• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII localization info

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
FFXII will be awesomeness beyond that of FFX and likely FFXIII. After all, it is a Matsuno game.

IMHO, the people who say they had more fun with FFX then they did with FFT or VS are pretty sad.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
speedpop said:
I can always record a rip of FFX's "laughter" scene for you and put it on repeat.
but that was just one scene. SO2 the whole fucking game had atrocious VA.

Red Scarlet

Adagio said:
It's a quote truth-fuck, man!

Oh, and I'm curious...for those of you who had the distinct pleasure of playing the import, which Final Fantasies do you feel are superior to 12? Or is Nostalgia being a bitch again?

I'd prefer 1,2,4,5,9,10 probably to 12 if I had to choose one to pick up and play a year from now without playing any of them until then.

ethelred

jj984jj said:
I couldn't play part 3 or 4 for more then that.

Oh, god, 3 was so awful. I wanted to shoot Virginia every time she opened her damned mouth.

"Wings! I'll fly around the desert on my wings! Spreading glitterdust of hope and courage because I am a drifterrrrr!"

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Error2k4 said:
not fair? both are RPG seems fair enough for me.
Wild arms is better then FFIV though. My point was FF is a series that had over 12 entires and the games are still above average quality, that more then I could say for more other seires. Wild Arms started going bad at 3, but FF made it to IV and beyond and still came across with a quality game.

Red Scarlet

jj984jj said:
Wild arms is better then FFIV though.
!
rallytwo.png

Red Scarlet

Try an Atari2600/Colecovision/Intellivision/Commodore64 etc-era forum. Anything from the NES years onward probably would have random bitching about FF.

ssoass

FFXII will rock... from all the info and videos I've seen, it looks like it will potentially have the best gameplay in an FF ever.
One thing's for sure... the music will be amazing... I've been listening to the PSF2s and I think this is musically the best FF since FF8, edging out FF9 by a bit. (wouldn't expect anything less from the FFT/Vagrant Story/Radiant Silvergun composer)
And as long as the voice acting is on par with DQ8, I'm happy...

Pellham

Banned
Shouta said:
I got a large post on the entire game on my HD that needs to be proofread and this is most definitely a sizable chunk of that =P. The gist is this though: License board is poorly laid out, characters are all essentially the same (with a few stat differences), you can purchase all the skills on the board and then are free to use them at any given time after purchasing them(well, there is a bit of a penalty but I'll get into in the post).

Sounds like a Kitase FF. :(

In either case, flaws or not, this game can't possibly be worse than FF6-FF11.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, interesting to hear all those negative comments...

I'm probably only around halfway through the game still (haven't had the time to devote and it generally takes me months to get through lengthy RPGs anyways), but I was planning on picking it back up on vacation next week. Should I expect disappointment with what's to come? I still really like it as of now. The story is still very enjoyable and the gameplay is a lot of fun.

JayDubya

Banned
Error2k4 said:
FFVI will always be the best FF :p

Lies! IV is superior!

VI was close to being the best, but the World of Ruin went all Morrowind suddenly. Since almost all the characters were optional to collect and some were possibly dead at that point, there was very, very little meaningful character development / character-specific dialogue from that point on. I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as I had enjoyed the World of Balance.

I will play the game one more time when the English verison comes out, but I fear for the voice quality. The OP mentions it wasn't bad but delivered in a monotone, which is bad, isn't it? Just don't destroy Balflear, and I might be able to forgive the other characters...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
jj984jj said:
Well I think it is, except for the OST it is a better game overall. Though FFVI beats the shit out of it. :D
what? if there is one thing where WA beats FFIV is the soundtrack man. WA ost fucking rox.

The real good news of the localization though is that Alexander O. Smith has gone balls-out Vagrant Story with the translation. So expect some very flowery (in the good way) psuedo old-English dialogue with more than a few Shakespearean double-entendres.

Hell yea, that guy is supposedly the god of localizations.

He is the one who did the Phoenix Wright localization for DS if I remember correctly.

Awesome...Wait...wait...

Shit I am buying this one in Japanese.... Oh well maybe I will get both copies.

