• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI | OT | Vana'diel Forever

Pachimari

If you're asking about the game's exe because you would prefer to skip the pol slow as heck stuff... do I have bad news for you.

No, that's not why.

I want Gameplay Time Tracker to track my game time in Final Fantasy XI but it needs the .exe of the game itself, and not the launcher. I just wonder where that .exe is located?

[edit]
Okay, so I created a basic Hume warrior named Zhorro in the Republic of Bastok on the server Sylph.

[edit 2]
Which button is the menu button?
- doesn't work for me.

[edit 3]
This is very confusing. My character ran automatically but now he just walks. I don't know how to open the menu after trying all keys on my keyboard, and how do I change the mouse behavior? I want it to be inverted, and faster.

No, that's not why.

I want Gameplay Time Tracker to track my game time in Final Fantasy XI but it needs the .exe of the game itself, and not the launcher. I just wonder where that .exe is located?

[edit]
Okay, so I created a basic Hume warrior named Zhorro in the Republic of Bastok on the server Sylph.

[edit 2]
Which button is the menu button?
- doesn't work for me.

[edit 3]
This is very confusing. My character ran automatically but now he just walks. I don't know how to open the menu after trying all keys on my keyboard, and how do I change the mouse behavior? I want it to be inverted, and faster.
by default, Z or ctrl+z toggles run/walk. - on the numpad is menu. I recommend changing the keyboard control type to compact, that will make WASD movement

Lain

I don't have a numpad though. =/

If you have a gamepad, I suggest using that to play the game, as I found gamepad+keyboard to work really well. - on the numpad works to open the menu but if you don't have the numpad I am not sure which button or combination of buttons would open them.
See if this list helps any?

Once you manage to open the menu, you can change the mouse behavior in the config, under camera control (I think).

Pachimari

Couldn't find anything in that list. But I do have a Xbox Elite controller, so I guess I can press Start on that one to open the menu.

ZetaEpyon

Couldn't find anything in that list. But I do have a Xbox Elite controller, so I guess I can press Start on that one to open the menu.

Honestly, unless you're *really* tied to using keyboard for some reason, I'd suggest using controller. It is a PS2 game at heart, after all, not a kb+mouse game.

I first played on a laptop so I've never used anything but my keyboard to control the game. Occasionally I'll use a mouse to rotate the camera around.
I've never used a controller for FFXI. I could try it but I'm so used to the keyboard controls, which I admit are wonky, that I don't know that it would be more comfortable for me.

Pachimari

Seems like I'll go with controller. And it's no problem to me. My next question were gonna be, if controller or keyboard were preferred anyway. I'll try the Elite controller with it next.

ZetaEpyon

Yeah, definitely try them out and go with whatever works best for you.

I played for the first 3 or 4 years exclusively on keyboard, and switched to controller after that. I use a DualShock 4 with it now.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Seems like I'll go with controller. And it's no problem to me. My next question were gonna be, if controller or keyboard were preferred anyway. I'll try the Elite controller with it next.

Maybe the Elite will be different, but I know with the 360 controller that FFXI would not recognize the triggers as buttons, limiting you to just the two regular shoulder buttons.

Pachimari

I just started up Final Fantasy XI, and it doesn't recognize my Elite controller. It is turned on and everything. Do I have to do something? If I have to go to settings I can't, as i can't access the menu from my keyboard.

I don't even know how to quit the game. I have to close it at the Windows task bar every time.

you have to switch to compact mode for your keyboard no matter what.
How do I switch to compact mode? There's nothing like it in the settings I'm looking at.

I just started up Final Fantasy XI, and it doesn't recognize my Elite controller. It is turned on and everything. Do I have to do something? If I have to go to settings I can't, as i can't access the menu from my keyboard.

I don't even know how to quit the game. I have to close it at the Windows task bar every time.

How do I switch to compact mode? There's nothing like it in the settings I'm looking at.

It's under one of the 'Misc' Config Menus. I don't remember which off the top of my head. When in doubt, always check the 'Misc' Config Menus.

I think the command to quit is /shutdown. I forget if it's an option from the 'Log Out' menu command.
Otherwise you have to log out of your character, then choose 'quit' from the game menu, then log out of the Play Online client, then shut down the Play Online client. PS2 Limitations :(

The Windower people have provided a '/terminate' console command (hit your Insert key) that intentionally crashes out the game if you really gotta kill it.

Lain

You might have to turn on xinput under the external configuration utility (PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\ToolsEU\FINAL FANTASY XI Config.exe). There you can also set the behavior of the various buttons.

Jijidasu

Wow, the leveling speed has really been turned up since rhapsodies. Still not a lot of time to login on Chassan and finish all the stories so I grabbed the FFXI memorial book and read through it instead, heh.

