• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 E3 Information Thread [Trailer, BioWare Storytelling, More]

Shadow780

miladesn said:
two more shots taken by game.watch.impress

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/gmw/docs/453/530/ff04.jpg[img]
[img]http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/gmw/docs/453/530/ff03.jpg[img]

[url]http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20110616_453530.html[/url][/QUOTE]

fiber hair.

Trent Strong said:
Well, making that 11 year old girl the lead character is gonna make any adult male who buys this look like a pedo. Bad idea.

Um...doesn't that apply for the majority of RPG's, especially JRPG's? I will never understand what the obsession is with really, really young lead characters. Gets sort of old and predictable imo.

StuBurns

Banned
Rhazer Fusion said:
Um...doesn't that apply for the majority of RPG's, especially JRPG's? I will never understand what the obsession is with really, really young lead characters. Gets sort of old and predictable imo.
They're played by children, I don't know how true it is, but it's generally considered to be easier to relate a protagonist that is closer to yourself.

StuBurns said:
They're played by children, I don't know how true it is, but it's generally considered to be easier to relate a protagonist that is closer to yourself.

Oh. I thought most hardcore JRPG players were in their early to mid 20's.

Dunan

StuBurns said:

That's one thing I never get; when I myself was a child or teenager, I didn't want to play games or read books where the protagonist was also a child or teenager. There were often kid sidekicks in the stories, but the main character was an adult. When I watched the Indiana Jones movies as a kid, for example, I might relate to the 13-year-old Short Round because he's also a kid, but I don't want him to be the star of the movie!

StuBurns

Banned
Rhazer Fusion said:
Oh. I thought most hardcore JRPG players were in their early to mid 20's.
I'm not sure if there is a general audience, I know DQ skews much older generally, but Kitase discussed having to direct mainline FFs towards teenagers, I believe in Edge a few years ago.
Dunan said:
That's one thing I never get; when I myself was a child or teenager, I didn't want to play games or read books where the protagonist was also a child or teenager. There were often kid sidekicks in the stories, but the main character was an adult. When I watched the Indiana Jones movies as a kid, for example, I might relate to the 13-year-old Short Round because he's also a kid, but I don't want him to be the star of the movie!
I felt the same yeah, oddly I'm more welcoming to that stuff now, Super 8 for example I don't think I would have enjoyed as a kid, I liked it a lot seeing it now.

EDIT: Although actually Flight of the Navigator and T2 were my favorite films for a while, so maybe I'm wrong.

I bought FFXIII in Japanese at launch, played for 32hours and then I did long pauses punctuated by short sessions, totalling to about 50hours. Then a week ago I decided to continue and MAN, I'm having a lot of fun with it now, I'm at 81hours just before the final boss with crystarium lvl.9 maxed for everyone and starred tier 2 weapons.
I don't know why it wasn't like that before but I'm totally into it (even if it's mostly grinding for gil right now)...which in turn makes my completely hyped for FFXIII-2.

Now that the sequel aims to correct most of the first's "flaws" I really think it's going to be a really awesome experience.

StuBurns said:
I believe someone from SE was asked about that recently and the answer has nothing to do with that.

Basically younger characters are less mature and more prone to changing as the story progresses, and seeing this whole maturation process happen is appealing to the Japanese.

Older adult characters tend to be already mature and are much more static in terms of character development, which makes it less interesting.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
InternHertz said:
I bought FFXIII in Japanese at launch, played for 32hours and then I did long pauses punctuated by short sessions, totalling to about 50hours. Then a week ago I decided to continue and MAN, I'm having a lot of fun with it now, I'm at 81hours just before the final boss with crystarium lvl.9 maxed for everyone and starred tier 2 weapons.
I don't know why it wasn't like that before but I'm totally into it (even if it's mostly grinding for gil right now)...which in turn makes my completely hyped for FFXIII-2.

Now that the sequel aims to correct most of the first's "flaws" I really think it's going to be a really awesome experience.

I also bought and played it in and around release. Finished it though, but I've only finished it the once this far. I aim to give it another try before XIII-2 comes out. Now that my "first try goggles" are off i might be able to see it for what it really is.

