• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI | OT | Vana'diel Forever

You're going to have to find help on that one if you're in sparks gear, the mobs are extremely evasive and do tons of damage. Hit up anyone on Sylph if you're there.

Started really getting back into this with the Return Home Campaign now that you can make a full Trust party and bring them into BCNMs.

I was having a blast waltzing through the new story missions, until I hit a brick wall on the mission The Brewing Storm. I can't land a hit on any of the enemies in the new zone. (DRG iLvl 117)

Is there a path for a solo player to get better-than-Spark gear?

You'll want to look into skirmish and high tier mission battlefields. Drop rates will be low on normal and below, but they are an option. You can also try outside delve nms to have a chance at some upgradeable 119 gear, and unity.

Taruranto

Adulin storyline isn't very soloable even with iLevel 119, several bosses later require a party. You can get around it if you have a friend with August trust + RoV trust bonuses, but they still hard.

You can easily get 119 gears from Alluvion Skirmish, Yorcia Weald, it's a win/win event and it's easy to get people for it.

Reforging relics is also another option, but it's really slow if you wanna solo them. Not too bad if you have friends with seals too waste (basically any high-level player)

Are you just trying to get through the story and don't care about end-game? Then my suggestion is to /yell for help, it shouldn't take much to find someone.

Whogie

Yeah, I'm kinda' expecting to hit a wall with Adoulin too. I did finally get past a battle I was stuck on for a while thanks to the increase in Trust members.

Yes, I mostly only really care about story. I'd like to join you all in Sylph some day, thanks :)

-----------

This is insane
Iv3LKC6.png

Easy Prey (With ring)

Feep

Banned
I played FFXI for four or five years, 2002-2007...really loved it.

I'm not going to jump back in, but I'd love a YouTube link to the final boss + final cutscenes. I jump into these threads every now and then to see what's going on, but I'm mostly lost with all this stuff now.

Stalk

If you're on sylph you can find people in great numbers online lately if you need to holler for help for that kind of thing. There are plenty of people with THF leveled and geared for drop hunting, etc.

Yup, on Sylph and in the LS now. Was probably gonna level THF for the drop stuff next.

Loona

I'm not going to jump back in, but I'd love a YouTube link to the final boss + final cutscenes. I jump into these threads every now and then to see what's going on, but I'm mostly lost with all this stuff now.

This should help - it's part of a playlist that covers the whole thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTl680xHql4&list=PLbu6MhpDEu1bElCn0Yuy-hFHR9houAUeg&index=7

SE has also been releasing a gag manga that follows the Rhapsodies story, taking a more humorous look at it, and poking fun at stuff like the fact Zeid appears in a lot of early missions but never actually fights in them: http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/vanaproj/detail/manga.html?lng=en&rgn=us&manga=iroha_1

Lain

Bought the collection and managed to retrieve my old account (which I'm transferring to my SE account). I'm quite curious to see how the game fares nowadays.

I played FFXI for four or five years, 2002-2007...really loved it.

I streamed the whole final chapter on my twitch. I hope you have 6 hours lol.

B.K.

They announced the December update today.

Announcing the Next Version Update (11/16/2015)

The next version update is scheduled for early December.

Scheduled for the upcoming patch are further festivities in Geas Fete with powerful notorious monsters, and further steps in the aeonic weapon questline, culminating in the completion of the weapons themselves. New emotes and Unity outfits are on the docket as well!

Colors

Neo Member
Started really getting back into this with the Return Home Campaign now that you can make a full Trust party and bring them into BCNMs.

I was having a blast waltzing through the new story missions, until I hit a brick wall on the mission The Brewing Storm. I can't land a hit on any of the enemies in the new zone. (DRG / SMN / BLM iLvl 117)

Is there a path for a solo player to get better-than-Spark gear?

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm on for the Welcome Back campaign, and I've managed to solo up to this mission, but the Narakas just destroy me in my sparks gear (I'm on SMN so I didn't think gear would really be an issue, I only have avatar level 115 though and that doesn't seem to be enough for avatars to hit anything in reisinjima). Since I'm only interested in doing the story and not staying past that, I don't think I'll bother to continue unless there is some stronger gear that's easily obtainable like sparks, but I don't think there is.

Maybe I'll just catch the remaining story on youtube/twitch.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm on for the Welcome Back campaign, and I've managed to solo up to this mission, but the Narakas just destroy me in my sparks gear (I'm on SMN so I didn't think gear would really be an issue, I only have avatar level 115 though and that doesn't seem to be enough for avatars to hit anything in reisinjima). Since I'm only interested in doing the story and not staying past that, I don't think I'll bother to continue unless there is some stronger gear that's easily obtainable like sparks, but I don't think there is.