I had always wanted a novel based on the narrative of FFXI, while not perfect this is certainly a nice thing to have around. Features high quality prints of the finale artwork, too.

ehfYbiOh.jpg

YKbdQ6Qh.jpg

Pachimari

Thanks, I'm gonna look into it tomorrow.

The intro was really well done and made me very interested in the story which is good, because the story is the primary reason I'll be playing Final Fantasy XI and I want to complete it. I can't wait to learn more about Aldo and Vana'diel.

Loona

Wow, the leveling speed has really been turned up since rhapsodies. Still not a lot of time to login on Chassan and finish all the stories so I grabbed the FFXI memorial book and read through it instead, heh.

I had always wanted a novel based on the narrative of FFXI, while not perfect this is certainly a nice thing to have around. Features high quality prints of the finale artwork, too.

There was a series of official novels that were even translated to French at one point (not sure about English though).

Still, they're pretty old by now and I'd be quite surprised if they matched the way the lore devrloped in the past decade...

Jathaine

So, I just rejoined the game recently and my goal is to get as far as possible without directly interacting with anyone (to see how viable this is).
I feel like I've hit a wall now that I've gotten the ilvl117 sparks gear but this is mostly due to lack of knowledge of all the new stuff.

I haven't played the game in years (since before Seekers) so I'm not sure how I should advance my character.
Anywho, I have BST, WHM and NIN at 99 and obviously could potentially level any job easily at this point.
I've been focusing on BST and got a couple of the Ankusa pieces which I'm looking to +1 but I haven't exactly figured out how to get some of the items to do this. (Rockfin Tooth for the Ankusa Jackcoat +1 being an example)

What would be seen as the best path when going from sparks gear to something better while solo?

Parshias7

So, I just rejoined the game recently and my goal is to get as far as possible without directly interacting with anyone (to see how viable this is).
I feel like I've hit a wall now that I've gotten the ilvl117 sparks gear but this is mostly due to lack of knowledge of all the new stuff.

I haven't played the game in years (since before Seekers) so I'm not sure how I should advance my character.
Anywho, I have BST, WHM and NIN at 99 and obviously could potentially level any job easily at this point.
I've been focusing on BST and got a couple of the Ankusa pieces which I'm looking to +1 but I haven't exactly figured out how to get some of the items to do this. (Rockfin Tooth for the Ankusa Jackcoat +1 being an example)

What would be seen as the best path when going from sparks gear to something better while solo?

Rockfin Tooth is from Delve. Don't think you can solo it even on BST, but you can just buy it off the AH.

You can solo Yorcia Alluvion Skirmish by buying Obsidian Fragments with Copper Vouchers and spending those Fragments to summon a Shijin (pick sash as your Eudaemon item for Kirin) who can solo the first floor for you. This'll get you 119 gear, and occasionally some Melliodopt Wings you can trade for a 119 weapon. These armors and weapon can be augmented by spending the stones that drop in Alluvion Skirmish. Once you're 119, you'll want to try soloing NMs in Escha Zi'Tah with Trusts. There are also a bunch of good BST stuff from older content you can solo easily, like various equipment that will lower your Ready timer. BST is one of the best solo jobs in the game, so you'll probably want to focus on that job first.

Jathaine

Huh... interesting. I didn't realize I could buy the item I needed on AH.
Thanks for all the info.

I'll also admit I had just gotten into looking up info on the Alluvion Skirmish stuff but I'll admit I'm still a bit confused about summoning one of the gods to help you. Is there some sort of item you'd need for this or is it just one of the mechanics for the skirmish areas that I'll pretty much immediately understand upon actually just doing the event?

Parshias7

I'll also admit I had just gotten into looking up info on the Alluvion Skirmish stuff but I'll admit I'm still a bit confused about summoning one of the gods to help you. Is there some sort of item you'd need for this or is it just one of the mechanics for the skirmish areas that I'll pretty much immediately understand upon actually just doing the event?

The way Yorcia Alluvion Skirmish works is that its kind of like Tower Defense. Normally, you'd go in with a group and everyone would go around killing the normal mobs to gain points that one of the party members would spend to summon monsters to fight against the enemy waves and destroy the Stronghold to go up to the next floor. Its possible to do things this way solo, but it involves a lot of running back and forth to kill mobs and then summon things, so I wouldn't recommend it for a first attempt solo.

You can exchange Obsidian Fragments (normally gotten from killing the Stronghold monsters with your summoned stuff, but you can exchange 1 Copper Voucher for 1000 fragments) for the points you use to summon monsters, so you can cash in 1000 fragments right away to summon a Shijin, of which Kirin is the best one since he summons the other four like his NM version does, so he can easily solo the first floor without any help.

