• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII localization info

Diablos

Yeah error. Yeah. This shit pisses me off. Here we are in a thread about LOCALIZATION and we're posting final game impressions?

There's a FFXII JP thread for that, holy shit.

I tagged a couple things in my last post, the rest is largely about the mechanics and what you'd expect to read in the manual.

On topic (shock!), I wonder how long before the game's release we'll be able to download videos with the English voice acting...it's a big budget title, and we've all been through this way too many times for large game companies to accept sub-par dubbing (one would hope).

JayDubya

Banned
Himuro said:
It's hardly important. You can make them stand out with unique abilities yourself. The game always doesn't have to force you in to that shit. I like games where all the characters are unique (Dragon fucking Quarter), but why do you guys want all rpgs like that?

It's important that not every character be a superhero capable of doing everything on their own. Why even bother having a party of heroes if they're all the same? It would be better just to have a single character.

Not that Final Fantasy has ever been extremely difficult, but IMHO gameplay is better when you need tactical contributions from all characters. Not every situation should be plowed through with Ultima magic, conversely, not every situation should involve mindless swordswinging, and it's annoying when characters can do both, rendering all other characters either useless, or clones of one another.

I'm still excited about FFXII, of course, but I want to read / learn more about this particular issue, i.e. how much difference does it make if you use character x vs. character y?

Error2k4 said:
thank god I didn't read Mistwalker post... phew.
Post deleted, I just had read some people's concerns about the gameplay (replayability in particular) and ran with it, my apologies for alarming everyone.

Diablos, there were no story spoilers in my post (all the plot stuff I mentioned was in the manual as the game's premise, which you may not want to know I guess), so you can rest easy there.

JayDubya

Banned
Having read Mist's post, I fail to see what the big deal is...?

THIS is an example of a (fake) spoiler:
Ashe is Vaan's mother zOMGzOMG :lol

THIS is not: The characters play the same except for their Mist Knacks.

All he did was talk about gameplay and speak in very generic terms about sidequests... >_>

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Mistwalker said:
Post deleted, I just had read some people's concerns about the gameplay (replayability in particular) and ran with it, my apologies for alarming everyone.

Diablos, there were no story spoilers in my post (all the plot stuff I mentioned was in the manual as the game's premise, which you may not want to know I guess), so you can rest easy there.
you didn't need to delete your post just put some spoiler tags here and there.

Yeah, I read mistwalker's post and didn't see anything spoilerific myself.

I think it's the spoiler warning he included in his post that was what turned heads, rather than its content.

Error2k4 said:
you didn't need to delete your post just put some spoiler tags here and there.
Well, I didn't think anything in there was spoiler-tag worthy, really...more importantly it had very little to do with localization. My feeble attempt to steer things back on topic, though FFXII definitely has a lot of fans wondering what to expect, that's for sure... :)

(Oh, and FFIV > all)

ronito

Himuro said:
Hmm so the only sidequest is monster hunting? What makes FF great ARE the sidequests, and for such a big open game this seems like a wasted opportunity. Give us hidden islands we can only explore via chocobo breeding, stuff like that is what made FFVII-FFIX fun

IAWTP. Especially playing through DQVIII right now especially drives this point home. good Side Quests are what make an rpg world seem fully realized instead of feeling you're being hand held through a story. And most hunting to me are always the most meaningless side quests too. Argh! This FFXII better not let me down I've been waiting forever and at $600 ($600?!!!) chances are I wont be playing FFXIII for a long long time, if at all.

DarknessTear said:
Uh Tidus' VA is amazing. He had some bad parts mainly because of the shitty things he was being forced to say.

It's funny to listen to other things he's voiced, like some of the Animatrix shorts, or to pay attention to how Tidus' voice gets lower and calmer chronologically through the story, and see how people judge him unfairly. The whole idea was to make Tidus be annoying and whiny at the beginning!

ssoass

Himuro said:
*sigh*

What's with the lack of high quality side quests? After FFX-2 I was hoping they'd make even better sidequests! But no!

FFXII is supposed to have tons of sidequests from what I've read... more than most other FFs.
Mob hunting isn't a sidequest, it's kind of like FFXII's mini game, like Chocobo breeding or Blitzball.

bluemax

Banned
Himuro said:
Hmm so the only sidequest is monster hunting? What makes FF great ARE the sidequests, and for such a big open game this seems like a wasted opportunity. Give us hidden islands we can only explore via chocobo breeding, stuff like that is what made FFVII-FFIX fun: the sense of exploration, reward, through doing the sidequests, and finding hidden places you never thought were there. There's a huge floating island in the sky! It'd be awesome if you could actually explore the world and find hidden places that initiate sidequests. :( Sigh.
=/

Sidequests make FF great? That was my least favorite thing about every PS era FF, the fact that more time went into developing stupid mini games and sidequests than making the normal game any good.

I'm glad there were no minigames in FFXII.

bluemax said:
Sidequests make FF great? That was my least favorite thing about every PS era FF, the fact that more time went into developing stupid mini games and sidequests than making the normal game any good.

