  • Earn from double to three times the normal amount of capacity points from experience chains.
Chain Monstrosity Bonus Campaign
  • Earn from double to three times the normal amount of experience from experience chains.
Delve Campaign Plus
  • Earn double the usual amount of mweya plasm when defeating monsters or clearing a Delve.
  • Monsters will drop airlixirs and airlixirs +1 when defeated.
Surge Walk Campaign
  • Earn triple the usual amount of experience/capacity points when clearing a walk.
  • All walks that appear in Walk of Echoes will be surge walks.
    * Any walks already present when the campaign begins must be cleared before surge walks can appear.
Alter Ego Expo
  • Alter egos' maximum HP and MP will be increased by 50%.
  • Alter egos will gain a high resistance to status ailments.
Incursion Campaign
  • During the campaign, monsters and notorious monsters will only drop grand coffers when defeated.
Vagary Campaign
  • During this campaign, defeated monsters are more likely to drop the Etched Memory and Codex of Etchings items. Additionally, exchanging the following key items at the Odyssean Passage in Leafallia (H-8) will yield an additional reward.
    Fabricated Ward of Biting Winds / Fabricated Ward of Miasma / Fabricated Ward of Impurity / Fabricated Ward of Ashen Wings / Fabricated Ward of the False King
mandies.png

Loona

Grats!!

Also, December update announced: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/49406

Jump emote, (!!) more items listable on AH, Trusts in a new location-to-be-announced, and buffing the new abjuration gear. Should be one heck of an update.

I'm afraid the "more items on AH" thing means variety, instead of letting us use those remaining 3 slots - I hope I'm wrong.
Now that stuff stays on sale there for longer, it's trickier to dispose of drops without just giving up and NPCing them if you're strapped for space, instead of trying to make them useful to somebody else...

Parshias7

I'm afraid the "more items on AH" thing means variety, instead of letting us use those remaining 3 slots - I hope I'm wrong.
Now that stuff stays on sale there for longer, it's trickier to dispose of drops without just giving up and NPCing them if you're strapped for space, instead of trying to make them useful to somebody else...

I believe it is more variety, I think there was a dev post saying it was tough to add more slots. A lot of people are guessing that you'll be able to put the R/E/M stuff up on AH now, like Dynamis currency and Alexandrite.

Joe T.

What's really left for Trusts? I can't think of that many places you can't summon them, like level-capped BCs, Salvage, um...Limbus?

I'm more interested in how they'll get adjusted than where they'll get enabled, but simply adding them to Salvage would make a petty big difference for me, personally. I might actually bother farming the alexandrite for a mythic weapon. They're like infinitely moldable AI that still have the most basic of coding behind them, not that I expect much progress to be made.

I'm more interested in how they'll get adjusted than where they'll get enabled, but simply adding them to Salvage would make a petty big difference for me, personally. I might actually bother farming the alexandrite for a mythic weapon. They're like infinitely moldable AI that still have the most basic of coding behind them, not that I expect much progress to be made.

I would love to learn a 'position' spell or JA so that I can order specific trusts to stand somewhere and not fucking move.

Amchuchu flailed my Fafnir this morning. I got a Sweet Tea drop in compensation but still :(

Oh wow /jump

That brings back memories of insane arguments about whether or not FFXIV should have jumping, and the mad arguments about how silly it all looks.

Well I guess now we have mandragora helmets and worm feelers and butterfly wings on plate armor. Jumping seems so much less silly.

Buffs to 119 Abjuration gear, just what it needed :D
'Adjusted' drop rates in nightmare dynamis reeks of a nerf
Also, you can now dbox pluton/boulders/beitetsu and dynamis currency, which is a godsend.

Parshias7

Looks like my BLU gained 12 accuracy and 1% TA just by sitting around.

New items didn't have anything jump out to me as particularly exciting. Enhancing Magic Duration +10 staff is nice, but probably from some crazy hard NM.

Locke09

Neo Member
Picked up the game towards the end of November when it was on sale - been wanting to give it a shot for a while. It feels like I'm missing something or that I skipped some instruction somewhere - taking longer to kill things/level up my level 20 red mage than I would have thought. Most of my damage seems to be coming from my trusts, not me. Any tips for playing red mage or just generally getting going?

Picked up the game towards the end of November when it was on sale - been wanting to give it a shot for a while. It feels like I'm missing something or that I skipped some instruction somewhere - taking longer to kill things/level up my level 20 red mage than I would have thought. Most of my damage seems to be coming from my trusts, not me. Any tips for playing red mage or just generally getting going?