JayDubya said:
Lies! IV is superior!

VI was close to being the best, but the World of Ruin went all Morrowind suddenly. Since almost all the characters were optional to collect and some were possibly dead at that point, there was very, very little meaningful character development / character-specific dialogue from that point on. I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as I had enjoyed the World of Balance.

I enjoyed the World of Ruin more than the World of Balance. I disagree, there was plenty of meaningful character development in the world of ruin. Cyan especially got a good chunk of it, and I loved how it was much more personal than it ever was in World of Balance.
It's FFIV that doesn't really have any meaningful character development besides Cecil and Kain.

Diablos said:
THEN USE A SPOILER TAG WHERE THERE ARE SPOILERS.

102nyj6.gif
Yeah, I know...but I figured depending on people's opinions, any number of things I mentioned could be considered a spoiler...didn't feel like tagging 80% of a big post, my apologies for laziness.

JayDubya

Banned
Himuro said:
Why is this always a problem with people?

Because it's important for characters to stand out with unique abilities. My favorite style of FF is one with set classes and class-defined abilities. If I had to rank them in this sort of way, it would have to be...

1, 4, 9 (Set Character Classes) > 6 (Set Character Classes, but all can learn magic) > FF2 (all characters get good at what they use most) > 10 (Sphere grid leads to at least SOME variance in the beginning before twinking the characters to high hell) > 3, 5 (Job System) > 7, 8 (Generic everyone can learn everyone else's abilities and swap Materia / GF at will).

Right now, I have no idea where the heck the Gambit / License system of FF12 falls within that. I'm assuming close to FFX's Sphere Grid. I'm also thinking that will probably mean early on you'll customize them to certain roles based on your choices, but eventually they'll all be exactly the same once you've done all the game content. :(

Magicpaint said:
I enjoyed the World of Ruin more than the World of Balance. I disagree, there was plenty of meaningful character development in the world of ruin. Cyan especially got a good chunk of it, and I loved how it was much more personal than it ever was in World of Balance.
It's FFIV that doesn't really have any meaningful character development besides Cecial and Kain.

Ironically, Cyan's my favorite character in that one, too! I think the gameplay was better / more interesting when you got to Ruin, but the plot was better in Balance, and for me, plot trumps gameplay.

I mean, the momentum is totally out of whack. If you just charge Kekfa's tower with Celes, Edgar, Setzer, and Sabin, you'll pretty much die horribly, but at least you still have some semblance of plot momentum. Spend dozens upon dozens of hours doing all the side-quests and getting all the characters and then it's like...
"Hrm... what were we doing again?"
"I remember something about a demented clown... hrrrm."
"Screw it, let's go kill some more dinosaurs!"

Diablos

Mistwalker said:
Yeah, I know...but I figured depending on people's opinions, any number of things I mentioned could be considered a spoiler...didn't feel like tagging 80% of a big post, my apologies for laziness.
I thought I glanced over something pretty big... do you have any massive story spoilers in there? Wrap a tag around it, jesus.

Himuro said:
Shit like that is what makes FF for me. That hidden shit you didn't know was there, and when you talk to your friends about it they're like,"OH I FOUND THIS, OR THAT!" and it's just fun. I like reward when doing sidequests. Reward through exploration. Seems like DQVIII, Final Fantasy X-2, and Suikoden V will be the only rpgs I truly get that does that this gen. =/
Well, exploration is still HUGE in this game, trust me. The areas are massive and you will constantly be stumbling upon new areas, passages, the occasional rare monster, etc.

There just aren't really any "quests" attached to them, unless you count the bounty hunts.

I prefer to be forced to think strategically with set character classes than to be given the possibility to make every character the same. I think it cheapens the experience.

brandonh83 said:
I wish FFXII would get the same kind of love and respect as VII, but that's not happening. :lol

yeah. this one just doesn't have the commercial appeal that some of the latest ones had

its going to be a shame

Diablos

No answer to my question, so I'm assuming Mistwalker put one big massive spoiler at the end of his post where I thought I saw it.

How could you NOT know to spoiler tag that?

Top Bottom