I'm glad there were no minigames in FFXII.

Gimme a fuckin' break. The games wouldn't get any better if they didn't do them either way. PS era FF games are great, I don't know what you're smoking, but do yourself a favor and throw that shit away.

bluemax

Banned
DarknessTear said:
Gimme a fuckin' break. The games wouldn't get any better if they didn't do them either way. PS era FF games are great, I don't know what you're smoking, but do yourself a favor and throw that shit away.

I just got tired of 20 hour games suddenly becoming 40 hour games because of pointless "optional" (But not really that optional) mini games and sidequests. I don't mind a longer game, but make the experience more enjoyable and not some chocobo racing tedium. I think there's a difference between providing a solid core experience and throwing in optional stuff for those who really liked the game (say like what FFX did) versus packing a crapload of stuff in there to pad the game length.

Shouta

Pellham said:
Sounds like a Kitase FF. :(

In either case, flaws or not, this game can't possibly be worse than FF6-FF11.

Of those, the only game I consider to be lower than FF12 from a gameplay perspective is FF9.

Himuro said:
Why is this always a problem with people?

Because it makes gameplay more interesting and varied. Why use one character over another when there is no reason other than possibly a minor stat difference. To make a comparison, it'd be like playing a Street Fighter game that is entirely made up of Shoto characters like Ryu or Ken, where the hell is the fun in that.

From a story perspective, unique abilities generally reflect the character's personality in a game. So it's a way of reinforcing them without having to add more to the story. It's not a big thing but it's a nice little touch.

MoxManic said:
Wild Arms is trash

YEAH THAT'S RIGHT SHOUTA I WENT THERE

I'll cut you walrus face!

Seriously though, Wild Arms gets a bad rap around here especially Wild Arms 3 which I consider one of the better RPGs from last generation.

bluemax said:
I just got tired of 20 hour games suddenly becoming 40 hour games because of pointless "optional" (But not really that optional) mini games and sidequests. I don't mind a longer game, but make the experience more enjoyable and not some chocobo racing tedium. I think there's a difference between providing a solid core experience and throwing in optional stuff for those who really liked the game (say like what FFX did) versus packing a crapload of stuff in there to pad the game length.

If they're optional, they're optional. Also I've never heard of any 20 hour increase with sidequests. FFX left a lot to be desired. There was close to no exploration and it was too fucking short. It was a great game but it lacked the goodness of sidequests. Maybe you just like to beat games and get them over with but there's no harm in having extra shit at all.

bluemax

Banned
DarknessTear said:
If they're optional, they're optional. Also I've never heard of any 20 hour increase with sidequests. FFX left a lot to be desired. There was close to no exploration and it was too fucking short. It was a great game but it lacked the goodness of sidequests. Maybe you just like to beat games and get them over with but there's no harm in having extra shit at all.

You're right they are generally optional but there are a times when they don't feel that way and it gets tedious. And yes I generally prefer to play through a game and move on to a new one (with exceptions). I still think that post FF7 there is too much focus on minigames/sidequests for my taste. Sidequests are less bad in my mind than mini games. I realize this is personal preference so I don't expect anyone to agree with me, I just felt like noting that I enjoyed FFXII more because there is a good sense of exploration without the tedium of some collectathon sidequest or a chintzy minigame.

Not that Final Fantasy has ever been extremely difficult, but IMHO gameplay is better when you need tactical contributions from all characters. Not every situation should be plowed through with Ultima magic, conversely, not every situation should involve mindless swordswinging, and it's annoying when characters can do both, rendering all other characters either useless, or clones of one another.

That's why most FF games that do allow extensive customization either limit the number of abilities you can equip, make it prohibitively difficult for anyone but obsessive freaks to get all the abilities, or feature mechanisms that encourage specialization e.g. in FF7 each magic materia raises your MP and magic strength and reduces your HP and attack strength.

Lain

Shouta said:
Because it makes gameplay more interesting and varied. Why use one character over another when there is no reason other than possibly a minor stat difference. To make a comparison, it'd be like playing a Street Fighter game that is entirely made up of Shoto characters like Ryu or Ken, where the hell is the fun in that.

From a story perspective, unique abilities generally reflect the character's personality in a game. So it's a way of reinforcing them without having to add more to the story. It's not a big thing but it's a nice little touch.

So does this mean that the customization in FFXII is pretty good, given that the players can make every characters be the same if they so wish?
In RPGs i usually use a character over another because i like the character, not his/her abilities. If throu customization i can make a set of people be the way i want, and in that way i am able to use those for all the rest of the game, to me it means great customization. Is FFXII like that?

Mau ®

British accents FTW!!!

I love the post FFXII effect. It started as "OMG FFXII uis the best game of the Generation!!! Matsuno am gonna have sex!!!" then it went to "Yeah it was a good game but not THAT good"

No matter what this is Final Fantasy. The release of a new main FF should a gaming celebration, who knows when FFXIII will hit...

Top Bottom