Are you whiffing a lot? You could be under skilled for what you're fighting. Trusts scale to level not to skill. Red mage isn't a dd in this game, it's more of a support mage / debuffer. Use the check command when solo to see a hint as to whether you need more acc or atk compared to what you're fighting. Are you casting spells or just swinging with a sword?

Also are you on sylph? have someone (myself included) from the OP give you a pearl when we're on.

ZetaEpyon

Do you put pearls on the concierges? I've been looking at them from time to time.

Yes, but they only last for a couple days before expiring for whatever reason. I can stock them up again this afternoon/evening, but you can always send one of us a tell and we'll get someone over to meet you with a pearl.

ApharmdX

Banned
Did they actually expand the number of items you can put on AH at once, or was it just the addition of REM currencies?

This has been a long time coming...

Congrats man! You were done alex long ago, right?

I've got to resume KKK. I'm honestly considering just eating the 8k alex loss and doing Nirvana, though.

ZetaEpyon

Did they actually expand the number of items you can put on AH at once, or was it just the addition of REM currencies?

Congrats man! You were done alex long ago, right?

I've got to resume KKK. I'm honestly considering just eating the 8k alex loss and doing Nirvana, though.

Thanks! And yeah, I had the alexandrite done a good 4-5 months ago.

As for the AH stuff, I'm pretty sure it's just the addition of REM currencies and whatnot.

Joe T.

Just the addition of currencies, unfortunately.

A little bummed out they didn't upgrade REM weapons with this month's update, but still having a good time. The only real annoyance is how SE hasn't laid out plans for server merges yet as some of them have very lopsided populations favoring the Japanese or NA/EU. Even the more populated servers like Asura tend to turn into ghost towns after a certain hour.

Well it took almost an hour on the phone with SE support but I finally managed to get my old Playonline account linked to my SE account!

Couldn't for the life of my figure out my Playonline ID so I actually dug out my old ps2 and plugged it in for the first time in 6 years, and lo and behold it still works! I gotta say the old PS2 boot up theme and the Playonline theme almost brought a tear to my eye.

Bought the complete edition off steam, and am downloading right now. Back for the first time since 2008 to the greatest MMO ever made (and the one that ate WAAYYYY too much of my life back then lol). Think I had over 400 days playtime if memory serves, though a huge portion of that was AFK HNM camping

My old server (Unicorn) is gone now so I guess it put me on Fenrir. Gonna look around here for a bit to see if anyone I used to know still plays, then will probably transfer to Slyph. Can't wait to get it booted up... I'm going to be so lost, it's gonna be great!

ZetaEpyon

Well it took almost an hour on the phone with SE support but I finally managed to get my old Playonline account linked to my SE account!

Couldn't for the life of my figure out my Playonline ID so I actually dug out my old ps2 and plugged it in for the first time in 6 years, and lo and behold it still works! I gotta say the old PS2 boot up theme and the Playonline theme almost brought a tear to my eye.

Bought the complete edition off steam, and am downloading right now. Back for the first time since 2008 to the greatest MMO ever made (and the one that ate WAAYYYY too much of my life back then lol). Think I had over 400 days playtime if memory serves, though a huge portion of that was AFK HNM camping

My old server (Unicorn) is gone now so I guess it put me on Fenrir. Gonna look around here for a bit to see if anyone I used to know still plays, then will probably transfer to Slyph. Can't wait to get it booted up... I'm going to be so lost, it's gonna be great!

Sweet, glad you were able to get it figured out. Navigating the old POL system is always a nightmare.

If you do end up transfering to Sylph, make sure to let us know so we can hook you up with a linkpearl!

Edit: Linkshell concierges should be stocked now in all cities on Sylph. Send a sackholder a tell if you still can't find one for some reason.

And finally the new toy is usable:

creid

Just noticed there aren't any new Trusts in this month's login campaign. I guess they're officially done making new ones?

Joe T.

Just noticed there aren't any new Trusts in this month's login campaign. I guess they're officially done making new ones?

The five Ark Angel trusts are buried in the game somewhere, found while data mining the last major content update, that either aren't available yet or haven't been found.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Setting up FFXI on my new laptop. If I copy over my User folder from my old laptop, will that carry over all of my in game settings? Macros and such?

Somethings up with Windower on my new laptop. It seems to work, but I can't see anything. It just opens up a white box with no UI.I can see the UI in the preview when I hover the mouse over the minimized Windower icon. If I click the lower right corner of the box where the launch button should be, it launches Play Online and everything seems to work.

