• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI | OT | Vana'diel Forever

Skyler

Unconfirmed Member
I need to get allied notes to grab some Trusts they have available for the new year campaign... but I'm confused about how to start doing it.
I've been at a Maw, watched the cutscene, came back, talked to Joachim in Jeuno who sent me to Tahrongi Maw, but that one got me into Abyssea, where I started killing some tough stuff for pitiful exp until a NM appeared from nowhere to kick my ass at 3k a pop (a look at the wikia told me the NM is a non aggro invisible NM that will aggro yellow HP).
There are two types of Maw - Crystal War and Abyssea. Joachim only deals with Abyssea questline. For allied notes you need to do first 2-3 missions of The Wings of the Goddess (Crystal War) starting here.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Absolute Virtue is soloable?

That...hmm, that sentence kills the 2000-2010 decade to me, just now. It's all ruined. It's all rubbish.

ZetaEpyon

Talym where did you get the gauner trust?

Hah! I forgot that I actually posted a screenshot of it - must be quite some time ago now...

Talym, what'd you do, a big self-SC to just zerg him down quickly? I see the fight time was pretty short.

Yeah, something like that, as I recall. It was super anti-climactic, and that screenshot is pretty old now, so I'm sure it'd be even faster now.

Man, that sounds like a ton of work, and I'm not even sure I can complete FF VII within the month. I just want the main storyline. Hmm, I'll try my best. Are there still people in here helping out?

I don't think it's so much work; it's just something you shouldn't expect to be able to knock out in a weekend or something. There are still a bunch of us in here around to help out when needed. It's been a little quieter lately, I think, with the holidays and people on vacation (myself included), but I'd expect it to pick up a bit now.

If you do jump in, join us on Sylph and let us know your character name so that we can get you a pearl for IHOP.

Man, that sounds like a ton of work, and I'm not even sure I can complete FF VII within the month. I just want the main storyline. Hmm, I'll try my best. Are there still people in here helping out?

Roll Sylph if you want GAF help.

I suggest getting at least vanilla+zilart+cop done to get the best storylines FFXI has to offer. You don't need full completion of the other expansions to finish Rhapsodies (which is also super duper good). That should all be doable within a month with LS help.

Roll Sylph if you want GAF help.

I suggest getting at least vanilla+zilart+cop done to get the best storylines FFXI has to offer. You don't need full completion of the other expansions to finish Rhapsodies (which is also super duper good). That should all be doable within a month with LS help.
I rank SoA ahead of zilart for storyline quality, CoP is the best by far still

ApharmdX

Banned
I need to get allied notes to grab some Trusts they have available for the new year campaign... but I'm confused about how to start doing it.
I've been at a Maw, watched the cutscene, came back, talked to Joachim in Jeuno who sent me to Tahrongi Maw, but that one got me into Abyssea, where I started killing some tough stuff for pitiful exp until a NM appeared from nowhere to kick my ass at 3k a pop (a look at the wikia told me the NM is a non aggro invisible NM that will aggro yellow HP).

You have to go through one of the "dead" cavernous maws. Not the floating ones. More here:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Cavernous_Maws_(Mission)

You could also trade Copper Vouchers for Allied Notes.

Toth

Absolute Virtue is soloable?

That...hmm, that sentence kills the 2000-2010 decade to me, just now. It's all ruined. It's all rubbish.

Don't worry. There are new higher level versions of all the Sea mobs in Escha Ru'Aun, including a new Absolute Virtue, the Warder of Courage who is just as nasty as AV but actually beatable (well, a few groups have downed it). The vast majority of NMs now have higher versions in the Wanted System and some are quite difficult for even the best geared. They all drop high level equivalent of their old counterpart's drops as well.

Don't worry. There are new higher level versions of all the Sea mobs in Escha Ru'Aun, including a new Absolute Virtue, the Warder of Courage who is just as nasty as AV but actually beatable (well, a few groups have downed it). The vast majority of NMs now have higher versions in the Wanted System and some are quite difficult for even the best geared. They all drop high level equivalent of their old counterpart's drops as well.

Unity pandemonium warden is the new crazyness. I dont even know how to think about handling that.

So I was messing around with my 360 last night and now I've found myself downloading FFXI's updates. I've always been interested in MMOs because I never got to play them as a kid (we had 28k until 2007). I've played a few months of XIV recently but never got the chance to play XI. I've followed the game so much and read a lot about how the game used to be...but I understand the game's very different now. Anyways, I'm excited to try it out. Turns out my old PS2 HDD bundle never had the codes used, so I've got a 30 day trial...but it's only for the base game.