Maybe I'll just catch the remaining story on youtube/twitch.

Sparks should be enough to solo the first 2 bosses in RoV part 3. You're gonna wanna join a party to kill Narakas and for the last boss, but that's it. The bosses don't have the insane evasion the Reisenjima enemies have. Just shout in Reisenjima for a Naraka party and it shouldn't take long to find one.

Sparks should be enough to solo the first 2 bosses in RoV part 3. You're gonna wanna join a party to kill Narakas and for the last boss, but that's it. The bosses don't have the insane evasion the Reisenjima enemies have. Just shout in Reisenjima for a Naraka party and it shouldn't take long to find one.

Partying up will help immensely. Maybe find a bard and a rdm and make sure you're getting madrigals and that the rdm is casting distract II.

ZetaEpyon

For IHOP events tonight, I am planning on just doing a "help new/returning players with whatever" thing, so if you're on Sylph and stuck with something, now is your chance!

We normally start at about 9:00 pm EST, but I'll probably be on earlier myself.

For the Narakas, I had issues until I actually remembered to probably eat Sushi (I used Sublime Sushi, which I think was new this patch, and it worked wonders)

Everything in Reisenjima has CRAZY evasion.

rybrad

For IHOP events tonight, I am planning on just doing a "help new/returning players with whatever" thing, so if you're on Sylph and stuck with something, now is your chance!

We normally start at about 9:00 pm EST, but I'll probably be on earlier myself.
Can I get into the linkshell? I have just been lone wandering it since I started in May but it would be nice to interact with people occasionally.

ZetaEpyon

Can I get into the linkshell? I have just been lone wandering it since I started in May but it would be nice to interact with people occasionally.

Yes of course!
Just shoot any of us a tell when you're in game (see OP for a list) and we'll get you a pearl.

On this note, ANYONE who has joined Sylph needs to contact someone in IHOP to get a pearl. There's usually several of us on who can hand out pearls at any given time. So if one of us is in the middle of killing something just ask someone else. This isn't a "gaf only" shell or anything so feel free to bring friends with you etc. More the merrier.

ApharmdX

Banned
I'd like to get my son a pearl. Name is "Trustypatches". I'll see if he can shoot one of you a tell tonight when he gets on.

ZetaEpyon

I'd like to get my son a pearl. Name is "Trustypatches". I'll see if he can shoot one of you a tell tonight when he gets on.

I'll keep an eye out for him. I'll also stock up the linkshell concierges in the main cities, in case nobody is online when people need a pearl.

rybrad

For the Narakas on Rhapsodies do you need to kill all 3 in one night without a death? I have killed probably 10 of these now but not without a death or rolling over to the next day. These things are really annoying.

Edit: To answer my own question this does indeed seem to be the case, glad that is over.

Yes of course!
Just shoot any of us a tell when you're in game (see OP for a list) and we'll get you a pearl.
Cool, will do this weekend, thanks!

Parshias7

For some reason I thought the double-triple chain bonus campaign was going for both periods, not just the first. I might not be able to hit 1200 JP on BLU this month after all...

At least this gives me some more free time to do Voidwatch and other quests and stuff I've been putting off. I guess I'll work on getting most of the rest of the quested vorseals that I'm missing. Oh, and spamming Domain Invasions.

Stalk

Whoops wrong thread post

Whilst I'm here.

Level 30 on WAR now and just messing around, will probably keep a sub up after the free period. Been loving going round and exploring, although I'm not 100% sure where to go now. Might try and unlock some of the advanced jobs (is that what they're called?) now.

Loona

Level 30 on WAR now and just messing around, will probably keep a sub up after the free period. Been loving going round and exploring, although I'm not 100% sure where to go now. Might try and unlock some of the advanced jobs (is that what they're called?) now.

You might want to start by going ahead with the nation missions.

As for the unlockable jobs, they're not necessaily considered advanced, although some have pretty specific mechanics, like bue mage and puppetmaster.

Stalk

You might want to start by going ahead with the nation missions.

As for the unlockable jobs, they're not necessaily considered advanced, although some have pretty specific mechanics, like bue mage and puppetmaster.

Wasn't what I meant by advanced. Just thought that was how the game referred to them but I couldn't remember. Doing the nation missions, just finished 2-3 the other day.

ZetaEpyon

Just a reminder that tonight is IHOP events night starting at about 9pm Eastern.