January Campaigns: http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/14468/detail.html

No Bayld Bus, but the endless CP Death March to the sea is back again. Hopefully I can cap BLU and GEO and then never think about JP ever again.

Also the Voidwatch campaign is coming back, which is great to see it back so soon as I still have a little bit of VW to finish up, and a handful of items to farm.

I'm actually pretty chuffed about the VW campaign returning, I'd really like to progress through that and unlock all the abyssite so I can pop anything I want. Stopped at Pil the last time.

Mcdohl

Any update on Trusts available for fights for the 3 add-ons? (A Crystalline Prophecy, Moogle, Shanttoto Ascension)

Taruranto

Any update on Trusts available for fights for the 3 add-ons? (A Crystalline Prophecy, Moogle, Shanttoto Ascension)
They won't add them, I already asked on the OF some months ago.

But at least anyone can help you, even if they don't have access to the fights or the exp. Just be sure it's YOU who starts the BCNM.

Jathaine

The way Yorcia Alluvion Skirmish works is that its kind of like Tower Defense. Normally, you'd go in with a group and everyone would go around killing the normal mobs to gain points that one of the party members would spend to summon monsters to fight against the enemy waves and destroy the Stronghold to go up to the next floor. Its possible to do things this way solo, but it involves a lot of running back and forth to kill mobs and then summon things, so I wouldn't recommend it for a first attempt solo.

You can exchange Obsidian Fragments (normally gotten from killing the Stronghold monsters with your summoned stuff, but you can exchange 1 Copper Voucher for 1000 fragments) for the points you use to summon monsters, so you can cash in 1000 fragments right away to summon a Shijin, of which Kirin is the best one since he summons the other four like his NM version does, so he can easily solo the first floor without any help.

Awesome. Thanks for all the info. I'll see about running one after work. I did the normal Skirmish yesterday and got a few of those fragments (at least I think that's what they were called).
Do they carry over between areas? I think the one I did was in Cirdas(sp?) Caverns.

Parshias7

Awesome. Thanks for all the info. I'll see about running one after work. I did the normal Skirmish yesterday and got a few of those fragments (at least I think that's what they were called).
Do they carry over between areas? I think the one I did was in Cirdas(sp?) Caverns.

The fragments do transfer between areas, so you'll eventually build up a little store of them.

What are those 3000 point items for? Just Hexed gear? Seems overpriced for what they are.

Hexed gear primarily. They ONLY drop from Voidwalker NMs, which are a pain to pop, exist simultaneously in 4 zones past and present, and only have a chance to give any drops period if they spawn with a shadow (1/4 chance to get the shadow, low drop rate on actual drops)

If any newly joined folks have not gotten pearls yet please post your character name so we can find you.

Also for the new / newer folks please add yourself to the spreadsheet in the OP so we know who's who!

Lain

I started leveling up Dancer to sub for my Thief in the future and I'm finding the Dancer job fun, but I'm a bit unsure about the whole TP thing and what it means in regards to Weapon Skills. Since they do their abilities through expending TPs, does this mean that they don't spend it on Weapon Skills? Or is it more like, after buffs/debuffs, dump TPs on Weapon Skills until TPs for buffs/debuffs are needed again?

I started leveling up Dancer to sub for my Thief in the future and I'm finding the Dancer job fun, but I'm a bit unsure about the whole TP thing and what it means in regards to Weapon Skills. Since they do their abilities through expending TPs, does this mean that they don't spend it on Weapon Skills? Or is it more like, after buffs/debuffs, dump TPs on Weapon Skills until TPs for buffs/debuffs are needed again?
the vast majority of your TP is still spent on WSs unless you are curing way more than a DNC should have to. Most of the time on DNC you pop haste samba every time it needs reupped, and presto > box step > box step for 5 finishing moves. thats only 550 TP cost for that. Then you self skillchain for awesome fun, merits and gearswaps for TP from reverse flourish required, and no foot rise fully merited for 5 finishing moves

with 5 finishing moves already stocked and 1000TP
Climactic Flourish > No Foot Rise > Rudra's Storm > reverse flourish > rudra's storm

making sure the timing is right so both rudra's storms are affecting by climactic flourish, no letting auto attacks eat climactic stocks

Lain

the vast majority of your TP is still spent on WSs unless you are curing way more than a DNC should have to. Most of the time on DNC you pop haste samba every time it needs reupped, and presto > box step > box step for 5 finishing moves. thats only 550 TP cost for that. Then you self skillchain for awesome fun, merits and gearswaps for TP from reverse flourish required, and no foot rise fully merited for 5 finishing moves

with 5 finishing moves already stocked and 1000TP
Climactic Flourish > No Foot Rise > Rudra's Storm > reverse flourish > rudra's storm

making sure the timing is right so both rudra's storms are affecting by climactic flourish, no letting auto attacks eat climactic stocks

That sounds interesting. I'm also understanding that gearswap is still pretty important. I'll have to start looking at specific things I'll need to get for that too when the time comes.