I'm only planning to play casually during the trial and experience the game a little bit. Will the base game be enough to keep me occupied or would is the game best experienced with the expansions? Like I said, I've always wanted to try the game so I wouldn't mind spending a little money. Still, I'm totally fine with cheaping out if it won't affect me too much.

So I was messing around with my 360 last night and now I've found myself downloading FFXI's updates. I've always been interested in MMOs because I never got to play them as a kid (we had 28k until 2007). I've played a few months of XIV recently but never got the chance to play XI. I've followed the game so much and read a lot about how the game used to be...but I understand the game's very different now. Anyways, I'm excited to try it out. Turns out my old PS2 HDD bundle never had the codes used, so I've got a 30 day trial...but it's only for the base game.

I'm only planning to play casually during the trial and experience the game a little bit. Will the base game be enough to keep me occupied or would is the game best experienced with the expansions? Like I said, I've always wanted to try the game so I wouldn't mind spending a little money. Still, I'm totally fine with cheaping out if it won't affect me too much.

While the base game will give you plenty to do, the expansions will give you access to content you may want to get to sooner than later.

The console version is also ending in a few months, so if you think you might want to give it a real shot, play on pc.

You should be able to register that ps2 code to your account, then download and log in with the pc version to play if you download it from the offical web site.

If you want to buy the whole deal, this has everything:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWEMODK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Make sure you start on Sylph server.

Lain

There are two types of Maw - Crystal War and Abyssea. Joachim only deals with Abyssea questline. For allied notes you need to do first 2-3 missions of The Wings of the Goddess (Crystal War) starting here.

Nice, thanks.

You have to go through one of the "dead" cavernous maws. Not the floating ones. More here:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Cavernous_Maws_(Mission)

You could also trade Copper Vouchers for Allied Notes.

Ohhhh, good to know. I've been saving them up until now and have 53 of those.

Pachimari

What is Zilart and Cop? Are those expansions?

I'm installing it now on my PC, but I'm probably gonna complete FF VII first.

What is Zilart and Cop? Are those expansions?

I'm installing it now on my PC, but I'm probably gonna complete FF VII first.

FFXI has had 5 expansions sold at retail: Rise of the Zilart (bundled with the North American release), Chains of Promathia, Treasures of Aht Urghan, Wings of the Goddess and Seekers of Adoulin.

While the base game will give you plenty to do, the expansions will give you access to content you may want to get to sooner than later.

The console version is also ending in a few months, so if you think you might want to give it a real shot, play on pc.

You should be able to register that ps2 code to your account, then download and log in with the pc version to play if you download it from the offical web site.

If you want to buy the whole deal, this has everything:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWEMODK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Make sure you start on Sylph server.

Thanks for the advice. Honestly, part of the allure for me is playing on a console (I'd be playing it on PS2 ideally but the 360 is more convenient) so I'll try to stick it out on there. I could switch to PC later on, right?

Thanks for reminding me about Sylph! Installation is almost done. :)

Thanks for the advice. Honestly, part of the allure for me is playing on a console (I'd be playing it on PS2 ideally but the 360 is more convenient) so I'll try to stick it out on there. I could switch to PC later on, right?

Thanks for reminding me about Sylph! Installation is almost done. :)

You could switch later yes, but you could also just use a controller on the pc version and have an overall better experience. I think once you see how it performs on the console the novelty will wear off fast. Especially ps2. Honestly the thing barely holds together on anything but pc.

Lain

Took part in my first campaign battle (just because I happened to be at the Fort doing the Tigress quest while one started) so got some Allied Notes. It was pretty damn boring though, with a Yagudo or two coming in from time to time. Spent 1 hour or so at the Fort and received 5k exp and 3k Allied Notes. I'm guessing more involved battles would reward more notes and exp.

Pachimari

Can someone help me. I can't seem to connect to PlayOnline? It says my PlayOnline ID or password is incorrect. It asks for my Square Enix password though. I'm really sure I'm typing in the correct password.

FFXI has had 5 expansions sold at retail: Rise of the Zilart (bundled with the North American release), Chains of Promathia, Treasures of Aht Urghan, Wings of the Goddess and Seekers of Adoulin.

I have the Ultimate Collection on Steam. So I guess I got them all already.

Nosgotham

Can someone help me. I can't seem to connect to PlayOnline? It says my PlayOnline ID or password is incorrect. It asks for my Square Enix password though.

I have the Ultimate Collection on Steam. So I guess I got them all already.

you gotta link your playonline with square enix id i think. on their website,

Took part in my first campaign battle (just because I happened to be at the Fort doing the Tigress quest while one started) so got some Allied Notes. It was pretty damn boring though, with a Yagudo or two coming in from time to time. Spent 1 hour or so at the Fort and received 5k exp and 3k Allied Notes. I'm guessing more involved battles would reward more notes and exp.