What we end up doing will probably depend on who we've got. If we have a bunch of returning/new players maybe we'll do some catch-up stuff.

Khort

Being lv50 thief, should I be able to do the base story with thrusts? Looking at the official website I am just wondering if I should just wait until lv75?

Being lv50 thief, should I be able to do the base story with thrusts? Looking at the official website I am just wondering if I should just wait until lv75?

At level 50 you should be able to reach Rank 4 in any nation. Anything past that and you'll need help. If you're on sylph give the IHOP folks a holler.

I think you should be able to unlock Tavnazia access at 50 assuming you can summon trusts in Promyvion areas.

With sneak/invis you can get

You can get pretty far in the Aht Urghan missions if you luck out with buying things on the AH. Aht Urghan Mission 13 will be your brick wall until you're much higher level.

Not sure what the requirements are for Wings missions, but there are some pretty high level mobs all over those zones, I'd wait till you're higher level to really try making progress there.

At level 50 you should be able to reach Rank 4 in any nation. Anything past that and you'll need help. If you're on sylph give the IHOP folks a holler.

I think you should be able to unlock Tavnazia access at 50 assuming you can summon trusts in Promyvion areas.

With sneak/invis you can get

You can get pretty far in the Aht Urghan missions if you luck out with buying things on the AH. Aht Urghan Mission 13 will be your brick wall until you're much higher level.

Not sure what the requirements are for Wings missions, but there are some pretty high level mobs all over those zones, I'd wait till you're higher level to really try making progress there.

Wings is like 75-99 content for story, 30-99 content for the systems.

thedan001

I just transferred to Slyph with couple other friends as well

decided to subscribe after playing again from the return to vanadiel campaign, so I will be playing for some time

How can I pick up a IHOP pearl ?

Loona

The next BLU spells in line for me are from cerebrus and khimaira mobs - apparently the last batch of Assault missions involve fighting all ToAU king types and a dvergr, which is a type that also has a spell I'm missing.

Does anyone know if it's viable to learn spells from those?
It would be a good excuse to move on with Assault progress, and spare me the layered farming and NM killing required to fight the Abyssea counterparts...

ZetaEpyon

I just transferred to Slyph with couple other friends as well

decided to subscribe after playing again from the return to vanadiel campaign, so I will be playing for some time

How can I pick up a IHOP pearl ?

I stocked up the linkshell concierges in Windurst, San d'Oria, Bastok, Jeuno, and Adoulin, so hit one of those up if you can't find one of us online. :)

idalarian

I would suggest being lvl 55-60 for the Main Story (up to rank 6 I think). I was lvl 63 Red Mage with Trusts and the final fight went relatively well. But if you intent to finish RIse of the ZIlart and up to Rank 10 in al three nations, lvl 75 is highly advisable. I had a very tough time against all the late boss fights particularly in RotZ. I would suggest getting Apururu Trust like other Gaf Member suggested to me when I played it last summer. Makes a big difference and some fights would just have been uwninabble unless I grinded up to level 75-80.

Also I hope you're doing side quests while leveling, and not just grinding constantly (even though it's pretty easy to level now). A bunch of side quests have very nice stories and are totally worth the fetch quests (though a good other bunch a totally pointless too).

Lain

I've been playing a bit the last couple days after a first impact that left me unimpressed as to how little the game changed over time (the game feels just as stiff today as it felt back in 2003), but I'm having fun.

Through logging on 5 times I managed to score enough points to get a cipher. Since I've always been a Shantotto fan, I grabbed the Cipher: Shantotto II.

SE really needs to update the mobile authenticator app.

Only one token per installation is lame.

The fact that it breaks if you upgrade your device to 9.2 is lame.

I've been playing a bit the last couple days after a first impact that left me unimpressed as to how little the game changed over time (the game feels just as stiff today as it felt back in 2003), but I'm having fun.

Through logging on 5 times I managed to score enough points to get a cipher. Since I've always been a Shantotto fan, I grabbed the Cipher: Shantotto II.

While a large number of changes are under the hood, there are a lot of nice features added to the UI over the years. Some are off by default so look through the in game settings.

Joe T.

Shantotto II is easily a favorite of mine, especially when paired up with Iroha 2. I can let loose with a WS as soon as I get the TP for it and watch those two completely decimate level 125 content with their skill chains + multiple magic bursts.

kindve an odd way to do it imo. I need to get the alst chapter completed, but christmas season has always been slow for my FFXI playtime with all the other games releasing

The Rhapsodies rewards do feel a little bit botched. It makes more sense to get the Balamor trust later in the storyline than when you actually get it, for example.

Top Bottom