That sounds interesting. I'm also understanding that gearswap is still pretty important. I'll have to start looking at specific things I'll need to get for that too when the time comes.
gearswapping is mandatory, though I dont use the gearswap plugin, just simple scripts in windower that executes all equip slots at once.

As for DNC I have:
TP Set
Damage Taken Set (used to be evasion set)
WS Set
waltz potency set
and simple swaps for things like gear that enhances reverse flourish effect.

Lain

Is there a list for which are the must have items to get for gear swapping?

Now, for another question about something else (Trust NPCs), is there somewhere a ranking of Unity Leaders usefulness? I've been using Ayame and I like her, but was curious if the other ones brought something special to the table. The notes on the wikia page are nice but not as in-depth as I'd like.
I'm also asking this because I have another question about Trust NPCs... is there a healer that won't waste all his or her MPs on dispelling every little thing? Someone that's a bit more like... the healer version of Shantotto II, more or less. I only have access to Kupipi and Mihli and both seem to burn through their MP pools at a really fast rate.

Now, for another question about something else (Trust NPCs), is there somewhere a ranking of Unity Leaders usefulness? I've been using Ayame and I like her, but was curious if the other ones brought something special to the table. The notes on the wikia page are nice but not as in-depth as I'd like.
I'm also asking this because I have another question about Trust NPCs... is there a healer that won't waste all his or her MPs on dispelling every little thing? Someone that's a bit more like... the healer version of Shantotto II, more or less. I only have access to Kupipi and Mihli and both seem to burn through their MP pools at a really fast rate.

The jp wiki has a little more info on the abilities used by trusts but unless you can read Japanese it won't help.

Healer Role Trusts

Unity Concord Trusts

Loona

This guide is pretty damn great - I wonder why the writer chose Google Docs over the wiki, but then again, Wikia's getting way too many ads to be practical nowadays:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...-KirP5oZ9d9-aJRG1ItE/mobilebasic?pref=2&pli=1

ZetaEpyon

You could check the job guides on the FFXIAH forums, most of those threads have some updated information, even if the original post is a little out of date.

For dancer specifically, here's a copy of my current Gearswap lua:
http://pastebin.com/kWTU76Ti

Even if you don't use gearswap, you can probably at least get some idea of what I'm using on dancer right now for various job abilities and situations. Do note that I do have a i119 Terpsichore, so that does affect a few things in there.

My problem with the FFXI wikia isn't so much the ads but the stupidly tiny amounts of space the content is squeezed into. The main content on a page is constrained to 900px (!!!!) wide because of the god awful page design. I mean, c'mon...

Jijidasu

Gromph and I should be bouncing around this weekend again. JST and all of that but hopefully we can catch some people online.

There was a series of official novels that were even translated to French at one point (not sure about English though).

Still, they're pretty old by now and I'd be quite surprised if they matched the way the lore devrloped in the past decade...

Ah yes. I have most of those. Some are pretty good but none really tie in heavily with the events of the game. This one is just a complete script of all of the narrative with storyboard images and screen shots (funnily enough, taken on what appears to be the PS2 version. Nostalgia+1)

Lain

The jp wiki has a little more info on the abilities used by trusts but unless you can read Japanese it won't help.

Healer Role Trusts

Unity Concord Trusts

Wish I could read the language.

This guide is pretty damn great - I wonder why the writer chose Google Docs over the wiki, but then again, Wikia's getting way too many ads to be practical nowadays:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...-KirP5oZ9d9-aJRG1ItE/mobilebasic?pref=2&pli=1

This is pretty damn great, thanks!

You could check the job guides on the FFXIAH forums, most of those threads have some updated information, even if the original post is a little out of date.

For dancer specifically, here's a copy of my current Gearswap lua:
http://pastebin.com/kWTU76Ti

Even if you don't use gearswap, you can probably at least get some idea of what I'm using on dancer right now for various job abilities and situations. Do note that I do have a i119 Terpsichore, so that does affect a few things in there.

I didn't think about looking there. I've been using the site mainly just to check prices or availability of items while I was doing something else.
Good to know, and thanks for posting your lua script. I'm still low (haven't even capped thief yet) but it's nice to get an idea of what to work forward.

Top Bottom