I wouldn't call the system exciting or anything, but you'll see bigger battles in areas like meriphtaud mountains and the northlands.

Pachimari

You can use crysta to buy, then it won't auto renew.

Oh, I used my Master Card. I were surprised to see, that I get a month free trial. Anyway, it's updating the game now, and is downloading a whopping 12604 files! It will take 8 hours it says, which is weirdly long. Maybe the estimate is wrong, but then again, I disconnected my ethernet last week and is on WiFi currently.

ZetaEpyon

It *probably* won't actually take that long, since there's no current update and the servers should not be swamped, but FFXI's update process is notoriously horrible.

It'll take a while.

Ranmo

Thinking about returning to the game. Was curious about the NPC partners. So If I rerolled on the server Gaf is on. With the npc party member functionality, can I essentially just approach content like a single player game? Or would I have to grind in between objectives?

It's not necessarily a breaker for me, but the only real reason I stopped playing this so many years ago was because falling behind my main group due to time constraints, and playing solo catch up just felt like a grind.

The potential added accessibility from this NPC party thing seems very interesting to me though.

Pachimari

So when it has finished updating, I will be joining the Sylph world. Anything I should know as a completely new player right from the get-go, or is the game good at explaining stuff to me as I go?

I have played and love FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, so I'm not completely barebones at MMO's but of course it's not totally comparable to this game.

So when it has finished updating, I will be joining the Sylph world. Anything I should know as a completely new player right from the get-go, or is the game good at explaining stuff to me as I go?

I have played and love FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, so I'm not completely barebones at MMO's but of course it's not totally comparable to this game.
ffxi is from an age where MMOs were experimenting, so playing anything post WoW doesnt really tell you what to expect.

Its a slower game that really tries to get you into the world. Or at least it was, these days you level up ultra fast solo, which is good because the playerbase isnt large enough to support the games old ways.

How much can be solo'd though?
all of leveling up to level 99, and merits and job points after that point. I party up for job points to make it mroe fun though. All of the storylines except the last chapters of seekers of adoulin and rhapsodies of vanadiel. And then most of the current endgame cant be solod, though there are things that can be.

Thinking about returning to the game. Was curious about the NPC partners. So If I rerolled on the server Gaf is on. With the npc party member functionality, can I essentially just approach content like a single player game? Or would I have to grind in between objectives?

It's not necessarily a breaker for me, but the only real reason I stopped playing this so many years ago was because falling behind my main group due to time constraints, and playing solo catch up just felt like a grind.

The potential added accessibility from this NPC party thing seems very interesting to me though.

You can use NPCs to do almost anything. In endgame they are great for filling extra party slots etc.when short on people.

Depending on your definition of grind, you'll still need to do it but you won't require shouting for an hour to get people since you can instantly summon them. The 1-99 trip has been significantly streamlined regardless.

The LS is busiest in the evenings in EST, but there's also plenty of people who are around off and on round the clock.

Make sure you poke someone for a pearl asap when you get on.

Actually pay attention to what the npcs say like you would in a standard single player rpg. There's no big green arrows telling you who to talk to. Every npc in the game has a purpose, and will have either a direct function, or be involved in some questline at some point.

There's a tutorial npc in the starter town, follow the suggestions in your chat log about them, and also look into the records of eminence section of your quest log.

Pachimari

Almost all of the old content is soloable if you've collected adequate Trust NPCs to help you.

There is almost always someone online willing to help if you play North American hours on Sylph and join the LS.

I'm based in Europe, but there might be nights I'll stay up for Final Fantasy XI (and Rainbow Six: Siege). The LS is like a GAF club right? What is the name?

Actually pay attention to what the npcs say like you would in a standard single player rpg. There's no big green arrows telling you who to talk to. Every npc in the game has a purpose, and will have either a direct function, or be involved in some questline at some point.

There's a tutorial npc in the starter town, follow the suggestions in your chat log about them, and also look into the records of eminence section of your quest log.
I'll keep this in mind.

[edit]
This game is crashing on my computer. I'm on Windows 10, should I start it up in Windows 7 compatibility mode?

It's actually making my whole computer crash, so I gotta restart it. It asks for "Direct Play" to be installed.

I'm based in Europe, but there might be nights I'll stay up for Final Fantasy XI (and Rainbow Six: Siege). The LS is like a GAF club right? What is the name?

I'll keep this in mind.

[edit]
This game is crashing on my computer. I'm on Windows 10, should I start it up in Windows 7 compatibility mode?

It's actually making my whole computer crash, so I gotta restart it. It asks for "Direct Play" to be installed.

LS name is IHOP. Run as administrator and click start > go to the search bar and type "UAC" then bring the slider down to the 3rd from the top (disables screen dimming)

Also when you're all set up go to www.windower.net and get that for interface mods and a more stable windowed mode.