Kunohara

InternHertz said:

I just loved the game from the start. The visuals really made me keep going. I just wanted to go to the next area, and see what it looks like. And I fucking loved the combat system. Especially later one when you have to switch paradigms quickly and react to the battle. I really hope in XIII-2, that they use that mechanic more. Having to adapt your party in battle for what is happening is awesome.

So do we have samples of said "rap music" yet? Honestly its killing a good deal of my excitement for this game. I mean the music in XIII was great so anything less in unaccecptable.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dunan said:
I feel the same way sometimes. It kind of feels like the Star Wars prequel films where child Anakin was the star (I know it makes sense in the movie's context, but it's an example I can think of off the top of my head) but no one I knew (I was around 11 when that movie was released, I think) cared about him--they cared more about Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan because they were the ones getting stuff done without much extra bs.

I get that it's easier to evolve a teenage/child's character, but adults themselves can change too. It's just far less melodramatic. Or perhaps this is a sign of me getting old and realizing that I preferred the older characters in various media. The Persona, SMT, Fire Emblem and Suikoden games are the exception to the rule because, to put it bluntly, they're written better, imo.

While Nier remained somewhat static, adult characters like P4's Dojima or Genso Suikoden's Flik and Georg evolve (and even Chris Lightfellow, if age 21 qualifies as being an adult) somewhat, having some sort of (well-written) revelation to change their behaviour. I haven't played Catherine yet, but I'm curious to see if this trend continues with Vincent and his friends. While Radiant Historia's Stocke's age hasn't been confirmed to me (I probably missed it somewhere; Edit: I did--he's 19, apparently. He doesn't act like it, lol!), I feel like despite having a steady characterization throughout the game... rather than evolving his character or changing his character for the better, more facets of his character are revealed to the player throughout the game (rather than a serious spy at first, you realize that he's compassionate, considerate, and dedicated to his job, yet conflicted about it as well). That approach to characterization was quite interesting to see.

But like another poster said, coming-of-age stories are pretty popular in Japanese storytelling, are they not?

Dark Schala said:
I get that it's easier to evolve a teenage/child's character, but adults themselves can change too. It's just far less melodramatic. Or perhaps this is a sign of me getting old and realizing that I preferred the older characters in various media. The Persona, SMT, Fire Emblem and Suikoden games are the exception to the rule because, to put it bluntly, they're written better, imo.
I agree with this point wholeheartedly. I found the concept of Cecil's transformation in FFIV infinitely more interesting than any melodramatic, teenage, coming of age cliche found in most JRPGs. It's much more profound and shocking when a person, whose life has been full of experiences that have shaped them into the person they currently are, goes through something that makes them alter their attitude, outlook and subsequent actions. We need more games like that. It would be great if Final Fantasy would take the initiative and give us the game that FFXII was supposed to be.

Zoe

michaeltraps said:
I agree with this point wholeheartedly. I found the concept of Cecil's transformation in FFIV infinitely more interesting than any melodramatic, teenage, coming of age cliche found in most JRPGs. It's much more profound and shocking when a person, whose life has been full of experiences that have shaped them into the person they currently are, goes through something that makes them alter their attitude, outlook and subsequent actions. We need more games like that. It would be great if Final Fantasy would take the initiative and give us the game that FFXII was supposed to be.

You realize he was only 20, right?

vocab

Dark Schala said:
But like another poster said, coming-of-age stories are pretty popular in Japanese storytelling, are they not?

Yes and no. Really depends on the characters. In highschool? pass, only will look if there's a really interesting concept behind it. Post highschool? Sure I'll take a look. I personally prefer a Mature story, and there's a reason why I seek Seinen if possible because I'm sick of teenage protagonists that whine and bitch all the time. Also, most Teen stories are so predictable, especially in videogames.

dramatis

vocab said:
Yes and no. Really depends on the characters. In highschool? pass, only will look if there's a really interesting concept behind it. Post highschool? Sure I'll take a look. I personally prefer a Mature story, and there's a reason why I seek Seinen if possible because I'm sick of teenage protagonists that whine and bitch all the time. Also, most Teen stories are so predictable, especially in videogames.
The original subject wasn't about you...it was about a particularly common theme in Japanese storytelling.