Edit: Carried over my User folder and got all of my macros. Just a little more settings tweaking and I'm done. All my UI is about 50% smaller than it was.Not sure how to fix it. Maybe the UI resolution in the screen settings.

Edit 2: Found a fix for the Windower issue. Also realized that I had the resolution set to 1920x1080, when I'm using a 1360x768 TV. That'll probably fix my small UI issue.

Loona

Even with the Ark Angels in there are still plenty of characters with combat data they could have used, like Raubhan...

Setting up FFXI on my new laptop. If I copy over my User folder from my old laptop, will that carry over all of my in game settings? Macros and such?

Somethings up with Windower on my new laptop. It seems to work, but I can't see anything. It just opens up a white box with no UI.I can see the UI in the preview when I hover the mouse over the minimized Windower icon. If I click the lower right corner of the box where the launch button should be, it launches Play Online and everything seems to work.

Edit: Carried over my User folder and got all of my macros. Just a little more settings tweaking and I'm done. All my UI is about 50% smaller than it was.Not sure how to fix it. Maybe the UI resolution in the screen settings.

Edit 2: Found a fix for the Windower issue. Also realized that I had the resolution set to 1920x1080, when I'm using a 1360x768 TV. That'll probably fix my small UI issue.

You can save to the server on the character select screen as well, then load them back up on the new device for macros / settings.

- Please make sure you update your Software Token Application before upgrading to iOS9.2
- Please note that application will not become compatible by applying the update alone.
- The application will become compatible with iOS9.2 by launching the application after running the update and then upgrading to iOS9.2

Okay

'you cannot update this software because it requires the latest version of iOS to run'

areyoufuckingkiddingme.jpeg

Toth

Pretty interesting turn of events.

A Word to All of Vana'diel's Adventurers (12/15/2015)

Greetings, adventurers! Matsui here.

I'd like to talk a little about our plans for FINAL FANTASY XI going forward on the development and management side of things.

So that adventurers can always look forward to a fresh and ever-changing Vana'diel, we will be continuing monthly version updates past April. Look out for new updates every month focused on battle and story content.

On the battle side of things, we will be adding new battle varieties each month to keep up the scale and ferocity of the epic battlefields enjoyed thus far viable for a wide range of jobs and play styles. Of course, we also have smaller content planned for solo and Trust-based play.

Fresh story content is also in the works to flesh out the lives of Vana'diel's many inhabitants. New Records of Eminence objectives will offer adventurers glimpses into these characters' side stories.

To ensure that adventuring through Vana'diel stays as fun and frustration-free as possible, we will continue to balance battle content and make adjustments and quality of life improvements wherever we can. We will also be continuing to run login and other campaigns in keeping with the needs and wants of the community.

We are currently busy preparing for monthly updates in the run-up to April, including a version update slated for February, which will introduce new augments for Relic, Mythic, Empyrean, and Ergon weapons.

As our plans for next year begin to solidify, we are growing increasingly excited for 2016 in Vana'diel. The team and I are committed to keep the magic of Vana'diel alive and will be putting in our hearts and souls to ring in another new and exciting year for FINAL FANTASY XI.

We wish you all a happy and safe holiday season and hope to see you all in Vana'diel in 2016!

Akihiko Matsui
Producer, FINAL FANTASY XI

No complaints :) I suppose the mobile app is taken much longer than than thought.

Parshias7

I wonder what "battle varieties" means. New modes?

And the line about "a variety of jobs," I wonder if that just means re-balancing classes, or are they just gonna stick one NM out there with like +300% damage taken from dragoons! Everybody level dragoon!

Loona

I wonder what "battle varieties" means. New modes?

I suspect it's just more NMs, content tiers and currencies.

Either way, I'm mostly glad about the more story content bit, that's what I'm in for.

But I really hope they eventually get round to letting us use all AH slots...

Lain

Going to have to ask a silly question.
What would I need to dual box FFXI on the same PC?
I never had a problem with 2 instances of a game client running at the same time in other MMOs, but I'm having difficulties having 2 instances of FFXI up at the same time.
I'm considering resurrecting my old account to dual with the new one, since I ended up buying the complete for that one too.

Lain

Windower is all you need to dualbox, I think.

Yeah, Windower and two separate accounts.
Works fine for me without any additional messing around.

Oh, nice. Grabbed and installed it.
Now to wait for the reactivation to go through, hopefully without issue, since I didn't remember the level of my old main character. At least Playonline still had the cancellation emails stored, so I could give them the exact date XD

Oh, and I was loving the free survival guide teleports, why did the kupopowers have to end so soon!

Top Bottom