Pachimari

I just gotta get the game to work first. Googling intensifies.

[edit]
Okay, I got it to work. Man, what a hassle to get this game going.

Also when you're all set up go to www.windower.net and get that for interface mods and a more stable windowed mode.
I'll look into this now. The resolution is really low in the start screen menu.

Can you recommend some addons/plugins for Windower? Is it even allowed to use?

I just gotta get the game to work first. Googling intensifies.

[edit]
Okay, I got it to work. Man, what a hassle to get this game going.

I'll look into this now. The resolution is really low in the start screen menu.

Officially no, don't go running around town saying you're using it, but literally no one has ever been banned for using it. I don't know anyone who doesn't use it. Fight club, etc.

Timers and timestamp are good to start. Play around with whatever.

Pachimari

Oh okay. I'll try it.

But right now, the game looks horrible. Not in a (it's 10 year old game kind of way) but the title screen seems to be in a very low resolution even though I have set it to 1080 in the PlayOnline settings. And the text has a ghosting effect so I'm kind of seeing double.

Makes me eyes go crazy.
Anyone know how to fix this?

FindAll: lets you find your stuff without having to open your bags
ffxidb: puts a movable, zoomable minimap on your screen of your current location, complete with NPC/monster radar.

Install more addons/plugins as you see fit, no reason to install more than you're really using but the above two are valuable at all levels.

Don't forget to turn on some of the enhancements the FFXI developers have added to the game but turn off by default, like remaining time on buffs/debuffs and AOE overlays. They're buried in the helpfully named 'Misc/Misc 2/Misc 3' config menus.

Whogie

Oh okay. I'll try it.

But right now, the game looks horrible. Not in a (it's 10 year old game kind of way) but the title screen seems to be in a very low resolution even though I have set it to 1080 in the PlayOnline settings. And the text has a ghosting effect so I'm kind of seeing double.

Makes me eyes go crazy.
Anyone know how to fix this?

Make sure Background Redolution is at least as high as your normal res.
But Windower will take care of a lot of graphics settings for you.

Pachimari

Make sure Background Redolution is at least as high as your normal res.
It already is but the menu is pixelated anyway.

And ever since I started using Windower, there have been a ghosting effect on all the text.

I'm gonna try and create a character and play the game tomorrow, to see if there's any graphical settings in-game.

It already is but the menu is pixelated anyway.

And ever since I started using Windower, there have been a ghosting effect on all the text.

I'm gonna try and create a character and play the game tomorrow, to see if there's any graphical settings in-game.

Sounds like maybe you changed one of the UI scale settings?

Pachimari

Sounds like maybe you changed one of the UI scale settings?

I'm not sure but I wouldn't think so. Though, now that I am in the character creator, it does looked stretched out. I set it to widescreen though:

l9pLb0r.jpg

Looks weird?

I'm not sure but I wouldn't think so. Though, now that I am in the character creator, it does looked stretched out. I set it to widescreen though:

l9pLb0r.jpg

Looks weird?

There's another setting in the Config menu for FFXI that sets the display ratio.

x26y6Fc.png

You want to set that to whatever ratio fits your monitor's dimensions best. Otherwise you get stretching like in your screenshot.

Looks weird?
not sure if you can set it in the title and character creator, but once you are in game there is an aspect ratio slider. You just get to choose like 16:9, 16:10, or 4:3

Pachimari

There's another setting in the Config menu for FFXI that sets the display ratio.

x26y6Fc.png

You want to set that to whatever ratio fits your monitor's dimensions best. Otherwise you get stretching like in your screenshot.

not sure if you can set it in the title and character creator, but once you are in game there is an aspect ratio slider. You just get to choose like 16:9, 16:10, or 4:3

Yes, that's the one I changed to 16:9 already, as that should fit my 1080x1920 monitor. I'll try play around with it again.

ZetaEpyon

There is a separate aspect ratio setting on the config screen. Unless it's really bothering you during character creation/selection, you can totally ignore it, since it has no impact once you're in game.

Additionally, if you use the Config plugin in Windower, all of this should be taken care of dynamically for you.

Pachimari

Yeah, I'll ignore it in the character creator. Looking forward to see how it actually looks while in-game.

By the way, can someone tell me, where the game's .exe is located?

Lain

Character creator always looks fucked up aspect ratio wise (at least the "advanced" one). I postulate that it's because it goes with the in-game aspect ratio, which always resets to 4:3 if you create a new character instead of picking up on your already set stuff (or the one you set at the login screen).

If you're asking about the game's exe because you would prefer to skip the pol slow as heck stuff... do I have bad news for you.

Top Bottom