Zoe said:
You realize he was only 20, right?
While no, I didn't realize that, I think it's more to do with his state of mind than his age. He isn't some plucky teenager looking to "come into his own," rather he's a guy whose set in his ways, has a sense of right and wrong which is changed throughout the game.

Special J

Banned
Rhazer Fusion said:

well kaim is a couple thousand years old :>

TheBanditKing said:
So do we have samples of said "rap music" yet? Honestly its killing a good deal of my excitement for this game. I mean the music in XIII was great so anything less in unaccecptable.
Did you never play the Persona games? It can work.

I honestly don't have a problem with rap music.. Even though I don't really trust SE with music now, because of how they handled that Leona Lewis song at the end of FFXIII. So fucking jarring and out of nowhere. It completely took me out of the moment.

XIII itself introduced a plethora of genres and styles that had before then never been heard in the series, and it made them work. I'm sure rap will be the same way. *shrug*

sonicmj1

InternHertz said:

I'm still around 40ish hours into FFXIII, but the moments I enjoyed the game the most were in Archelyte Steppe in Chapter 11, when I was running around and completing Marks and finding new areas. There, the story rarely interfered, and I actually felt like I was exploring instead of being funneled down a path. And because there was a lot of variation in enemy difficulty, the battles were hard and kept me on my toes.

Then I went into the tunnel into Mahabara or whatever, and the game went back to the same old linear grind, punctuated by awful interactions between a cast I didn't care about.

When you're away from the main plot, it's a lot easier to enjoy FFXIII, but those moments happen so rarely before the postgame. Hopefully, FFXIII-2's game structure will allow for more freedom like those later areas in FFXIII.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
matics said:
I honestly don't have a problem with rap music.. Even though I don't really trust SE with music now, because of how they handled that Leona Lewis song at the end of FFXIII. So fucking jarring and out of nowhere. It completely took me out of the moment.
Hamauzu's take on that... well, he pretty much dodged the question and seemed pretty indifferent.

OSV said:
OSV: We have to ask your opinion on the decision to use Leona Lewis’s “My Hands” as the theme song for FFXIII in America and Europe as opposed to the theme sung by Sayuri Sugawara.

Hamauzu: That is the singer Square-Enix found for the American and European version of the game. I only checked who it was. I think they thought she was suitable based on the flow of the game.
Source: OSV's Interview with Masashi Hamauzu regarding the FFXIII soundtrack

OSV also has some impressions on the FFXIII-2 Demo music here.

Prevailer

I don't know if its worth posting in a new thread...

EU-GAF, FF XIII-2 is playable in Europe long before GamesCom. Square Enix confirms appearence at the Japan Expo 2011 (this weekend, Paris) and AnimagiC 2011 (starting 29. July, Bonn, Germany).

I've asked SquareEnixEmily at Twitter if there is a playable Version at the Japan Expo. Her answer: "yes, if you know French, follow @SquareEnixFR for their updates :)"

Article at jpgames.de

The Demo at the AnimagiC in Bonn was confirmed some days before. Source (german).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
MCD said:
BioWare Storytelling?

Does that mean we can punch reporters then?

Serah can have sex with anyone.

Did you all know that this is not the first time the SE staff uses Bioware storytelling?

tacticsogre.jpg

sam27368

Banned
So what's the consensus on this? I quite enjoyed 13 but like many the lack of exploration and variety of areas left me somewhat unsatisfied.

ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
Did you all know that this is not the first time the SE staff uses Bioware storytelling?

tacticsogre.jpg

Dammit man. Bioware didn't invent dialogue choices.

Also the game was originally developed by Quest and Bioware's first game hadn't even been released by the time TO was made.

The Praiseworthy said:
I don't like this.... i like my event scenes directed and cinematic and that's it, nothing can change it or toy with it.

Then don't move the camera. It's not like they're forcing you to direct the scene yourself.

Top Bottom